Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,515 members, 7,808,878 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:30 PM

UCL: Napoli Vs Chelsea (3 - 1) On 21st February 2012 - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / UCL: Napoli Vs Chelsea (3 - 1) On 21st February 2012 (11842 Views)

Poll: Who Wins This Match?

Napoli: 65% (23 votes)
Chelsea: 22% (8 votes)
Draw: 11% (4 votes)
This poll has ended

Chelsea Vs Manchester City: FA Cup (5 - 1) oN 21st February 2016 / Everton Vs Chelsea (3 - 1) On 12th September 2015 / Napoli Vs Arsenal: UCL: (2 - 0) On 11th December 2013 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

UCL: Napoli Vs Chelsea (3 - 1) On 21st February 2012 by mukina2: 7:57pm On Feb 20, 2012
Andre Villas-Boas has insisted Chelsea have what it takes to win this season's Champions League, despite admitting they were "not good enough'' to beat a depleted npower Championship side.

Saturday's 1-1 FA Cup fifth round draw with injury-hit Birmingham did nothing to ease the pressure on Villas-Boas, whose players have produced their worst performances of the season at what appears to be the wrong time.

Chelsea's Champions League campaign resumes when they visit Napoli for their first leg of their last-16 clash.

A repeat of Saturday's display over the course of the tie will almost certainly result in elimination but Villas-Boas was confident his players would raise their game when it really mattered.

Indeed, the 34-year-old still believes he has a squad capable of ending the club's long wait for Champions League glory.

"If you go past Napoli then you can have a really good chance, depending on who you get in the draw - if you get a good draw,'' Villas-Boas said.

"It will be a massive challenge. Everyone saw what Napoli did in a group which put another English team out.''

That team was Barclays Premier League leaders Manchester City, who are 17 points better off than Villas-Boas' fifth-placed Chelsea.

The Portuguese has admitted finishing in the top four and qualifying for next season's Champions League is the minimum requirement this term - quite possibly in order for him to keep his job.

But another early exit from this season's competition - which would mark the third year in a row Chelsea had failed to reach the semi-finals - would really test the patience of billionaire owner Roman Abramovich.

Villas-Boas added: "The Champions League is a competition that everyone wants to win.

"The players will feel much more tension and feel it much more.

"There are two weeks between the games and it's important for us to be competent and to bring the game to Stamford Bridge with a win or a draw, ideally a scoring draw. Then we can finish the business here.''

Chelsea raised their game when reaching the Champions League knockout stage looked in doubt, beating Valencia 3-0 in December in what was their best performance of the season.

That was inspired by Didier Drogba, who must surely start following another abject performance by Fernando Torres against Birmingham.

The £50million man's stock has never been lower following a 20th club game without a goal, especially after playing every match since Drogba departed on African Nations Cup duty.

That eight-week period looked the Spaniard's best chance of rediscovering his form but Villas-Boas claimed the renewed competition from Drogba's return could be the real catalyst.

He said: "Everybody is desperate for him (Torres) to score. Everybody pushes him, praises him in training and it will come with him getting opportunities.

"His confidence is low but we will have to continue to persist with our belief in his talent.''

Chelsea will give captain John Terry until the last possible moment to prove his fitness for the game following three weeks out with a knee problem.

Villas-Boas said: "If he misses out on Tuesday then we will miss a top, top player and a player who gives us great defensive stability.

"It would be a massive loss for us, that's for sure.''

Match
Re: UCL: Napoli Vs Chelsea (3 - 1) On 21st February 2012 by AndreUweh(m): 10:54pm On Feb 20, 2012
Am afraid, my beloved Chelsea stands no chance against the Napoli side I watched last Saturday that destroyed Fiorentina in front of their home crowd. My only consolation is that the return leg will be at the bridge.
Re: UCL: Napoli Vs Chelsea (3 - 1) On 21st February 2012 by dyabman(m): 6:00am On Feb 21, 2012
a surprise win tonight
Re: UCL: Napoli Vs Chelsea (3 - 1) On 21st February 2012 by Titho: 8:15am On Feb 21, 2012
Is there a free channel to show chelsea v napoly
Re: UCL: Napoli Vs Chelsea (3 - 1) On 21st February 2012 by Funkymallam(m): 8:58am On Feb 21, 2012
I think Chelsea plays better against bigger opponents these days
Re: UCL: Napoli Vs Chelsea (3 - 1) On 21st February 2012 by Babamide(m): 9:09am On Feb 21, 2012
What is chelsea going to do now? Please no torres oh. We have a better chance of scoring without him. I'm expecting chelsea to lose sha but let's hope for a surprise
Re: UCL: Napoli Vs Chelsea (3 - 1) On 21st February 2012 by Babasquare: 9:19am On Feb 21, 2012
After this tie matches, AVB could be the worst coach in Chelsea's Abrahamovic era. He needs to wake up and smell the coffee. His tactics and team selections leave a lot to be desired. Abrahamovic will sack him regardless of the cost if we fail to progress.
Re: UCL: Napoli Vs Chelsea (3 - 1) On 21st February 2012 by purplekayc(m): 9:37am On Feb 21, 2012
@dyabman: you better wake up!
Re: UCL: Napoli Vs Chelsea (3 - 1) On 21st February 2012 by RichieRose: 10:37am On Feb 21, 2012
Something has to be done about Torres! He could be sent on loan to see if he can improve, or sold out to another interested team. Why do we stayed glue to something that is not working. His kind of football is not Chelsea's. He is used to scoring only finished balls, now that he has to work for his ball, it becomes glaring that it is difficult for him to fit in to such squad. Please let me just go, so that we could use the money to feed on other issues, pleeeeaaassseee!!!!
Re: UCL: Napoli Vs Chelsea (3 - 1) On 21st February 2012 by EFCC1(m): 11:45am On Feb 21, 2012
Blues is ma colour
Re: UCL: Napoli Vs Chelsea (3 - 1) On 21st February 2012 by kcemeto(m): 11:46am On Feb 21, 2012
coolviva chelsea all d way, bt beyond dat truth must b told, d sack of AVB is d begining of Chelsea wisdom, am out.[quote][/quote][color=#000099][/color]
Re: UCL: Napoli Vs Chelsea (3 - 1) On 21st February 2012 by sweetnigar: 1:20pm On Feb 21, 2012
Loading,
Re: UCL: Napoli Vs Chelsea (3 - 1) On 21st February 2012 by Nobody: 1:26pm On Feb 21, 2012
I hope for a surprise tonight not raising my hopes high. I fancy a draw
Re: UCL: Napoli Vs Chelsea (3 - 1) On 21st February 2012 by IYANGBALI: 2:43pm On Feb 21, 2012
gradually coming to the end of the road ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d

Re: UCL: Napoli Vs Chelsea (3 - 1) On 21st February 2012 by janga(m): 3:08pm On Feb 21, 2012
i fink we should managed to got draw & finish the rest in Stamford Bright!!
u guyz even 4get that chelsea z d remainin england in Champion league
Re: UCL: Napoli Vs Chelsea (3 - 1) On 21st February 2012 by Homar(m): 3:21pm On Feb 21, 2012
The taught of cavani who likes to destroy big teams also that of lavezzi whose pace will destroy chelsea defence and hamsik-marek who is also an excellent attacker . Chelsea is doomed to fail if they dont defend well.
Re: UCL: Napoli Vs Chelsea (3 - 1) On 21st February 2012 by dayokanu(m): 6:21pm On Feb 21, 2012
^^ Cavani, Lavezzi, Hamsik, Inler, etc were tamed by bayern in the group stage
Re: UCL: Napoli Vs Chelsea (3 - 1) On 21st February 2012 by Nobody: 6:55pm On Feb 21, 2012
Less than 2 hrs before the match. Can't wait
Re: UCL: Napoli Vs Chelsea (3 - 1) On 21st February 2012 by amauri(m): 7:01pm On Feb 21, 2012
I don't think chelsea will win tonight but I tink they win at stamford bridge and progress to th next round.But I think a draw or losing by one goal margin and scoring an away goal should be enough for them to take to England.
Re: UCL: Napoli Vs Chelsea (3 - 1) On 21st February 2012 by FBS: 8:14pm On Feb 21, 2012
A win. Lets go there. cool cheesy
Re: UCL: Napoli Vs Chelsea (3 - 1) On 21st February 2012 by biolabee(m): 8:26pm On Feb 21, 2012
bold move by AVB,

Not starting Lamps, Torres, Essien,

Napoli to take it

Lineups

Napoli v Chelsea
Napoli: De Sanctis, Campagnaro, Cannavaro, Aronica, Maggio, Inler, Gargano, Zuniga, Hamsik, Lavezzi, Cavani. Subs: Rosati, Grava, Dossena, Dzemaili, Fernandez, Pandev, Britos.

Chelsea: Cech, Ivanovic, Cahill, Luiz, Bosingwa, Ramires, Meireles, Malouda, Sturridge, Drogba, Mata. Subs: Turnbull, Cole, Essien, Lampard, Torres, Mikel, Kalou.
Re: UCL: Napoli Vs Chelsea (3 - 1) On 21st February 2012 by MeGaStReEt: 8:31pm On Feb 21, 2012
Essien, Mikel and Lampard dey bench. This coach no just like himself.

Napoli make una carry carry GO!
Re: UCL: Napoli Vs Chelsea (3 - 1) On 21st February 2012 by Chrisbenogor(m): 8:39pm On Feb 21, 2012
MeGaStReEt:

Essien, Mikel and Lampard dey bench. This coach no just like himself.

Napoli make una carry carry GO!
Chelsea have to learn to start doing without these players, its sad that football fans never see past the next game to be played. If AVB is sacked Roman might as well sell the club.
Re: UCL: Napoli Vs Chelsea (3 - 1) On 21st February 2012 by bigsean(m): 8:48pm On Feb 21, 2012
RichieRose:

Something has to be done about Torres! He could be sent on loan to see if he can improve, or sold out to another interested team. Why do we stayed glue to something that is not working. His kind of football is not Chelsea's. He is used to scoring only finished balls, now that he has to work for his ball, it becomes glaring that it is difficult for him to fit in to such squad. Please let me just go, so that we could use the money to feed on other issues, pleeeeaaassseee!!!!
Ur comment shows u never knew torres when he was the real deal in Alt. madrid and ofcos a "god among men" at liverpool. Anybody who knew/watched he's game then is shocked at how bad a player can deteriorate before our very own eyes.
Is he crap now? yes!: should chelsea let him go? they should count their loss and sell him.
But saying that he only scored "finished balls", U sir have either exposed ur lack of soccer knowledge or u never watched torres in form. For your sake, i sincerely wish its the latter. (cos youtube can be of great help on that issue)
Re: UCL: Napoli Vs Chelsea (3 - 1) On 21st February 2012 by mukina2: 8:50pm On Feb 21, 2012
Game on!

gen gen ,  freddooooo nor miss me too much oh grin i gast be somewhia and will be going and coming grin

kay-dee  tongue
Re: UCL: Napoli Vs Chelsea (3 - 1) On 21st February 2012 by FBS: 8:53pm On Feb 21, 2012
Fired up.
Re: UCL: Napoli Vs Chelsea (3 - 1) On 21st February 2012 by executinal(m): 8:54pm On Feb 21, 2012
^^ bring this game up. i don find am tire wink
Re: UCL: Napoli Vs Chelsea (3 - 1) On 21st February 2012 by executinal(m): 8:56pm On Feb 21, 2012
That guy na offside angry
Re: UCL: Napoli Vs Chelsea (3 - 1) On 21st February 2012 by Funkymallam(m): 8:57pm On Feb 21, 2012
Muki, frnt page jor.
Bluzzz all d way
Re: UCL: Napoli Vs Chelsea (3 - 1) On 21st February 2012 by Nobody: 8:57pm On Feb 21, 2012
where can I watch it online please!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Kenyan Commits Suicide Over Manchester United Loss To Newcastle / Liverpool Vs Manchester Utd [2 - 0] On Sunday 25th October / UCL: Dortmund Vs Real Madrid (2 - 1) On 24th October

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.