Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,719 members, 7,805,962 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:15 AM

My Girlfriend Lied About Her Age: Should I Dump Her? - Romance (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / My Girlfriend Lied About Her Age: Should I Dump Her? (30558 Views)

Poll: Should I dump my girlfriend for lying about her age?

Yes: 16% (23 votes)
No: 83% (117 votes)
This poll has ended

She's Stingy, Should I Dump Her? / How To Deal With Someone Who Lied About Sleeping With You / At What Age Should A Man/Woman Get Married? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Girlfriend Lied About Her Age: Should I Dump Her? by akara(m): 11:04am On Oct 25, 2007
show me the woman who has not lied about her age at one point, some remain 20 to 25 year in year out.
Re: My Girlfriend Lied About Her Age: Should I Dump Her? by swiftycool(m): 11:13am On Oct 25, 2007
@ poster
A Girl that lies about her age for as long as two years is likely to have lied about a thousand other things more to you to gain your trust. Listen, she only opened up because she was caught. If she was able to actually conceal this fact perfectly from her closest one, then she is capable of worse things.

she may have a lot of other skeletons, just get a hold of another and she will start crying that she also meant to tell you that too. A friend of mine got to know after 4 years that a child his girl had, had been introduced as her baby brother even by the mum!

He only got know from a slip out by family members a week to wedding preparations, HOW CRUEL! funny he had 4given her for previously over lying about her age, like in this case.

Any woman that cant open up their true self in the first 6 months of a relationship is dangerous. Let people love u 4 who u are not who u want them to believe u are. 2years is too long a time to keep such secret. verdict -SHE IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH, just wait and see
Re: My Girlfriend Lied About Her Age: Should I Dump Her? by klassyguy(m): 11:34am On Oct 25, 2007
Nah, there's no sense in just dumping her cos she lied to u about her age. Most girls i know lie about their ages, and maybe she was scared u will not want her anymore when she found out u were younger than her, but didn't know how to tell u. just sit her down and have a good talk with her. Best of luck.
Re: My Girlfriend Lied About Her Age: Should I Dump Her? by somze(f): 11:49am On Oct 25, 2007
I'm against lying and I think its a sad and hurtful experience to find out your patner has been lying to you about anything.

However, I think ending this relationship based on this particular experience would be premature and rash, I agree with Davidylan that she may have lied based on insecurity. I hate to think of the fact that she may have hid other things based on this same insecurity.

This is how it goes, if its past, let go and forgive. Hey its only an age issue and you know the family well as I can deduce. If you can not let go and forgive then you can break up with her but that would be a very harsh decision which you may most certainly regret.
Re: My Girlfriend Lied About Her Age: Should I Dump Her? by tenor(m): 12:09pm On Oct 25, 2007
@poster
Do you know what you are saying at all? Dump her because she lied to you about her age? Thats why you'll never get any other secrets from her. See your reaction to something as trivial as age. Everybody has a past. She hasnt lost out, you have! I'll explain in two points:
1. If you dont get her back, you've lost a correct girl, her mama don already accept you sef.

2. Even if you get her back, you probably will never get any secrets from her, she wouldnt be able to open up to you, cos of your childish reactions.

So you see, both ways you lose. Since the harm is done, all you can do is surprise her by looking for her and apologising and making her understand that she can tell you anyhthing and you are there with her through thick and thin. She "might" love you for this. Imagine. Kai, pple sef!
Re: My Girlfriend Lied About Her Age: Should I Dump Her? by Etin(f): 12:26pm On Oct 25, 2007
@ Poster

Did she categorically lie to you about her age or did she just allow you go on with your own wrong impression of her age? I would suggest you talk about it and continue with the relationship. People in love sometimes do foolish things out of fear of loosing the love of the person they love and their understanding of your values in that direction. This doesn't make it right it just makes them human. To ere is human to forgive is divine. You may be feeling you've been made a fool of let it go as that was not the motive. Please be weary of people you suggest end the relationship because of this lie. If she is a liar you would have know by now. I believe challenges come to people because they can handle it. This has come to you because you can. What does not break you makes you. I wish all the best.
Re: My Girlfriend Lied About Her Age: Should I Dump Her? by Etin(f): 12:31pm On Oct 25, 2007
akara:

show me the woman who has not lied about her age at one point, some remain 20 to 25 year in year out.

I have never lied about my age I just keep celebrating an anniversary of my 21st birthday! ie 19th anniversary of my 21st birthday when I hit 40 if you do the maths you get the age. grin grin grin
Re: My Girlfriend Lied About Her Age: Should I Dump Her? by amaikama(m): 12:38pm On Oct 25, 2007
Hahaha!!! old boy you really make me laugh no be small!!! grin so bicos ur woman tell u say she be small pikin na make u love am and wen em mama come tell u say she be woman u come dey carry face. between u and her now, who be small pikin? u don ever think say if she tell u the truth una go fit love each other now like bird? come to think of it, wen lie become something important in Naija? we dey talk lie efery day. na today lie start!! angry

Abeg, no leave that woman ooo!! but if u leave her just give me her number make i wipe the teas wey wan fall for her eyes. grin
Re: My Girlfriend Lied About Her Age: Should I Dump Her? by orosun(f): 1:10pm On Oct 25, 2007
lipsrsealed lipsrsealed pls forgive her,when it comes to age ,almost all the girls are guilty.if you drop her becos of that ,the next one you will meet ,Bros at the end its going to be same story,my boyfriend told me ,"i know you dont tell me your real age" i wanna warn my mum when i get home for xmas not to ,
Re: My Girlfriend Lied About Her Age: Should I Dump Her? by Elizabeth(f): 1:25pm On Oct 25, 2007
Don't do because of that and leave her! She really loves u and i know u do too,age is no barrier so far u understood each other.Please,my own advise is that u should continue with the way u've been doing with her before,pls for God's sake not for human sake.
Re: My Girlfriend Lied About Her Age: Should I Dump Her? by laa(m): 1:31pm On Oct 25, 2007
men its common with all these shawty na so dem dey lie but come to think of it age is a number now , there no guarantee say 45 year old woman go die b4 30 year old guy now, so go ahead tide the knot heh
Re: My Girlfriend Lied About Her Age: Should I Dump Her? by Memmyluv(f): 1:39pm On Oct 25, 2007
I wldnt say u shd break up with her,although wat she did was wrong but lets' say, she is scared of losing u if u know she is older than u are.
C'mon you can forgive her since she is a wife material, although with wat she did some sense of trust is definately gone in ur relationship but always remember that everybody has a past including YOU.
Re: My Girlfriend Lied About Her Age: Should I Dump Her? by Nobody: 1:43pm On Oct 25, 2007
akara:

here they go again making conclusions on the female gender.

Show me the man, footballers, job-seekers who has not lied about his age at one point of the other too? Mind you, I'm not trying to justify liars here! . .but trying to erase some notions. . . . . if not for etteh

@poster
I know what she did was bad, but since she has realised her mistakes and her fear! Please, do forgive her!!!
Re: My Girlfriend Lied About Her Age: Should I Dump Her? by charlisco(m): 1:47pm On Oct 25, 2007
I think you are not the only one experiencing that situation. The girl i am having the  intention to date as my girlfriend, is older dan me with 4months, i knew of it when i saw her national id card.
Before i start having affair with her, i taught i was older than her with atleast 2years, only for the reverse to be the case. Recently, i notice that she do reduce her age when apply for admission. not knowing that i already knew her age,
But one thing i knew of, she is doing allthat to secure our relationship.

So what i am about telling u is that,she love you that was why she did that.
Re: My Girlfriend Lied About Her Age: Should I Dump Her? by ayomifull(f): 1:49pm On Oct 25, 2007
Why did she lie was she afraid you could leave her? there is no fear in love. Well in my opinion may be i am living in the past but i think its not good enough for her to have kept it for so long who knows what other wrong  information you have? Just think well before going ahead.

The issue of trust plays a serious role in marriage and from experience i will say if you  think you can no longer trust her just forget about it, time will heal your wounds, marriage could be hell if one has a reason not to trust the other it will impact on your relationship and if you want to continue make sure you are not the one who will feel bad for marying an older wife, i for one would not marry a guy one month older than me so if you are like me just forget it. This happened to a friend and this was after they are married with 4 kids it actually wounded the marriage till today although they are together but things arent the same, so think well good luck.
Re: My Girlfriend Lied About Her Age: Should I Dump Her? by Adaugo01(f): 1:51pm On Oct 25, 2007
@poster, plz don't dump her,
she would have still told u if her mother did not,
so just be good,
Re: My Girlfriend Lied About Her Age: Should I Dump Her? by Mystique(f): 1:57pm On Oct 25, 2007
@ Poster: No one can advise you on what to do, at the end of the day, its YOUR call to make, so get on with it. . . . angry
Re: My Girlfriend Lied About Her Age: Should I Dump Her? by Joey82(m): 1:57pm On Oct 25, 2007
@poster,
fact remains that u still love her even though she lied 2 u, only heaven knows what else she's been hiding 4rm u. But since u said she's a good girl, u can rebuild ur trust in her and carry on once again.
Re: My Girlfriend Lied About Her Age: Should I Dump Her? by ewons1(m): 2:08pm On Oct 25, 2007
@EVERYONE,
well av taken pains 2 read what y'all av said.and i perfectly understand d poster from his point of view.but i want to ask y'all a question;WHAT IS LOVE?

love to me,is FINDING D IMPERFECT PERSON PERFECT!

so if this my little definition goes down well with y'all.then i think d poster should give her a second chance,she deserves it.

for her 2 still stick 2 u,even when she knows she's older proofs 2 us that she respects ur decision,sees u as d boss all d time and loves u very muchand she's ready to be submissive evn in wedlock.

my mum of blessed memory was older than my dad,but i swear i never saw it in her 4 a second.she got 2 tell me few months before she died.i honestly enjoyed their union especially the mutual respect they have for each other and that was because ,apart from love,God was always in their centre of affairs,which is very important in a marital life.

so my dear poster,go get ur girl back and make her feel secured with u k?

all da best bro,
Re: My Girlfriend Lied About Her Age: Should I Dump Her? by kaylala(m): 2:10pm On Oct 25, 2007
what is the big deal,its normal for girls to lie about their age espeacially those that age is no longer on there side before they get married.
Re: My Girlfriend Lied About Her Age: Should I Dump Her? by abriya(m): 2:19pm On Oct 25, 2007
@ Showbobo
If madam sori mister ETTEH catches you, you are on your own oooo.
@ ALL
Really sori 4 diverting,
Is (Madam/Mri don't which to use) ETTEH married?
I need this answer sincerely.
Re: My Girlfriend Lied About Her Age: Should I Dump Her? by Bblak(f): 2:25pm On Oct 25, 2007
@poster
There is no point dumping her Ok.From your story the girl is 3yrs older than you and still hold u in high esteem by being submissive to u to the extent that u cld not noticed she was older than u.Age is just a numerical figure and should not be a criteria for true love.Her lying 2 u abt her age simply means that she loves you and was scared of what may happen if she eventually tell u she's older than you.Dumping her and throwing her love back to her face won't help u in anyway ok.No big deal at all.shit happens

Besides, what's the evidence that the next girl will be any better? lipsrsealed
Re: My Girlfriend Lied About Her Age: Should I Dump Her? by Uche2nna(m): 2:29pm On Oct 25, 2007
Wat has age gat to do with it

She lied, well maybe it was because she knew u would be reacting this way

If u really like her up to the point of contemplating marriage, dude, my opinion is dat u should go with it
Re: My Girlfriend Lied About Her Age: Should I Dump Her? by habibi777(m): 2:42pm On Oct 25, 2007
ore i don't think you should , call her and ask why she did am sure she will have a good reason for laing  wink
Re: My Girlfriend Lied About Her Age: Should I Dump Her? by JeSoul(f): 2:49pm On Oct 25, 2007
@Poster,
you should listen to Davidylan- that is true wisdom coming from an experienced man.

My boyfriend lied about his age when we first started going out, saying he was 2 years older when he was actually a yr younger than me.

He mustered up the courage to tell me about 5 months into the relationship (we've been together now 3.5 years). You should have seen how scared and nervous he was so I understand your girlfriend being so scared to tell you.
I was angry at first but got over it -YOU WILL GET OVER IT TOO. This is not that big a deal for you to throw away 2years of relationship, that will be too bad.
Re: My Girlfriend Lied About Her Age: Should I Dump Her? by jintujinta(m): 2:50pm On Oct 25, 2007
Can we just look at it from another angle? How did he get to know her age? Did she tell her? Did she know his age before telling her own age. If she did not, then maybe it isnt a crime. She may just have had that as her official age. However, if she cut her age because of hi, then she's a cheat!

Another thing, how old is she now? Is she a quarter to thirty? I know girls get desperate to get married once they are 28yrs. They are usually afraid of clocking 30yrs as singles. So if she is on the desperate lane, then don't take her submission for real. She could be doing it to get what she wants. Once she gets you, you may discover many other things she has kept from you.

So i wont tell you wether to dump or go ahead but answer my questions sincerely and read inbetween the lines to know what to do. All the best!
Re: My Girlfriend Lied About Her Age: Should I Dump Her? by ifyalways(f): 2:52pm On Oct 25, 2007
if you ever really loved her,then go ahead and marry her.she lied to you cos she loved you.dont throw away a good gal cos of a lie.good gals dont come easily . tongue tongue tongue
Re: My Girlfriend Lied About Her Age: Should I Dump Her? by evergie(m): 4:10pm On Oct 25, 2007
This guy must be mad, why would you want to dump your girlfriend because she lied about her age. Age is nothing but a number. Please grow and learn.
Re: My Girlfriend Lied About Her Age: Should I Dump Her? by Soundmind(m): 4:31pm On Oct 25, 2007
If there is no other reason other than telling you lie on her birth day, take her back and take her out soonest. She still respect you as her prince.
My girlfie hid more worrisome things than that, but we are still together.
She will respect you the more if you reunite now before it becomes another Ettegate.
Re: My Girlfriend Lied About Her Age: Should I Dump Her? by finemocha(f): 4:35pm On Oct 25, 2007
my goodness just for lieing about her age, wow i wonder what u will do if ur wife lies to u about something worse. well to each his own sha sha. personally i wont break up with the babe, but remember at some point u are going to lie to someone u care about. i just hope that htey are more lenient with u than u are with her right now.
Re: My Girlfriend Lied About Her Age: Should I Dump Her? by anny2007: 4:50pm On Oct 25, 2007
My sincere advise to u is that u shd just call her nd make her realise how hurt u r cos of the information she kept from or rather lied abt, She must av been scared to tell u cos u may leave her, she must have loved u so much
Re: My Girlfriend Lied About Her Age: Should I Dump Her? by pastorjay: 4:56pm On Oct 25, 2007
My dear poster,
come let me pray for you,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

I'm Married But I Want To Help My Ex Financially / Amazing Pre-wedding Shots Of A Nairalander's Sister / Met A Lady Who Wouldn't Date Any Guy If Marriage Isn't Guaranteed After 6 Months

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.