Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,429 members, 7,808,530 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:05 PM

Lagos Shuts Down Lord’s Chosen, 6 Other Churches - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Lagos Shuts Down Lord’s Chosen, 6 Other Churches (45353 Views)

Deeper Life Bible Church Among Other Churches? / RCCG, E.A. Adeboye (and All Other Churches) - Free Will Or Predestination? / The Truth About The Catholic Church: And Other Churches: In History (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Shuts Down Lord’s Chosen, 6 Other Churches by jidsoon(m): 2:44pm On Feb 21, 2012
The Lagos State Government has shut down the Lord’s Chosen Charismatic Ministry and six other churches in Lagos, Southwest Nigeria over noise pollution.

Officials of the Lagos State Environmental Protection Agency, LASEPA stormed a branch of the Lord’s Chosen Church at 25 Omobola Street, Lawanson, Surulere area at the weekend and shut it down.

Other affected churches are Bible Church, FESTAC; The Chapter of Christ Church, Oregun, Ikeja; Assemblies of God Church, Ikeja; The Golden Gate Church, Ifako-Ijaiye and Seek and Save Ministry, Abule Egba.

The closure of the churches is coming after pre-sanction notices were given to the churches to abate the noise pollution emanating from their worship centres.

General Manager, LASEPA, Engr. Rasheed Shabi said the closure of the churches became imperative after several abatement notices issued to them were disregarded.

According to him, some of the churches even rebuffed meetings called by the agency on how to resolve the issue.

“The agency’s stance is clear on issue of noise pollution level permitted. This has been communicated to all worship centres in the state.

“The level of noise pollution allowed in the state is between 55 decibel during the day and 42 to 45 decibel at night,” he said.

Shabi said the state government was determined to reduce noise pollution in the state because of the anomalies and diseases related to it.

He enjoined worship centres in the state to comply with the state’s standard on noise, while suggesting the use of sound proof equipment by churches to reduce noise during their worship services.

Meanwhile, the large expanse of land in Ayobo where the temporary headquarters of Deeper Life Bible Church is situated may soon become a subject of litigation, as the Olalere Family has asked the church to vacate the land.

The over 150 acres of land covering Amule, Ayobo and Onikanga communities, currently accommodates the Deeper Life Bible Church main auditorium, the International Bible Training College and the proposed Anchor University owned by founder of the church, Pastor Williams Kumuyi.

Although Deeper Life Bible Church has been in possession of the land for over 30 years, the Olalere Family who now claim ownership of the land has declared the church as an illegal occupant and warned that the family may resort to court action to evict the church if it does not legalise its tenancy of the land.

The Olalere family in a letter to the church dated 7 February 2012 noted that by virtue of a 2010 court ruling by Justice Oyekan Abdullahi, the entire Ayobo community land belongs to them, and any occupant currently on the land must renegotiate their tenancy with the family.

When our reporter contacted the church over the development, secretary to the church, Pastor Jerry Asemota, said he was personally unaware of any letter to the church by the Olalere family.

He, however, said that only the legal department of the church could confirm receipt of such letters.

When asked about the Olalere family’s claim of ownership to the church land, he said: “I can assure you that we are not illegal occupants. We have been in possession of this land for 30 years and if the initial owners have problem among themselves, they should settle it amicably.”

http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2012/02/21/lagos-shuts-down-lords-chosen-6-other-churches/
Re: Lagos Shuts Down Lord’s Chosen, 6 Other Churches by Godessa(f): 3:35pm On Feb 21, 2012
which one is golden gate church again abeg?
Re: Lagos Shuts Down Lord’s Chosen, 6 Other Churches by chuks49(m): 3:37pm On Feb 21, 2012
Mosque won't make the list even with their daily call to prayer that sounds very annoying.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Shuts Down Lord’s Chosen, 6 Other Churches by ifihearam: 3:37pm On Feb 21, 2012
God punish dat engineer,when these muslims they disturb from their mosques,how many dem fit shut idiots and btw some churches dey disturb sha.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Shuts Down Lord’s Chosen, 6 Other Churches by Nobody: 3:38pm On Feb 21, 2012
Godessa:

I wonder o
Re: Lagos Shuts Down Lord’s Chosen, 6 Other Churches by abhosts(m): 3:39pm On Feb 21, 2012
jidsoon:

The Lagos State Government has shut down the Lord’s Chosen Charismatic Ministry and six other churches in Lagos, Southwest Nigeria over noise pollution.

Officials of the Lagos State Environmental Protection Agency, LASEPA stormed a branch of the Lord’s Chosen Church at 25 Omobola Street, Lawanson, Surulere area at the weekend and shut it down.

Other affected churches are Bible Church, FESTAC; The Chapter of Christ Church, Oregun, Ikeja; Assemblies of God Church, Ikeja; The Golden Gate Church, Ifako-Ijaiye and Seek and Save Ministry, Abule Egba.

The closure of the churches is coming after pre-sanction notices were given to the churches to abate the noise pollution emanating from their worship centres.

General Manager, LASEPA, Engr. Rasheed Shabi said the closure of the churches became imperative after several abatement notices issued to them were disregarded.

According to him, some of the churches even rebuffed meetings called by the agency on how to resolve the issue.

“The agency’s stance is clear on issue of noise pollution level permitted. This has been communicated to all worship centres in the state.

“The level of noise pollution allowed in the state is between 55 decibel during the day and 42 to 45 decibel at night,” he said.

Shabi said the state government was determined to reduce noise pollution in the state because of the anomalies and diseases related to it.

He enjoined worship centres in the state to comply with the state’s standard on noise, while suggesting the use of sound proof equipment by churches to reduce noise during their worship services.

Meanwhile, the large expanse of land in Ayobo where the temporary headquarters of Deeper Life Bible Church is situated may soon become a subject of litigation, as the Olalere Family has asked the church to vacate the land.

The over 150 acres of land covering Amule, Ayobo and Onikanga communities, currently accommodates the Deeper Life Bible Church main auditorium, the International Bible Training College and the proposed Anchor University owned by founder of the church, Pastor Williams Kumuyi.

Although Deeper Life Bible Church has been in possession of the land for over 30 years, the Olalere Family who now claim ownership of the land has declared the church as an illegal occupant and warned that the family may resort to court action to evict the church if it does not legalise its tenancy of the land.

The Olalere family in a letter to the church dated 7 February 2012 noted that by virtue of a 2010 court ruling by Justice Oyekan Abdullahi, the entire Ayobo community land belongs to them, and any occupant currently on the land must renegotiate their tenancy with the family.

When our reporter contacted the church over the development, secretary to the church, Pastor Jerry Asemota, said he was personally unaware of any letter to the church by the Olalere family.

He, however, said that only the legal department of the church could confirm receipt of such letters.

When asked about the Olalere family’s claim of ownership to the church land, he said: “I can assure you that we are not illegal occupants. We have been in possession of this land for 30 years and if the initial owners have problem among themselves, they should settle it amicably.”

http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2012/02/21/lagos-shuts-down-lords-chosen-6-other-churches/

Sound Proof Musical Equipments?
Re: Lagos Shuts Down Lord’s Chosen, 6 Other Churches by Nobody: 3:39pm On Feb 21, 2012
What about those noisy mosques, where they continually shout Allahu Akbar day and night and to the annoyance of most of us  

1 Like

Re: Lagos Shuts Down Lord’s Chosen, 6 Other Churches by Nobody: 3:40pm On Feb 21, 2012
This is great news oooh.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Shuts Down Lord’s Chosen, 6 Other Churches by kizito96(m): 3:41pm On Feb 21, 2012
Please can any  body compare the early morning noise of of our mosques to that of churches? what is fashola trying to do, he should not start what he cannot finish.
Re: Lagos Shuts Down Lord’s Chosen, 6 Other Churches by slimyem: 3:43pm On Feb 21, 2012
good for them.
They should follow suit with mosques too.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Shuts Down Lord’s Chosen, 6 Other Churches by Nobody: 3:43pm On Feb 21, 2012
frosbel:

What about those noisy mosques, where they continually shout Allahu Akbar day and night and to the annoyance of most of us  

I was just wondering what the damn government has done about that angry
Re: Lagos Shuts Down Lord’s Chosen, 6 Other Churches by Nobody: 3:46pm On Feb 21, 2012
About time! Mosques should be next please!

Golden gate church? Seek and save? Hian! na wa oo. May God help us!
Re: Lagos Shuts Down Lord’s Chosen, 6 Other Churches by UyiIredia(m): 3:49pm On Feb 21, 2012
God reamins i control. WHat God has establi$hed, no man can put down, After all, they took down my mum's shop. She comot leave them na !
Re: Lagos Shuts Down Lord’s Chosen, 6 Other Churches by jspac(m): 3:50pm On Feb 21, 2012
slimyem:

good for them.
They should follow suit with mosques too.

This is good
Godessa:

undecided Heavens gate?
Re: Lagos Shuts Down Lord’s Chosen, 6 Other Churches by Nobody: 3:51pm On Feb 21, 2012
They use the "touch not my anointed" dogma to  deafen neighborhood.  Same should be extended to mosques and traditionalist that use megaphones.
Re: Lagos Shuts Down Lord’s Chosen, 6 Other Churches by jspac(m): 3:53pm On Feb 21, 2012
Ranks007:

I was just wondering what the damn government has done about that angry
Fear of 'retaliation' by boko haram? undecided
Re: Lagos Shuts Down Lord’s Chosen, 6 Other Churches by moshoodn(m): 3:53pm On Feb 21, 2012
naijasexy:

About time! Mosques should be next please!

Golden gate church? Seek and save? Hian! na wa oo. May God help us!
you aint seen nothing.
Re: Lagos Shuts Down Lord’s Chosen, 6 Other Churches by Pethan: 3:53pm On Feb 21, 2012
Is it only churches that makes noise? what about the mosques that wakes people up very early in the morning angry angry
Re: Lagos Shuts Down Lord’s Chosen, 6 Other Churches by jspac(m): 3:54pm On Feb 21, 2012
angry Church don close,i no won hear anytin grin
Re: Lagos Shuts Down Lord’s Chosen, 6 Other Churches by kufreabasi(m): 3:55pm On Feb 21, 2012
To justify his word, let him also shut down mosques as well.
Re: Lagos Shuts Down Lord’s Chosen, 6 Other Churches by jspac(m): 3:57pm On Feb 21, 2012
blogger1.0:

This is great news oooh.
Indeed grin
Re: Lagos Shuts Down Lord’s Chosen, 6 Other Churches by Nobody: 3:58pm On Feb 21, 2012
js_pac:

Fear of 'retaliation' by boko haram? undecided

BH knows where they thread.

Their mess ups will only be on their native Hausa/moslem land.
Re: Lagos Shuts Down Lord’s Chosen, 6 Other Churches by tayoTFC(m): 3:59pm On Feb 21, 2012
sentiment apart , “The level of noise pollution allowed in the state is between 55 decibel during the day and 42 to 45 decibel at night,” he said.

imagine a small shop now turn to church with seek and save church or golden gate to even church, this church will worship 7am to 7pm every day with there loud speaker outside to actract there potential customer who have to to seek for prayer and other, their noise is too much to accomodate in a residential enviroment,
however, for muslim to be sincere there noise is btw 3 to 5 mins after which the iman and others will be praying in silent for another 20min, not like our christian brothers that have turn opining of church to business centre, May God help us

eko oni baje ooooo
Re: Lagos Shuts Down Lord’s Chosen, 6 Other Churches by Freiburger(m): 4:00pm On Feb 21, 2012
frosbel:

grin grin grin
Re: Lagos Shuts Down Lord’s Chosen, 6 Other Churches by lastpage: 4:06pm On Feb 21, 2012
I think its about time we all come together and support this kind of move.

Be it a Church or a Mosque, they all constitute a nuisance if they cannot "play their Music or their Preachings TO THEMSELVES, INSIDE THEIR CHURCH/MOSQUE!

Why must l listen to a Preacher-man's noise when l have decided that l have had enough dose of religious preachings, for myself?
Why must l be woken up by that rude cry of call to worship, every morning when l may just have arrived home from work (like people who work nights) and needed a sound sleep?

Dont Christians and Muslims know when to go to church/Mosque to pray (at least they can set their alarm clocks to remind them!)
You attend some churches and you come out with a pounding headache because the "Shout Halleluyah" noise level is crazy! I remember my baby used to shiver regularly in church (and at 5am when that silly Alfa starts blaring from his horn-speaker) when the Pastor starts shouting into the Microphone, just for "effects", abi we told him we were deaf?

BTW: I think we can all emulate the Jehovah's Witnesses. I have passed by their churches and have even visited friends whose house was located next to their place of worship and even though they use a Public address system, it is turned-up such that it covers only inside the church.
That is what l call "sensible worship" without becoming a nuisance to others.

Lastpage

Caveat: If it makes you happy, let me say that l am not a member of the Jehovah's Witness Sect but if we must be truthful, l am sure you'all will agree that they dont cause noise pollution like  our churches and Mosques!

1 Like

Re: Lagos Shuts Down Lord’s Chosen, 6 Other Churches by bulksms247(m): 4:10pm On Feb 21, 2012
Another war against christians with anoda style
Re: Lagos Shuts Down Lord’s Chosen, 6 Other Churches by GboyegaD(m): 4:10pm On Feb 21, 2012
I do not know the location of these churches except that of Lord's Chosen and I am forced to wonder if there is not more to it than meets the eyes because the church is in an industrial estate so I truly do not know if they are truly that lousy as claimed. However, if it is because of the population the church has that often times causes traffic after their services on sunday, they should let us know and not hide under the guise of noise. In all, this seems fishy for me.
Re: Lagos Shuts Down Lord’s Chosen, 6 Other Churches by icconium(m): 4:12pm On Feb 21, 2012
This is a wake up call to all xtians in every election the xtian who are in majority vote muslims to govern them. The xtian(Engr. Funsho Williams) that would have ruled was strangled to death by this power drunk people. Now they are in power the xtians that voted them into power are making. 4:00am everyday we are forced to wake up because they must pray, for years this disturbance as never been discussed nor attended to. What a misplaced action done by poor judgement from a myopic few. If churches are closed then likewise should be done to mosques because the later are culprits as well as the former. The is a wake up call for the xtian coummunity to arise and give us a candidate in 2015.
Re: Lagos Shuts Down Lord’s Chosen, 6 Other Churches by ojuejo(m): 4:14pm On Feb 21, 2012
Engr. Rasheed Shabi look at the name, it says it all
but all the same this churches self dey make noise atimes
Re: Lagos Shuts Down Lord’s Chosen, 6 Other Churches by Pethan: 4:16pm On Feb 21, 2012
This are signes of the end time
Re: Lagos Shuts Down Lord’s Chosen, 6 Other Churches by Koolking(m): 4:18pm On Feb 21, 2012
Good move. Some Mosques and some Churches cause depression to people at night and during the wee hours of morning, when you are expected to be nurtured by nature's 2nd calling which is sleep, after a day's hard toil in Lagos.

I wonder what they do every blessed day at night and morning. I wish this move could be massively sustained
Re: Lagos Shuts Down Lord’s Chosen, 6 Other Churches by Azeez532(m): 4:23pm On Feb 21, 2012
D noise level generated by some churches is alarming when compared to mosques because muslims make call 2 prayer for 10minutes after which prayer is offered silently,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Bishop Oyedepo Curses Jeremiah Omolara's Killers (Winners’ Chapel Pastor Kaduna) / OPM Recovers Weapons From Cultist, Armed Robber, Kidnapper (Photos) / Pastor Sunday Adelaja's Church In Adultery Scandal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.