Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,471 members, 7,808,696 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:34 PM

Should A Wife Join Cash And Effort To Build House/business With Her Husband. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should A Wife Join Cash And Effort To Build House/business With Her Husband. (7491 Views)

Uk-based Wife Disrupts Wedding Between Her Husband & New Wife - pics / My Father's Advice To Me When I Was Searching For A Wife... / Group Offers Cash And Scholarship To Abandoned Mother Of Triple Twins (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should A Wife Join Cash And Effort To Build House/business With Her Husband. by VirtuousWoman: 3:55pm On Feb 21, 2012
Good Nigerian people, your candid opinion is needed in this super-sensitive matter.

A young wife (married for the 5th year) gave birth to her third child and daughter.
Her mother-in-law came for omungo and told her that "in their village, any wife who gives birth to only girls is counted amongst the barren women, because female children do not inherit landed properties". That if the man dies, whatever landed property he had will be shared amongs his brothers and other male relatives.

Now the couple do not plan to have another child and they also plan to build.
The wife is skeptical about adding her cash to this project but her mother-in-laws words keep ringing in her ears. Meanwhile the husband is not aware that his mother has told his wife this "cultural practice"

What should she do.
Re: Should A Wife Join Cash And Effort To Build House/business With Her Husband. by Claus(m): 4:04pm On Feb 21, 2012
Issues like this in Nigeria can sometimes be tricky given the many holes in our justice system.

However, if the couple are able to have the title to the property in their joint names it may go a long way in securing her position should anything happen to her husband.
Re: Should A Wife Join Cash And Effort To Build House/business With Her Husband. by feminineA: 4:25pm On Feb 21, 2012
Why not?if she doesn't join cash with her husband then she has chosen the easy way out which is been a loser. She should sit and discuss with her husband,all properties and investment should be secretly between them and a lawyer and the clause of the property should be in the event of the death of any of the the other takes over the property.this vital document and others should be deposited in the bank to safeguard the childrens future. Also the man should be open to his wife on his current financial strength.openness, trust and communication will do the magic
Re: Should A Wife Join Cash And Effort To Build House/business With Her Husband. by Outstrip(f): 7:03pm On Feb 21, 2012
I will not advice any woman who is not in the know of 100% of all financial transactions and assets of her husband to do this. If that honesty is not there in the first place then why trust him with this one
Re: Should A Wife Join Cash And Effort To Build House/business With Her Husband. by Nobody: 7:21pm On Feb 21, 2012
Re: Should A Wife Join Cash And Effort To Build House/business With Her Husband. by ronkebp(f): 7:34pm On Feb 21, 2012
Hmmmm!!!! this is a serious matter, it is better the woman tells her hubby instanta, about what the mother has said, And she should have her own properties, who says a woman cannot own her own business and have properties all over the world in her name and her childrens' names.

1 Like

Re: Should A Wife Join Cash And Effort To Build House/business With Her Husband. by modavi: 7:51pm On Feb 21, 2012
undecided
Re: Should A Wife Join Cash And Effort To Build House/business With Her Husband. by loveheaven(f): 8:13pm On Feb 21, 2012
First and foremost the said lady's mother-in-law is wicked! And God has exposed her and her evil, plan. A selfish mother who wishes her son dead, because of properties? How is she sure the other brothers and relatives will outlive her son? What if the couples both live above hundred years of age? How can she say a thing like that to her daughter-in-law? To a woman who just had a baby? Be it boy or girl, for God's sake she carried the pregnancy for nine months and it would have been same with a male child. Does she think the daughter-in-law at a point did not prayed for a Son? Countless women all over the world are looking for a child to call their own. If the lady was her biological daughter married with girls would she approve of such? Rather than rejoice in sweetness of an additional member of the family she is threatening her daughter-in-law.

Well my advice is she should ensure whatever they have is in both their names and in full too. She should not let the thoughts dwell in her mind. Love her husband and ensures it is not borne out of any selfish reasons. Neither should she withhold her money from him. It is obvious he is learned and knows it is only a male that has both “Y” and “X” chromosomes. If not he may probably attempt to have a fourth child. And she should please keep this matter off her husband’s hearing. Or he may begin to act strange, and suspect her every move. It is possible he kept such information from her maybe out of love or no concern to such primitive tradition cultural practice.
Re: Should A Wife Join Cash And Effort To Build House/business With Her Husband. by ronkebp(f): 8:21pm On Feb 21, 2012
^^^^ My dear, i think she should tell her husband, that is a serious thing, she needs to open her mouth and tell her husband, infact she should bring the topic up infront of her mother-in-law.
Re: Should A Wife Join Cash And Effort To Build House/business With Her Husband. by mutter(f): 10:59am On Feb 22, 2012
shocked shocked shocked
This is a very kind MIL if you ask me.!!!!
To be forewarned is to be forearmed.
She has told the girl the truth and nothing but the truth. This is the reality of life and life can be cruel. When the marriage gets older the man will be on the look for a male child.
As far as I am concerned the wicked one here is the man. He wants the wife to invest with him and at the same time has ended his family planning
I smell a big RAT!!!
The woman should try having a male child or get herself some solid legal advice. She should also get property on her own. The reality with property in Nigeria is that the in laws can take possession of the property and you might find yourself donkey years in court. During this period the may have wasted your life and besides the property would not benefit the girls much. They might even not be in the position to fight for it.
Re: Should A Wife Join Cash And Effort To Build House/business With Her Husband. by Sholaf(f): 11:58am On Feb 22, 2012
ronkebp:

Hmmmm!!!! this is a serious matter, it is better the woman tells her hubby instanta, about what the mother has said, And she should have her own properties, who says a woman cannot own her own business and have properties all over the world in her name and her childrens' names.
[/quote

Seconded!
Re: Should A Wife Join Cash And Effort To Build House/business With Her Husband. by gempo(m): 11:59am On Feb 22, 2012
Unless they are planning to build it in the village, the relatives of the man don't have any business knowing they have such a property somewhere. If they man can go solo with the project without her putting her own funds, then it will be better. Whatever they plan to do, let them back it up with legal papers in their name. With that the relatives can't do shit. Because you have only girls doesn't stop you from owning a property again. Bunch of lazy relatives looking for whose property to inherit. Let them go and build theirs. It is just very annoying.
Re: Should A Wife Join Cash And Effort To Build House/business With Her Husband. by kunlekunle: 12:01pm On Feb 22, 2012
in the bible such lady's issue was resolved by moses, cos they refuse to accept the law
know your right
Re: Should A Wife Join Cash And Effort To Build House/business With Her Husband. by Nobody: 12:03pm On Feb 22, 2012
mutter:

shocked shocked shocked
She has told the girl the truth and nothing but the truth. This is the reality of life and life can be cruel. When the marriage gets older the man will be on the look for a male child.
As far as I am concerned the wicked one here is the man. He wants the wife to invest with him and at the same time has ended his family planning
I smell a big RAT!!!
The woman should try having a male child or get herself some solid legal advice. She should also get property on her own. The reality with property in Nigeria is that the in laws can take possession of the property and you might find yourself donkey years in court. During this period the may have wasted your life and besides the property would not benefit the girls much. They might even not be in the position to fight for it.

shocked  shocked   shocked  shocked

undecided  undecided  undecided
Re: Should A Wife Join Cash And Effort To Build House/business With Her Husband. by jamesflint77: 12:06pm On Feb 22, 2012
why not they are one nah shocked
Re: Should A Wife Join Cash And Effort To Build House/business With Her Husband. by ZIMDRILL(m): 12:13pm On Feb 22, 2012
Virtuous Woman:

Good Nigerian people, your candid opinion is needed in this super-sensitive matter.

A young wife (married for the 5th year) gave birth to her third child and daughter.
Her mother-in-law came for omungo and told her that "in their village, any wife who gives birth to only girls is counted amongst the barren women, because female children do not inherit landed properties". That if the man dies, whatever landed property he had will be shared amongs his brothers and other male relatives.

Now the couple do not plan to have another child and they also plan to build.
The wife is skeptical about adding her cash to this project but her mother-in-laws words keep ringing in her ears. Meanwhile the husband is not aware that his mother has told his wife this "cultural practice"

What should she do.

well am zimbabwean and i browse the family and culture section to learn things out nigerian culture, when the mother in law says her village does she refers her husbands or hers aka where she comes from ? if its her husband what gurrante does she have that she wont be fall into same situation besides that she has what she think is a guarante through her son the brother of husband can turn against her especially if there are greedy

in zim we used to have a problem like that but it had nothing to with gender of kids but greedyness of relatives, women used to encourage their daughter to do a civil  wedding that way she will be protected by law if the husband die before her and those who married traditonally it is the same though based on how young are the kids and how long you have been married, these was becoz of tradtional abuse that ruled on family after the husband relative would take everything saying he is my brother etc forgetting that he has a wife and kids left they need the money and property
Re: Should A Wife Join Cash And Effort To Build House/business With Her Husband. by hbabe(f): 12:14pm On Feb 22, 2012
I won't do it, except the house is in my name or in the name of the children.  The world is a very wicked place.
Even if you speak to the man and he says no problem, who knows how things will turn tomorrow?

In my part of the country, Delta women don't inherit properties from their fathers.
Re: Should A Wife Join Cash And Effort To Build House/business With Her Husband. by purefella(m): 12:25pm On Feb 22, 2012
It won't work!!! one will kill another .,Money is good at killing love!!!! , if you has a man combine your assets with your wife own and she noticed you are messing up with her , maybe going after another woman and she knows if you die she has the right to the entire properties , you are a dead meat and if it's the man that thinks his wife his disturbing him from flexing all around , he can do something silly
Money and Love are very good friends same time worst enemies
Re: Should A Wife Join Cash And Effort To Build House/business With Her Husband. by moremi2008(m): 12:26pm On Feb 22, 2012
mutter:

shocked shocked shocked
I smell a big RAT!!!

GBAM! The woman should be thanking her stars that she got some fair warning. Unfortunately, even a male child is not a guarantee that greedy relatives won't come knocking if the husband passes. The woman needs a good lawyer + everything Madam Chaircover has said. She should definitely make sure her husband is not building in the village with her money! That house is for his relatives oh for they shall surely seize it upon his death!
Re: Should A Wife Join Cash And Effort To Build House/business With Her Husband. by omo9ja1(m): 12:36pm On Feb 22, 2012
Do we still practice this kind in the 21st century?
Re: Should A Wife Join Cash And Effort To Build House/business With Her Husband. by Damysa(f): 12:45pm On Feb 22, 2012
see how money and material things are tearing love apart.
women should generally learn from this. For me, I will advice that even if the woman agrees to
join forces with husband, she should still have her own properties cos men are the most unpredictable being in the world. Having all the male children is this world is not a guarantee, it goes beyond that.

Woman open your eyes times have changed.
Re: Should A Wife Join Cash And Effort To Build House/business With Her Husband. by MissIfe(f): 12:48pm On Feb 22, 2012
I am of the belief that though husband and wife should join strength in running their home (both contribute to the financial upkeep) when it comes to properties it should be to each their own, at least in nigeria, things can be different in the western world where the legal background can help both husband and wife to protect their properties (from each other and from outsiders).
Re: Should A Wife Join Cash And Effort To Build House/business With Her Husband. by Emperoh(m): 1:04pm On Feb 22, 2012
Why not put the properties in the name of the children?
I guess that will solve some problem to some extent.

But an African man will need a male child at some point so i don't so much trust this man
if he is not already conferring with the wife on this.

For me, the names of those 3 girls should be on the documents
Re: Should A Wife Join Cash And Effort To Build House/business With Her Husband. by omar0001: 1:30pm On Feb 22, 2012
This country is wonderful. I believe the strength of the relationship between the couple should answer that question. There are usually 3 rites to a wedding. A court marriage, a traditional marriage and a white wedding. The court usually gives the woman the original marriage license to protect her with the law. Even without bringing a kobo, the wife is the one who makes the majority of the 'substantial contribution' to enable the husband the strength and will to complete the house. As for the issue of having all girls, women own property everywhere nowadays.
Re: Should A Wife Join Cash And Effort To Build House/business With Her Husband. by TokyoBulls(m): 1:32pm On Feb 22, 2012
My mind tells me the woman has a plan.  First, the lady needs to be open and brave, and raise the discussion when her mother-in-law and the husband are present.  She needs to watch how the husband react during the discussion.  The man too might have a plan.  If she discovers that the man does not have any evil plan, she can invest in the business/house, but the documents MUST carry their names; as joint owners and partners, and she must be sure that she's the man's next-of-kin. Some people are better 'helped' in their quest for death.  The mother-in-law has earned a place among those qualified to be poisoned.
Re: Should A Wife Join Cash And Effort To Build House/business With Her Husband. by nikkygal(f): 1:39pm On Feb 22, 2012
TokyoBulls:

My mind tells me the woman has a plan.  First, the lady needs to be open and brave, and raise the discussion when her mother-in-law and the husband are present.  She needs to watch how the husband react during the discussion.  The man too might have a plan.  If she discovers that the man does not have any evil plan, she can invest in the business/house, but the documents MUST carry their names; as joint owners and partners, and she must be sure that she's the man's next-of-kin. Some people are better 'helped' in their quest for death.  The mother-in-law has earned a place among those qualified to be poisoned.

shocked shocked lipsrsealed lipsrsealed undecided undecided
Re: Should A Wife Join Cash And Effort To Build House/business With Her Husband. by titsqueez(m): 1:51pm On Feb 22, 2012
the man probably has a baby boy from another woman unknown to the woman yet. Trust me all will be revealed at the appointed time. No man who hails from such a tradition that will not have a back up plan. The man has a boy somewhere else, hence his willingness to stop having any more kids with his wife.
Re: Should A Wife Join Cash And Effort To Build House/business With Her Husband. by blacklion(m): 1:53pm On Feb 22, 2012
The MIL's story is pure BS meant to intimidate the wife and possibly drive her out of the son's house.

Yes, family land in the village in Igboland which was passed on from the ancestors can be inherited only by males but Igbo girls/women do inherit landed properties from their late fathers in urban areas from Enugu to Owerri to PH to Lagos. Igbo customary law does not automatically apply to landed properties outside of Igboland.

I have not seen in the last two generations where a dead man's family came to Lagos or Kano to drag with his widow or daughters over land that the man bought on his own and developed. Possibly, one may encounter this sort of BS only among semi-literate or unexposed families especially where the widow is timid and allows herself to be bullied but I have not witnessed this scenario in recent times.
Re: Should A Wife Join Cash And Effort To Build House/business With Her Husband. by Sholaf(f): 2:00pm On Feb 22, 2012
purefella:

It won't work!!! one will kill another .,Money is good at killing love!!!! , if you has a man combine your assets with your wife own and she noticed you are messing up with her , maybe going after another woman and she knows if you die she has the right to the entire properties , you are a dead meat and if it's the man that thinks his wife his disturbing him from flexing all around , he can do something silly
Money and Love are very good friends same time worst enemies
hbabe:

I won't do it, except the house is in my name or in the name of the children.  The world is a very wicked place.
Even if you speak to the man and he says no problem, who knows how things will turn tomorrow?

My sister's friend assisted  " financially " to complete her husbands house in Ajah Lagos. At any arguement, he says to his wife "This is my house"
She is now building a house for herself and children.
Re: Should A Wife Join Cash And Effort To Build House/business With Her Husband. by modele2: 2:04pm On Feb 22, 2012
if the house is on village land the contribution should be to the bearest minimum, becos she or her children cannot lay any claims , her support should be more of moral encouragement. Village land has no proper documentation and the sharing is bound by laws of the village. Most igbo lands for instance

If however the house is in town a met city, then she should ensure that all documents bear her name fully. not Mr and Mrs XYZ but Mr ABC and Mrs DEF XYZ. Her full name should be there. Here she can contribute and the girls can inherit. based on civil law and a will. If the Mrs is generic believe me, there can be another Mrs XYZ.
Re: Should A Wife Join Cash And Effort To Build House/business With Her Husband. by Businesstools(m): 2:11pm On Feb 22, 2012
Besides the lady's case,it is not wise to jointly own assets or investments with one's spouse or any other party without proper legal documentation.
Re: Should A Wife Join Cash And Effort To Build House/business With Her Husband. by moremi2008(m): 2:13pm On Feb 22, 2012
blacklion:

The MIL's story is pure BS meant to intimidate the wife and possibly drive her out of the son's house.

Yes, family land in the village in Igboland which was passed on from the ancestors can be inherited only by males but Igbo girls/women do inherit landed properties from their late fathers in urban areas from Enugu to Owerri to PH to Lagos. Igbo customary law does not automatically apply to landed properties outside of Igboland.

I have not seen in the last two generations where a dead man's family came to Lagos or Kano to drag with his widow or daughters over land that the man bought on his own and developed. Possibly, one may encounter this sort of BS only among semi-literate or unexposed families especially where the widow is timid and allows herself to be bullied but I have not witnessed this scenario in recent times.

Not true! The widow of one rich Igbo trader in my childhood neighborhood got the shock of her life when her late husband's brothers showed up in Lagos to throw her and her kids (including a boy) out of the house. She went from house to house in the neighborhood, weeping profusely and begging for help and couldn't get back into the house for a whole month and only after intense intervention by the chairman of the neighborhood association and police! True talk!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Stewardship Of Money In Marriage: Sure Home Marriage Seminar / Rich Marrying Rich, Poor Marrying Poor: Way Forward? / Beautiful Bouncy/ Bouncing Castle For Sale in Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.