Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,310 members, 7,808,045 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:39 AM

Going For Nysc? Read Here: Survival Guide/tips For Prospective Nysc Corp Members - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Going For Nysc? Read Here: Survival Guide/tips For Prospective Nysc Corp Members (59444 Views)

NYSC Batch A 2016 Stream 2 Corp Members / NYSC 2016 Batch B Corps Members House / NYSC Introduces Self-deployment For Prospective Corps Members (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Going For Nysc? Read Here: Survival Guide/tips For Prospective Nysc Corp Members by RiffRaff: 7:08pm On Feb 21, 2012
It’s about that time when u go and serve your country, hopefully In a week or 2 u will know which of the state u are going for your NYSC orientation. I have taken the liberty to interview some of my friends to learn their camping experience; I have also scouted blogs, dairies, journals and other archives in,  a bid to get as much info as possible about the three weeks of camp.
For those of you that are scared cuz it’s the first time you are leaving your family for such a long time, don’t worry you are not alone. It is that anxiety that lead me to this research; hearing people recount their camping experience has put me a little bit at ease. According to most people it is the best 3 weeks of their lives. “u wouldn’t want to leave”. Well, i will be the judge of that after my own experience. I decided to get a comprehensive list of the things we might need to make life at the camp a more palatable experience. Below is the list of things you will likely need:

Condom and Birth Control/After-Morning Pills

16 Photocopies of Statement of Result (Original and Photocopies)
16 Photocopies of School ID Card (Original and Photocopies)
16-24 copies of passport photo (take as many as possible)
Original & 16 Photocopies of Call-up Letter (This will be taken and not returned to you)
10 plain sheets of paper
A Pen
Stapler with your own pins (will save you a lot of begging)
Glue and Tipex (they say everything @ d camp is 4 sale, u want to save as much as possible)

NOTE: Make a lot of Photocopies before going to Camp. A copy can be as much as N20 at the Orientation Camp.
Please remember to also take the original documents, some camps will send you home if u don't have originals.

+
A Cardigan

4 Round-necked white T-Shirts  Throughout your stay at the orientation camp, you will only be allowed to wear your white top and shorts; you might not like the ones that will be handed to you at camp so you can get those fitted brands as long as they are white, With these duly pointed out, no need to pack a lot of clothes to the Camp. You should only take a few in case you need to go to Mosque on a Friday or Church on a Sunday.

2-3 extra pairs of white Shorts (All white)

A Pair Of Plain White Sneakers (NYSC will give u 1 but you'd be lucky if they fit plus it spoils quickly know Naija & low quality things)

2 pairs of white socks

A pair of slippers (These camps are very dirty according to my source, The bathrooms are filthy! The bedrooms are dirty! The corridors are icky! Just have something on your feet at all times)

DETTOL (very essential, BRING or BUY. It's just to disinfect your bath water)

Towel (BRING from home. At least you know it's clean. Anything you buy from Mami Market may or may not be secondhand.)

Bed-Sheets, Pillow Cases, and A Pillow. (BRING from home. Again, the peace of knowing what you're sleeping on is clean. Mattresses will be provided by NYSC. It is best to "double up" with the mattresses, as they are about 1 to 2 inches thick

Handkerchief (BRING from home. There will be BUCKETS of sweating. Do yourself a favor)

Sleep clothes (BRING from home. *note that it is ridiculously hot at night, so a large t-shirt or long tank top and little shorts will suffice)

Underwear (Guard it jealously, I was told people steal panties SMH)

Detergent (BUY from market. Again, this reduces the amount of load you're bringing into camp. Remember how I said camp offers no frills? You have to wash your clothes, underwear, and bed things. However, if you're lucky the mami market will have vendors offering laundry services! The only caveats are: you run the risk of your stuff getting lost)

A Novel (very essential esp. if u read a lot, or if u get bored easily like me) u can also bring board/Electronic games if u like (Chess/Scrabble/PsP/Gameboy)

Money  (About 10 to 15,000 Naira should see you through the camp period modestly. but if you have to drink and hang out at The Mammy market a lot, then you can take more money depending on how much you can finish, be wise though! Sha budget N1000 per day)

Toiletries/Sanitary Pad (If you are posted to the Up-North like Yobe and Maidugiri, pls do not spray perfumes/anything scented, or the flies won't stop hugging you. For the ladies, u will be wearing white all through when it’s time for your menstruation, beware of stains. )
Bucket, soap dish (buy at the camp site, don't stress yourself taking one to the place, they always sell in the camp)

Waist bag (Try to buy this before you get to the camp, very very essential, U've got to put all ur money in it and tie it round ur waist, cos some people won’t come to camp with money and will steal)

Torchlight and Batteries (BRING or BUY. Seeing as there's hardly ever any electricity, and you might want to read at night, having the flashlight helps.

Music (Ipod, MP3, Phone, , just take your music, )

ATM card (u may need 2 run out and get dough)

Painkillers, Malaria Medicine, Allergy Medicine, etc. (BRING from home. You do not want to make the mistake of getting ill in camp. The camp clinic is a BIG JOKE!)

Padlock (BRING or BUY. Well, you might not need it if u have a hard suitcase - no padlocks required. And anyways, thieves apparently can tear people's bags with scissors or knives to get to their things)

Sun Glasses/Face Cap: (It can get really sunny, especially in the north, but I'll advice all to take sun glasses since you'll be standing on the parade ground for long hours. unless it's rainy season)

MOSQUITO NET (My friend said the camp is Mosquito's headquarters)

If you have a camera you can take it along because you will want to snap a lot of scenes. If you have a Blackberry phone, that’s good for you because you can easily and share on social networks. If you don’t have any of those, you will have to pay some guys on camp who do that as business to follow you around and snap you wherever you go. They might charge up to N2000 for the duration of the camping. They should give you all your photos and videos in CDs at the end of Camping.

You will be fed three times a day in camp but I must not lie to you, the food there is nothing to write home about. If you are someone like me who loves to eat good food, make provisions for your own food. You should get some fast foods along, some breakfast cereals and beverages. You should also hold extra cash to eat at the Mami market. You will get good foods there

THINGS U DON’T NEED
Don’t take materials like pressing iron, knife, fork, tin cutter to the camp. They will be seized and returned to you only on the last day of camping. I was told this is a security measure.

Food Flask (if you'll eat camp food, I only stood in line for camp food once, and almost got a slap from d lady serving cos I didn't understand the food, so Mammy Market was my savior, and might be yours too, in the end my food flask was gathering dust under my bed)

Don't pack loads of unnecessary stuff. As for day clothes (mufti) pack one or two cos you'll only be allowed to go on mufti on Sundays and you have 3 Sundays, so why pack all your clothes? On the 1st day of registration, try to see that after you do your registration where u declare your call-up letter, you endeavor to register for accommodation as early as possible, if not you'll not have a place to sleep on ur 1st night in camp, and that's not funny.

The forms that will be handed to you and attach your passport are very easy to fill. Fill them correctly. After your registration, you will be issued with your State Code Number. This will be like your PIN throughout your Service Year.

After you have been given your State Code, you should proceed straight to collect your mattress and your NYSC Kit. During my own time, I went straight to my hostel (you will be directed), put my mattress in place before going for my kit. Go for your kit on time so that you can get your size.

The Camp Commandant (the soldier in charge) and the other soldiers may tell you that if you participate in parade, play volleyball, and do all they want you to do, you will end up being posted to a favorable place for you Primary Assignment - LIES! Soldiers ain't got that power at all, maybe the Camp director and some NYSC officials can help, but not all of them have the powers they claim.

Have fun but never agree to be manipulated or coerced into anything by anyone. I wish everybody good luck and I hope to see you in my camp.

For more information u can send me a mail or check online @ Nysc website www.nysc.gov.ng.

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Going For Nysc? Read Here: Survival Guide/tips For Prospective Nysc Corp Members by stepo707: 11:16am On Feb 23, 2012
@op Nice one.I didn't know most of this before i did mine and i ended up suffering especially those crazy mosquitoes.Also the food,mammy market is going to be your saviour.The Commandant has the power to influence posting in PPA but the sure guys are the camp director and Zonal Inspectors.
Stay out of trouble and make many friends especially female,you are going to need them in times of ,
Goodluck Batch A 2012

3 Likes

Re: Going For Nysc? Read Here: Survival Guide/tips For Prospective Nysc Corp Members by dare2think: 11:21am On Feb 23, 2012
What about survival tips for those sent to boko haram areas!!!!
Re: Going For Nysc? Read Here: Survival Guide/tips For Prospective Nysc Corp Members by flameforx(m): 11:22am On Feb 23, 2012
if you find yourself in Rivers state,buy 2 life jacket
Re: Going For Nysc? Read Here: Survival Guide/tips For Prospective Nysc Corp Members by Nobody: 11:33am On Feb 23, 2012
Riff-Raff:

It’s about that time when u go and serve your country, hopefully In a week or 2 u will know which of the state u are going for your NYSC orientation. I have taken the liberty to interview some of my friends to learn their camping experience; I have also scouted blogs, dairies, journals and other archives in,  a bid to get as much info as possible about the three weeks of camp.
For those of you that are scared cuz it’s the first time you are leaving your family for such a long time, don’t worry you are not alone. It is that anxiety that lead me to this research; hearing people recount their camping experience has put me a little bit at ease. According to most people it is the best 3 weeks of their lives. “u wouldn’t want to leave”. Well, i will be the judge of that after my own experience. I decided to get a comprehensive list of the things we might need to make life at the camp a more palatable experience. Below is the list of things you will likely need:

Condom and Birth Control/After-Morning Pills

Original & 16 Photocopies of Call-up Letter (This will be taken and not returned to you)
10 plain sheets of paper

A Pen
Glue and Tipex (they say everything @ d camp is 4 sale, u want to save as much as possible)

NOTE: Make a lot of Photocopies before going to Camp. A copy can be as much as N20 at the Orientation Camp.
Please remember to also take the original documents, some camps will send you home if u don't have originals.

+
A Cardigan

4 Round-necked white T-Shirts  Throughout your stay at the orientation camp, you will only be allowed to wear your white top and shorts; you might not like the ones that will be handed to you at camp so you can get those fitted brands as long as they are white, With these duly pointed out, no need to pack a lot of clothes to the Camp. You should only take a few in case you need to go to Mosque on a Friday or Church on a Sunday.

A Pair Of Plain White Sneakers (NYSC will give u 1 but you'd be lucky if they fit plus it spoils quickly know Naija & low quality things)

2 pairs of white socks

A pair of slippers (These camps are very dirty according to my source, The bathrooms are filthy! The bedrooms are dirty! The corridors are icky! Just have something on your feet at all times)

Towel (BRING from home. At least you know it's clean. Anything you buy from Mami Market may or may not be secondhand.)

Bed-Sheets, Pillow Cases, and A Pillow. (BRING from home. Again, the peace of knowing what you're sleeping on is clean. Mattresses will be provided by NYSC. It is best to "double up" with the mattresses, as they are about 1 to 2 inches thick

Handkerchief (BRING from home. There will be BUCKETS of sweating. Do yourself a favor)

Sleep clothes (BRING from home. *note that it is ridiculously hot at night, so a large t-shirt or long tank top and little shorts will suffice)

Detergent (BUY from market. Again, this reduces the amount of load you're bringing into camp. Remember how I said camp offers no frills? You have to wash your clothes, underwear, and bed things. However, if you're lucky the mami market will have vendors offering laundry services! The only caveats are: you run the risk of your stuff getting lost)

A Novel (very essential esp. if u read a lot, or if u get bored easily like me) u can also bring board/Electronic games if u like (Chess/Scrabble/PsP/Gameboy)

Money  (About 10 to 15,000 Naira should see you through the camp period modestly. but if you have to drink and hang out at The Mammy market a lot, then you can take more money depending on how much you can finish, be wise though! Sha budget N1000 per day)

Toiletries/Sanitary Pad (If you are posted to the Up-North like Yobe and Maidugiri, pls do not spray perfumes/anything scented, or the flies won't stop hugging you. For the ladies, u will be wearing white all through when it’s time for your menstruation, beware of stains. )
Bucket, soap dish (buy at the camp site, don't stress yourself taking one to the place, they always sell in the camp)

Waist bag (Try to buy this before you get to the camp, very very essential, U've got to put all ur money in it and tie it round ur waist, cos some people won’t come to camp with money and will steal)

Torchlight and Batteries (BRING or BUY. Seeing as there's hardly ever any electricity, and you might want to read at night, having the flashlight helps.

Painkillers, Malaria Medicine, Allergy Medicine, etc. (BRING from home. You do not want to make the mistake of getting ill in camp. The camp clinic is a BIG JOKE!)

Padlock (BRING or BUY. Well, you might not need it if u have a hard suitcase - no padlocks required. And anyways, thieves apparently can tear people's bags with scissors or knives to get to their things)

Sun Glasses/Face Cap: (It can get really sunny, especially in the north, but I'll advice all to take sun glasses since you'll be standing on the parade ground for long hours. unless it's rainy season)

If you have a camera you can take it along because you will want to snap a lot of scenes. If you have a Blackberry phone, that’s good for you because you can easily and share on social networks. If you don’t have any of those, you will have to pay some guys on camp who do that as business to follow you around and snap you wherever you go. They might charge up to N2000 for the duration of the camping. They should give you all your photos and videos in CDs at the end of Camping.

You will be fed three times a day in camp but I must not lie to you, the food there is nothing to write home about. If you are someone like me who loves to eat good food, make provisions for your own food. You should get some fast foods along, some breakfast cereals and beverages. You should also hold extra cash to eat at the Mami market. You will get good foods there

THINGS U DON’T NEED
Don’t take materials like pressing iron, knife, fork, tin cutter to the camp. They will be seized and returned to you only on the last day of camping. I was told this is a security measure.

Food Flask (if you'll eat camp food, I only stood in line for camp food once, and almost got a slap from d lady serving cos I didn't understand the food, so Mammy Market was my savior, and might be yours too, in the end my food flask was gathering dust under my bed)

Don't pack loads of unnecessary stuff. As for day clothes (mufti) pack one or two cos you'll only be allowed to go on mufti on Sundays and you have 3 Sundays, so why pack all your clothes? On the 1st day of registration, try to see that after you do your registration where u declare your call-up letter, you endeavor to register for accommodation as early as possible, if not you'll not have a place to sleep on ur 1st night in camp, and that's not funny.

The forms that will be handed to you and attach your passport are very easy to fill. Fill them correctly. After your registration, you will be issued with your State Code Number. This will be like your PIN throughout your Service Year.

After you have been given your State Code, you should proceed straight to collect your mattress and your NYSC Kit. During my own time, I went straight to my hostel (you will be directed), put my mattress in place before going for my kit. Go for your kit on time so that you can get your size.

The Camp Commandant (the soldier in charge) and the other soldiers may tell you that if you participate in parade, play volleyball, and do all they want you to do, you will end up being posted to a favorable place for you Primary Assignment - LIES! Soldiers ain't got that power at all, maybe the Camp director and some NYSC officials can help, but not all of them have the powers they claim.

Have fun but never agree to be manipulated or coerced into anything by anyone. I wish everybody good luck and I hope to see you in my camp.

For more information u can send me a mail or check online @ Nysc website www.nysc.gov.ng.
5 Photocopies of Statement of Result(take along with you your original)
5 Photocopies of School ID Card(take along with you your original)
16 copies of passport photo (these will be more than enough)
5 Photocopies of Call-up Letter (take along with you your original)
Re: Going For Nysc? Read Here: Survival Guide/tips For Prospective Nysc Corp Members by GWslim(f): 11:49am On Feb 23, 2012
Prepare your mind for new friendship and relationship.
Re: Going For Nysc? Read Here: Survival Guide/tips For Prospective Nysc Corp Members by Mavor: 11:59am On Feb 23, 2012
this is good stuff. wish I had this Info during my own time in the past. anybody who gets posted to conflict areas in the north, tear your Calliope letter into 2. nothing is worth your life.
Re: Going For Nysc? Read Here: Survival Guide/tips For Prospective Nysc Corp Members by maxxy: 12:03pm On Feb 23, 2012
My wife will be serving in this next Batch A. At what point does she need to present her marriage certificate so that she can be posted to where I am (Lagos) and what other documents may be required?
Re: Going For Nysc? Read Here: Survival Guide/tips For Prospective Nysc Corp Members by Nobody: 12:45pm On Feb 23, 2012
Just take photocopies and basic things you'd need - blanket, soap, brush, sponge. As a guy you wouldn't feel comfortable cameling a massive baggage - just hold nothing less than 50k of course this should finish up the first 3-5 days from flexing and make sure your atm iz heavy. Females do not need much - also remember your menstral period so you don't Bleep yourself up @ the camp and more than enough undies for borrowers (those who steal) - have fun!

2 Likes

Re: Going For Nysc? Read Here: Survival Guide/tips For Prospective Nysc Corp Members by Nobody: 12:48pm On Feb 23, 2012
Riff-Raff:

[size=56pt]Condom and Birth Control/After-Morning Pills [/size]

10 plain sheets of paper
A Pen

+
A Cardigan

2 pairs of white socks

THINGS U DON’T NEED

Re: Going For Nysc? Read Here: Survival Guide/tips For Prospective Nysc Corp Members by Nobody: 2:53pm On Feb 23, 2012
Thanks a lot for posting this. Am also leaving with batch A. I cant wait to go.
Re: Going For Nysc? Read Here: Survival Guide/tips For Prospective Nysc Corp Members by ataime(f): 3:46pm On Feb 23, 2012
ADVICE BOYS PLS DNT ALLOW UR GF SERVE IN A DIFF STATE FRM U, COS I MA BF DID SAME BT FOR GODS GRACE N LOVE ILD HVE LEFT HIM FOR SOMEONE ELSE, DNT BE A SCAPEGOATA WORD IS ENOF FOR D WISE
wink

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Going For Nysc? Read Here: Survival Guide/tips For Prospective Nysc Corp Members by CELL2ME2: 3:58pm On Feb 23, 2012
plssssssss in you are posted to either river state or akwa ibom pls don`t forget to carry rain jacket and don`t even boader to carry more cloths cos even if u wash them there ll be no sun to dry them. i may rain 2ru out ur camp stay. and don`t make the mistake of not identifying with ur religious sect like ncca, nfcc etc cos this ppl ll be ur god on d day of pass out i ve been der and i dont want u to make dat mistake
Re: Going For Nysc? Read Here: Survival Guide/tips For Prospective Nysc Corp Members by PHIPEX(m): 4:24pm On Feb 23, 2012
Right information is power in deed, 9c post.
Re: Going For Nysc? Read Here: Survival Guide/tips For Prospective Nysc Corp Members by maxxy: 4:29pm On Feb 23, 2012
maxxy:

My wife will be serving in this next Batch A. At what point does she need to present her marriage certificate so that she can be posted to where I am (Lagos) and what other documents may be required?

Any ideas anyone?
Re: Going For Nysc? Read Here: Survival Guide/tips For Prospective Nysc Corp Members by ibconfig: 5:00pm On Feb 23, 2012
Maxxy, she can take it along and keep it safe. The announcement will be made before the end of the orientation for who wants to serve in Lagos most especially those that their spouse resides in Lagos. They will call for authentication e.g the Marriage certificate. It is at this point she can tender it. But she has to make sure its returned, or they may asked her to make photocopies as required. I'm presently serving and its interesting, but it took me unaware as I did not really enjoy my orientation. I wish her all the best 3 weeks.

1 Like

Re: Going For Nysc? Read Here: Survival Guide/tips For Prospective Nysc Corp Members by Nobody: 5:32pm On Feb 23, 2012
u'll also need a medical report stating that u are totally unfit for any streneous exercise. Dt will keep u away frm all those otondo jogging ang morning wahala,
Re: Going For Nysc? Read Here: Survival Guide/tips For Prospective Nysc Corp Members by fleps(m): 5:49pm On Feb 23, 2012
Good Post! Am also joining da Batch A dis year n ma cal up leta is nex wik. Now for my question! Plz lets just b realistic here. . . How much is actually a realistic amount to take to camp? Lets get d stats: I will nt spend much time in Maimi or watever its cald. . . I wil enjoy maself there wit d cool air, music etc or at list a bottle of malt once in two days (as EXAMPLE O O!). Bt lavishing cash there? No go area 4 me! Most of ma time wil be with d felowship i will join and am sure l'l be posted to where i'l be at home wit da camp food cuz GOD worked my posting/service for me so i have faith in him!
So how much wil b realistic cuz nt all have much to spend. Som of us r fresh August/December graduates n even January, strike for almost half d month didnt alow us get temporary jobs to fiddle wit (ma case sha) n at d same time hopes to suport family wit d Alawee (so i heard its cald). Dats y GOD worked my service anyway.
Finally, biko, joor, how much is realistic n won't make u steal (nt an option 4 me though) for those who dint take up to 10k to camp. I also hope to build a friendly, moral, godly relationship wit ladies too as it wud help me improve confidence, self esteem n control of my emotions! Thanks! Timely thread indeed!

2 Likes

Re: Going For Nysc? Read Here: Survival Guide/tips For Prospective Nysc Corp Members by Nobody: 6:19pm On Feb 23, 2012
very educative.
notification of result and certificate, do both serve d same purpose @ d orientation camp? Coz i have my cert. already
Re: Going For Nysc? Read Here: Survival Guide/tips For Prospective Nysc Corp Members by dokkyelele(f): 6:41pm On Feb 23, 2012
maxxy:

Any ideas anyone?

Thats not a problem if u have the ORIJINAL and PHOTOCOPIES of these:
MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE
CHANGE OF NAME FROM NIGERIAN DALLIES
LETTER REQUESTIN FOR HER TO COME TO U
HER WEDDING RING(COS WE CHECK ALL THIS BUT SHE CAN ONLY COME BACK AFTER THREE WEEKS TO SEARVE ANYWHERE SHE WANTS)
DAT WIL DO.
Re: Going For Nysc? Read Here: Survival Guide/tips For Prospective Nysc Corp Members by Zi: 6:47pm On Feb 23, 2012
I say Godbless OP, u did d research 4 me & at d right time! I couldn't hv askd 4 beta.
Re: Going For Nysc? Read Here: Survival Guide/tips For Prospective Nysc Corp Members by Nobody: 6:49pm On Feb 23, 2012
During my time I was posted to FCT but had to do my 3 weeks orientation in Kano state due to FCT congestion. These tips from me are invaluable. The OP didn't cover these ones
1. As soon as some pple get their call-up letters issued, they quickly run to d nearest biz centre to laminate it. Costly mistake. Don't ever do that, there's a part during d registration when ur call-up letter will have to be stamped. During my time, u needed to see pple trying to remove d lamination and some tore their letters in the process. Do not laminate, d call-up will still be returned to them on camp.
2. Most pple forget dt camp registration is 3 days. Everybody rushes to camp on d first day and tries to register. When I was travelling to kano camp, I passed by kaduna camp, the queue I saw outside d camp almost made me turn back. Remember on d day camp opens, b4 u're allowed inside, everyone is searched. Imagine how long that takes! So my point is no need to hurry, if I knew I'd hv gone to camp on d second or third day. By that time, no push push, shoving, insults and general rudeness frm those silly nysc officials. My friend resumed camp the 2nd day and wen I escorted her to register, the nysc guys were sleeping. I wanted to cry wen I remembered what I went thru d previous night.
In less than 10 mins she was out of there. The downside is that u may not get a choice space 4 accomodation and if u're a guy wit large feet, all d size 43-45 will be taken already.
My friend got lucky wit accomodation cos a married woman wit a baby secured a space N had to leave camp after reg. So she quickly snagged that.
3. Every camp has OBS (orientation broadcasting service). Their speakers are all over camp, and they blast music all day, cast news and announce missing items. Now, members of OBS dnt go for parade. On d first day of camp, after ur registration, if u hv time or as soon as possible, run and register for obs. Once those soldiers enter d hostels to chase for parade and u show ur obs tag they leave u alone. In my camp then, OBS did like an audition *rolls eyes. Cos they knw everyone wants to join to avoid parade.
4. If u do resume on the first day and u get issued ur kit, let ur body not shack you and you run to quickly change into it. You'd be shocked that the soldiers will blow bugle on the first day for parade. And anyone seen kitted, is chased to parade. As soon as I was issued my kit, I went and hid it under under my box. You can then successfully wear mufti for d 3 days duration of d registration. If the soldiers ask why you aren't kitted, tell them you've not been issued. Shikena, and they'll leave you alone. If you like, quickly change and run to parade ground dt day, d soldiers will mark ur face, and if you're a guy they'll make u platoon leader. From there sorry for you. Hot sun will finish you and u can't skip any day of parade.
5. For the ladies, if you're posted to the North, the sun there is hotter than other parts of the country 10x. Please and please always wear ur face cap. Most chics on camp wanted to display their hair and they'd remove the caps and hang on their waist. Mistake. By the time the sun finishes wit ur face, and if u're fair like me, hmmm, suffice to say, u won't recognise ur complexion. Cover ur arms too if possible, it took me months to regain my complexion. I cringe whenever I look at those camp pictures.
6. Ladies if possible go to camp with panty hose or black leggings. For our well endowed sisters, the standard issue white shorts are usually too short. So wearing leggings or panty hose will make u decent. Kano camp allowed it, don't know about other states. They even allowed three-quarter shorts, and long white trousers and hijab cos of the muslims. So if u're posted to kano u're in luck.
7. Ladies make a hairstyle that'll last for 3weeks. I did tiny braids. If you decide to fix weavon to camp you may be forced to do another hair in camp because d sun in d far north will turn ur weavon to iron sponge. So, no need.
8. Kano is adjudged d best nysc secretariat in Nig by d headquarters. I enjoyed the 3 weeks there. Soldiers are friendly, the baa-shiga sharia laws don't allow d male soldiers into girls hostel so they stand by d gate and yell. I went for parade d first 2 days and didn't go again till I left camp. Just 2 female soldiers on camp and they can't be bothered, so you hv ur freedom. I actually gained weight on camp surprisingly. And the camp director organised buses to convey we fct corpers back to abuja after we paid 1200 naira. That was a huge load of our chest because d last day of camp can be chaotic, everyone is rushing to be first to submit posting letter and get accepted. So her assistance was God-sent.
BTW, all these happened b4 the blast. I don't knw how the state is now.
9. Finally, from ur 2nd week in camp, start putting ur ears to the ground as regards posting. That's hw to knw which nysc official can runs it for U. Some camps, u pay like between 5-7k for posting. Mine was done for me From outside and was worse cos it was being done in Abj and not there on camp. But thank God it clicked. Make friends wit pple o, someone there may knw Goodluck, or one big shot that can influence. Even if u don't get posted to a good organisation, try and be posted to the capital and not some villages where camels are the only means of transportation.

All the best, take photographs and make urself happy. 3 weeks is a long time.

27 Likes

Re: Going For Nysc? Read Here: Survival Guide/tips For Prospective Nysc Corp Members by moshoodn(m): 9:38pm On Feb 23, 2012
Cherechy:

During my time I was posted to FCT but had to do my 3 weeks orientation in Kano state due to FCT congestion. These tips from me are invaluable. The OP didn't cover these ones
1. As soon as some pple get their call-up letters issued, they quickly run to d nearest biz centre to laminate it. Costly mistake. Don't ever do that, there's a part during d registration when ur call-up letter will have to be stamped. During my time, u needed to see pple trying to remove d lamination and some tore their letters in the process. Do not laminate, d call-up will still be returned to them on camp.
2. Most pple forget dt camp registration is 3 days. Everybody rushes to camp on d first day and tries to register. When I was travelling to kano camp, I passed by kaduna camp, the queue I saw outside d camp almost made me turn back. Remember on d day camp opens, b4 u're allowed inside, everyone is searched. Imagine how long that takes! So my point is no need to hurry, if I knew I'd hv gone to camp on d second or third day. By that time, no push push, shoving, insults and general rudeness frm those silly nysc officials. My friend resumed camp the 2nd day and wen I escorted her to register, the nysc guys were sleeping. I wanted to cry wen I remembered what I went thru d previous night.
In less than 10 mins she was out of there. The downside is that u may not get a choice space 4 accomodation and if u're a guy wit large feet, all d size 43-45 will be taken already.
My friend got lucky wit accomodation cos a married woman wit a baby secured a space N had to leave camp after reg. So she quickly snagged that.
3. Every camp has OBS (orientation broadcasting service). Their speakers are all over camp, and they blast music all day, cast news and announce missing items. Now, members of OBS dnt go for parade. On d first day of camp, after ur registration, if u hv time or as soon as possible, run and register for obs. Once those soldiers enter d hostels to chase for parade and u show ur obs tag they leave u alone. In my camp then, OBS did like an audition *rolls eyes. Cos they knw everyone wants to join to avoid parade.
4. If u do resume on the first day and u get issued ur kit, let ur body not shack you and you run to quickly change into it. You'd be shocked that the soldiers will blow bugle on the first day for parade. And anyone seen kitted, is chased to parade. As soon as I was issued my kit, I went and hid it under under my box. You can then successfully wear mufti for d 3 days duration of d registration. If the soldiers ask why you aren't kitted, tell them you've not been issued. Shikena, and they'll leave you alone. If you like, quickly change and run to parade ground dt day, d soldiers will mark ur face, and if you're a guy they'll make u platoon leader. From there sorry for you. Hot sun will finish you and u can't skip any day of parade.
5. For the ladies, if you're posted to the North, the sun there is hotter than other parts of the country 10x. Please and please always wear ur face cap. Most chics on camp wanted to display their hair and they'd remove the caps and hang on their waist. Mistake. By the time the sun finishes wit ur face, and if u're fair like me, hmmm, suffice to say, u won't recognise ur complexion. Cover ur arms too if possible, it took me months to regain my complexion. I cringe whenever I look at those camp pictures.
6. Ladies if possible go to camp with panty hose or black leggings. For our well endowed sisters, the standard issue white shorts are usually too short. So wearing leggings or panty hose will make u decent. Kano camp allowed it, don't know about other states. They even allowed three-quarter shorts, and long white trousers and hijab cos of the muslims. So if u're posted to kano u're in luck.
7. Ladies make a hairstyle that'll last for 3weeks. I did tiny braids. If you decide to fix weavon to camp you may be forced to do another hair in camp because d sun in d far north will turn ur weavon to iron sponge. So, no need.
8. Kano is adjudged d best nysc secretariat in Nig by d headquarters. I enjoyed the 3 weeks there. Soldiers are friendly, the baa-shiga sharia laws don't allow d male soldiers into girls hostel so they stand by d gate and yell. I went for parade d first 2 days and didn't go again till I left camp. Just 2 female soldiers on camp and they can't be bothered, so you hv ur freedom. I actually gained weight on camp surprisingly. And the camp director organised buses to convey we fct corpers back to abuja after we paid 1200 naira. That was a huge load of our chest because d last day of camp can be chaotic, everyone is rushing to be first to submit posting letter and get accepted. So her assistance was God-sent.
BTW, all these happened b4 the blast. I don't knw how the state is now.
9. Finally, from ur 2nd week in camp, start putting ur ears to the ground as regards posting. That's hw to knw which nysc official can runs it for U. Some camps, u pay like between 5-7k for posting. Mine was done for me From outside and was worse cos it was being done in Abj and not there on camp. But thank God it clicked. Make friends wit pple o, someone there may knw Goodluck, or one big shot that can influence. Even if u don't get posted to a good organisation, try and be posted to the capital and not some villages where camels are the only means of transportation.

All the best, take photographs and make urself happy. 3 weeks is a long time.
you have spoken quite well. . .
Re: Going For Nysc? Read Here: Survival Guide/tips For Prospective Nysc Corp Members by moshoodn(m): 10:04pm On Feb 23, 2012
all in all. . . good thread.
Re: Going For Nysc? Read Here: Survival Guide/tips For Prospective Nysc Corp Members by chidike(m): 10:33pm On Feb 23, 2012
i'm excited, i'm also going with Batch A. Should i carry my laptop. i have one white sneakers with small coloured stripes, can i use them there.

And i think we'll need to go with extension wire and extra batteries for charging phones, abi dem de on gen there OBS here i come!!!
Re: Going For Nysc? Read Here: Survival Guide/tips For Prospective Nysc Corp Members by osifred(m): 11:14pm On Feb 23, 2012
chidike:

i'm excited, i'm also going with Batch A. Should i carry my laptop. i have one white sneakers with small coloured stripes, can i use them there.

And i think we'll need to go with extension wire and extra batteries for charging phones, abi dem de on gen there OBS here i come!!!

i am interested in the answer to the bolded cos that wht i logged in to ask. n what is the active time in the camp
Re: Going For Nysc? Read Here: Survival Guide/tips For Prospective Nysc Corp Members by mystikal(m): 1:48am On Feb 24, 2012
please someone answer the laptop question, thanks
Re: Going For Nysc? Read Here: Survival Guide/tips For Prospective Nysc Corp Members by Nobody: 3:22am On Feb 24, 2012
mystikal:

please someone answer the laptop question, thanks
chidike:

No. Dont carry your laptop. 1. It may get stolen, 2. There's no where to charge it except you pay those that charge phones. Even with that you can't stand and watch for long and they may not have space for you to sit and use it. 3. There are cafes around but it may cost more to use your laptop there

Basically, the laptop may get stolen and you cnt be carrying it everywhere you go
Re: Going For Nysc? Read Here: Survival Guide/tips For Prospective Nysc Corp Members by Raxxye(m): 7:15am On Feb 24, 2012
@Fleps. U wouldn‘t need to spend much in camp. U can be comfortable with far less than 10k, especially if u‘ll be willing 2 eat what‘s offered from the camp kitchen. Back then in Oyo camp, d food was good, so I didn‘t spend much in mami mkt.
Besides, ur first month allowance will be paid in camp(around d 3rd wk) and bicycle allowance too(this will come much earlier). I hope this helps.
BTW, I notice u‘re very spiritual.

1 Like

Re: Going For Nysc? Read Here: Survival Guide/tips For Prospective Nysc Corp Members by Raxxye(m): 7:22am On Feb 24, 2012
walegees:

very educative.
notification of result and certificate, do both serve d same purpose @ d orientation camp? Coz i have my cert. already

Of course. Not just in NYSC camp, everywhere!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Bayelsa Corper, James Onuh Shot Dead: A Friend Of Mine / Why Do Some Male Corpers Sleep With Their Female Students? / What Are These Pregnant Women Doing In NYSC Camp(pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 134
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.