Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,021 members, 7,799,480 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 10:24 PM

Obasanjo In Senegal To Entrench Democracy! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obasanjo In Senegal To Entrench Democracy! (3408 Views)

Obasanjo In Auto-Crash, Escapes Unhurt - Today.ng / Obasanjo In Igbo Attire, Poses With Igbo Leaders (Photo) / Cheers As Atiku Stoops To Greet Obasanjo In Katsina (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obasanjo In Senegal To Entrench Democracy! by JinjaWiid: 2:49am On Feb 22, 2012
Former Nigerian President Olusegun Obasanjo, who is in Senegal to observe and help mediate a solution to this weekend's contentious election, is spending his first day in-country meeting opposition candidates, The Associated Press reports.
In a statement, Obasanjo said that on Wednesday he will meet five of the 13 opposition candidates running against the country's 85-year-old leader in Sunday's ballot.
They include Cheikh Tidiane Gadio, Moustapha Niasse, Ousmane Tanor Dieng, Idrissa Seck and Ibrahima Fall, as well as the leaders of M23, an opposition coalition.
Senegal has been rocked by daily protests ahead of Sunday's presidential election. Protesters say they will render the country ungovernable if President Abdoulaye Wade, who is just shy of his 86th birthday, runs for a third term.
http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news-update/37548-obasanjo-meets-senegalese-opposition.html

The protests in Dakar and across the rest of Senegal have left at least seven people dead and a police blunder when a mosque was tear gassed threatened to offend one of the country's powerful Muslim brotherhoods, prompting riots in a holy city.

As running battles raged in the city centre last night, former Nigerian President Olesegun Obasanjo arrived in Senegal at the head of an African Union delegation. Mr Obasanjo was once persuaded to respect the constitution himself and not stand in elections in Nigeria by Mr Wade. His arrival in Dakar has been welcomed by many Senegalese who would now like the Nigerian to return the favour and get their ageing President to call time.\ culled from the Independent/UK
Re: Obasanjo In Senegal To Entrench Democracy! by Kobojunkie: 2:53am On Feb 22, 2012
I sincerely pray that come election day, if the Senegalese President has not dropped out of the election, that he drop dead instead. grin
It is pure wickedness to hold the lives and hopes of millions to captive knowing fully well you have nothing of great value to offer them but waste their time, their future, and their lives in doing so.
Re: Obasanjo In Senegal To Entrench Democracy! by Nobody: 1:12pm On Feb 22, 2012
Coconut logic: Olusegun Obasanjo of Nigeria who failed to secure a third term is sent to dissuade Wade of Senegal from seeking a third term?
Re: Obasanjo In Senegal To Entrench Democracy! by 9jaIhail(m): 1:26pm On Feb 22, 2012
This old shameless daughter in law phucker
Re: Obasanjo In Senegal To Entrench Democracy! by Arosa(m): 1:27pm On Feb 22, 2012
African leaders are shameless. somebody should slap that Wade of Senegal.   embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Obasanjo In Senegal To Entrench Democracy! by Nobody: 2:12pm On Feb 22, 2012
Arosa:

African leaders are shameless. somebody should slap that Wade of Senegal.   embarassed embarassed embarassed

If you're an African, you'll do same wink
Re: Obasanjo In Senegal To Entrench Democracy! by Arosa(m): 2:19pm On Feb 22, 2012
Ranks007:

If you're an African, you'll do same wink

trust me, I am one African that would not toe the line. These African leaders are animals.
Re: Obasanjo In Senegal To Entrench Democracy! by Nobody: 2:27pm On Feb 22, 2012
Arosa:

trust me, I am one African that would not toe the line. These African leaders are animals.

They are all products of the system.

That's why I said you'll equally be a victim. I understand you may have values but the present system is very polluted.
Re: Obasanjo In Senegal To Entrench Democracy! by Emmzalon: 2:40pm On Feb 22, 2012
Ranks007:

They are all products of the system.

That's why I said you'll equally be a victim. I understand you may have values but the present system is very polluted.

Nt all has no 'fear' of GOD in heart bro. Pple like u 'n' i want changes and WE HAVE TO BE THE CHANGES WE WANT IN THE WORLD,IN AFRICA FOR DAT MATTER.
Re: Obasanjo In Senegal To Entrench Democracy! by omo9ja1(m): 2:50pm On Feb 22, 2012
well I think there is sense sending OBJ there, Baba is experience in all round, he fail during his third term bid so I think his the best candidate for the job

weldone
Re: Obasanjo In Senegal To Entrench Democracy! by kizito96(m): 3:44pm On Feb 22, 2012
Baba know how to talk about democracy, especially if it is a do or die affair
Re: Obasanjo In Senegal To Entrench Democracy! by chosen04(f): 3:50pm On Feb 22, 2012
omo9ja1:

well I think there is sense sending OBJ there, Baba is experience in all round, he fail during his third term bid so I think his the best candidate for the job

weldone

Experienced in daughter in-law's cossying you mean?
Re: Obasanjo In Senegal To Entrench Democracy! by Nobody: 3:52pm On Feb 22, 2012
chosen04:

Experienced in daughter in-law's cossying you mean?

Are you the daughter in-law he shagged ?
Re: Obasanjo In Senegal To Entrench Democracy! by Nonybb: 3:54pm On Feb 22, 2012
LMAO this country is jst very funny, i wonder who appoint this man for the position. A leader who destroyed this country in all ramification & was never a believer of democracy was appointed to install democracy?? Lol Oh God wat a joke. He failed wolfly to seek third term bid during his autocracy & hes now been appointed for other to calm down?, this is hilarious. I WONDER WENT POSTERITY WOULD BE WORKING IN THIS COUNTRY, PPL FORGOT PAST SO SOON
Re: Obasanjo In Senegal To Entrench Democracy! by chiama1: 4:11pm On Feb 22, 2012
OBJ common return to your Otta farm right now and stop fooling yourself. Wetin you know about entrenching democracy? CLown
Re: Obasanjo In Senegal To Entrench Democracy! by Arosa(m): 4:22pm On Feb 22, 2012
chiama1:

OBJ common return to your Otta farm right now and stop fooling yourself. Wetin you know about entrenching democracy? CLown

LOL, you are the clown here, remember he was sent to ivory coast and the kenyans came to him. Right now its Senegal that needs him.
Re: Obasanjo In Senegal To Entrench Democracy! by babaowo: 4:43pm On Feb 22, 2012
obj good @ peace keeping.
Re: Obasanjo In Senegal To Entrench Democracy! by Nobody: 4:46pm On Feb 22, 2012
1979 , 2007. I wonder why people keep disrespecting this man. Not a believer in democracy indeed.
Baba, carry go jooor.
Re: Obasanjo In Senegal To Entrench Democracy! by aAK1(m): 5:14pm On Feb 22, 2012
i dont know why people who went to school,should tink the way some of u do.there is alot u guys dont know about dis man.he may have made mistakes.he is human.i dont see any of u doin any better.i still fill time will tell.obj my be the best president nigeria has ever had
Re: Obasanjo In Senegal To Entrench Democracy! by Yeske2(m): 5:38pm On Feb 22, 2012
Was it not the same sin that OBJ wanted to commit that Wade had just committed-- Going for an extra term, put down by the Senate in OBJ's case but made legal by the court in Wade's case? How would OBJ mediate in such a situation if the opposition accuses him of that, wouldn't that be an embarrassment? Anyway he has no shame. Just wondering who nominated or appointed him on such a pretentious mission. Kettle calling pot black.
Re: Obasanjo In Senegal To Entrench Democracy! by Funkymallam(m): 5:47pm On Feb 22, 2012
Baba is d best man for d job. He threads where men fear to go near. He has been doing it, ask CIV n Kenya
Re: Obasanjo In Senegal To Entrench Democracy! by govano(m): 6:02pm On Feb 22, 2012
Honestly i trust uncle shegey when it comes to international affairs like this, especially in the African sub region.
He will come out with good results, his antecedence may not affact the mission.we need peace in Africa abeg sad sad
Re: Obasanjo In Senegal To Entrench Democracy! by govano(m): 6:19pm On Feb 22, 2012
Honestly i trust uncle shegey when it comes to international affairs like this, especially in the African sub region.
He will come out with good results, his antecedence may not affact the mission.we need peace in Africa abeg sad sad
Re: Obasanjo In Senegal To Entrench Democracy! by gidiMonsta(m): 8:22pm On Feb 22, 2012
Baba may have his faults but we all know he is the reason we still have democracy in Nigeria today, he made a lot of moves during his 8yrs reign to cripple d political wing of the military and the Northern kingmakers. He could have insisted on the 3rd term but the old fox 'jejely' stepped down without riots unlike other foolish African leaders (Gbagbo, Wade etc). I think despite his very obvious flaws, he's the right man for this mission. Good luck baba, help save innocent African lives.
Re: Obasanjo In Senegal To Entrench Democracy! by bknight: 8:46pm On Feb 22, 2012
a.A.K:

. . .obj my be the best president nigeria has ever had

Absolutely seconded. He is.
Re: Obasanjo In Senegal To Entrench Democracy! by Nobody: 9:28pm On Feb 22, 2012
Well, in a country with such low standards in leadership, its not surprising that some people here rate OBJ as our best ever. Not surprising at all.
Re: Obasanjo In Senegal To Entrench Democracy! by bknight: 12:04am On Feb 23, 2012
And some ppl will do well to note that it is "of all past presidents", no need reiterating what calibre of leaders we hv but of d lot I maintain OBJ has achieved most. Maybe not much has been achieved tho', one else has achieved as much.
Re: Obasanjo In Senegal To Entrench Democracy! by keyremotes(m): 12:52am On Feb 23, 2012
You people lashing out at OBJ, have you ever asked yourselves why the man is so well respected outside this country?
He did what IBB and many other African leaders refused to do twice.
Now, is that an easy thing to do in Africa?
If he wanted to tow the line of other African leaders he could have easily done so and nothing would have happened as usual.
Let us LEARN to celebrate someone who has achieved.
How many of you are perfect>
Re: Obasanjo In Senegal To Entrench Democracy! by waxrider: 8:30am On Feb 23, 2012
OBJ, I respect una. You r still the best compared to others.

We missed you.

Who is boko-haram when we have you as a president ?
Re: Obasanjo In Senegal To Entrench Democracy! by femoskiade: 9:52am On Feb 23, 2012
Really?! I'm so behind news! Which Daughter-in-law did BABA shag!? shocked
Re: Obasanjo In Senegal To Entrench Democracy! by Jemibee: 10:08am On Feb 23, 2012
I'm nigerian and i live in senegal. I can confirm this story, Obj is trully here on an AU mission. i pray he succeeds in convincing Abdoulaye Wade to step down. After rulling for 12yrs, aged 86yrs and making his son Minister of State for International Cooperation, Regional Development, Air Transport, and Infrastructure since May 2009, you all will agree with me that he's had his share of the national cake. He should let others too show what they can do for their country.
It must be said that he's really helped in developing the country but it's best he leaves since his people don't want him anymore.
Re: Obasanjo In Senegal To Entrench Democracy! by johnie: 4:19pm On Feb 23, 2012
JinjaWiid:

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news-update/37548-obasanjo-meets-senegalese-opposition.html

The protests in Dakar and across the rest of Senegal have left at least seven people dead and a police blunder when a mosque was tear gassed threatened to offend one of the country's powerful Muslim brotherhoods, prompting riots in a holy city.

As running battles raged in the city centre last night, former Nigerian President Olesegun Obasanjo arrived in Senegal at the head of an African Union delegation. Mr Obasanjo was once persuaded to respect the constitution himself and not stand in elections in Nigeria by Mr Wade. His arrival in Dakar has been welcomed by many Senegalese who would now like the Nigerian to return the favour and get their ageing President to call time.\ culled from the Independent/UK

grin

(1) (Reply)

Ex-rochas Foundation College Student on Rochas foundation / 19 Years Later! (pics) / APPEAL COURT AFFIRMS DEATH SENTENCE ON REV. KING

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.