Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,149 members, 7,807,484 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:06 PM

Masquerade Kills 16yrs Old Girl In Delta State - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Masquerade Kills 16yrs Old Girl In Delta State (6112 Views)

Masquerade At Burial Of Traditional Ruler. Nnewi / When Your Boy Friend Is The Leader Of Masquerade Group In Your Village [PHOTO] / Aguleri Town Masquerade Festival In Anambra (pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Masquerade Kills 16yrs Old Girl In Delta State by chuks49(m): 10:16am On Feb 22, 2012
The festive mood in Ogriagbene community, Bomadi Council Area of  Delta State has turned sorrow with the alleged killing of  a 16-year-old girl, Gerdrude Eboborou by a masquerade. The masquerade, popularly called ‘Ogborigbo’ was alleged to have hauled a club, which hit the girl on the head killing her few hours after the incident.

An eyewitness said the masquerade, on that same day used a fishing spear to attack a boy, who was in a festive mood, adding that the boy was later rushed to a private clinic for surgery.
The source, who pleaded anonymity said,  trouble started around 5pm when the deceased was having fun with her friends at the passage leading to her father’s house, when suddenly the dangerously armed masquerade appeared and started chasing her friends.

Continuing, he said when the masquerade could not  get  hold of any of the girls, who were ran toward the direction of the deceased’s home, the masquerade threw a club at them, which landed on Gertrudes head. immediately, she fell into coma.

He said sympathizers rushed her to the hospital but she died.
A medical source said her spinal cord was severely damaged, leading to serious internal bleeding.The news of her death brought the festival to an abrupt end.

The corpse,  according to the sources, was abandoned at the resident of the community chairman since it was he that approved the Ogborigbo Festival.the corpse was later  moved to the mogue of General Hospital Bomadi, he said.
A senior Police source  from the Bomadi Police Division, who spoke with our  correspondent could not confirm the incident, saying  the report was yet to reach the police.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2012/feb/22/national-22-02-2012-0010.html
Re: Masquerade Kills 16yrs Old Girl In Delta State by Coefficient(m): 11:29am On Feb 22, 2012
Boko Haram to d north; Masquerade to d East.
Re: Masquerade Kills 16yrs Old Girl In Delta State by hardbody: 11:32am On Feb 22, 2012
Let me think through this and i will get back with an opinion.
Re: Masquerade Kills 16yrs Old Girl In Delta State by indoorlove(m): 11:38am On Feb 22, 2012
The tradition of some African countries is detrimental to the societies, it has indisputedly done more harm than good! that is why we seems to embrace western culture and traditions. I swear, if i were to be the family of this innocent girl whose life has been cut short by this 'never do well' fools, i would smash life out of the masquerade and the block head community chairman that gave out the order. Damn! Its painful!!
Re: Masquerade Kills 16yrs Old Girl In Delta State by unipol(m): 11:40am On Feb 22, 2012
i think the police have to act fast before the masquerade get back to spirit world where it came from.
Re: Masquerade Kills 16yrs Old Girl In Delta State by expert555: 11:40am On Feb 22, 2012
Don't be surprise if that masquerade turn out to be her father of brother  
Re: Masquerade Kills 16yrs Old Girl In Delta State by omolafeanya: 11:51am On Feb 22, 2012
what a loss to the family, it was a deliberate act by the masquerade he had masterminded his plan and it worked for him he should be killed too.
Re: Masquerade Kills 16yrs Old Girl In Delta State by aglomar: 11:53am On Feb 22, 2012
N d police r yet 2 get official complaints! Hmm. D igbo-drunk jobless guy who dcided 2 masquerade 4 a living dserves 2 die.
Re: Masquerade Kills 16yrs Old Girl In Delta State by aglomar: 11:53am On Feb 22, 2012
N d police r yet 2 get official complaints! Hmm. D igbo-drunk jobless guy who dcided 2 masquerade 4 a living dserves 2 die.
Re: Masquerade Kills 16yrs Old Girl In Delta State by KINGwax(m): 11:55am On Feb 22, 2012
unipol:

i think the police have to act fast before the masquerade get back to spirit world where it came from.
hahahaha, laugh wan kill me die!
Re: Masquerade Kills 16yrs Old Girl In Delta State by jpilata(m): 12:02pm On Feb 22, 2012
Such a sad story.The family people of the girl should sue the comminity ruler.This is murder.
Re: Masquerade Kills 16yrs Old Girl In Delta State by KINGwax(m): 12:04pm On Feb 22, 2012
omolafe anya:

what a loss to the family, it was a deliberate act by the masquerade he had masterminded his plan and it worked for him he should be killed too.

^^guy relax small. U knw uche now? Uche na d masqurade. He don dey try to toast one of girls dem for some time now but non of them gree foram. He no meant to kill am now.
Re: Masquerade Kills 16yrs Old Girl In Delta State by bisiaet: 12:49pm On Feb 22, 2012
This is a very unfortunate incident and so sad indeed but the greater question is "So in Nigeria now anybody can kill at WILL"?? Police shot someone dead, Boko Animals bomb today, Kidnappers kill last night, Cult Kill today, Old woman in Opi area in East are Raped, and so on and the most annoying things is if even they were caught and arrested by police bet me in the next few days you will see that same criminal on the street again. Where is LAW in this country? I can definitely see we dont actually have la aw talkless law enforcment agency.
Re: Masquerade Kills 16yrs Old Girl In Delta State by yuzedo: 12:52pm On Feb 22, 2012
unipol:

grin grin grin grin grin tongue cry cry
Re: Masquerade Kills 16yrs Old Girl In Delta State by logica(m): 1:16pm On Feb 22, 2012
That's what happens when masquerades these days are young men crazed and in a frenzy from the copious amounts of gbana they would've taken for performance. Back in the day masquerades were old or middle-aged men.
Re: Masquerade Kills 16yrs Old Girl In Delta State by ifyalways(f): 1:39pm On Feb 22, 2012
Na wao.
Did the masquerade just hurl the club at the girls and what for?I mean why should "it" do such a thing?
Have the masquerade been unmasked and the identity of the perpetrator unmasked?
Is he an aggrieved lover or sent by one per chance undecided

I love celebration of our cultures via masquerade but this is not it and the perpetrator brought to book,immediately.
angry
Re: Masquerade Kills 16yrs Old Girl In Delta State by unipol(m): 1:58pm On Feb 22, 2012
ifyalways:

Na wao.
Did the masquerade just hurl the club at the girls and what for?I mean why should "it" do such a thing?
Have the masquerade been unmasked and the identity of the perpetrator unmasked?
Is he an aggrieved lover or sent by one per chance undecided

I love celebration of our cultures via masquerade but this is not it and the perpetrator brought to book,immediately.
angry

bia nwanyia. you are becoming unbecoming. who told you that when you unmask masquered you get human, noooo, definetely you see the faces of the living dead inside. spirits who died long time ago. i use to think like you till i got initiated in my village. lol. let me stop before i reveal the secret of our ancestors.
Re: Masquerade Kills 16yrs Old Girl In Delta State by bayleaf(m): 2:57pm On Feb 22, 2012
aglomar:

i cant see where it was stated that this incident happened in igbo land.
Re: Masquerade Kills 16yrs Old Girl In Delta State by rosefleurs: 3:34pm On Feb 22, 2012
unipol:

who told you that when you unmask masquered you get human, noooo, definetely you see the faces of the living dead inside. spirits who died long time ago. i use to think like you till i got initiated in my village. lol. let me stop before i reveal the secret of our ancestors.

I love this guy!  cheesy

On a serious note, RIP to the young lady. sad

chuks49:

An eyewitness said the masquerade, on that same day used a fishing spear to attack a boy, who was in a festive mood, adding that the boy was later rushed to a private clinic for surgery.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2012/feb/22/national-22-02-2012-0010.html

What about the injured boy?  And they said police hadn't been notified at the time of this report?    Sunnews is not particularly reputable, btw.
Re: Masquerade Kills 16yrs Old Girl In Delta State by Oceemo(m): 4:43pm On Feb 22, 2012
Why is he chazin only young gals dat masquerade is a PERVET, he should b unmask and ask y hiz interest waz on d young gals
Re: Masquerade Kills 16yrs Old Girl In Delta State by MissC1: 7:39pm On Feb 22, 2012
haaaaaaa. If d gal is a vigin,dat means it was purposly done to apese d gods[color=#770077][/color]
Re: Masquerade Kills 16yrs Old Girl In Delta State by muyoto: 9:25pm On Feb 22, 2012
this particular masquerade was obviously a sicko, after all the festivities have been going on for centuries without this kind of thing
Re: Masquerade Kills 16yrs Old Girl In Delta State by babsjnr(m): 9:52pm On Feb 22, 2012
Most Masquerade are possess by evil spirits and very aggressive.
Re: Masquerade Kills 16yrs Old Girl In Delta State by obailala(m): 11:36pm On Feb 22, 2012
babsjnr:

Most Masquerade are possess by evil spirits and very aggressive.

I guess evil spirits now drink small stout to cool off

Re: Masquerade Kills 16yrs Old Girl In Delta State by otilox(m): 1:54am On Feb 23, 2012
bayleaf:

i cant see where it was stated that this incident happened in igbo land.

I knew someone would pick up "igbo-drunk" and misinterpret it lol. Read it again ma dear.
Re: Masquerade Kills 16yrs Old Girl In Delta State by rosefleurs: 3:28am On Feb 23, 2012
Masquerades are some scary sh1t.  The scariest one I ever saw was an Ibo/Igbo masquerade in Surulere, many years ago.  Life was peaceful then.  Strolling down the street coming from the store with my comic books and meatpies in hand, I see people running in all kinds of direction, almost into traffic.  All of a sudden this crazy apparition is bearing down directly at me. shocked  I used to run really fast back then.  grin.  We tried to run into somebody's house but they wouldn't let us in.  Mehn, that's why I like the traditional Lagos Eyo masquerade.  That's just pure fun.  But, if you're a pretty sisi, and one of them knows you from before. . .  Lord, come see beating my sister got from a dude she used to do shakara to.  Okay, it was only hits on her open palm.  And, I think she may have been wearing shoes sha.  You're not supposed to do that.  Very arrogant girl. embarassed
Re: Masquerade Kills 16yrs Old Girl In Delta State by armadeo(m): 7:18am On Feb 23, 2012
otilox:

I knew someone would pick up "igbo-drunk" and misinterpret it lol. Read it again ma dear.

he meant weed gbana lala or whatever you call it not the tribe. lol

1 Like

Re: Masquerade Kills 16yrs Old Girl In Delta State by victorazy(m): 12:15pm On Feb 23, 2012
White men are over there working and researching on science, black man is here researching on masquerade.
Re: Masquerade Kills 16yrs Old Girl In Delta State by Holly4real: 6:56pm On Feb 23, 2012
Wow!!! What an Alarmic News, How can a Masqurade just kill d boy like that without any further investigationI think the Masqurade was a Mission to Manslutter, And i guess he had successfully Achieved his goal d devil sent him.
Blood socking demons!!! baga shi e geh!!!

(1) (Reply)

Which International Star Have You Met In Person? / My Take On Source of Yorubas from Benin As A Bini Nairalander / Yorubas And Fulanis Are Isrealites (must Watch Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.