Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,649 members, 7,801,892 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:15 AM

Influence Of Western Culture On Nigerians Fashion And Style Of Dressing - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Influence Of Western Culture On Nigerians Fashion And Style Of Dressing (10355 Views)

Adopted Western Culture That You Dislike. / Igbo And Yoruba Women Who Has Best Way Of Dressing / Western Culture Vs African Culture (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Influence Of Western Culture On Nigerians Fashion And Style Of Dressing by Fragilethaywo(f): 12:57am On Feb 23, 2012
In my observation, Nigerians fashion designers/ tailors seem to be under pressure to produce style looking like the westerns design, why? ladies don't want to be seen in the traditional IRO and BUBA neither to guys feel very comfortable in agbada although we all still love to rock our African print but we rather its sewn as boom short, mono strap etc and the guys will go for fitted jackets, high collar shirts etc. am not saying its bad but is it because we has Nigerians are loosing our cultural identity, or is it a case of been culturally diverse or an insecurity of not been civilized, or are we just exploring or feel the need to change our style of dressing to look and feel western? undecided undecided
it so bad lately that Nigerian ladies now walk the street almost naked just in the name of fashion, why are we doing this to ourselves, is it right or wrong. what are the effect of this change in our society, is it good or bad?? undecided undecided
Re: Influence Of Western Culture On Nigerians Fashion And Style Of Dressing by emofine2(f): 11:03am On Feb 23, 2012
Clothes evolve, and cultures borrow from each other. If you look close enough, you will also notice that Western designers have borrowed or tailored some of their clothes/designs to African ones.
The influence is vice versa. I don’t think it’s anything to do with being ashamed but perhaps contemporary or experimental.
There was a designer that fused African and Indian clothes together – the result was beautiful.
Re: Influence Of Western Culture On Nigerians Fashion And Style Of Dressing by Fragilethaywo(f): 11:13am On Feb 23, 2012
;DI agree wit u, but if I may ask y is it now that dey realise african print is beautiful, african print as been in existance for centuries n as not been given so much acknowledgement, are the western fashion designer just using the in pretence to be truely culturally diverse or because it seems to be one of the top selling print l8ely And pls for my research purpose I will apprec8 a link n name of the western designer dat used african n indian print
Re: Influence Of Western Culture On Nigerians Fashion And Style Of Dressing by emofine2(f): 2:24pm On Feb 23, 2012
Fragile thaywo:

;DI agree wit u, but if I may ask y is it now that dey realise african print is beautiful, african print as been in existance for centuries n as not been given so much acknowledgement, are the western fashion designer just using the in pretence to be truely culturally diverse or because it seems to be one of the top selling print l8ely

Actually I wasn’t necessarily talking about African print – more like designs inspired from African attire or even culture. But sure, western designers use a lot of African print too. You are actually right, African print has soared in popularity and maybe they do want to be seen as being culturally diverse even though I doubt that’s the main objective because fashion is international anyway. And that’s why many African designers (and other designers alike) cater to a diverse audience by playing with and marrying different styles.

And pls for my research purpose I will apprec8 a link n name of the western designer dat used african n indian print

Sorry I remember that collection from a long time ago, so I didn’t make a mental note of the designer at the time – I’ve been searching for the designer for ages myself (he wasn't a western designer by the way).
Do you study fashion by any chance?
Re: Influence Of Western Culture On Nigerians Fashion And Style Of Dressing by Fragilethaywo(f): 4:57pm On Feb 23, 2012
No I don't, but a fashion designer and I study Art Management
Re: Influence Of Western Culture On Nigerians Fashion And Style Of Dressing by ifyalways(f): 5:42pm On Feb 27, 2012
Who says you must wear iro and buba to look African?

The fashion designers simply need to step up their game . . .some already are doing so.They make lovely designs(tops,gowns etc) with our prints.The crowd i roll with are doing wonders with our African prints.
Re: Influence Of Western Culture On Nigerians Fashion And Style Of Dressing by Nobody: 12:15pm On Aug 16, 2014
Ok?
Re: Influence Of Western Culture On Nigerians Fashion And Style Of Dressing by Lagosian247: 6:16pm On Aug 20, 2014
Check out this great article:
http://www.leitmotif.io/2014/08/07/nigerian-fashion-is-fashion-without-teeth/

"So, can we call Nigerian fashion, "fashion"? Or are people just making highly interchangeable clothing? Has our fashion output inspired anybody to get into fashion design because of the strength of our collective visions? Or are people merely jumping on the bandwagon, hoping for fame, connections to the powerful in society and a way to make money?"

PREACH!!!

Also there's this new project on Twitter - @NsibidiInst
Re: Influence Of Western Culture On Nigerians Fashion And Style Of Dressing by Ihuomadinihu: 8:42pm On May 02, 2015
Lagosian247:
Check out this great article:
http://www.leitmotif.io/2014/08/07/nigerian-fashion-is-fashion-without-teeth/

"So, can we call Nigerian fashion, "fashion"? Or are people just making highly interchangeable clothing? Has our fashion output inspired anybody to get into fashion design because of the strength of our collective visions? Or are people merely jumping on the bandwagon, hoping for fame, connections to the powerful in society and a way to make money?"

PREACH!!!

Also there's this new project on Twitter - @NsibidiInst
I enjoyed that article. Indeed,colonialism and Western civilisation played a fast one on Nigeria.
Re: Influence Of Western Culture On Nigerians Fashion And Style Of Dressing by zodd(m): 4:42am On Jul 03, 2017
smiley

(1) (Reply)

Funny/wicked Nicknames From Secondary School Days / Horn Africans Are NOT BLACK / Ikeja Traditional Seat: Adeniyi Illo Raises Alarm Over Messages From Assasins

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.