Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,645 members, 7,801,877 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:20 AM

Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! (15388 Views)

Speaking In Unknown Tongues (part 1). / TB Joshua On Leadership Newspaper Interview: I Never Spoke With Anyone / 2 Year Old Christ Embassy Girl Speaks In Tongues And Preaches (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! by PA1982(f): 10:00pm On Feb 25, 2012
Why are we discussing glossolalia as being just a Christian practise.
It's well-known to be used by other cultures.
Re: Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! by BERNIMOORE: 12:53am On Feb 26, 2012
[b]@ stildude,
JUST HEAR YOURSELF;

I have recommended a book (Tongues; beyond the upper room by kenneth Hagin), try and read it.
WHY DONT YOU JUST CONFESSED THAT YOU HAVE BEEN BRAINWASHED by( kenneth Hagin) OUTSIDE THE BIBLE,WHY DONT YOU JUST HEED THE WARNING BELOW;

COL 2:8;
8 Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ.

NO WONDER THAT YOU CAN NOT EVEN QUOTE A BIBLE VERSE TO SUPPORT YOUR CLAIM IN ALL YOUR POSTS,

WELL

IT IS A SHAME THAT YOU UNDERMINE GODS WORD,THE BIBLE BUT HAVE TO RECCOMEND A BOOK WRITTEN JUST RECENTLY (19TH CENT TO 20TH), BY A NOBODY TO UNDERSTAND A BOOK A WHOLE (BIBLE) WRITTEN AND COMPLETED SOME 2,000 YRS AGO, AND HAPPENS TO BE THE MOST CIRCULATED BOOK WORLDWIDE.

FOR YOUR INFORMATION;

TIMOTHY AS A CHILD UNDERSTOOD THE SCRIPTURE DIRECTLY WITHOUT KENNETH HAGIN, AND IT WAS BEBNEFICIAL TO HIM;

2 Timothy 3:15,16

15 and that from childhood you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, [color=#000099]and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness,.

[/color]

DO YOU KNOW THAT BIBLE IS THE MOST WIDELY CIRCULATED BOOK IN THE WHOLE WORLD,

PLS DROP UNSCRIPTURAL BOOKS THAT ARE INFLUENCED BY PHILOSOPHY IDEAS WHICH IS IN LOGGERHEAD WITH CHRIST. DO YOURSELF A FAVOUR, BIBLE CAN BE UNDERSTOOD CLEARLY WITHOUT KENNETH HAGIN, ENH?
[/b]
Re: Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! by Joagbaje(m): 12:55am On Feb 26, 2012
PLS DROP UNSCRIPTURAL BOOKS THAT ARE INFLUENCED BY PHILOSOPHY IDEAS WHICH IS IN LOGGERHEAD WITH CHRIST.

Try read the book . It will answer all your question.

DO YOURSELF A FAVOUR, BIBLE CAN BE UNDERSTOOD CLEARLY WITHOUT KENNETH HAGIN, ENH?

But you don't seem to understand it by yourself. Just like the Ethiopian eunuch cool

Acts 8:31
31 The official answered, "How can I understand unless someone guides me?" So he invited Philip to sit with him in his carriage.
Re: Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! by BERNIMOORE: 1:01am On Feb 26, 2012
@ JOEAGBAJE,
It's very clear it means he should stop talking to people if he won't talk in language of their understanding and he must talk he should talk to God

YOUR COMMENT (IN BLUE) ABOVE SHOWS THAT YOU HAVE GRAB THE POINT, ITS BEEN A VERY WONDERFUL POST

NOW, YOU CAN ALSO COMPARE WHAT USED TO BE BEFORE DURING THE EARLY CHRISTIANS, AND TODAY,
Re: Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! by BERNIMOORE: 1:06am On Feb 26, 2012
@JOEAGBAJE

It's very clear it means he should stop talking to people if he won't talk in language of their understanding and he must talk he should talk to God

YOUR COMMENT IN BLUE SHOWS THAT YOU HAVE ADMITTED THE RULES ABOUT SPEAKING IN TONGUE. CAN YOU COM PARE IT WITH WHAT HAPENS TODAY, NOOOO ?
Re: Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! by Joagbaje(m): 1:07am On Feb 26, 2012
^^^
I never denied that. They may not talk to people in toungues but they sure can talk to God in tongues. And that's what people do in churches today. Talking to God in tongues.
Re: Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! by Nobody: 1:17am On Feb 26, 2012
1 Corinthians 14:19
But in the church I would rather speak five intelligible words to instruct others than ten thousand words in a tongue.

If churches are not filled with hypocrites today, so why can't they just follow the simple instruction above?
Re: Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! by BERNIMOORE: 1:21am On Feb 26, 2012
@ joeagbaje,

pls answer your question fast,

But in the church I would rather speak five intelligible words to instruct others than ten thousand words in a tongue.

If churches are not filled with hypocrites today, so why can't they just follow the simple instruction above?
Re: Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! by Joagbaje(m): 1:28am On Feb 26, 2012
What's the question? Pls
Re: Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! by Joagbaje(m): 1:35am On Feb 26, 2012
MrBible:

1 Corinthians 14:19

what you guys are still missing is that theres a difference between speaking to people In tongues and praying to God in tongues. You seem not to be able to differentiate them.

The whole church can pray to God in tongues or edify themselves in tongues . But you should not give prophecy in tongues without interpretation. Prophecy edify the body but Speaking in tongues Edifies us individually.

1 Corinthians 14:4
4 He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.

Jude 1:20
But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost,

Paul instructs us to always pray in the spirit

Ephesians 6:18
18 Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;

So when the church prays in the spirit or in tongues , it's very orderly.
Re: Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! by BERNIMOORE: 1:46am On Feb 26, 2012
[b]@joeagbaje

lest i forget,

you know, the greatest blunder you did today was to confuse jesus crying about lazarus death to 'speaking in tongue' im still laughing on that matter, expecially when you deliberately stop the verse at mark verse16: 17,
but vs 18 actually gave you another meaning to complete the sentence, only for you to cut it off.

jesus never spoke in tongues, its a fact, but you said it doesnt matter, but you also said all christians should speak in tongue,im i right, can you be rome than the pope?

obviously not all posses all these gift only few among them, neither was it mean a pre requisite to be a christian, hear paul,

1 cor 12:29

29 Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Are all workers of miracles? 30 Do all have gifts of healings? Do all speak with tongues? Do all interpret? 31 But earnestly desire the best[a] gifts. And yet I show you a more excellent way.

did the euthopian eunuch ever speak in tongue?

he only got baptised, he never read phylosophycal books or demand for them.

why do you even gave yourself a low esteem by thinking kenneth Hakins can do more than you do,or even influence your thinking, this is a man confined to be controversial, when he declare his death experience and the hell brouhaha, whos interested in those myth for Gods sake  compare to bible,its so irritating men, i have written so many books and i dont feel low esteem to anybody,pls do youself a favor.[/b]
Re: Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! by Nobody: 1:47am On Feb 26, 2012
Joagbaje:

The whole church can pray to God in tongues or edify themselves in tongues . But you should not give prophecy in tongues without interpretation. Prophecy edify the body but Speaking in tongues Edifies us individually.

1 Corinthians 14:23
23 So if the whole church comes together and everyone speaks in tongues, and some who do not understandg or some unbelievers come in, will they not say that you are out of your mind?
Re: Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! by BERNIMOORE: 1:51am On Feb 26, 2012

1 Corinthians 14:4
4 He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.

@ joeagbaje

NONE OF YOUR QUOTED BIBLE BELOW SHOWS 'PRAYER IN TONGUE' CAN YOU SEARCH MORE, OR HAVE A 50/50 FROM THE AUDIENCE?IM ACTUALLY GIVING YOU A LIFE LINE, YOU ARE FREE,

Jude 1:20
But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost,

Paul instructs us to always pray in the spirit

Ephesians 6:18
18 Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;

So when the church prays in the spirit or in tongues , it's very orderly.
Re: Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! by Joagbaje(m): 3:16am On Feb 26, 2012
Praying tongues is praying in the spirit dude. You can see paul contrasting praying in tongues (spirit) with praying in understanding here.

1 Corinthians 14:15
15 What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.

Hope it's clear to you now?
Re: Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! by Joagbaje(m): 3:35am On Feb 26, 2012
MrBible:

1 Corinthians 14:23
23 So if the whole church comes together and everyone speaks in tongues, and some who do not understandg or some unbelievers come in, will they not say that you are out of your mind?

I keep telling you He wasn't talking about praying in tongues but prophesying in tongues. In corinthian church ,they were so disorderly  10 people can be prophesying at the same time and in tongues for that matter!. So paul wasn't dealing with praying in tongues in this verse but rather prophesying in tongues.

Read the concluding part :

1 Corinthians 14:24
24 But if all prophesy, and there come in one that believeth not, or one unlearned, he is convinced of all, he is judged of all:

So his reference was not about praying here but speaking ,or preaching or prophesying.

It's clear that paul wasn't against praying in tongues publicly except in prayer of agreement, But he was against preaching or delivering message to people in tongues except there's an interpreter.
Re: Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! by BERNIMOORE: 7:05am On Feb 26, 2012
[b]@joeagbaje

where was 'tongue' mentioned here?below, but you actually 'insert' your own meaning,

Praying tongues is praying in the spirit dude. You can see paul contrasting praying in tongues (spirit) with praying in understanding here.

15 What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.

see other translation,

New International Version (NIV)

15So what does this mean? It means that I will pray with my spirit, and I will pray with my mind. I will sing psalms with my spirit, and I will sing psalms with my mind.

GOD’S WORD Translation (GW)

15 So what shall I do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will also pray with my understanding; I will sing with my spirit, but I will also sing with my understanding.

pls lets us be sincere here,and dont mix things up.

thanks for the cortesy anyway.[/b]
Re: Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! by BERNIMOORE: 7:07am On Feb 26, 2012
[b]@joeagbaje

where was 'tongue' mentioned here?below, but you actually 'insert'   your own meaning,

see other translation,

New International Version (NIV)

15So what does this mean? It means that I will pray with my spirit, and I will pray with my mind. I will sing psalms with my spirit, and I will sing psalms with my mind.

GOD’S WORD Translation (GW)

15 So what shall I do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will also pray with my understanding; I will sing with my spirit, but I will also sing with my understanding.

pls lets us be sincere here,and dont mix things up.

thanks for the cortesy anyway.[/b]
Re: Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! by Joagbaje(m): 7:40am On Feb 26, 2012
You missed out the living bible translation

15 Well, then, what shall I do? I will do both. I will pray in unknown tongues and also in ordinary language that everyone understands. I will sing in unknown tongues and also in ordinary language so that I can understand the praise I am giving;

thanks for the cortesy anyway.

You're welcome
Re: Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! by Nobody: 9:25am On Feb 26, 2012
Joagbaje:

I keep telling you He wasn't talking about praying in tongues but prophesying in tongues. In corinthian church ,they were so disorderly  10 people can be prophesying at the same time and in tongues for that matter!. So paul wasn't dealing with praying in tongues in this verse but rather prophesying in tongues.

Are you saying that 'praying in tongues' is allowed in the church? There is no mention in the Bible of praying in tongues, so why make up this 'praying in tongues'.
Re: Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! by PA1982(f): 11:14am On Feb 26, 2012
^^^ Good point.

BERNIMOORE:

, 2 Timothy 3:15,16
15 and that from childhood you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. ,

Hang on.
Wasn't Timothy actually written before the Gospels?
Please correct me if I'm wrong.
I always thought the Holy Scriptures mentioned here referred to the OT.
Re: Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! by Nobody: 11:57am On Feb 26, 2012
hey hey i'm loving his #joagbaje confusion parade! lol
Re: Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! by FXKing2012(m): 3:45pm On Feb 26, 2012
diluminati:

hey hey i'm loving his #joagbaje confusion parade! lol

Lost is calling someone else confused (lol)
Re: Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! by PA1982(f): 3:52pm On Feb 26, 2012
Once again with the slurs and insults, I see.
The OP has brought up a number of most interesting points and there are posters and readers who want to discuss them.
Any chance of you behaving like an adult and letting the thread continue without your schoolyard posturing?
Re: Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! by Joagbaje(m): 4:03pm On Feb 26, 2012
FXKing2012:

what an accurate description. grin grin
Re: Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! by FXKing2012(m): 4:15pm On Feb 26, 2012
PA1982:

Once again with the slurs and insults, I see.
The OP has brought up a number of most interesting points and there are posters and readers who want to discuss them.
Any chance of you behaving like an adult and letting the thread continue without your schoolyard posturing?

What is this, some sort of radical feminist movement or what? Why not complain about @diluminati's endless insults and name-calling which she is very well known for?
Re: Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! by PA1982(f): 4:22pm On Feb 26, 2012
^^^
I prefer to limit my comments to this thread.
What I see here is an interesting OP that some posters are trying to smother.
What the OPer does on other threads doesn't concern me here.
Re: Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! by Nobody: 5:10pm On Feb 26, 2012
FXKing2012:

Joagbaje:

what an accurate description of me grin grin
Re: Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! by stildude(m): 6:04pm On Feb 26, 2012
BERNIMOORE:

@Stilldude,

THEN  FOLLOW THE 'COMMAND' TO 'KEEP SILENCE' OR REMAIN SILENCE, [b]SPEAK WITH YOUR GOD
ONLY' IN SILENCE, MAYBE FROM YOUR MIND, AT LEAST EVEN WHEN YOU DONT OPEN YOUR MOUTH, GOD READS YOUR MIND.

[/b]

@Bernimoor. it is clearer by the time that you are either a baby in christ or an antichrist. Refer to the boldened in your post above. what do you mean by ''speak with your God''. bet you didn't know that that one will give you away. It sounds like what people of other faith would say. Tell us then, who is your own God. My God is the God of the universal, the almighty, the I AM I AM. JEHOVAH. The bible says in 2 cor 2:11, that we are not ignorant of the devil's devices. Maybe you are a member of one of those sects that go around with all sorts of bells and garments and only chant in place of speaking in tongues. Concerning this issue, I will leave you to your ignorance according to the commandment of the bible since you are always talking about commandment. 1 cor 14:28. ''But if any man be ignorant, let him be ignorant''.
if you read down to verse 39  (Wherefore brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues.) You will find out that you are only a confusion peddler. bringing half truth with you to arguments.  you keep posting bible verses out of context and you say that I have not backed up my posts with bible verses. It also means that you are very lazy, you can't even open the verses that I have written to check them out, you won't open the books recommended. You want everything to be served for you like Fr Evangel has been doing pasting all the words down for you to see.

You have been reading the bible, (as you claim,) you don't seem to understand, get a book that will help open up your understanding, you are talking of brain washing. In My church, it is a common saying that readers are leaders. we are always encouraged to read books. You spoke of timothy understanding the bible at a little age read 2 tim 4:13  ''The cloke  that  I left  at Troas with Carpus, when thou comest, bring with thee, and the books, but especially the parchment''. ypu will also see that in 2 tim 1:5 that Timothy's mother Eunice and Grand mother Lois were people of faith and have brought him up in the way of the Lord. Even the Epistles that Paul wrote to the churches were actually diluting the Word to their understanding level through counsel, teachings and reproof. Paul was a man of books. As you see here, he may have left the collections of books with  brother Carpus to also read. it was said of Paul  in acts 26:24 that much learning has made him mad.

I don't think, speaking of bible or knowledge of it that you are even close to me looking at the level of your arguments. I have two electronic bibles in my computer, I have a bible  and a bible dictionary in my phones. I also have at least three format of audio bibles both in  mp3 format on cd and computer not to talk of several hard copies that I have in my possession. I have also attended Bible schools. So what do you bring to the table but empty cynicism, contempt and obvious ignorance of the subject matter. I would rather be joining issues with Fr Evangel, Joeagbaje, Modele and other similar and good understanding minds here.

The fact that you have posted a few bible quote doesn't fool me. 2 cor 11: 14 best describes you in 2 cor 11: 10 -16 As the truth of Christ is in me ,  no man shall stop me  of this boasting  in the regions  of Achaia .
11 Wherefore? because I love you not? God knoweth.
12 But what I do, that I will do, that  I may cut off occasion from them which desire  occasion; that wherein they glory, they may be found even as we
[b]13 For  such are false apostles, deceitful workers , transforming themselves  into  the apostles  of Christ.
14 And  no  marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.[/b]15 Therefore it is no  great thing  if  his  ministers  also  be transformed  as  the ministers of righteousness ; whose  end  shall be  according  to their works.
16 I say again, Let  no man think  me  a fool;  if otherwise, yet  as  a fool  receive  me, that  I  may boast myself  a little.

Obviously, you want occassions, I ain't giving it to you. Cheers!
Re: Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! by PA1982(f): 6:15pm On Feb 26, 2012
^^^
Since when are Paul's Letters the Word of God?
Re: Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! by stildude(m): 6:24pm On Feb 26, 2012
PA1982:

^^^
Since when are Paul's Letters the Word of God?

Those are the epistles that you are reading in the new testament.
Re: Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! by PA1982(f): 7:01pm On Feb 26, 2012
^^^
Yes, of course.
But Paul is a human, not divine.
Re: Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! by Nobody: 7:06pm On Feb 26, 2012
PA1982:

^^^
Yes, of course.
But Paul is a human, not divine.

help me tell them.

Imagine what christianity was like before the apostate pastors like pastor chris stepped into the scene. they make paul like the forerunner of Jesus when he's just like any human prone to mistakes like these same pastors

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Palm Sunday Procession In Offa (pictures). / Should A Believer Join Any Protest, Demonstrate, Carry Placards? / Why Does God Allow Satan To Influence Mankind?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.