Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,774 members, 7,802,381 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:18 PM

Unijos Makes Breakthrough In Malaria Research - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Unijos Makes Breakthrough In Malaria Research (3733 Views)

Unijos Remedial Science Admission List Ready / Unilorin Discovers New Anti- Malaria Compounds. / UNIJOS Admission List Released! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Unijos Makes Breakthrough In Malaria Research by mukina2: 9:58am On Feb 23, 2012
The University of Jos yesterday announced a breakthrough in the treatment of malaria when it confirmed the viability and production of Artemisia annua, a plant used in the prevention and treatment of malaria in Plateau State.

The university’s Vice Chancellor, Professor Hayward Mafuayi, who made the announcement at a press conference in Jos, said the plant, also known as Sweet wormwood, is an active ingredient in the anti-malarial combination therapy that is widely used to treat malaria.

He said the study conducted by the university successfully tested and confirmed the growing of Artemisia annua for research and production which until recently, was only known to have been grown in China, India, East Africa and the Island of Madagascar.

Mafuayi explained that the institution through its Centre for Biotechnology and Genetic Engineering have harvested “283 kg of dry Artemisia annua leaves and 48 kg of Artemisia annua seeds which have already been tested at the National Institute for Pharmaceutical Research and Development (NIPRD), Abuja, and have confirmed that the Artemisinin content of the leaves contains 4.8% of Artesinin weight.

“The percentage is much higher than most strains of the plant grown in other parts of the world which have been used for Artemisin combination Therapy,” he said.

He thanked the Federal Ministry of Education and the World Bank for funding STEP-B initiative for commercial cultivation of the plant which he said gulped $198,000 and urged pharmaceutical companies and other interested clients to partner with the university in the continued cultivation and research on plant.

http://dailytrust.com.ng/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=155371:unijos-makes-breakthrough-in-malaria-research-&catid=1:news&Itemid=2
Re: Unijos Makes Breakthrough In Malaria Research by Kslib(m): 10:04am On Feb 23, 2012
Very good development.kudos to UNIJOS
Re: Unijos Makes Breakthrough In Malaria Research by kasperone8: 10:25am On Feb 23, 2012
Nice one unijos.
Re: Unijos Makes Breakthrough In Malaria Research by emmke(m): 10:28am On Feb 23, 2012
great jossites. proud of ya
Re: Unijos Makes Breakthrough In Malaria Research by Nobody: 10:31am On Feb 23, 2012
This news just made my morning. Imagine how many breakthroughs we would have made as a country if university research is properly funded.
Re: Unijos Makes Breakthrough In Malaria Research by Okijajuju1(m): 10:31am On Feb 23, 2012
Good Job Unijos. . .

This is much better than that Covenant University toy car. . . .
Re: Unijos Makes Breakthrough In Malaria Research by Okijajuju1(m): 10:34am On Feb 23, 2012
HNosegbe:

This news just made my morning. Imagine how many breakthroughs we would have made as a country if university research is properly funded.

Univeristy researches are funded by Government, Companies (depending on what research) and the universities. . . But when the Universities are not allowed to charge enough fees to enable them function properly, are also not adequately funded by the government that has literarilly made education free, and the companies are not willing to fund reseacrhes because of the dilapited equipments in the schools, what you end up with is "Nigerian Universities". . .
Re: Unijos Makes Breakthrough In Malaria Research by eghost247(m): 10:39am On Feb 23, 2012
cheesy cheesy this is nice to hear thumbs up Unijos
Re: Unijos Makes Breakthrough In Malaria Research by Nobody: 10:46am On Feb 23, 2012
@ Okija,

My point exactly. I believe research funding is poor because our leaders have the wrong priorities. Research expenditure has to be one of the most under-valued forms of expenditure, primarily because of its intangible nature.
Re: Unijos Makes Breakthrough In Malaria Research by pato405(m): 10:50am On Feb 23, 2012
sounds like a derivative of Artemisin [an already existing anti-mailaria]

hope the government and other pharmaceutical industries can come in and fund this.
Re: Unijos Makes Breakthrough In Malaria Research by ziga: 10:58am On Feb 23, 2012
I read the post expecting to find some bogus claim about the production of Malaria vaccine (or cure for AIDS) as is usually the case, but was pleasantly surprised.

Great Job to the researchers.

Hopefully, we'll step up from there and start to produce the Antimalaria medicine at much more reduced costs for the rest of Africa.
Re: Unijos Makes Breakthrough In Malaria Research by PresidentT(m): 11:00am On Feb 23, 2012
@Pato you are right. The new mode of treating malaria now uses the Artemisin as a based compound in combination with any of Amodiaquine, Lumefantrine, Mefloquine.
Nice one Unijos!
Re: Unijos Makes Breakthrough In Malaria Research by pato405(m): 11:15am On Feb 23, 2012
PresidentT:

@Pato you are right. The new mode of treating malaria now uses the Artemisin as a based compound in combination with any of Amodiaquine, Lumefantrine, Mefloquine.
Nice one Unijos!

yeah PresidentT

I know it's the new combination therapy. i was just looking at it from a novel perspective. I had read the post with the hopes of finding something entirely new, grin grin grin grin grin.

nice effort all the same. it's a step forward in the right direction. we need more research in all fields if our institutions of higher learning must gain international recognition. ground breaking studies is all we need!
Re: Unijos Makes Breakthrough In Malaria Research by stepo707: 11:19am On Feb 23, 2012
Thank God.Kudos Unijos
Re: Unijos Makes Breakthrough In Malaria Research by aglomar: 11:29am On Feb 23, 2012
Great! We too can do great things.

Re: Unijos Makes Breakthrough In Malaria Research by Ibukune(m): 11:44am On Feb 23, 2012
am proudly a josite. Great josites.
Re: Unijos Makes Breakthrough In Malaria Research by Okijajuju1(m): 11:46am On Feb 23, 2012
Ibukune:

am proudly a josite. Great josites.

And so what?!

Did you work on the project?!
Re: Unijos Makes Breakthrough In Malaria Research by Unubi(f): 12:05pm On Feb 23, 2012
that is great news from J. proud of ya.
Re: Unijos Makes Breakthrough In Malaria Research by emmke(m): 12:13pm On Feb 23, 2012
Okija_juju:

And so what?!

Did you work on the project?!
grin grin grin grin
Re: Unijos Makes Breakthrough In Malaria Research by Nobody: 12:45pm On Feb 23, 2012
Jona or the ministry of science and technology should release more monies to the univesity to encourage this development.

I love that, patiently waiting when HIV/AIDs will be caught, strangled and wipe off!!! angry
Re: Unijos Makes Breakthrough In Malaria Research by mkmyers45(m): 12:56pm On Feb 23, 2012
Okija_juju:

Good Job Unijos. . .

This is much better than that Covenant University toy car. . . .

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Kudos UNIJOS
Re: Unijos Makes Breakthrough In Malaria Research by echezz: 12:57pm On Feb 23, 2012
Just made me a proudly jostified josite!
Re: Unijos Makes Breakthrough In Malaria Research by howolorloh(m): 1:02pm On Feb 23, 2012
i tink dis is d veri first gud news i wil b hearing 4 dis 2012
Re: Unijos Makes Breakthrough In Malaria Research by sucre05: 1:15pm On Feb 23, 2012
Good news, but I was expecting something more exciting. Artemisinin and its derivatives have since been used widely in malaria treatment usually as a combination therapy. Sadly, numerous cases of resistance have been reported; hence, I was expecting to hear something about a new molecule or a more active arteminisinin derivative.

But Kudos to Unijos, at least they are making effort and that's the most important.
Re: Unijos Makes Breakthrough In Malaria Research by beespak7(m): 1:30pm On Feb 23, 2012
NICE ONE

Congrats unijos keep the good work but this is just a tip of the ice berg more breakthroughs need to be made. Nigerian universities need to step up their reseach and work we have the potentials.Incredible but true, most technologies we use today are actually breakthrough and discovery from university research.
Re: Unijos Makes Breakthrough In Malaria Research by Parnassuss(m): 1:57pm On Feb 23, 2012
Okija_juju:

Univeristy researches are funded by Government, Companies (depending on what research) and the universities. . . But when the Universities are not allowed to charge enough fees to enable them function properly, are also not adequately funded by the government that has literarilly made education free, and the companies are not willing to fund reseacrhes because of the dilapited equipments in the schools, what you end up with is "Nigerian Universities". . .

Universities are not allowed to charge students? Where?? In Nigeria?? Have you considered how much Igbinedion, Madonna, Caritas, Leeds etc charge and has anyone tried to stop them?
All over the world state run universities are cheaper and more affordable but that does not mean they should be underfunded by the govt. ASUU ought to fought better for funding rather than age increment.
All the same a fantastic job by UJ. This might be a million dollar investment if they can handle it properly.
Re: Unijos Makes Breakthrough In Malaria Research by Okijajuju1(m): 2:56pm On Feb 23, 2012
Parnassuss:

Universities are not allowed to charge students? Where?? In Nigeria?? Have you considered how much Igbinedion, Madonna, Caritas, Leeds etc charge and has anyone tried to stop them?
All over the world state run universities are cheaper and more affordable but that does not mean they should be underfunded by the govt. ASUU ought to fought better for funding rather than age increment.
All the same a fantastic job by UJ. This might be a million dollar investment if they can handle it properly.

I strongly believe that if the government Unis charged as much as the private universities, the turn out in terms of research would be higher. The government funds these universities no doubt, but the money is too small, and coupled with the meagre income they get from students, they have to pay salaries, repair buildings, vehicles, stationeries, e.t.c.

Let the universities charge as much as is needed within a reasonable limit for them to run properly, let the goverment fund the universities and make each champion a research in whatever, then let the goverment set up scholarship schemes for the students who cant afford the fees. .

thats how its done abroad. Not free education with zero substance.
Re: Unijos Makes Breakthrough In Malaria Research by miriatataz: 6:49pm On Feb 23, 2012
wonderful news, Unijos keep it up
Re: Unijos Makes Breakthrough In Malaria Research by moshoodn(m): 9:19pm On Feb 23, 2012
beespak7:

NICE ONE

Congrats unijos keep the good work but this is just a tip of the ice berg more breakthroughs need to be made. Nigerian universities need to step up their reseach and work we have the potentials.Incredible but true, most technologies we use today are actually breakthrough and discovery from university research.
true talk.
Re: Unijos Makes Breakthrough In Malaria Research by moshoodn(m): 9:42pm On Feb 23, 2012
sucre05:

Good news, but I was expecting something more exciting. Artemisinin and its derivatives have since been used widely in malaria treatment usually as a combination therapy. Sadly, numerous cases of resistance have been reported; hence, I was expecting to hear something about a new molecule or a more active arteminisinin derivative.

But Kudos to Unijos, at least they are making effort and that's the most important.
true observation. . . but its a positive lil step at least.
Re: Unijos Makes Breakthrough In Malaria Research by wordychap: 9:31am On Feb 24, 2012
great nija!

(1) (Reply)

Picture Of A Fulani Boy After His Graduation Today / 200 Level Students Of Unilag Lament Massive Failure In Chemistry Dpt.(see RESULT / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.