Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,331 members, 7,808,114 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:23 AM

Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People - Food (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People (13024 Views)

Poll: Are lefthanded ppl subject to normal table etiquette i.e fork and knife

applicable to lefties: 31% (10 votes)
not applicable to lefties: 31% (10 votes)
wtf, i'm african: 37% (12 votes)
This poll has ended

18 Basic Dinning Etiquette / ~Proper Etiquette Dinning Table / Table Manners/dining Etiquette (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People by hajifaty: 3:05pm On Feb 24, 2012
Lets be honest here. The poster himself is lacking both  moral and table manners. You don't violate other pples right while trying to protect yours. too much self esteem. sad but its true.
Re: Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People by snthesis(m): 3:05pm On Feb 24, 2012
btlasisi:

@Op,

It breaks my heart to read our Young Africans proudly copying other people's culture and even drag others to follow suit.

My dear you need to know whom you are because an English man will respect you for whom you are and never force you to adopt his table manner. [b]Ask your parents for your tribal table manners
and you will be real man for live.[/b]

if u see me eating rice and stew with my hands wudnt u refer me to d nearest mental institute grin grin

mxxpunkxx:

Hey Mr I.T.K., since when did it become a right?
Obvious stup!dity in it's highest pedigee
my bad sad sad,

its a left grin grin grin grin tongue
Re: Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People by antartica(m): 3:09pm On Feb 24, 2012
Etiquette my black a.ss. Are u oyinbo abi wanna be uppity darkie? Even every day oyinbos eats with their unwashed hands after using d loo. Dont be decieved by what they conditioned u to believe are right.
Re: Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People by snthesis(m): 3:19pm On Feb 24, 2012
hajifaty:

Lets be honest here. The poster himself is lacking both moral and table manners. You don't violate other pples right while trying to protect yours. too much self esteem. sad but its true.
one word bruv- EDUCATION!!!!
its not abt me, if u aint willing to learn - u wud make an ass outta urself.

antartica:

Etiquette my black behind. Are u oyinbo abi wanna be uppity darkie? Even every day oyinbos eats with their unwashed hands after using d loo. Dont be decieved by what they conditioned u to believe are right.
as i said lots of myopic folks hanging around angry angry
wtf does etiquette hav to do with ur skin color shocked shocked shocked
"u can take the man outta d bush, but u cant take d bush outta d man"
Re: Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People by aribisala0(m): 3:25pm On Feb 24, 2012
snthesis:

if u see me eating rice and stew with my hands wudnt u refer me to d nearest mental institute grin grin
my bad sad sad,

I guess these guys are in ARO or Yaba

Re: Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People by snthesis(m): 3:40pm On Feb 24, 2012
^^^actually they are in a bush, so they a re bushmen grin- and u knw wat they say "when in rome act like d romans"
Re: Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People by slam7000(m): 3:46pm On Feb 24, 2012
Its good to be aware of table manners/etiquette but shouldnt be binding on any body at any time.you eat how you feel comfortable with,i would not eat amala/eba/akpu/pounded yam with fork and knife just because of some silly etiquette.i was involved in some lab work yrs ago and had to use fork and knife for health and safety reasons, A chinese will consume a plate of rice using chopstick with either hands and the americans and british are learning that, If it had been an african,he,d  have been branded a bushman eating with sticks, we simply have inferiority complex issues

1 Like

Re: Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People by mxxpunkxx: 3:49pm On Feb 24, 2012
snthesis:

my bad sad sad,

yeah your bad . . it's an ambidextrous one . .
Re: Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People by adctrl: 3:50pm On Feb 24, 2012
I never really thought about what hand I should use to hold fork or knife as I sort of use both hands.
What if she decides to use her hand to pick the food as most people do for chips etc?

All that matters is eat in the most convenient way for you without making mess etc
Re: Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People by N101: 3:54pm On Feb 24, 2012
@ op, let me ask you this:

Did your girlfriend talk with food in her mouth?
Did she shout to the waiter "Oya, come!" Did she raise her voice at all?
Did she chew and spit out the chicken bones?
Did she put too much food in her mouth so that it was falling off the f/ork?
Did she wipe her mouth with the back of her hand?

Those to me are signs of bad manners and poor etquette. She is left handed and it is natural for her to eat with the fork in the right hand just as it is natural for you to eat with the fork in your left. Only lefties who have been forced by right handed people who know no better can do it the other way around.

So no, it is not poor etiquette. The fact that she can use a knife and fork properly is evidence of that, regardless of how "strange" you find it. A leftie eating with a knife and fork like a leftie in the 21st Century is not "bush". I can only assume your fellow diners were looking either because you drew unnecessary attention to it or they're not particularly cultured.

2 Likes

Re: Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People by antartica(m): 4:02pm On Feb 24, 2012
@sythesis,do u understand d concept of cutleries at all? I dont think so. Just like every other thing ur xeros type do,u just copy oyinbos emptily without meaning. Jaust because table manners are oyinbos problem,u tend to make it ur own problem aswell,caveman. For ur interest and the interest of darkies like u, oyinbo manners ends in d books,just for showoffs. In real life, they are mannerless.
Re: Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People by adebayo201: 4:06pm On Feb 24, 2012
antartica:

@sythesis,do u understand d concept of cutleries at all? I dont think so. Just like every other thing ur xeros type do,u just copy oyinbos emptily without meaning. Jaust because table manners are oyinbos problem,u tend to make it ur own problem aswell,caveman. For ur interest and the interest of darkies like u, oyinbo manners ends in d books,just for showoffs. In real life, they are mannerless.

shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People by tEsLim(m): 4:45pm On Feb 24, 2012
I bet he has never traveled out of Nigeria or lived with any eyinbo to really know how they are in real life. Tell an eyinbo girlfriend why she ate with the right hand or whatever hand she'll be like "Wtf , cos you bought me this shit you think you have the right to say shit? , stands up and pay for the food and leave you there and even tell you to keep the change/split change/tip with waiter "
Re: Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People by Nobody: 4:51pm On Feb 24, 2012
@OP

That should be reserved for the oldies. This etiquette thing is only to be observed in a strict cultural environment, other than that it is totally insignificant. You are taking it too personal. Those who stared at her were nothing but a big a.s.s.holes nosing around other people's affair.

Who gives a damn about other people looking. You should have told them to mind their own business while you are minding yours.
Re: Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People by jonced(m): 4:55pm On Feb 24, 2012
@op mr. Fancy restaurant etiquette uppity gentleman

U obviously are not the gentleman u claim to be. No real gentleman would attempt 2 embarass a lady by talking about her table manners right there at the table in a public place. Whether she was right or wrong is a seperate issue. But a real gentleman would have waited for a more auspicious time to broach the subject.

So, mr. gentleman op, you have some ways to go yet before laying any claim to being a real gentleman of the world.

Those who live in glass houses,
Re: Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People by juleze(f): 5:25pm On Feb 24, 2012
I'm amused by NLanders. Are Nigerians this insultive?
I believe we can pass across our message without being insultive.

I'm left-handed also and I've had to learn to use a fork on my left hand (duh) while using a knife with me right, same way I've learnt to use the mouse with my right hand.
The truth is I wish I had started out like this lady instead of trying to follow so-called etiquette, because I can't switch over now, yet using a knife on my right hand has not been easy. In other words, I've allowed myself to be a slave to etiquette.
I battle with my chicken as my right-hand isn't that strong, and there's been a time I think my chicken fell off me plate or so.

I have this close friend of mine that probably understood that my right hand wasn't that strong (I was a partial expert by then). Whenever we go out to eat, together or with friends, he would offer to cut my chicken or beef for me, or start cutting them for me while I was eating. It's just occurring to me now that he was being sensitive to my need. I just thought he was babying me then.

Synthesis, would you have done this?
Do you care more about the meaning that people would attach to your action than helping a sista out?
Please think on this.

2 Likes

Re: Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People by md4real(m): 5:33pm On Feb 24, 2012
what the Bleep? i am left handed to the core and proud. whats the big deal in one's usage of a fork and knife? wetin be the use of the knife self?
Re: Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People by adebayo201: 5:48pm On Feb 24, 2012
undecided right handed and left handed no b God create al? Haba, na wa 4 us oh! shocked
Re: Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People by tpia5: 6:21pm On Feb 24, 2012
The op is a big mumu.

Like knowledge of table etiquette comes automatically based on which hand you normally use?

He sounds very bush i must say.

Probably never saw a fork and knife before he was grown.

EVERYBODY learns such things at some point in time as long as they find themselves in situations where its required.

So, op, try to be civilized in your interactions with others, and stop giving nigeria a bad name.
Re: Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People by antartica(m): 6:31pm On Feb 24, 2012
Soon he will start worrying about how the chinese hold their chopsticks. Wash ur hands properly and eat ur food if that is what u got or better still, invent eating utensils with ur own rules and guidelines that the rest of the world will copy. The etlquette u are on about is of tudor and victorian age,it is outdated.
Re: Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People by adebayo201: 6:34pm On Feb 24, 2012
tpia@:

The op is a big mumu.

Like knowledge of table etiquette comes automatically based on which hand you normally use?

Probably never saw a fork and knife before he was grown.

EVERYBODY learns such things at some point in time as long as they find themslelves in situations where its required.

So, op, try to be civilized in your interactions with others, and stop giving nigeria a bad name.

shai! Tilapia don finish Synthesis oh shocked make una help us just because of lefty grin . Wahalai e no go finish 4 here cheesy
Re: Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People by ayojango(m): 6:43pm On Feb 24, 2012
Very arrogant talk,fork is on d left knife on d write if u not sure go watch PRETTY WOMAN
Re: Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People by tpia5: 6:45pm On Feb 24, 2012
adeba'gbo

^I know you're still smarting because of your hatred of english grammer, but i'm here to help you get over your fear of improving what comes out of your mouth or out of your keyboard.
Re: Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People by adebayo201: 7:01pm On Feb 24, 2012
tpia@:

^I know you're still smarting because of your hatred of english grammer, but i'm here to help you get over your fear of improving what comes out of your mouth or out of your keyboard.

mouth: tilapia ti binu o! shocked
keyboard: Ctrl+P tongue
Re: Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People by snthesis(m): 7:18pm On Feb 24, 2012
tpia@:

metinks u ar d ediot in dis case- wat schools did u attend- bush-it undecided
if u must knw d college i attended back den- u arnt allowed to enter d dining hall without ur proper cutlery set, talkless of using the sets improperly tongue

md4real:

what the bleep? i am left handed to the core and proud. whats the big deal in one's usage of a fork and knife? wetin be the use of the knife self?
eyah!! ignorance isnt bliss- truss me

jonced:

U obviously are not the gentleman u claim to be. No real gentleman would attempt 2 embarass a lady by talking about her table manners right there at the table in a public place. Whether she was right or wrong is a seperate issue. But a real gentleman would have waited for a more auspicious time to broach the subject.

dis dude u b winsh shocked tongue
too much CSI in ya system
Re: Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People by Rastamann: 7:24pm On Feb 24, 2012
which one concern etiquette inside food for restaurant? me na only my right hand I dey use o. I go use am hold the fork and anyone wey wan stare at has the freedom to do so.
Re: Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People by fred2265: 7:25pm On Feb 24, 2012
Ignore "etiquette" and the people who stared, she should do what's comfortable for her. Left handed are not "evil" or strange.
Re: Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People by snthesis(m): 7:27pm On Feb 24, 2012
juleze:

I'm amused by NLanders. Are Nigerians this insultive?
I believe we can pass across our message without being insultive.

tank u my Lady kiss, lots of uncultured folks with access to d net angry angry
btw, if u read my post i was jst askin for a lil education- thats all sad . in regards to ur question, yes i would, if she wasnt forming.

all4naija:

@OP

That should be reserved for the oldies. This etiquette thing is only to be observed in a strict cultural environment
thanks Bruv- but dats d problem with the world today, dis young dudes feel trads are for d oldies forgetting that it shows class, opening doors for a chic b4 u enta wud be frowned at by kids( adebayo201,antartica, md4real, and co tongue tongue) of dis days

1 Like

Re: Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People by SNCOQ3(m): 7:39pm On Feb 24, 2012
antartica:

Soon he will start worrying about how the chinese hold their chopsticks. Wash ur hands properly and eat ur food if that is what u got or better still, invent eating utensils with ur own rules and guidelines that the rest of the world will copy. The etlquette u are on about is of tudor and victorian age,it is outdated.

grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People by snthesis(m): 7:42pm On Feb 24, 2012
fred2265:

Ignore "etiquette" and the people who stared, she should do what's comfortable for her. Left handed are not "evil" or strange.

i'm not sayin its evil or strange o- jst wantd clarification if its ok for lefties to do so, twas m 1st tyme to dinner wit a leftie

tEsLim:

I bet he has never traveled out of Nigeria or lived with any eyinbo to really know how they are in real life. Tell an eyinbo girlfriend

u r ryt- na only oyinbo i sabi, i neva c eyinbo b4, do d eyinbo hav big nyansh, cook and cleans tongue tongue
Re: Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People by tpia5: 7:46pm On Feb 24, 2012
if u see me eating rice and stew with my hands wudnt u refer me to d nearest mental institute

and what exactly is wrong with eating rice and stew with your hands depending on the context?

like you never did it before?

ebi o o ti pa e!!!
Re: Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People by SNCOQ3(m): 7:48pm On Feb 24, 2012
I am proud to be a 'lefty' if i have to use only a spoon, i eat with my left hand even in public. I get the judgmental stare but i don't care.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Disgusting Cake Pictures / Good Friday: Did You Eat Meat ? / How Do You Plan Your Budget For Feeding At Work To Save You Money?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.