Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,324 members, 7,808,087 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:58 AM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (442) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4426965 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (439) (440) (441) (442) (443) (444) (445) ... (2227) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:06am On Dec 14, 2017
dotcomnamename:

Smh. Its the other way round for you. Bitcoin reduced this morning.

sir btc crashed yesterday from 17,200 plus to 16,110 this morning when I woke up around 8am. It rosed to 16,600 and now back at 16,3plus as at the time of typing. This is normal because number 1 properties of it is volatility.

But saying crashed I would disagree... there was a time it crashed during the weekend to 13,000 plus that is a "crash" sir. I bought 100 dollars during that period and sold when it was 16,700.

100 dollars turned 140.

Bought at 357 sold at 375 because of demand then making about 15,000 profit on a 35,000 capital just within 5 days. It is speculative no doubt but knowing your onions you will make profit from it nevertheless.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dotcomnamename: 11:11am On Dec 14, 2017
torres2:

sir btc crashed yesterday from 17,200 plus to 16,110 this morning when I woke up around 8am. It rosed to 16,600 and now back at 16,3plus as at the time of typing. This is normal because number 1 properties of it is volatility.

But saying crashed I would disagree... there was a time it crashed during the weekend to 13,000 plus that is a "crash" sir. I bought 100 dollars during that period and sold when it was 16,700.

100 dollars turned 140.

Bought at 357 sold at 375 because of demand then making about 15,000 profit on a 35,000 capital just within 5 days. It is speculative no doubt but knowing your onions you will make profit from it nevertheless.

You have justified the bolded and thats my point. Others are stories. I love CDPF. , Clear Direct Point Fact! cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by MrHighSea: 11:20am On Dec 14, 2017
Wow, sm1 here said no more tb auctions this year and if any funds will be refunded.
Truth
Just got credited the same amount i used in bidding on monday.
Una be winch

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dotcomnamename: 11:22am On Dec 14, 2017
Feelamong on 20th September 2017:

And the wise man quotes grin :

''If you have chance to buy Tbills now...better do as fast as you can becos from what we are seeing in the deal books..the rates would crash massively at this Auction''

''Lock in fast for any secondary market rate especially the 182 to 364 days''

''The Demands from the banks and Pension funds is awesome''

Source: https://www.nairaland.com/878880/treasury-bills-nigeria/392

Sometimes it is very good to be a listener, make research, ask questions but ignore I-TOO-KNOW

May God bless all investors and business gurus!

7 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by tunene66: 11:50am On Dec 14, 2017
Investnow2017:

Any sane and serious investor would have seen this coming, anyway. I saw it all coming since August and I quickly keyed in when the rates were 18% and above because I sensed that we were then in the best of times on TBills. Ever since, my attention has been focused on the NSE where it is happening big time right now. More funds, I am confident will move into NSE for the bumper season ahead! Information and timing is key to financial investment. One lesson we must all learn. Except that one is guaranteed preservation of capital, anything less than 15% on TBills at this time when there are alternative competitive investment vehicles is a joke. The cycle will play out though as the economy takes a new turn come 2018, hoping that oil price will continue to inch up and the govt is able to key in and sustain potential growth in the real sector.

Even the bullish run on the stock market can not continue at the same pace. I agree with the statement "Information and timing is key to financial investment"
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by awesomeJ(m): 12:02pm On Dec 14, 2017
It's really too early to make conclusions on T-bills now, all we're seeing with rates are panic effects. Let's wait for the Jan 3rd auction first, it's only 20days away.

Meanwhile, if you absolutely have to invest your funds for those 20 days, and the only offers you see are for 7%, you can do a 365-day FD at 12.5%, then terminate prematurely in January. After the penal charge and WHT, you should still make 9% returns. Or you could do a MMF at 15%.

I know stanbic offered up to 12.5%.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:10pm On Dec 14, 2017
awesomeJ:
It's really too early to make conclusions on T-bills now, all we're seeing with rates are panic effects. Let's wait for the Jan 3rd auction first, it's only 20days away.

Meanwhile, if you absolutely have to invest your funds for those 20 days, and the only offers you see are for 7%, you can do a 365-day FD at 12.5%, then terminate prematurely in January. After the penal charge and WHT, you should still make 9% returns. Or you could do a MMF at 15%.

I know stanbic offered up to 12.5%.

Boss, have you forgotten that, those investment you mentioned track Tbills. They will always offer something lower than Tbills true yield. I stand to be corrected though.

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by kings11ng(m): 12:15pm On Dec 14, 2017
MrHighSea:
Wow, sm1 here said no more tb auctions this year and if any funds will be refunded.
Truth
Just got credited the same amount i used in bidding on monday.
Una be winch
well stanbic is yet to credit me cos when I want to do a transfer with the money, it will be saying insufficient funds.... meanwhile am seeing the money there in the ledger balance but not in my main balance... what should I do?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by awesomeJ(m): 12:25pm On Dec 14, 2017
Jejebaba:

Boss, have you forgotten that, those investment you mentioned track Tbills. They will always offer something lower than Tbills true yield. I stand to be corrected though.
Certainly so, but we can only count on their inertia. For instance T-bills discounts have been at 15% for about 2 months now, yet most MMFs still sustain 17%.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:32pm On Dec 14, 2017
awesomeJ:

Certainly so, but we can only count on their inertia. For instance T-bills discounts have been at 15% for about 2 months now, yet most MMFs still sustain 17%.

Ok sir, please kindly let me know any MMF that still sustains 17% so i can move my matured Tbills there please. Thanks in anticipation of you response.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by PETERiCHY(m): 12:36pm On Dec 14, 2017
PETERiCHY:

After 2 unsuccessful bids Fidelity finally debited my account today based Dec 14th primary auction at my own discount of rate of 18.65% on 365% Tenor.

They even left the yield in my acct, Honestly I felt like someone that robbed CBN grin

Glory be to God almighty. cheesy

*ThE OcToPuS*

I don get alert na GOD win smiley

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:49pm On Dec 14, 2017
PETERiCHY:

I don get alert na GOD win smiley

Hope you won't loose the money in WAPCO Uncle Peroo ThE oCtOPuS.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by awesomeJ(m): 12:55pm On Dec 14, 2017
Jejebaba:

Ok sir, please kindly let me know any MMF that still sustains 17% so i can move my matured Tbills there please. Thanks in anticipation of you response.
Stanbic MMF. Website says 17.65% for yield today.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Investnow2017: 12:55pm On Dec 14, 2017
Jejebaba:

Stanbic IBTC MMF still offers 16.9 - 17.1% on the average so far. Got 16.98% yesterday. They are good.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:03pm On Dec 14, 2017
awesomeJ:

Stanbic MMF. Website says 17.65% for yield today.

Thanks boss
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:04pm On Dec 14, 2017
Investnow2017:

Stanbic IBTC MMF still offers 16.9 - 17.1% on the average so far. Got 16.98% yesterday. They are good.

Thanks boss.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dipoolowoo: 1:51pm On Dec 14, 2017
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:12pm On Dec 14, 2017
By Modupe Gbadeyanka

Treasury bills yields yesterday traded on a flat note at the market as traders participated in the bond auction conducted by the Debt Management Office (DMO).

At the close of business on Wednesday, the yields closed at 14.26 percent, the same rate it traded on Tuesday.

Investors are anticipating the repayment of N131.415 billion worth of maturing Nigerian Treasury Bills (NTBs) today by the government through the debt office.

But due to the bond auction yesterday, Business Post reports that the treasury bills market was quiet.

However, the market is expected to be vibrant today, though the average yields may drop.

Meanwhile, the money market rates increased yesterday at the close of transactions.

Both the overnight and open buy back (OBB) rates recorded marginal growth.

While the overnight rate increased to 3 percent from 2.92 percent, the OBB rate rose to 2.50 percent from 2.33 percent.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by yomi007k(m): 2:15pm On Dec 14, 2017
tongue

Thank God oo..7% koo, 7% ni....

Dem wan give me high bp for here.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by amjustme2: 2:31pm On Dec 14, 2017
Better late than never.

2017 has been the kinky year, even with recession.

2018 looks far more better.

torres2:

Imagine buying bitcoin of 300plus and just keeping for a month and value now up to 800 plus now. This was a fee kept for my M.Sc.

Bitcoin has been my financial regret of 2017 selling my btc on 11/03/2017 for 257k and value now 2.6million.

A hard lesson that have thicken my risk towards investment I must say

When I went last to terminate my last investments the man in charge had to even if I was getting married as he was curious to why I kept terminating my investment. Well how do I explaib crypto in a banking hall. I just told him it is for an emergency.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Ojix85: 2:32pm On Dec 14, 2017
yomi007k:
tongue

Thank God oo..7% koo, 7% ni....

Dem wan give me high bp for here.

grin grin I'm glad too. Seems like good news.
But in the light of the recent happenings, one must begin to diversify.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 6:47pm On Dec 14, 2017
tunene66:

Even the bullish run on the stock market can not continue at the same pace. I agree with the statement "Information and timing is key to financial investment"

Stocks were selling below their intrinsic values for more than 4 years, smart investors were buying and accumulating on a regular basis.
With the expected fall in interest rates and Treasury Bills, the stock market is expected to do well.

Nigeria just exited recession and the effects of this can be seen in the financial performance of quoted companies.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:08pm On Dec 14, 2017
Investnow2017:

but this rate is update daily I guess.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by RichYoungRuler(m): 7:10pm On Dec 14, 2017
Hi, Nice but truth is GTBank does not allow you sell your TBills, they buy off from you.
What banks allow you sell your TBills Short t? My understanding with GT is that once you are ready to terminate they buy it off you.
No chance for errm the rates are lower now so u should be able to gimme something on top!!!
No short selling of TBills with GTBank in my understanding.
Please state the banks that allow this in Nigeria, so we can know where to go for such.

awesomeJ:

It's easy.
If I buy 1m bills at 15% discount. I will be debited 850k. So my actual principal is 850k, will should become 1m if the investment matures.
Now if I decide immediately to terminate for whatever reason, and you want to buy from me at 18% you will only give me 820k, and collect the 1m on maturity, so I'll be losing 30k.
But if the prevailing market rates implies that I sell to you at 12%, then what you'll pay me will be 880k, which to me will be a 30k profit.

Basically, there's a profit when you sell at at a lower discount. And there's a loss when you sell at a higher discount.

To put things in another perspective, let's say you want to retail an item at your local store in Lagos. Item costs $100 per unit. It's year end promo, and Walmart is giving you a 10% discount.
Now when the goods reach Lagos, which will earn you profit-Offering a 5% discount or offering a 15% discount?. Obviously the latter has you selling at $85 while the former implies a $95 retail price. Cost to you is $90. So it's selling at a lower discount (5%) that brings the bucks.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by awesomeJ(m): 9:12pm On Dec 14, 2017
RichYoungRuler:
Hi, Nice but truth is GTBank does not allow you sell your TBills, they buy off from you.
What banks allow you sell your TBills Short t? My understanding with GT is that once you are ready to terminate they buy it off you.
No chance for errm the rates are lower now so u should be able to gimme something on top!!!
No short selling of TBills with GTBank in my understanding.
Please state the banks that allow this in Nigeria, so we can know where to go for such.

It's not who buys that counts, rather the discount at which it's bought. Getting your bills bought (by or through GTB) at a lower discount implies profit.
However, Whitechocolate mentioned that she sold hers through Stanbic.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Fxmanager(m): 9:45pm On Dec 14, 2017
Ojix85:

grin grin I'm glad too. Seems like good news.
But in the light of the recent happenings, one must begin to diversify.
Check our signature for an alternative investment platform to diversify your investments. we target a return of an average 5-10% monthly return to investors.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by zamirikpo(m): 11:19pm On Dec 14, 2017
feelamong:

Sharp guy!

Any smart Investor that wants to make more money should have reduced his Tbills investments by now!

The stock markets and the Cryptos space is the place to be now!

Please do your DD in any of these places sha! the sharks there are merciless!! grin

Boss, the stock market and cryptocurrencies especially bitcoin is not like TB. it takes some serious studies to understand how that works, i am no expert but am sure the price of cryptos rise and fall , not everyone can manage that risk. when do i buy, when do i sell? when is the price action over extended. at the moment people buying may just be buying at the top before a sell off.,those enjoying it , are the once who started very very early. remember the saying that anything that goes up surely comes down.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 3:43am On Dec 15, 2017
Fxmanager:
Check our signature for an alternative investment platform to diversify your investments. we target a return of an average 5-10% monthly return to investors.

What is the name of your fund management company?

Is your company registered and regulated by SEC?

Is your company registered by CBN?

Is your investment scheme registered and regulated by SEC.

Do you have reputable firms like First trustee, United trustee, Union trustee, who are appointed to act as the trustees of your investment schemes?

Do you have reputable companies who act like the custodians of the investible funds eg UBA custodians, First custodians etc?

Who are your fund managers? Can you share the CV of your fund managers? Are the fund managers licensed by SEC?

Your answers to these probing questions are needed urgently.

These were the questions I asked mmm guys, since the guys could not provide convincing answers I was able to save myself and my money from the brouhaha caused by the freezing and final crash of MMM.

18 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Fxmanager(m): 6:31am On Dec 15, 2017
emmanuelewumi:

What is the name of your fund management company?

Is your company registered and regulated by SEC?

Is your company registered by CBN?

Is your investment scheme registered and regulated by SEC.

Do you have reputable firms like First trustee, United trustee, Union trustee, who are appointed to act as the trustees of your investment schemes?

Do you have reputable companies who act like the custodians of the investible funds eg UBA custodians, First custodians etc?

Who are your fund managers? Can you share the CV of your fund managers? Are the fund managers licensed by SEC?

Your answers to these probing questions are needed urgently.

These were the questions I asked mmm guys, since the guys could not provide convincing answers I was able to save myself and my money from the brouhaha caused by the freezing and final crash of MMM.
Please we will get back to you with answers to you questions. Bear with us. Thanks you

(1) (2) (3) ... (439) (440) (441) (442) (443) (444) (445) ... (2227) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.