Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,785 members, 7,802,447 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:35 PM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (519) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4419363 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (516) (517) (518) (519) (520) (521) (522) ... (2226) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Gavrelino123: 7:40am On May 24, 2018
ahiboilandgas:
go to bank it around 13.8 now it was 15.54 b4 u get coupon payment bi annually for it duration some can be 10 years u don turn federal govt worker be that
lol...."federal government worker"..
Also,remember that it's a minimum of 50Million.
T.B minimum is 100k.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 7:46am On May 24, 2018
Gavrelino123:

Also,memember that it's a minimum of 50Million.
no is for bond ....as little as 10 k for saving bond which coupons is paid .every 3 month .....50 m is for biding direct in primary market of treasury bills...bond give more stable income over time cos u can lock fund at 16.5 last year for 5 years ....the rate don't change(interest paid) till maturity ...but there is risk of other instruments going up and leaving u at 16.5 but u can trade ur bond too

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 7:48am On May 24, 2018
Gavrelino123:

Also,memember that it's a minimum of 50Million.
T.B minimum is 100k.
wrong bond is 10 k ,tb is 50 m when u qoute your rate
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ImperialCovfefe: 8:18am On May 24, 2018
ahiboilandgas:
wrong bond is 10 k ,tb is 50 m when u qoute your rate

Bro,

Have you actually purchased an FGN (not savings) bond recently (after April 2017)?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 8:54am On May 24, 2018
ImperialCovfefe:

Bro,

Have you actually purchased an FGN (not savings) bond recently (after April 2017)?
they are all FGN bonds... saving ,green .2020,2030 last time i bought was in 2016 ....minimum is 10 k as written on the form on debt management office website
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by billtommy(m): 9:25am On May 24, 2018
anyone has easy access to know First bank's rate for today? The customer care rep i spoke to had no idea of what secondary rate is.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:09am On May 24, 2018
please I thought the rate comes out per 2weeks? I went to sub for tbills last week friday.the woman said they debit every 2 week and there is no rate yet till dey debit me.
I invested 1M..they have collected the 1M but am yet to get my profits....Help Help
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ImperialCovfefe: 10:18am On May 24, 2018
ahiboilandgas:
they are all FGN bonds... saving ,green .2020,2030 last time i bought was in 2016 ....minimum is 10 k as written on the form on debt management office website

With the introduction of the savings bond (March 2017), the minimum amount for the regular FGN bonds (not the ones geared towards the retail market, like the sukuk) was reviewed upwards to 50m
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by awesomeJ(m): 1:21pm On May 24, 2018
ImperialCovfefe:

With the introduction of the savings bond (March 2017), the minimum amount for the regular FGN bonds (not the ones geared towards the retail market, like the sukuk) was reviewed upwards to 50m
To make things worse, discount houses like FSDH wouldn't even let you open an account if you're with less than 50m.

Maybe bond funds would be worth taking a look at now. There should be ones with 13-15% yields currently.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ImperialCovfefe: 1:25pm On May 24, 2018
awesomeJ:

To make things worse, discount houses like FSDH wouldn't even let you open an account if you're with less than 50m.

Maybe bond funds would be worth taking a look at now. There should be ones with 13-15% yields currently.

Bond funds are opaque. Their annual and quarterly statements rarely give you information about the yearly coupon/distribution/dividend. They keep peddling their change in NAV.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by awesomeJ(m): 2:15pm On May 24, 2018
ImperialCovfefe:

Bond funds are opaque. Their annual and quarterly statements rarely give you information about the yearly coupon/distribution/dividend. They keep peddling their change in NAV.
Same practice with all fund managers?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by feeddhung: 2:30pm On May 24, 2018
Amazing info share on bonds. Thanks y'all. Appreciate. Am looking to probably focus more on TB since i wont want to keep my funds for 5 years. With about N7m + which bank will give me the best rate and service. GTB currently is at 10%. Guys please what do we think?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ImperialCovfefe: 2:38pm On May 24, 2018
awesomeJ:

Same practice with all fund managers?

I haven’t subscribed to one. I was interested and tried sourcing for information from the publicly available statements/reports/prospectuses
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by awesomeJ(m): 2:54pm On May 24, 2018
ImperialCovfefe:

I haven’t subscribed to one. I was interested and tried sourcing for information from the publicly available statements/reports/prospectuses

I see.
I'll try make some findings though. There should be a way around this bond trading.

I wish other knowledgeable members here would give some insights on how retail investors can also board this vehicle.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by michael03: 5:37pm On May 24, 2018
What is d best stop rate for 208 days in secondary market at any bank also how do u calculate for interest In secondary market. Thanks
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Sach: 9:30pm On May 24, 2018
ImperialCovfefe:

Bro,

Hi could you enlighten further on bonds? There was a period I wanted to buy through the bank and was told that the bonds are being sold at a premium not at a discount like tb. I.e if I have N1 million, I cannot buy 1 million bonds, can only buy 800k or less etc. Is this a general rule about all bonds ....
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Gavrelino123: 9:57pm On May 24, 2018
ahiboilandgas:
no is for bond ....as little as 10 k for saving bond which coupons is paid .every 3 month .....50 m is for biding direct in primary market of treasury bills...bond give more stable income over time cos u can lock fund at 16.5 last year for 5 years ....the rate don't change(interest paid) till maturity ...but there is risk of other instruments going up and leaving u at 16.5 but u can trade ur bond too
That's good....did you purchase the BOND through your bank or a discount house..?
My knowledge on Federal Government Bond is limited academically......I don't have any practical knowledge about it...
Kindly enlightened me the processes on how to Suscribe for it...
Explain it in stages....
Thanks..

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 10:29pm On May 24, 2018
Gavrelino123:

That's good....did you purchase the BOND through your bank or a discount house..?
My knowledge on Federal Government Bond is limited academically......I don't have any practical knowledge about it...
Explain it in stages....
Thanks..
bank ...u can download it form from the debt magntment office website fill and submit to participating banks . I have some runing till 2030..@15.54....mix up your investment (bond,tb )for stability ....all fixed income investor (banks discount houses and pension company) have the mix....best strategy....use coupon payment to buy treasury bill .....this immune u from price drop .

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 10:30pm On May 24, 2018
Gavrelino123:

Explain it in stages....
Thanks..
gtb@ 15.54 2020
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Gavrelino123: 10:42pm On May 24, 2018
ahiboilandgas:
gtb@ 15.54 2020
Explain to me step by step on how it went!!
if that i knew,i would have looked down on Bond.
kindly,read my last Quote..
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Gavrelino123: 11:20pm On May 24, 2018
ahiboilandgas:
bank ...u can download it form from the debt magntment office website fill and submit to participating banks . I have some runing till 2030..@15.54....mix up your investment (bond,tb )for stability ....all fixed income investor (banks discount houses and pension company) have the mix....best strategy....use coupon payment to buy treasury bill .....this immune u from price drop .
Thanks bro,for the enlightenment....you are a smart investor..
I only pray they will accept below 50m.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by lancee(m): 3:06am On May 25, 2018
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by spenca: 7:26am On May 25, 2018
These banks put a limit to the principal they take for bonds due to the longtivity of the asset. They try to avoid traders buying the instrument rather than investors. If you want to purchase the FGN bonds you may approach a house to buy from the secondary market for you if you do not meet the criteria of your commercial bank. Bonds are traded daily and sometimes you may get investors willing to share part of their bonds which may match the principal which you intend to invest. The beauty of bond is the steady stream of inflow quarterly or bi-annually which can be further invested in other assets T-bills or equities.
Download the form from DMO and take it to your commercial bank. It is best you emphasized it is FGN BONDS and not FGN SAVINGS BONDS these are two different instruments
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Gavrelino123: 7:44am On May 25, 2018
spenca:
These banks put a limit to the principal they take for bonds due to the longtivity of the asset. They try to avoid traders buying the instrument rather than investors. If you want to purchase the FGN bonds you may approach a house to buy from the secondary market for you if you do not meet the criteria of your commercial bank. Bonds are traded daily and sometimes you may get investors willing to share part of their bonds which may match the principal which you intend to invest. The beauty of bond is the steady stream of inflow quarterly or bi-annually which can be further invested in other assets T-bills or equities.
Download the form from DMO and take it to your commercial bank. It is best you emphasized it is FGN BONDS and not FGN SAVINGS BONDS these are two different instruments
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Gavrelino123: 7:45am On May 25, 2018
spenca:
Thanks.....but how's the interest calculated..?using 10m for example at an interest rate of 15%.
what are the taxes like compared to TB.?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by feeddhung: 7:49am On May 25, 2018
Is GTB recommended bank for the FGN Bond? Which other financial institutions would you recommend? Thank you.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by confluence: 9:46am On May 25, 2018
That should be #750k biannual, making it#1.5M for one year,
Gavrelino123:

Thanks.....but how's the interest calculated..?using 10m for example at an interest rate of 15%.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:46am On May 25, 2018
Osahon7:
please I thought the rate comes out per 2weeks? I went to sub for tbills last week friday.the woman said they debit every 2 week and there is no rate yet till dey debit me.
I invested 1M..they have collected the 1M but am yet to get my profits....Help Help
help oooooo

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by awesomeJ(m): 12:27pm On May 25, 2018
spenca:
Thank you for this.

As per bank thresholds, do you have any specific examples?
For other investment houses, do you have an idea of what their own threshold is too?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by awesomeJ(m): 12:28pm On May 25, 2018
Gavrelino123:

T- bills and bonds are tax free till 2021. Hopefully, the waiver will get extended beyond then.

7 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (516) (517) (518) (519) (520) (521) (522) ... (2226) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: skydiver01, narite and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.