Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,412 members, 7,808,465 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:21 PM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (64) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4427318 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (61) (62) (63) (64) (65) (66) (67) ... (2227) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by petikal(m): 5:20pm On Oct 22, 2014
icemann:

Thanks brother. So which is a better deal for 6 months investment for $5000
FD's have a few shortcomings compared to TBills - taxes and lower interest rates being the biggest. For 6 months on $5000, I'd say go for TBill; with the current pattern, that should fetch you at least 5.2% interest.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by icemann(m): 5:49pm On Oct 22, 2014
petikal:

FD's have a few shortcomings compared to TBills - taxes and lower interest rates being the biggest. For 6 months on $5000, I'd say go for TBill; with the current pattern, that should fetch you at least 5.2% interest.

Thanks. I would test the waters first before going in. One last thing, what is the average interest rate on fixed deposit on 3 months and 6 months tenor in any bank you know. Naira and dollar account.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by petikal(m): 6:17pm On Oct 22, 2014
icemann:

Thanks. I would test the waters first before going in. One last thing, what is the average interest rate on fixed deposit on 3 months and 6 months tenor in any bank you know. Naira and dollar account.
I don't know about FD on dollar accounts. I'm also yet to find a bank that'll match Tbill rates; they're typically 2-3% lower + taxes, and not paid upfront. So, what you'll get for 5.2% on TBill for 6months will likely end up being ~3.2% on FD.

Mutual funds on the other hand is a competing alternative; ernie4life discussed about them in his thread here. I believe KGIF is offering 12% (per annum) and pays in 2 installments, although as with many managed funds, there are fees upward of 2%.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by icemann(m): 7:01pm On Oct 22, 2014
petikal:

I don't know about FD on dollar accounts. I'm also yet to find a bank that'll match Tbill rates; they're typically 2-3% lower + taxes, and not paid upfront. So, what you'll get for 5.2% on TBill for 6months will likely end up being ~3.2% on FD.
Mutual funds on the other hand is a competing alternative; ernie4life discussed about them in his thread here. I believe KGIF is offering 12% (per annum) and pays in 2 installments, although as with many managed funds, there are fees upward of 2%.

Thanks bro, you did a good job on clarification.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by obiak4(m): 4:47am On Oct 23, 2014
find attached cbn calendar for tbill for the fourth quater 2014

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by careerwoman(f): 6:25pm On Oct 23, 2014
Please,does anyone know the cbn stop rates for this week's auction and the day it held My bank hasn't debited me yet.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by obiak4(m): 5:14am On Oct 24, 2014
careerwoman:
Please,does anyone know the cbn stop rates for this week's auction and the day it held My bank hasn't debited me yet.
hope you instructed ur bank to do that but you must have given them details such as your tenor(days)ur rate and account number to debit the principal from if u did not specify the rate then they wil offer u slight diff from cbn stop rate
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by careerwoman(f): 8:59am On Oct 24, 2014
obiak4:

hope you instructed ur bank to do that but you must have given them details such as your tenor(days)ur rate and account number to debit the principal from if u did not specify the rate then they wil offer u slight diff from cbn stop rate
Damn,I didnt specify the rate and I think what they did give is lower than expected.. please,do you know the cbn stop rate for 182 days? they've finally debited me but they charged 300 naira for transfer fees and 75 for custodian fees?? Imagine!! GTbank is crazy..
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by pappilo(m): 9:25am On Oct 24, 2014
careerwoman:

Damn,I didnt specify the rate and I think what they did give is lower than expected.. please,do you know the cbn stop rate for 182 days? they've finally debited me but they charged 300 naira for transfer fees and 75 for custodian fees?? Imagine!! GTbank is crazy..

You dont honestly expect GT to carry out the purchase on your behalf for free.

N375 is inconsequential!

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by careerwoman(f): 10:50am On Oct 24, 2014
pappilo:

You dont honestly expect GT to carry out the purchase on your behalf for free.

N375 is inconsequential!
Well, my tbills with first bank wasn't charged up to that amount. they also gave a slightly lower rate but nothing was deducted from my interest. GTB has certainly given me a lower rate than the cbn stop rate and yet they had to deduct an extra N375. All in all, first bank is better than GTB for Tbills.. GTbank is greedy and selfish. *from first hand experience*

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by obiak4(m): 2:38pm On Oct 24, 2014
the rate are not encouraging at all find attached zenith bank treasury statement at 23/10/14 @career woman pls compare with what you were offered

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by obiak4(m): 2:43pm On Oct 24, 2014
@careerwman could be due to the fact that you move ur funds that y d huge charge of 375 cos moving funds interbank z a transaction and it is charged
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by pappilo(m): 2:48pm On Oct 24, 2014
obiak4:
the rate are not encouraging at all find attached zenith bank treasury statement at 23/10/14 @career woman pls compare with what you were offered

Guy no vex but na rubbish you attach na!

Thats just the auction date schedule
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by careerwoman(f): 5:11pm On Oct 24, 2014
obiak4:
@careerwman could be due to the fact that you move ur funds that y d huge charge of 375 cos moving funds interbank z a transaction and it is charged
I did not move any money.. I have a Tbill with a maturity date in nov. with first bank. This other money has always been in my GTB account. Wait a second,do you work with GTB? You sound biased.. let's be sincere GTB isn't the best bank to do tbills. First bank is way better even though I dont think it's the best.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by obiak4(m): 5:22pm On Oct 24, 2014
careerwoman:

I did not move any money.. I have a Tbill with a maturity date in nov. with first bank. This other money has always been in my GTB account. Wait a second,do you work with GTB? You sound biased.. let's be sincere GTB isn't the best bank to do tbills. First bank is way better even though I dont think it's the best.
you are the one who sound biased here cos am not even a banker am an engineer by profession but am not practising engineering for now pls it was just an idea I expressed my 2cent don't get it twisted
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by obiak4(m): 5:25pm On Oct 24, 2014
pappilo:

Guy no vex but na rubbish you attach na!

Thats just the auction date schedule

papillocheck again d left hand corner it stated the rate and tenor as at yesterday 23/10/14
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by pappilo(m): 10:05pm On Oct 24, 2014
obiak4:

papillocheck again d left hand corner it stated the rate and tenor as at yesterday 23/10/14

Sorry jare my guy. I opened the wrong PDF.

The stop rates are in the doc you attached. That doc is really informative. Is there anyway I can be added to the mailing list. If not, can you do us a favour on here and post the doc on this thread on the day after every TB auction

Stop rates on 23/10/14 courtesy Obiak4

91 day - 9.8%
182 day - 10.2%
364 day - 11.25%

Regards
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by petikal(m): 10:05pm On Oct 24, 2014
obiak4:
the rate are not encouraging at all find attached zenith bank treasury statement at 23/10/14
Very discouraging rate, but that's been the expectation if CBN Gov. remains resolved on his strategy. Factor in the inflation rate over the year and weakening Naira, and you only have ~3.25% on a 364day tenor. Better to just wait after elections.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by princeuk21(m): 10:54pm On Oct 24, 2014
i believe after election the rate will go up
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by obiak4(m): 11:01pm On Oct 24, 2014
pappilo:

Sorry jare my guy. I opened the wrong PDF.

The stop rates are in the doc you attached. That doc is really informative. Is there anyway I can be added to the mailing list. If not, can you do us a favour on here and post the doc on this thread on the day after every TB auction

Stop rates on 23/10/14 courtesy Obiak4

91 day - 9.8%
182 day - 10.2%
364 day - 11.25%

Regards
papillo i will try my best to post if i get the info am very loyal my bro
my 2cent
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by obiak4(m): 11:04pm On Oct 24, 2014
princeuk21:
i believe after election the rate will go up
i concur with you but i de wait for them 3month to election watchout them money go plenty 4 circulation and cbn go want to mop the exces
waiting at dat junction oooo
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by FADEO: 7:21am On Oct 26, 2014
Whats the difference between money market and Tbills.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by drdams: 11:13am On Oct 26, 2014
FADEO:
Whats the difference between money market and Tbills.

Money Market is involves buying of shares, bonds , and generally primary n secondary market operations. You ll need to liase with any of the investment homes who are into mutual funds. there are of varying kinds ranging from a risk free to highly risky securities.

tbills are securities released forthnightly b fgn to mop up excess funds from d economy. its absolutely risk free abd you get your interest up front. d minimum tenor is 90days.

the stories go on n on . u av to be specific so as to get a befitting response

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by babesummy: 7:10pm On Oct 27, 2014
This topic is easily my favourite on Nairaland. I came across it while googling TB in Nigeria earlier this year. I read each page!! Thanks to all who have contributed.

5 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ummitoagirl(f): 12:42am On Oct 28, 2014
babesummy:
This topic is easily my favourite on Nairaland. I came across it while googling TB in Nigeria earlier this year. I read each page!! Thanks to all who have contributed.

I have to agree, I am alot richer since I stumbled across this thread!...Thanks to everyone that have contributed to it!...

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by deennest: 8:48am On Oct 29, 2014
ummitoagirl:

I have to agree, I am alot richer since I stumbled across this thread!...Thanks to everyone that have contributed to it!...

I'm new to this and I want to be singing this song of yours too.... It seams you know the real aspect of it now. Pls help a bro out here..
Which bank are you suggesting that wont mess the whole thing up on the long run. and any other relevant details... I'm Following you on this.

Thanks in Advance

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:55am On Oct 30, 2014
Does anyone know if this bvn (bank verification no) by CBN will affect instructions online on TB.
I cant seem to get a good response from my bank.

Good morning all
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by tolutweety(m): 10:37am On Oct 30, 2014
Chillisauce:
Does anyone know if this bvn (bank verification no) by CBN will affect instructions online on TB.

Good morning all

dont think it affects it in any way.
It is only madatory for all acct owners in all banks to do the verification (whether or not you have TBills ).
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by angelo82: 11:08am On Oct 30, 2014
Chillisauce:

Good morning all

I am watching this stupid cbn directive as well because I can't just buy ticket all because I want to go to Nigeria to do bio registration.....They said the deadline is June but I think they will have to postpone it or deactivate credit services somehow.....But don't panic because some people in Nigeria are not even aware of the crap....Time will tell.....

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:05pm On Oct 30, 2014
angelo82:

I am watching this stupid cbn directive as well because I can't just buy ticket all because I want to go to Nigeria to do bio registration.....They said the deadline is June but I think they will have to postpone it or deactivate credit services somehow.....But don't panic because some people in Nigeria are not even aware of the crap....Time will tell.....

I hope so. Every yr new rules. I wonder why they can't make things easier.
Imagine converting from dollars to Naira via written and oral request, but when its time to convert from naira to dollar, they ask you to come to their office with flight ticket etc. Very ridiculous .
tolutweety:

dont think it affects it in any way.
It is only madatory for all acct owners in all banks to do the verification (whether or not you have TBills ).

Just trying to find out if it will be required when you give orders via email, thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (61) (62) (63) (64) (65) (66) (67) ... (2227) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.