Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,339 members, 7,808,202 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:35 AM

Home Of Titans--zungeru - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Home Of Titans--zungeru (1865 Views)

Historian help!Which city was the first capital of Nigeria?Calabar,zungeru,lagos / Jonathan Revives 30 Year Old Plan To Build 700 MW Zungeru Power Plant / Jonathan To Flag Off ZUNGERU Hydro-dam Project (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Home Of Titans--zungeru by BlackPikiN(m): 6:44am On Feb 25, 2012
The first indigenous Governor General of Nigeria, Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe was born in Zungeru in 1904.

The head of the defunct Biafra, Chief Odumegwu Ojukwu was also born in Zungeru in November, 1933.

The residences of parents of the two great Nigerians have now been leveled. One can only manage to locate the sites.

If not for the proposed Zik Centre started but abandoned at a site close to his parents residence, the history of the great leader may not be traced to the town at all in future.

As for Chief Odumegwu Ojukwu, many residents of the town are familiar with the name but virtually most of them have never come across him.

Unlike Zik who last visited the town and even his birth place in 1991 during the official stone laying foundation of the Zik Centre and also on political campaigns as the president candidate of the defunct Nigeria Peoples Party (NPP), Late Ojukwu had no opportunity of living in the town at all before his parents left Zungeru back to Lagos in 1918.
Re: Home Of Titans--zungeru by BlackPikiN(m): 6:45am On Feb 25, 2012
What Ojukwu’s death mean to the people of Zungeru

Since the demise of Chief Ojukwu, many tributes and encomium have been showered on him by many Nigerians. In his birth place Zungeru, the people are yearning to see his corpse at least as a consolation for not seeing him while alive.

An elder of the town, Alhaji Sule Jebu who spoke on behalf of the Dagachin Zungeru, Alhaji Alimu Abubakar, described late Ojukwu as a courageous man and a Nigerian who has brought honour not only to Zungeru his birth place but also to Nigeria his country.

Alhaji Jebu who spoke in Hausa said, “even if most people in this town, (Zungeru) don’t know him, the fact that he was a Nigerian and given birth to in our community is enough for us to identify with him, appreciate and mourn with his family and other Nigerians.”

According to him, “the fact that he attempted to break away from Nigeria even though unsuccessful was not enough reasons why anybody should distant himself from him.

“It was an intention and ambition but not allowed by God and since he retraced his steps back home, he should be fully embraced as was done when he was alive and even in death,” the elder said.

*Ikemba Nnewi, Odumegwu Ojukwu.
Another resident of the town, Hajiya Hafusatu Abubakar said Zungeru town is proud to be the birth place to prominent Nigerians including Chief Ojukwu.

“We all witnessed the burial ceremony of late Azikiwe some years back when his corpse was brought back to this town (Zungeru) which is his birth place and as government did to Zik, we will also want the corpse of late Ojukwu to be brought to Zungeru for all of us to see it and bid final farewell to him,” the old woman remarked.

Hajiya Hafusatu explained that while the “home coming” of the corpse will afford the people of the community the opportunity to participate in the final funeral of the national leader, it will also be an eye opener to the present leaders both at the national, state and even at the local level at the total neglect of a town that not only gave birth to prominent Nigerians and international figures but also a town that once served as the capital of Northern Nigeria and the first capital of the country, Nigeria.”

A prominent researcher resident in Zungeru town, Malam Mohammed Jibrin said the father of Late Emeka Odumegwu worked with the colonial masters for several years as one of the clerks and left for Lagos in 1918 after the white men left for Kaduna in 1916.

He said even while the deceased father was working with the white men, he was also engaged in his private business and had no problem of relocating back to Lagos as a full time businessman and took along Late Emeka Ojukwu also for his education.

Malam Jibrin who took our correspondent to the relics of the family compound where Late Emeka Ojukwu was born said even though, he Emeka and his parents did not come back to Zungeru since they left the town, the fame the family has brought to the town and even Nigeria as a whole is enough for the people of the community to identify with him even in death.

“Let us not deceive ourselves, Ojukwu has played an important role in Nigeria and across. I remember him most especially with this simple quotation while alive, which says, “how can we be immigrants in our father’s land. We fought to unite and why should we fight again to disunite.”
Re: Home Of Titans--zungeru by BlackPikiN(m): 6:46am On Feb 25, 2012
Expectation by the people

Many of the residents of Zungeru interviewed spoke of their high expectations on the demise of Late Emeka Ojukwu especially as related to Zungeru his birth place.

Malam Jibrin said the only thing to do in recognition of our past heroes is to immortalize their names.

Pointing to the relics of the house where Emeka Ojukwu was born, Malam Jibrin said “that land as you see which is near the primary school could have a library erected on top of the foundation by government and named after him. If not, he will be totally forgotten and untraceable to this town in future.”

While making case for the immortalization of both Late Zik and Ojukwu, Malam Jibrin also seized the opportunity to make a clarion call to both state and federal governments to give Zungeru a facelift.

“I must tell you that there is nothing to show that Zungeru town played a prominent role in the history of this country and in the lives of individual Nigerians of repute. The feeling of the people of this town is very clear and it is that they have been totally neglected by government.

They remember that they played a vital role in the history of Nigeria because Nigeria was named at Zungeru, it was here that amalgamation took place, it served as the headquarters of the Northern Nigeria and even Nigeria as a whole among others. What is only relevant and significant here now are the relics of these colonial buildings which in an ideal situation ought to have been rebuilt and turned into a monument and tourist centre for people within and outside the country and thereby generate revenue for the state,” Malam Jibrin declared.

He said the office where the Amalgamation took place in 1914 is still there and not even renovated or transformed. He described Zungeru as a historical town that should be developed. Many Nigerians according to him don’t know how and where Nigeria got its name.

According to him, “Zungeru is the home of Nigeria but unfortunately is disowned by its own people. The British Ambassador to Nigeria had been here to inspect the relics scattered all over and went back and shortly after his departure, some people from Britain came back to Zungeru with enthusiasm to inspect the tombs of their grand parents who died during the colonial days in the town. So, you can see the role this town can play as a tourist Centre to both Nigerians and non Nigerians if properly developed.”

He then called on government at all levels to learn the simple way of honoring and immortalizing our past heroes living and dead and also pay full attention to their homes.
Re: Home Of Titans--zungeru by BlackPikiN(m): 6:46am On Feb 25, 2012
Re: Home Of Titans--zungeru by olaak1(m): 9:02am On Feb 25, 2012
Does any one hear anything 4rm General Gowon since Ojukwu died?
Re: Home Of Titans--zungeru by ProfJYK(m): 12:00pm On Feb 25, 2012
David mark was also born in that town. not too sure of he should b called a TITAN sha (@ least not yet sha).

but wait o, d 2 + 2 in d story doesn't add up. his his parents left in 1916, yet he was born in dat town in 1933 and it was also sed he left soon after he was born,,, *scratches head* somebody help, clarifications please
Re: Home Of Titans--zungeru by Nobody: 12:00am On Feb 26, 2012
Another similarity between Zik and Ojukwu is, both of them speak Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba fluently.
Re: Home Of Titans--zungeru by igbaodun: 12:19am On Feb 26, 2012
Jarus:

Another similarity between Zik and [size=18pt]Ojukwu is, both [/size]of them speak Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba fluently.

That is a comma splice. Most of your published articles are ridden with third grade errors. You need to improve on your writing skills; honest truth from someone who cares.
Re: Home Of Titans--zungeru by Nobody: 1:08am On Feb 26, 2012
When you can write an article good enough for publication, you can come back.
Re: Home Of Titans--zungeru by Nobody: 1:18am On Feb 26, 2012
Jarus:

When you can write an article good enough for publication, you can come back.

Your response to that fool is a very educative one. Someone said that the best defense strategy for loosers is to divert the topic to something meaningless like grammar.
Re: Home Of Titans--zungeru by Nobody: 1:18am On Feb 26, 2012
And when I say publication, I don't mean in popular side(letters to the editor), I mean full page article or those worthy of 'Guest columnist' status.

I may not be immune from errors(and no one is) but I know my quality. It's not arrogance, it's confidence.

To call my articles riddled with 'third grade errors' is height of ignorance, if not jealousy.

Only few of my mates can write better in this generation of Nigerians. Even professional journalists with trainings in writing(unlike me) will do better. And I have seen many editors confess to that.

Or you wanna enter for a writing challenge?
Re: Home Of Titans--zungeru by Nobody: 1:20am On Feb 26, 2012
Even professional journalists with trainings in writing(unlike me) can hardly do better.
Re: Home Of Titans--zungeru by dayokanu(m): 2:51am On Feb 26, 2012
Jarus don vex, we would need palm oil to calm him down ooi
Re: Home Of Titans--zungeru by Kilode1: 2:57am On Feb 26, 2012
LOL @Jarus trumpeting his writing skills in multiple posts   grin

That Warrior guy no go kill dem for NL  grin
Re: Home Of Titans--zungeru by Nobody: 7:17am On Feb 26, 2012
Jarus:

And when I say publication, I don't mean in popular side(letters to the editor), I mean full page article or those worthy of 'Guest columnist' status.

I may not be immune from errors(and no one is) but I know my quality. It's not arrogance, it's confidence.

To call my articles riddled with 'third grade errors' is height of ignorance, if not jealousy.

Only few of my mates can write better in this generation of Nigerians. Even professional journalists with trainings in writing(unlike me) will do better. And I have seen many editors confess to that.

Ako e ti poju.O fi jo mi ni sha. grin
Re: Home Of Titans--zungeru by Nobody: 9:28am On Feb 26, 2012
Jars. . .why you dey allow your hairs to raise like this early morning. Let go jare. You are suppose to be like a fertiliser on this forum. Easy.
Re: Home Of Titans--zungeru by Nobody: 10:13am On Feb 26, 2012
When what you consider your greatest asset is attacked, then off your cloth and fight grin
Re: Home Of Titans--zungeru by igbaodun: 4:06pm On Feb 26, 2012
Jarus:

Well said, local champion!  For someone who has never had the opportunity to publish in a reputable Newspaper  let me point out that you have no idea what it takes to write well and persuade people. Your shabbily written articles are a disgrace to every college educated Nigerian. Whats worse is that you actually graduated with distinction from OAU, our very own Harvard. ***Shrugs*** Anyone with half a brain can publish anything in any Nigerian newspaper.  Heck, My HS buddy, another OAU grad, just published an article in some major Nigerian newspapers; suffice to say, the quality, like what is obtainable in your articles, left much to be desired. TBH, you are not fit to publish in my college newspaper, let alone become a guest columnist in any reputable newspaper where I live. But I know, in the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

I am being honest with you here. You need to work on your writing skills. Its atrocious! The saddest thing is you don't know any better, that's why you seem to be taking my benign and very constructive criticism personal.
Re: Home Of Titans--zungeru by udezue(m): 4:23pm On Feb 26, 2012
So now they are using the death of Ojukwu to see if they can attract money and tourism to their poverty stricken town. I never even knew of its existence. If Ojukwu or Zik were present in that town during the pogron I'm sure they woulda been killed so who are they deceiving? Typical Hausa parasites. Mchew
Re: Home Of Titans--zungeru by Nobody: 4:48pm On Feb 26, 2012
igbaodun:

Well said, local champion!  For someone who has never had the opportunity to publish in a reputable Newspaper  let me point out that you have no idea what it takes to write well and persuade people. Your shabbily written articles are a disgrace to every college educated Nigerian. Whats worse is that you actually graduated with distinction from OAU, our very own Harvard. ***Shrugs*** Anyone with half a brain can publish anything in any Nigerian newspaper.  Heck, My HS buddy, another OAU grad, just published an article in some major Nigerian newspapers; suffice to say, the quality, like what is obtainable in your articles, left much to be desired. TBH, you are not fit to publish in my college newspaper, let alone become a guest columnist in any reputable newspaper where I live. But I know, in the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

I am being honest with you here. You need to work on your writing skills. Its atrocious! The saddest thing is you don't know any better, that's why you seem to be taking my benign and very constructive criticism personal.

I have thrown a challenge at you? Take it and let's go into a writing competition. i can invite Prof Pius Adesanmi or Dr Farooq Kperoogi or any other respected English teacher of your choice as judge.

Take the challenge, young man.
Re: Home Of Titans--zungeru by igbaodun: 4:52pm On Feb 26, 2012
Jarus:

[size=18pt]I have thrown a challenge at you[/size]? [size=18pt][s]Take it and let's go into a writing competition[/s][/size]. [size=18pt]i[/size] can invite [size=18pt]Prof[/size] Pius Adesanmi or [size=18pt]Dr[/size] Farooq Kperoogi or any other respected English teacher of your choice as judge.

Challenge at or to me?  Make I no embarrass you any further Jarus.lol

I have no respect for Pius. I don't even read his crap. If you can get Kperoogi on board, I am downnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.

lol. Local Champion from Offa.  Jarus no mind me jor, you are  doing just fine playing ping pong at work.

PS: On a more serious note Mr. Suraj, did you take a writing class at Ife before you graduated? I seriously doubt it.
Re: Home Of Titans--zungeru by AndreUweh(m): 4:54pm On Feb 26, 2012
Jarus:

I have thrown a challenge at you? Take it and let's go into a writing competition. i can invite Prof Pius Adesanmi or Dr Farooq Kperoogi or any other respected English teacher of your choice as judge.

No need for that. Jarus, I have read a lot of your work at the NVS and elsewhere. You are good writer and by far better than the chap. Please, take it easy. A lot of nairalanders here could be like that.
Re: Home Of Titans--zungeru by igbaodun: 4:55pm On Feb 26, 2012
Andre Uweh:

[size=18pt]No need for that[/size]. Jarus, I have read a lot of your work at the NVS and elsewhere. You are good writer and by far better than the chap. Please, take it easy. A lot of nairalanders here could be like that.

What a fine cop out! lol
Re: Home Of Titans--zungeru by igbaodun: 5:28pm On Feb 26, 2012
donedy:

Your response to that fool is a very educative one. Someone said that the best defense strategy for[size=18pt] loosers[/size] is to divert the topic to something meaningless like grammar.

You mean losers like you? lol

If you want to write well, you need to lose that your ugly Yoruba accent. Olodo oshi

Loooser ko, okun sokoto ni. Ara oko.
Re: Home Of Titans--zungeru by Jisunpack: 5:31pm On Feb 26, 2012
^
Fstranger is that you? shocked shocked
Re: Home Of Titans--zungeru by 9javoice1(m): 6:04pm On Feb 26, 2012
the date is typing error.
Re: Home Of Titans--zungeru by Nobody: 6:35pm On Feb 26, 2012
I don't accept FB friend requests from Nairalanders, except very few ones. But based on your last comment(on ping pong), I can see you have access to me FB wall, probably having accepted your request in the past. Or perhaps you're one of those with multiple IDs.

I will get Farooq.

Andre,
No mind the guy. For someone who doesn't know the spelling of 'comma' (one of the very first things you will be taught in English Grammar classes in elementary school), you begin to wonder what grade of error his articles, if he ever write one, will be riddled with. And this is the person I will be engaging in writing contest.

I suspect he is fstranger, the guy that couldn't get admission into Ife and easily resorts to Ife(my alma mater) anytime he wants to attack me.
Re: Home Of Titans--zungeru by DuduNegro: 6:45pm On Feb 26, 2012
Igbaodun,

Jarus has his contact information on his profile page and you could have contacted him and give the advise privately. He will be more open and grateful to you for helping with his improvement.  By hitting him publicly as you did, you ended up bringing unecessary attention to yourself and loosing public respect in the course of that.

For someone whose mother tongue is not English, anyone that can write as excellently well as Jarus does is worth emulating.  Word smithing is an art!  Not everyone is an artist in that respect. . . .and even artists who take writing as a career improve dynamically with age and time.  

Recognition should be given publicly, criticism should be reserved for privacy.   wink
Re: Home Of Titans--zungeru by Jisunpack: 6:57pm On Feb 26, 2012
^
You wouldn't want to start with the guy if truely he is Fstranger.
Re: Home Of Titans--zungeru by Nobody: 8:21pm On Feb 26, 2012
Why is jarus even replying the guy ? I just tire for nl even person wey no fit afford 3 square meal go talk to you anyhow.nonsense
Re: Home Of Titans--zungeru by Nobody: 9:12pm On Feb 26, 2012
igbaodun:

You mean losers like you? lol

If you want to write well, you need to lose that your ugly Yoruba accent. Olodo oshi

Loooser ko, okun sokoto ni. Ara oko.

you just come here dey form boss. you don chop since? wetin dey make you para? abi your girlfriend don dump you or your anoda paddy don yansh your wifey? come watch your mouth oh or we go use you take wipe floor until you grow monkey yansh. odonyo!

Ok edit this you dumbass!
Re: Home Of Titans--zungeru by ekwynwa1: 9:35pm On Feb 26, 2012
see English language teacher shocked shocked shocked

Creative writing 101 tongue tongue tongue

(1) (2) (Reply)

2 Nigerian House Maids Fight Over Indian Lover / Breaking News! Okorocha Sacks Entire Exco / Ekiti Youths Time To Vote Fayemi OUT!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.