Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,449 members, 7,770,106 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 03:42 AM

Dramatic Twist As Ibori, London Police Reach Plea Bargain Pact - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Dramatic Twist As Ibori, London Police Reach Plea Bargain Pact (5210 Views)

Finally! Alison-madueke Honours London Police Invitation. / Stolen Funds: No Plea Bargain — FG / Ibori: London Court Ends Trial In Drama Over Lack Of Evidence (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dramatic Twist As Ibori, London Police Reach Plea Bargain Pact by PHIPEX(m): 5:31pm On Feb 26, 2012
Has the world lost the fight against curruption or are the criminals getting more sophisticated? I used to think that plea bargain is an EFCC's tool when they are too lazy to do their job until I read this.

Dramatic twist as Ibori, London Police reach plea bargain pact
By Our Reporter 17 hours 24 minutes ago
Font size: Decrease font Enlarge font
James Ibori James Ibori

The long-drawn corruption trial of the immediate past governor of Delta State, Chief James Ibori in London may be resolved through plea bargain.

Unless there is a change of heart by either the London Metropolitan Police or Ibori, the agreement may be concluded over the next 24hours.

It was gathered last night that all that is now left the vetting of the plea bargain agreement.

A source close to the deal said: "Apart from the basic fact that such a thing will only come into being through a court proceeding, one would be right to say the plea bargain between Ibori and the London Metropolitan Police is already a done deal. It has been discussed, agreed upon, the terms already settled; all that remains is a court pronouncement. "

According to the source, the seven years of the investigation and trial of Ibori has taken a heavy toll on both the prosecution and the accused.

The police investigation, involving extensive travelling round the globe, is said to have cost the British tax payer over £14 million and is bound to cost more should the trial last the whole hog.

Ibori himself, sources said, is beginning to show signs of fatigue – as he has been attempting to fight off multiple suits at the same time – in Nigeria, Dubai and now Britain, both for himself and some of his associates.

The legal fees are said to be outrageous for him.

The Federal High Court Asaba, had ruled that the EFCC case filed there lacked any evidence – and they had nothing beyond what EFCC fed them.

Ibori was said to have been at first opposed the plea bargain option but his lawyers told him that the British jurisdiction had changed considerably since the war on terrorism began.

In more advanced criminal justice systems like the US, UK and Japan, plea bargain enjoys a prominent role. Its use is actively sought by the parties more directly involved in criminal trials. These are the Courts, the Prosecution and the Defence as it brings a quick end to a trial –cutting out unnecessary delays and prohibitive costs.

It is also a quick way for the courts to dispose of cases, which could otherwise have been very long drawn, time consuming and with potential for erroneous judgements. For the prosecution, plea bargaining gives them the opportunity of securing convictions particularly in instances where a conviction is highly desired, yet the outcome of a full trial is unpredictable or tricky. "

This may have influenced Ibori to end lingering court defences across three continents.

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news/37916-dramatic-twist-as-ibori-london-police-reach-plea-bargain-pact.html
Re: Dramatic Twist As Ibori, London Police Reach Plea Bargain Pact by djustice: 11:45pm On Feb 26, 2012
Considering that this is coming from The Nation, and no other newspaper, it is safe to say that this is Bola Tinubu's way of flying a plea bargain kite for himself, as the noose appears to be tightening, with the imminent trial of his favourite member of the judiciary, Justice Isa Ayo Salami, which it seems, may yield some potentially risky information about the Bourdillon god.

Is it also possible that two things chased the ailing god back to Nigeria from Britain? The first would be the Salamigate saga, and the second is likely to be the imminent jailing of Ibori for corruption relating to the Econet deal, in which Tinubu and Attah of Akwa Ibom participated quite profitably.
Re: Dramatic Twist As Ibori, London Police Reach Plea Bargain Pact by Jisunpack: 12:06am On Feb 27, 2012
^
You indeed is a big fool to think we don't know your real Id and who you are representing on this forum.

All your diversionary tactics wont take away the fact that GEJ is directly involved with releasing Ibori. We all know when they cut the deal, thesame way he wanted to blackmail south Africa with MTN and their other assests, should they release Henry Okar. Keep fooling yourself.

. . .or you thought some of us bought into your Lekki toll gate brouhaha and other lies you are peddling, claiming to be from Lagos? Nonsense!
Re: Dramatic Twist As Ibori, London Police Reach Plea Bargain Pact by Lasinoh: 12:13am On Feb 27, 2012
Better for you!
Abeg come out darling make we throw heavy party for you! kiss
Then enjoy your loot like awon Tinubu dem! cry
I miss those Ogharra parties I tellya.
10 years or whatever, we shall welcome you with honour!
You are no worse than Jonathan himself!
Take heart darling!

Mwaaaaaah!!!! kiss
Re: Dramatic Twist As Ibori, London Police Reach Plea Bargain Pact by moremi2008(m): 8:55am On Feb 27, 2012
Ibori is an aspiring war lord. The British would be foolish to let him go. I strongly suspect some serious money has passed from certain Swiss bank accounts into Jonathan's hands. That's the only thing that can explain this madness! Jonathan, we see you for who you are! A bloody criminal thief, thief with an Aba-made PhD!
Re: Dramatic Twist As Ibori, London Police Reach Plea Bargain Pact by victorazy(m): 9:19am On Feb 27, 2012
Ibori could be good dou. We have more criminals here parading in the high places with no confrontation. Ibori may not be dat bad, so benevolent bcuz I remembered the very night he called me before his arrest in Dubai.
Re: Dramatic Twist As Ibori, London Police Reach Plea Bargain Pact by bakila: 9:37am On Feb 27, 2012
Next. One down ten thousand responsible, honourable, elder and big criminals in goverment to go.
Re: Dramatic Twist As Ibori, London Police Reach Plea Bargain Pact by denitro(m): 9:44am On Feb 27, 2012
Ibori will definitely serve some jail time,
What is the dramatic twist there?

He will plead quilty to a lesser charge and that will definitely attract jail time for sure
Re: Dramatic Twist As Ibori, London Police Reach Plea Bargain Pact by oddy4real(m): 10:07am On Feb 27, 2012
moremi2008:

Ibori is an aspiring war lord. The British would be foolish to let him go. I strongly suspect some serious money has passed from certain Swiss bank accounts into Jonathan's hands. That's the only thing that can explain this madness! Jonathan, we see you for who you are! A bloody criminal thief, thief with an Aba-made PhD!
Read what you posted all over again and ask yourself if u made sense
Re: Dramatic Twist As Ibori, London Police Reach Plea Bargain Pact by DTutu1: 10:26am On Feb 27, 2012
Trust our colo masters to aways come come up with abracadabra any time we need fairness. Also trust them to gain from the deal.
Re: Dramatic Twist As Ibori, London Police Reach Plea Bargain Pact by stexjex: 10:54am On Feb 27, 2012
Ibori is still d best tin that has ever happened to delta state , pple keep talking bout corruption corruption! Mtchhheeeeeeew na today corruption dey naija ?its an history but it has been wit rulers that can still hear d voice of pple not kabals.leaders who r strong not weak,leaders wit lil sense of humor not GEJ.delta state didn't value wat they had until they had lost it, or is Ibori d only governor that is corrupt if so let him rot in d prison but if not they §☺ let him go , cos Ibori truly understand wat national cake is all bout nd U̶̲̥̅̊ knw wat i mean, we wud welcome him like a̶̲̥̅ hero if released cos he his our hero, we'll be waiting for u our odidigboyigbo 1 of delta , missed U̶̲̥̅̊ §☺ much ,
Re: Dramatic Twist As Ibori, London Police Reach Plea Bargain Pact by Nobody: 11:13am On Feb 27, 2012
stexjex:

Ibori is still d best tin that has ever happened to delta state , pple keep talking bout corruption corruption! Mtchhheeeeeeew na today corruption dey naija ?its an history but it has been wit rulers that can still hear d voice of pple not kabals.leaders who r strong not weak,leaders wit lil sense of humor not GEJ.delta state didn't value wat they had until they had lost it, or is Ibori d only governor that is corrupt if so let him rot in d prison but if not they §☺ let him go , cos Ibori truly understand wat national cake is all bout nd U̶̲̥̅̊ knw wat i mean, we wud welcome him like a̶̲̥̅ hero if released cos he his our hero, we'll be waiting for u our odidigboyigbo 1 of delta , missed U̶̲̥̅̊ §☺ much ,
Chai, see leaders of tomorrow! So we should allow corruption because he is not he only corrupt ex-governor?
Re: Dramatic Twist As Ibori, London Police Reach Plea Bargain Pact by moremi2008(m): 11:25am On Feb 27, 2012
oddy4real:

Read what you posted all over again and ask yourself if u made sense

You seem VERY upset! Is Ibori your daddy? Or are you another one of his bastard children? Tell us! Let us know why you're really hurting!  grin
Re: Dramatic Twist As Ibori, London Police Reach Plea Bargain Pact by LEXYLOV: 11:56am On Feb 27, 2012
I hope the British don't want to compromise with this high thief, or did they have interest in that stolen billions. Though EFCC is powerless under Jonathan and a thief cannot catch a thief lets see the drama goes from here. angry
Re: Dramatic Twist As Ibori, London Police Reach Plea Bargain Pact by eros(m): 12:12pm On Feb 27, 2012
Only Nigerians can pull stunt like this. When the plea bargain is made official. Ibori a common thief and scum of the earth will receive a hero's welcome when he arrives Nigeria and before you say Jack, RETARDEEN he will honor him with a post in his government. angry angry angry angry angry

Oh my Nigeria!!! My Nigeria!!! When shall thou be delivered from them that ra.pe and bleed you dry cry cry cry cry
Re: Dramatic Twist As Ibori, London Police Reach Plea Bargain Pact by burkutu: 4:05pm On Feb 27, 2012
Ibori is going to jail. Plea bargain means u agree u commited a crime,like stealing lots of money from delta state,in exchange for leniency during sentencing. Again,ibori is gonna end up in jail

(1) (Reply)

Unknown Drone Crashes In Ibadan (Picture) / "8 Real Reasons Why 2015 Election Was Postponed" - Political Strategist / I Warned Jonathan In 2015; 2019, I Am Warning Nigerians Of A Coup.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.