Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,428 members, 7,808,528 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:03 PM

Secret £14million Bible In Which 'jesus Predicts Coming Of Prophet Muhammad - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Secret £14million Bible In Which 'jesus Predicts Coming Of Prophet Muhammad (38559 Views)

The World Will End Tomorrow - Christian Group Predicts / Secret £14million Bible In Which 'jesus Predicts Coming Of Prophet Muhammad' Une / So Which Jesus Was Crucified? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Secret £14million Bible In Which 'jesus Predicts Coming Of Prophet Muhammad by aribisala0(m): 10:54pm On Feb 27, 2012
From a neutral perspective both books are fiction and full of many contradictions!!

do not take my word for it Grab a copy of the bible and google contradictions in the Bible there are dozens

Oh do I hear you say you cannot read the bible with a logical mind ? I thought so too myself
Re: Secret £14million Bible In Which 'jesus Predicts Coming Of Prophet Muhammad by NnaNna4(m): 11:01pm On Feb 27, 2012
why google contradictions?

Rather i will google TRUTH/REALITY ABOUT THE BIBLE
Re: Secret £14million Bible In Which 'jesus Predicts Coming Of Prophet Muhammad by NnaNna4(m): 11:04pm On Feb 27, 2012
why google contradictions?

Rather i will google TRUTH/REALITY ABOUT THE BIBLE

but one thing you are correct , u cant read the bible with a logical mind.it wasnt written by a logical mind. you have to be spiritual because the LETTER KILLETH but the SPIRIT gives life
Re: Secret £14million Bible In Which 'jesus Predicts Coming Of Prophet Muhammad by aribisala0(m): 11:06pm On Feb 27, 2012
My point is there is no one way to God as Chritians and Muslims claim your bible and quran are NOT without error/inconsistency.

Why should I give up African ways and follow youse
Re: Secret £14million Bible In Which 'jesus Predicts Coming Of Prophet Muhammad by aribisala0(m): 11:07pm On Feb 27, 2012
it was written by an irrational mind filled with Greek wine
Re: Secret £14million Bible In Which 'jesus Predicts Coming Of Prophet Muhammad by tunnytox(m): 11:09pm On Feb 27, 2012
much ado about nothing, why should muslims be so excited about muhammad's name being in this 'gospel'?
Re: Secret £14million Bible In Which 'jesus Predicts Coming Of Prophet Muhammad by tiarabubu: 11:12pm On Feb 27, 2012
I thought the Koran was
LagosShia:

Wallahi,if i were a christian,i would be ashame to read all the comments here on this thread which are a mixture of lies,ignorance and blind religious zeal.

for God's sake,many keep saying the found artifact was written in "ARABIC".obviously,they dont know the difference between ARABIC and ARAMAIC,that is the language Jesus spoke in.

just in case the christians here are too scared and $hitting literally in their pants,let me help restate the points that are of interest in this find:

1.) the find is dated before the birth of the Prophet Muhammad (sa).so it could not have been muslims who "forged" it.

2.) the book is written in ARAMAIC and not arabic.

3.) the book is found in Turkey.and for those doubting the location of Turkey,they should know that the word "christian" was first uttered in Antioch which is in modern day Turkey.

4.) other copies of the "gospel of barnabas" attributed as "muslim forgery" by christians denying what Jesus predicted found elsewhere are not as ancient as this new found.

so dear christians,deal with the reality and swallow your arrogance and fanaticism.
[/b]

thats hardly the crux of the matter.

This find only confirms the existence of the heretical "gospels'" (who were disowned by early church fathers and found their way round middle east)  from where Islam got its miracle stories of Jesus talking at birth and making clay doves come to life!

Indeed I expect it would prove that the funny stories of Jesus and Solomon listening to ants were around BEFORE Prophet Mohammed was born and were common knowledge. So the defence by some that the Prophet Mohammed couldnt have possibly HEARD these heretical stories since they were around after his revelation will fall flat on its face
Re: Secret £14million Bible In Which 'jesus Predicts Coming Of Prophet Muhammad by delpee(f): 11:14pm On Feb 27, 2012
I once heard an argument about Jesus prediction of the coming of the Holy Spirit (comforter) being regarded as the coming of Prophet Muhammed. Now hes said to have mentioned him in name years after they are both gone!

BTW how come Muslims acknowledge the fact that Christ is coming back if hes an ordinary man like us? All these unnecessary arguments tire me. People should worship as they please and leave others to their beliefs. Its a free world afterall and each man will render account on his own life.

@Nn-a-Nn-a
Well done! Your research and analysis is very enlightening.
Re: Secret £14million Bible In Which 'jesus Predicts Coming Of Prophet Muhammad by olasesi(m): 11:15pm On Feb 27, 2012
Francis Diote:

If Jesus was not the messiah, how can he predict the coming of a messiah who will contradict his teachings.

CONTRADICTS HIS TEACHINGS?

“If I testify on my own behalf, my testimony is valid (John 8:14)
“If I testify about myself, my testimony is not valid. (John 5:31)

In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven. (Matthew 5:16)
TAKE CARE not to do your good deeds publicly or before men, in order to be seen by them; otherwise you will have no reward reserved for and awaiting you] with and from your Father Who is in heaven. (Matthew 6:1, Amplified Bible)

He answered, "A wicked and adulterous generation asks for a miraculous sign! But none will be given it except the sign of the prophet Jonah. (Matthew 12:39)
He sighed deeply and said, "Why does this generation ask for a miraculous sign? I tell you the truth, no sign will be given to it." (Mark 8:12)

Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. (John 13:34)
"If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters—yes, even his own life—he cannot be my disciple. (Luke 14:26)

Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. (John 14:27)
Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. (Matthew 10:34)

But I tell you that anyone who is angry with his brother will be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to his brother, 'Raca, is answerable to the Sanhedrin. But anyone who says, 'You fool!' will be in danger of the fire of hell. (Matthew 5:22)
You blind fools! Which is greater: the gold, or the temple that makes the gold sacred? (Matthew 23:17)

DONT BLAME MUHAMMED IF HIS TEACHINGS CONTRADICT JESUS'
Francis Diote:

Jesus was gentle,
why do u potray jesus as if he was such a great man of peace and tolerance?

“Do not think that I came to bring PEACE on Earth; I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I came to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; and a man’s enemies will be the members of his household. He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me; and he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me. And he who does not take his cross and follow Me is not worthy of Me. He who has found his life will lose it, and he who has lost his life for My sake will find it.” (Matthew 10:34-39 NASB)

49 I have come to cast fire upon the Earth; and how I wish it were already kindled! 50 But I have a baptism* to undergo, and how distressed I am until it is accomplished! 51 Do you suppose that I came to grant peace on earth? I tell you, no, but rather division; 52 for from now on five members in one household will be divided, three against two and two against three. 53 They will be divided, father* against son and son against father, mother against daughter and daughter against mother, mother-in-law against daughter-in-law and daughter-in-law against mother-in-law. (Luke 12:49-53)

“If anyone comes to Me, and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be My disciple.” (Luke 14:26)

“But now, whoever has a money belt is to take it along, likewise also a bag, and whoever has no SWORD is to sell his coat and buy one.” (Luke 22:36 NASB)

Matthew 21:12-13 (New American Standard Bible)
12 And Jesus entered the temple and drove out all those who were buying and selling in the temple, and overturned the tables of the money changers and the seats of those who were selling doves.

New Living Translation (©2007)(matthew 21:19)
and he noticed a fig tree beside the road. He went over to see if there were any figs, but there were only leaves. Then he said to it, "May you never bear fruit again!" And immediately the fig tree withered up.

Matthew 15:22-26

New American Standard Bible (NASB)

22 And a Canaanite woman from that region came out and began to cry out, saying, “Have mercy on me, Lord, Son of David; my daughter is cruelly demon-possessed.” 23 But He did not answer her a word. And His disciples came and implored Him, saying, “Send her away, because she keeps shouting [a]at us.” 24 But He answered and said, “I was sent only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.” 25 But she came and began [b]to bow down before Him, saying, “Lord, help me!” 26 And He answered and said, “It is not [c]good to take the children’s bread and throw it to the dogs.”

You blind FOOLS! Which is greater: the gold, or the temple that makes the gold sacred? (Matthew 23:17)

Francis Diote:

he preached abt 1 man 1 wife,
JESUS is the true messiah because he preached 1 man 1 wife
and MUHAMMED is the false messiah because he preached 1man many wives.
WHAT A FUNNY CRITERIA?
Re: Secret £14million Bible In Which 'jesus Predicts Coming Of Prophet Muhammad by azezola(m): 11:17pm On Feb 27, 2012
I sense jealousy from the christianLaying All Over the Place'
.The religion of child molesters,read this christian terrorism tht happens in America every Day,ur time is up men ALLAHU AKBAR.
Re: Secret £14million Bible In Which 'jesus Predicts Coming Of Prophet Muhammad by Nobody: 11:18pm On Feb 27, 2012
Not to denigrate anyone but I've come to find out that Nigerian (nay Black) Christians are the most Ignorant when it comes to their religion. They do not know its history nor do they know its origin. Compare how a Muslim, Buddhist, Jew or Hindu knows his/her religion in and out and you'll realize that majority of Christians do no have the slightest idea about their religion. Many still dont know Jesus was a Jew. Nor do they know that he wasnt a white man. A lot (as evidenced by the responses on this thread) dont even know what language their "Savior" spoke. A good 99% probably dont even know that Jesus was not Christian!

How many know that Jesus did not have a single input in what is in the Bible today? How many know that it was mostly "written" by the followers of his followers (sometimes 100s of years after Jesus was said to have been crucified)? So, if you accept translations of those kind of writings into the Bible, and use it as a guidance in your faith, why now cast doubt on this book just because it was written time after Jesus was killed?

How many of you know that Jews dont even "count" Christianity as a Religion and that If Jesus came back today and started proclaiming himself Messiah, they would gladly crucify him again without any remorse? You think its a coincidence that since Mel Gibson released The Passion of The Christ (which Jews vehemently Opposed) his career has been shattered?

How many Christians know the history of the Bible? How many know how it was compiled? How many even know that Christianity was a ploy with which the White man used to enslave the Black man, drag him across oceans to work on plantations like a horse only to turn around and use Bible passages to justify their cruel and inhumane act?

Open your eyes black man; youve been fo*olish for too long. You abandoned the ways of your fathers and have picked that up which is meant to worship the main aspects of vanity and waste of this world. How many of you go to churches where the Pastor doesnt have a Bentley or Mercedes Benz? How many of you dont admire your preachers that fly around in Private Jets? How many of you dont know that your preacher lives lavish off your donations while trying to convince you that your reward is in heaven---or here on earth--- if you let him (Preacher) pray hard enough for you and forward your concerns to the Almighty only if you pay a huge donation, of course?

How many of your preachers doesnt have a $25,000 Rolex? How many of you can afford that? Dont be fo.olish and ignorant learn your history. Knowledge is power. Read. For those of you doubting this document just because it doesnt conform with the beliefs which youre used to, I say : "Stop being lazy and SEEK". First and foremost, go and find out how the Bible was compiled so you have an idea what youre speaking of. Always read everything with an open mind. Approach issues without casting judgement, especially when you havent fairly reviewed the facts presented or rationally/logically viewed every angle (of the claims being forwarded).

For all of you whom I described above, I leave you (in my next post) with another Gospel that didnt make its way into the final compilation of the Bible because it doesnt submit to the intentions of the original Pagan Roman Rulers who intended to use Christianity as a means to control their populace and conquered territories---- This Gospel hasnt been proven to the fake.

Open your mind and read. Seek Knowledge. The worst of men is he who thinks he knows but really doesnt. Universally, such a person is called a mor.on or a blathering buffoon. Dont be a moro>n or a blathering buffoon.
Re: Secret £14million Bible In Which 'jesus Predicts Coming Of Prophet Muhammad by Nobody: 11:19pm On Feb 27, 2012
Gospel of Judas

First page of the Gospel of Judas (Page 33 of Codex Tchacos)

The Gospel of Judas is a Gnostic gospel whose content consists of conversations between the Disciple Judas Iscariot and Jesus Christ.

It is believed to have been written by Gnostic followers of Jesus, rather than by Judas himself, and probably dates from no earlier than the 2nd century, since it contains late 2nd century theology. In 180 A.D., Irenaeus, the Bishop of Lyons, wrote a document in which he railed against this gospel, indicating the book was already in circulation. The only copy of the Gospel of Judas known to exist is a Coptic language text that has been carbon dated to AD 280, plus or minus 60 years. It has been suggested that the text derives from an earlier Greek version. A translation of the text was first published in early 2006 by the National Geographic Society.

In contrast to the canonical gospels which paint Judas as a betrayer of Christ who delivered him up to the authorities for crucifixion, the Gospel of Judas portrays Judas's actions as done in obedience to instructions given by Christ. The document also suggests that Christ planned the course of events which led to his death. This portrayal seems to conform to a notion current in some forms of Gnosticism, that the human form is a spiritual prison, that Judas thus served Christ by helping to release Christ's soul from its physical constraints, and that two kinds of human beings exist: the men furnished with the immortal soul which is "from the eternal realms" and "will abide there always" ("the strong and holy generation, with no ruler over it", to whom Judas belongs), and the other ones, the majority of mankind, who are mortal and therefore unable to reach the salvation. The Gospel of Judas does not claim that the other disciples knew about Jesus's true teachings. On the contrary, it asserts that they had not learned the true Gospel, which Jesus taught only to Judas Iscariot, the sole follower belonging to the "holy generation" among the disciples.

A leather-bound Coptic language papyrus document that surfaced during the 1970s, near Beni Masah, Egypt,[1] was named the Codex Tchacos after an antiquities dealer, Frieda Nussberger-Tchacos, who became concerned about the deteriorating condition of the manuscript. First translated in the early 2000s, the codex contains text that appears to be from the late 2nd century AD,[2] and includes the self-titled "Gospel of Judas" (Euangelion Ioudas)[3] which claims to be the story of Jesus's death from the viewpoint of Judas.
The manuscript was radiocarbon dated "between the third and fourth century", according to Timothy Jull, a carbon-dating expert at the University of Arizona's physics center,[4] and described by the National Geographic as being from AD 280, plus or minus 60 years.

Today the manuscript is in over a thousand pieces, with many sections missing due to poor handling and storage. Some passages are only scattered words; others contain many lines. According to Rodolphe Kasser, the codex originally contained 31 pages, with writing on both sides; however, when it came to the market in 1999, only 13 pages remained. It is speculated that individual pages had been removed and sold.

It has been speculated, on the basis of textual analysis concerning features of dialect and Greek loan words, that the Coptic text contained in the codex may be a translation from an older Greek manuscript dating, at the earliest, to approximately AD 130–180.[5] Cited in support is the reference to a “Gospel of Judas” by the early Christian writer Irenaeus of Lyons, who, in arguing against Gnosticism, called the text a "fictitious history".[6] However, it is uncertain whether the text mentioned by Irenaeus is in fact the same text as the Coptic “Gospel of Judas” found in the Codex Tchachos.[7]

A. J. Levine, who was on the team of scholars responsible for unveiling the work, said that the Gospel of Judas contains no new historical information concerning Jesus or Judas, but that the text is helpful in reconstructing the history of Gnosticism, especially in the Coptic-speaking areas.[7]
[edit]Content

[edit]Overview
The Gospel of Judas consists of 16 chapters which document Jesus's teaching about spiritual matters and cosmology. Judas is the hero of this Gospel and the only one of Jesus's disciples who accurately understands the words of his master. This Gospel contains few narrative elements; essentially, the Gospel records how Judas was taught by Jesus the true meaning of his message, and was then stoned to death by the other disciples.

The Gospel contains ideas which contradicted those circulating in the early Christian church. The author argues that God is essentially "luminous cloud of light" who exists in an imperishable realm.[8] Adamas, the spiritual father of all humanity, was created in God's image and dwelled in the imperishable realm.

At the beginning of time, God created a group of angels and lower gods, who in turn created the physical universe. These lower angels of creation were themselves imperfect beings and so the world was an imperfect creation, full of pain and suffering. They are petty and demand sacrifice from humanity.

The angels of creation were tasked with creating a physical body for Adamas, which became known as the first man Adam. Gradually, humanity began to forget its divine origins and some of Adam's descendants (Cain and Abel) became embroiled in the world's first murder. Many humans came to think that the imperfect physical universe was the totality of creation, losing their knowledge of God and the imperishable realm.

Jesus was sent as the Son of the true God, not of one of the lesser gods. His mission was to show that salvation lies in connecting with the God within the man. Through embracing the internal God, the man can return to the imperishable realm.
Eleven of the disciples Jesus chose to spread his message misunderstood the central tenets of His teaching. They were obsessed with the physical world of the senses. They continued to practise religious animal sacrifice, which pleased the lower gods but did not help to foster a connection with the true God. They wrongly taught that those martyred in the name of Christ would be bodily resurrected.

In contrast, Jesus is able to teach Judas the true meaning of his life, ministry and death. Mankind can be divided into two races, or groups. Those who are furnished with the immortal soul, like Judas, can come to know the God within and enter the imperishable realm when they die. Those who belong to the same generation of the other eleven disciples cannot enter the realm of God and will die both spiritually and physically at the end of their lives. As practises that are intertwined with the physical world, animal sacrifice and a communion ceremony centered around cannibalism (the symbolic consumption of Jesus' flesh and blood) are condemned as abhorrent. Death is seen not as a glorious event but simply as a way to escape the perishable realm of the flesh.

Of crucial importance is the author's understanding of Jesus' death. The other Gospels argue that Jesus had to die in order to atone for the sins of humanity. The author of Judas claims this sort of substitutionary justice pleases the lower gods and angels. The true God is gracious and thus does not demand any sacrifice. In the Gospel of Judas, Jesus's death is simply a final way for him to leave the realm of the flesh and return to the luminous cloud.

[edit]The Gospel as a Gnostic text Pagels and King (2007)[9] argue that a more nuanced, contextualized understanding of alternative interpretations of the Christian tradition should inform discussions of Gnosticism. In the centuries following Jesus's death, many differing views of the meaning of his life and death existed. Nicenian Christianity (i.e. a tradition based on the doctrines contained in the Nicene Creed) existed alongside other variants (one of which was labelled 'Gnosticism') for centuries. Gradually, the Nicenian interpretation become the dominant "mainstream" version of Christianity.

Before the discovery of so-called Gnostic texts (such as the Nag Hammadi library), scholars had to rely solely on the reports of proto-Nicenian church fathers for their understanding of alternative approaches to understanding Christianity. These reports were necessarily biased since they were written by people trying to crush non-Nicenian churches. Furthermore, study and analysis of original non-Nicenian texts has shown that the church fathers tended to oversimplify when writing about their doctrinal enemies.
Access to texts such as the Gospel of Judas has allowed scholars to develop a much richer and fuller understanding of non-Nicenian movements. To blandly assert that the Gospel of Judas is a Gnostic text without qualifying this statement in some way does not do justice to the variety and sophistication of the 'heretical' movements.

The Gospel of Judas was condemned by Irenaeus in his anti-Gnostic work Adversus Haereses (Against Heresies), written in about 180. Despite this attack, The Gospel of Judas differs from other non-Nicenian Gospels in several ways. Far from arguing that the physical body is a prison which needs to be escaped from, the Gospel of Judas portrays Jesus as able to leave his body at will. In the text, Jesus is shown leaving his body, journeying to the imperishable realm and returning to his body. Unlike other non-Nicenian Gospels, the Gospel of Judas is Sethian in orientation in that Adam's son Seth is seen as a spiritual ancestor. As in other Sethian documents, Jesus is equated with Seth: "The first is Seth, who is called Christ".
[edit]Modern rediscovery

The initial translation of the Gospel of Judas was widely publicized but simply confirmed the account that was written in Irenaeus and known Gnostic beliefs, leading some scholars to simply summarize the discovery as nothing new.
However, it is argued that a closer reading of the existent text, as presented in October 2006, shows that Judas may have been set up to actually betray Jesus out of wrath and anger:

"Truly [I] say to you, Judas, [those who] offer sacrifices to Saklas, the great fool, [,  exemplify , ] everything that is evil. But you will exceed all of them. For you will sacrifice the man that clothes me. Already your horn has been raised, your wrath has been kindled, your star has shone brightly, and your heart has [been hardened, ]"

The initial translators might have been misled by Irenaeus' summary, which although an exciting idea was not necessarily accurate. Their theory is now in dispute.

According to Elaine Pagels, Bible translators have mistranslated the Greek word for "handing over" to "betrayal".[10]
Like many Gnostic works, the Gospel of Judas claims to be a secret account, specifically "the secret account of the revelation that Jesus spoke in conversation with Judas Iscariot."

Over the ages many philosophers have contemplated the idea that Judas was required to have carried out his actions in order for Jesus to have died on the cross and hence fulfill theological obligations. The Gospel of Judas, however, asserts clearly that Judas' action was in obedience to a direct command of Jesus himself.

The Gospel of Judas states that Jesus told Judas "You shall be cursed for generations" and then added, "You will come to rule over them" and "You will exceed all of them, for you will sacrifice the man that clothes me."[11]
Unlike the four canonical gospels, which employ narrative accounts of the last year of life of Jesus (in the case of John, three years) and of his birth (in the case of Luke and Matthew), the Judas gospel takes the form of dialogues between Jesus and Judas, and Jesus and the twelve disciples, without being embedded in any narrative or worked into any overt philosophical or rhetorical context. Such "dialogue gospels" were popular during the early decades of Christianity, and indeed the four canonical gospels are the only surviving gospels in narrative form. The New Testament apocrypha contains several examples of the dialogue form, an example being the Gospel of Mary Magdalene.

Like the canonical gospels, the Gospel of Judas portrays the scribes as approaching Judas with the intention of arresting him, and Judas receiving money from them after handing Jesus over to them. But unlike Judas in the canonical gospels, who is portrayed as a villain, and excoriated by Jesus ("Alas for that man by whom the Son of Man is betrayed. It would be better for that man if he had never been born," trans. The New English Bible) Mark 14:21; Matthew 26:24, the Judas gospel portrays Judas as a divinely appointed instrument of a grand and predetermined purpose. "In the last days they will curse your ascent to the holy (generation)."

Elsewhere in the manuscript, Jesus favours Judas above other disciples by saying, "Step away from the others and I shall tell you the mysteries of the kingdom," and "Look, you have been told everything. Lift up your eyes and look at the cloud and the light within it and the stars surrounding it. The star that leads the way is your star."
In the New Testament, Judas is said to have died by hanging himself (Matthew 27:3-10), or by bursting open after a fall (Acts 1:16-19). The Gospel of Judas does not specify the fate of Judas, although in the gospel, Judas tells Jesus he has had a vision where he is stoned to death by the eleven remaining apostles.

"The Kiss of Judas" is a traditional depiction of Judas by Giotto di Bondone, c. 1306. Fresco in the Scrovegni Chapel, Padua.
The content of the gospel had been unknown until a Coptic Gospel of Judas turned up on the antiquities "grey market," in Geneva in May 1983, when it was found among a mixed group of Greek and Coptic manuscripts offered to Stephen Emmel, a Yale Ph.D. candidate commissioned by Southern Methodist University to inspect the manuscripts. How this manuscript, Codex Tchacos, was found, maybe in the late 1970s, has not been clearly documented. However, it is believed that a now-deceased Egyptian "treasure-hunter" or prospector discovered the codex near El Minya, Egypt, in the neighbourhood of the village Beni Masar, and sold it to one Hanna, a dealer in antiquities resident in Cairo.
In the 1970s, the manuscript and most of the dealer's other artifacts were stolen by a Greek trader named Nikolas Koutoulakis, and smuggled into Geneva. Hanna, along with Swiss antiquity traders, paid Koutoulakis a sum rumoured to be between $3 million to $10 million, recovered the manuscript and introduced it to experts who recognized its significance.

[edit]Sale and study

During the following two decades the manuscript was quietly offered to prospective buyers, but no major library or Egypt felt ready to purchase a manuscript that had such questionable provenance. In 2003 Michel van Rijn started to publish material about these dubious negotiations, and eventually the 62-page leather-bound codex was purchased by the Maecenas Foundation in Basel. The previous owners now claimed that it had been uncovered at Muhafazat al Minya in Egypt during the 1950s or 1960s, and that its significance had not been appreciated until recently. It is worth noting that various other locations had been alleged during previous negotiations.
The existence of the text was made public by Rodolphe Kasser at a conference of Coptic specialists in Paris, July 2004. In a statement issued March 30, 2005, a spokesman for the Maecenas Foundation announced plans for edited translations into English, French, German, and Polish once the fragile papyrus has undergone conservation by a team of specialists in Coptic history to be led by a former professor at the University of Geneva, Rodolphe Kasser, and that their work would be published in about a year. A. J. Tim Jull, director of the National Science Foundation Arizona AMS laboratory, and Gregory Hodgins, assistant research scientist, announced that a radiocarbon dating procedure had dated five samples from the papyrus manuscript from 220 to 340 in January 2005 at the University of Arizona.[12] This puts the Coptic manuscript in the 3rd or 4th centuries, a century earlier than had originally been thought from analysis of the script. In January 2006, Gene A. Ware of the Papyrological Imaging Lab of Brigham Young University conducted a multi-spectral imaging process on the texts in Switzerland, and confirmed their authenticity.[13]

Over the decades, the manuscript had been handled with less than sympathetic care: some single pages may be loose on the antiquities market (one half page turned up in Feb. 2006, in New York City[13]); the text is now in over a thousand pieces and fragments, and is believed to be less than three-quarters complete. "After concluding the research, everything will be returned to Egypt. The work belongs there and they will be conserved in the best way," Roberty has stated.[14]
In April 2006, an Ohio bankruptcy lawyer claimed to possess several small, brown bits of papyrus from the Gospel of Judas, but he refuses to have the fragments authenticated and his claim is being viewed with skepticism by experts.[15]

Responses and reactions

Scholarly debates

Professor Kasser revealed a few details about the text in 2004, the Dutch paper Het Parool reported.[16] Its language is the same Sahidic dialect of Coptic in which Coptic texts of the Nag Hammadi Library are written. The codex has four parts: the Letter of Peter to Philip, already known from the Nag Hammadi Library; the First Apocalypse of James, also known from the Nag Hammadi Library; the first few pages of a work related to, but not the same as, the Nag Hammadi work Allogenes; and the Gospel of Judas. Up to a third of the codex is currently illegible.

A scientific paper was to be published in 2005, but was delayed. The completion of the restoration and translation was announced by the National Geographic Society at a news conference in Washington, D.C. on April 6, 2006, and the manuscript itself was unveiled then at the National Geographic Society headquarters, accompanied by a television special entitled The Gospel of Judas on April 9, 2006, which was aired on the National Geographic Channel. l Terry Garcia, an executive vice president for Mission Programs of the National Geographic Society, asserted that the codex is considered by scholars and scientists to be the most significant ancient, non-biblical text to be found since the 1940s. However, James M. Robinson, one of America's leading experts on ancient religious texts, predicted that the new book would offer no historical insights into the disciple who betrayed Jesus, since the 2nd-century manuscript seems to derive from an older document. Robinson suggests that the text will provide insights into the religion situation during the 2nd century rather than into the biblical narrative itself.[17]

One scholar[who?] on the National Geographic project believes the document shows that Judas was "fooled" into believing he was helping Jesus.[18]

Another scholar, April D. DeConick, a professor of Biblical studies at Rice University, reports in the New York Times[19] that the National Geographic translation was critically faulty in many substantial respects, and that based on a corrected translation, Judas was actually a demon, truly betraying Jesus, rather than following his orders. DeConick, after re-translating the text, published The Thirteenth Apostle: What the Gospel of Judas Really Says to assert that Judas was not a daimon in the Greek sense, but that "the universally accepted word for “spirit” is “pneuma ” — in Gnostic literature “daimon” is always taken to mean “demon”, as she wrote in presenting her conclusions in The New York Times, 1 December 2007. "Judas is not set apart 'for' the holy generation, as the National Geographic translation says", DeConick asserted, "he is separated 'from' it." A negative that was dropped from a crucial sentence, an error National Geographic admits, changes the import.[citation needed] "Were they genuine errors or was something more deliberate going on?" DeConick asked in the Op-Ed page of the Times.[20]

The National Geographic Society responded that 'Virtually all issues April D. DeConick raises about translation choices are addressed in footnotes in both the popular and critical editions'.[21]

André Gagné, Professor at Concordia University in Montreal also questioned how the experts of the National Geographic Society (NGS)[22] understood the role of Judas Iscariot in the Gospel of Judas.[23] His argument rests on the translation of the Greco-Coptic term apophasis as denial. According to Gagné, the opening lines of the Judas Gospel should not be translated as "the secret word of declaration by which Jesus spoke in conversation with Judas Iscariot" but rather as "the secret word of the denial by which Jesus spoke in conversation with Judas Iscariot" (Gospel of Judas 33:1).[24] Gagné's conclusion is that this gospel is the story of the denial of true salvation for Judas.

An alternative possibility, that this gnostic tractate is a description of a transmutation of the inner "Judas" into the form of his mystic Master, Jesus Christ, is detailed in a book by author Robert Wahler, "Saviors".[25] "Judas" is not Judas Iscariot, who is fictional, but Jesus and James' brother, Theudas. The Gospel of Judas is seen as a description of the process of Judas becoming a spiritual Master to carry on the role of Jesus with new disciples, whom Judas will "rule over" as the "Thirteenth" (p. 46), an allusion to his conquering "the twelve" stages of spiritual enlightenment in the heavenly realms (p. 36), finally becoming one with the "Pleroma" or God. The famous statement of Jesus' in the "Judas" gospel, "You will exceed them all. For you will sacrifice the man who bears me" (p. 57) is Judas merging into Jesus' form. That is why he is told (p. 56) that "no hand of a mortal human will sin against me" when Jesus tells him about what is to befall him when "tomorrow they will torment the man who bears me" (meaning the mistreatment of Judas as one of the twelve disciples). Judas then ascends into the luminous cloud with Jesus and stops "gazing at Jesus" as they merge together and into the Light of the Father. The money given to Judas in the final line at page 58, is a corruption in both the canon and the "Judas" gospel of a scenario in which the money was actually given by orthodox scribes not to Judas but to Pilate, as related in Slavonic Josephus (Jewish War, 2.9.2.169). Several features here tally with Sant Mat teachings [26] in "Sar Bachan",[27] most notably, the incipit's "Apophasis Logos" as "Shabd", or Christian "Word", and not the consensus "secret account of the revelation" (introduction, "Sar Bachan"wink, and the "region never called by any name", at page 47 in "Judas" as "Anami Desh" (the "no-name region", abode of God) in Sant Mat cosmology (page 27, "Sar Bachan"wink. The "five combatants" (p. 55) or "five kings" (p. 57) causing trouble in the "Judas" gospel have counterparts as lust, anger, greed, attachment, and vanity in Sant Mat, and also, notably, as the "five kings" slain without mercy by Joshua in his devotions in Joshua 10:22-27. This raises profound questions about the validity of orthodox Christian teaching, with an obvious misinterpretation of something from the oral tradition that mystics would say Jesus Christ almost certainly did say: "For you will sacrifice the man who bears me." Not knowing mysticism, the ones who heard these words in the first century didn't know what to make of them, and thus was born the orthodox gospel version of Judas as "traitor" of Jesus. The payoff to Judas at page 58 appears as a sop to the canonical "betrayal" version, which was otherwise by then too well-known from the canonical gospels to leave out. What the scholars have not explained in the "handing over" version of the famous climax scene is why Jesus Christ would need any help turning himself into the authorities. Instead of not offering any "historical insights" as one orthodox researcher, Dr. James Robinson, has said, the "Gospel of Judas" may indicate how the canonical betrayal story began.

In 2006 Géza Vermes commented the gospel was "a typical product of Greek (Platonic)-Christian speculation" representing Judas "assisting the Jewish authorities’ arrest of Jesus and bringing about his liberation from the prison of his body."[28]

Religious responses:

In his 2006 Easter address, Rowan Williams, the Archbishop of Canterbury, strongly denied the historical credibility of the gospel, saying "This is a demonstrably late text which simply parallels a large number of quite well-known works from the more eccentric fringes of the early century Church".

He went on to suggest that the book's publicity derives from an insatiable desire for conspiracy theories:
"We are instantly fascinated by the suggestion of conspiracies and cover-ups; this has become so much the stuff of our imagination these days that it is only natural, it seems, to expect it when we turn to ancient texts, especially biblical texts. We treat them as if they were unconvincing press releases from some official source, whose intention is to conceal the real story; and that real story waits for the intrepid investigator to uncover it and share it with the waiting world. Anything that looks like the official version is automatically suspect".

Later the same year, Biblical scholar Louis Painchaud argued that the text suggests Judas was actually possessed by a demon.[30]

The uniqueness of the codex:

The president of the Maecenas Foundation, Mario Roberty, suggested the possibility that the Maecenas Foundation had acquired not the only extant copy of the Gospel, but rather the only "known" copy. Roberty went on to make the suggestion that the

Vatican probably had another copy locked away, saying:

"In those days the Church decided for political reasons to include the Gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John in the Bible. The other gospels were banned. It is highly logical that the Catholic Church would have kept a copy of the forbidden gospels. Sadly, the Vatican does not want to clarify further. Their policy has been the same for years – 'No further comment.'[31]

Roberty provided no evidence to suggest that the Vatican does, in fact, possess any additional copy. While the contents of one part of the Vatican library have been catalogued and have long been available to researchers and scholars, the remainder of the library is, however, without a public catalogue, and though researchers may view any work within, they must first name the text they require, a serious problem for those who do not know what is contained by the library. The Pope responded on April 13, 2006-[32]

The Vatican, by word of Pope Benedict XVI, grants the recently surfaced Judas' Gospel no credit with regards to its apocryphal claims that Judas betrayed Jesus in compliance with the latter's own requests. According to the Pope, Judas freely chose to betray Jesus: "an open rejection of God's love." Judas, according to Pope Benedict XVI "viewed Jesus in terms of power and success: his only real interests lay in his power and success, there was no love involved. He was a greedy man: money was more important than communing with Jesus; money came before God and his love." According to the Pope it was due to these traits that led Judas to "turn liar, two-faced, indifferent to the truth", "losing any sense of God", "turning hard, incapable of converting, of being the prodigal son, hence throwing away a spent existence."
Spokespersons say the Vatican does not wish to suppress the Gospel of Judas; rather, according to Monsignor Walter Brandmüller, president of the Vatican's Committee for Historical Science, "We welcome the [manuscript] like we welcome the critical study of any text of ancient literature."[33] Even more explicitly, Father Thomas D. Williams, Dean of Theology at the Regina Apostolorum university in Rome, when asked:

Is it true that the Catholic Church has tried to cover up this text [Gospel of Judas] and other apocryphal texts?
answered as follows:

These are myths circulated by Dan Brown (who wrote/recorded them purely as part of a fictional novel) and numerous conspiracy theorists. You can go to any Catholic bookstore and pick up a copy of the Gnostic gospels. Christians may not believe them to be true, but there is no attempt to hide them.[34]

In AD 367, bishop Athanasius of Alexandria did urge Christians to reject “books called apocryphal.”[35] It is possible that, in response to letters such as this one, some Christians destroyed or buried non-canonical gospels.
[edit]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gospel_of_Judas

1 Like

Re: Secret £14million Bible In Which 'jesus Predicts Coming Of Prophet Muhammad by azezola(m): 11:20pm On Feb 27, 2012
Christian terrorist,this happens everyday in AmericaChardon High School Shooting Left 'Friends Laying All Over the Place'
By CHRISTINA NG and BARBARA LOWE | Good Morning America – 8 hours ago
Email
Print
RELATED CONTENT
Enlarge Photo
Chardon High School Shooting Left 'Friends Laying All Over the Place' (ABC News)
One student has died and four were wounded in a fusillade of bullets at Chardon High School Ohio this morning in an attack that left "friends laying all over the place" in puddles of blood.
The gunman was identified as a student at the school by survivors of the shooting.
Nate Mueller, a junior at the school, was having breakfast with three friends when he heard a loud pop like a firecracker about 7:45 .am., he told ABC News.
A friend yelled, "Duck!" and Mueller turned to see the shooter standing by his table. Mueller said he saw the gunman take his second shot.
Mueller said he saw one friend get hit. "He was over the table in a pool of blood," he said. Another pal "was on the floor in a puddle of blood next to him," Mueller said.
A third friend "had not been hit yet as I jumped over him," Mueller said.
Mueller got on the floor and was trying to crawl away when a shot rang out and he felt a bullet graze his ear. He was not badly injured, he said, with just a small red mark left on his ear.
"It was terror. Everything had just gone tunnel vision, like, I need to get out of here," Mueller said. "You see glances of your friends laying all over the place. There's blood, there's people screaming, everybody's just running in different directions and you're just trying to get out. That's all you can do, get out of the school and not look back even though your friends are back there."
Two students were taken by ambulance to Hillcrest Hospital and three were taken by helicopter to MetroHealth Hospital, according to WEWS.
One student later died from the wounds.
"There is one deceased student," Chardon Police Chief Tim McKenna said at a news conference. "That's the sad news for all of us today."
Police have not officially identified the gunman, saying only that he has not yet been charged and that he is a juvenile.
Mueller described the suspect as "a quiet kid. Freshman year he got into a 'Goth' phase and didn't talk to that many people anymore. He never egged anybody on. He just went about his business."
The gunman opened fire with a handgun just before 8 a.m. in the school cafeteria where students were eating breakfast, authorities and witnesses said.
The shooter was chased out of the building by a teacher and later turned himself in to a passerby, authorities said.
The suspect is in custody at Geauga County Safety Center, according to ABC News' Cleveland affiliate WEWS.
"Our prayers go out to the five victims and their families," a choked up School Superintendent Joseph Bergant said at news conference. "It's a horrible tragedy."
Geauga County Sheriff Daniel McClelland praised the reaction to the shooting.
"A prompt entry was made into the school. They went into the school and located the victims. It became readily apparent that the shooter had fled already," McClelland said. "The individual was apprehended some distance from the school and had fled on foot."
The officer said police created a security perimeter to make sure the gunman could not return and a search, including a K-9 unit, was launched for the suspect.
Ohio High School Student Arrested in School Shooting
Parent Teresa Hunt told WEWS that she was texting with her daughter during the lockdown and her daughter said she heard five shots fired in the cafeteria about 7:30 a.m. Her daughter texted that students were scared and that four people had been shot.
Chardon student Evan Erasmus told WEWS that a student had tweeted that he was going to bring a gun to school, but that no one took him seriously.
The Chardon Fire Department was called to the school at about 7:45 a.m. in response to a report of "several people shot," according to Inspector William Crowley of the Chardon Fire Department.
Multiple law enforcement agencies, including a SWAT team, rushed to the school.
The superintendent immediately canceled classes at all schools in the district. Students who were still on school buses were being dropped back off at their homes and parents were called to pick up their children that were already at school.
The Chardon School District sent a voicemail to parents that schools are closed and high school students are being moved to the middle school, according to WEWS.
Parents received the following message:
"As of 9:00 AM the alleged sole CHS gunman is in custody and Chardon High School students are being moved by safety forces to Maple Elementary. Parents or legal guardians can pick up their students up any time. Chardon Middle School students are also being released to parents."
Ohio Gov. John Kasich tweeted around 9:30 a.m., "Pls pray for wounded Chardon HS students, their families, and their community; appears things under control now."
The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives has eight agents on their way to the scene and they are expected to trace the firearm.
Chardon is a village in Geauga County, about 35 miles east of Cleveland, Ohio.
Also Read
@GMA on Twitter, become a fan on Facebook
EXPLORE RELATED CONTENT1 - 4 of 12
Re: Secret £14million Bible In Which 'jesus Predicts Coming Of Prophet Muhammad by olasesi(m): 11:23pm On Feb 27, 2012
ridgeman:

interesting but illogical.

If Jesus as widely disputed  by Muslims is not the Son of God or the Way the Truth and the Life,

then
         he is an untruthful person,

if he is an untruthful person

then
      why believe any of his predictions,

If Jesus is not an untruthful person as widely disputed by Muslims  and this message is authentic then he is the Son of God and is the Way, the Truth and the Life and Prophet Muhammad is in deed a prophet and Jesus remains as the only way to God,

My advise is to not try to support one religion with evidence from another,

NOW I TEND TO WONDER HOW PEOPLE REASON.

so u cant be truthful unless u are the son of God.

why is he truthful?
because he is the son of God.
why is he the son of God
because he is truthful.
Re: Secret £14million Bible In Which 'jesus Predicts Coming Of Prophet Muhammad by gbosah(m): 11:29pm On Feb 27, 2012
Meself am returning my bornagain to my prist. Eckankar here i come
Re: Secret £14million Bible In Which 'jesus Predicts Coming Of Prophet Muhammad by SailorXY: 11:30pm On Feb 27, 2012
Are you surprised , ISLAM and the CATHOLIC Church are the two largest false religions of our day, both used by SATAN to deceive billions.
X1000 embarassed
Re: Secret £14million Bible In Which 'jesus Predicts Coming Of Prophet Muhammad by ridgeman: 11:38pm On Feb 27, 2012
@olasesi, please re-read my post and understand the argument

"If Jesus as widely disputed by Muslims"

The point being expressed is simple - so let me break it down, if you are widely regarded as a liar why then should we believe one (1) word of truth?

Jesus according to Muslims( and they are not the only ones) do not believe that Jesus is the Son of God etc, therefore it only stands to reason that he is/was a false messiah. If he is/was a false messiah then you cannot accept what he says as truth(not even one little truth). But if you do accept anything he says as undeniably true then it only stands to reason that you should accept the other statements he has made,

To further break it down, you cannot pick and choose what you want to believe when it suits you, you either believe Jesus is truthful entirely or Jesus is untruthful entirely - you cannot accept some part of Jesus' message and discard the others - because it doesn't suit you or support your argument.

Hope that helps and wasn't too deep,
Re: Secret £14million Bible In Which 'jesus Predicts Coming Of Prophet Muhammad by shewun001: 11:41pm On Feb 27, 2012
The book is a waste of time, , the coming Messiah an Ishmaelite? That's preposterous and totally against the lineage of the founding pillars,namely Abraham, Isaac and Jacob and the line of David. Where is the Ishmaelite. Let everyone hold fast to what he/she believes as the times are dangerous. Take heed lest thou falleth.
Re: Secret £14million Bible In Which 'jesus Predicts Coming Of Prophet Muhammad by Nobody: 11:43pm On Feb 27, 2012
ridgeman:

The point being expressed is simple - so let me break it down, if you are widely regarded as a liar why then should we believe one (1) word of truth?

Jesus according to Muslims( and they are not the only ones) do not believe that Jesus is the Son of God etc, therefore it only stands to reason that he is/was a false messiah. If he is/was a false messiah then you cannot accept what he says as truth(not even one little truth). But if you do accept anything he says as undeniably true then it only stands to reason that you should accept the other statements he has made,

To further break it down, you cannot pick and choose what you want to believe when it suits you, you either believe Jesus is truthful entirely or Jesus is untruthful entirely - you cannot accept some part of Jesus' message and discard the others - because it doesn't suit you or support your argument.

Hope that helps and wasn't too deep,

People like you make me sick!

Is Jesus described by Muslims as a liar or do Muslims describe the people who spread the "News" that Jesus was the son of God as liars? Its ok to be intolerant, but to be supremely Morose on top of that is adverse to the development of the future of mankind.

Pick up a book and read.
Re: Secret £14million Bible In Which 'jesus Predicts Coming Of Prophet Muhammad by olasesi(m): 11:45pm On Feb 27, 2012
Nn-a-Nn-a:

1. Was Barnabas really its author?
This book professes to be a Gospel and alleges that its author was the Apostle Barnabas. We must therefore begin by enquiring who the man Barnabas really was and at the same time must decide whether he is the author of the book we are considering in this booklet. To do this we must make some comparisons between the knowledge that we have of the real Apostle Barnabas in the Bible and the professed author of the Gospel of Barnabas. At the beginning and end of this book two comments appear which immediately assist us in our quest. They are these:
why should the author bother u?
there are more than few books of the bible with wrong authors e.g moses couldnt av written deutronomy(his obituary appears at the last part of this book) same applies to the book of joshua,unknown authors e.g who wrote the book of esther?,
so, that barnabas wrote it or not should not be the reason for its exclusion as the above books also made it to the bible.
Re: Secret £14million Bible In Which 'jesus Predicts Coming Of Prophet Muhammad by proo212(m): 11:52pm On Feb 27, 2012
If the pope is asking to see a copy of "The Gospel of Barnabas" then he's not really a man of God as he makes claim. I thought he studied Theology? He should be conversant with the word of God and exegesis of the gospels.

Millions/billions of his faithfuls stand by what he says but he is unsure so he is asking to see "the gospel".  Very sad situation indeed.

Psalm 83:4-5 also tells us the Ishmaelites and others in one accord planned to wipe Israel into oblivion. How can the "messiah" now come from that area after one from the linage of Israel has prepared the way? Illogical! Our God is not the author of confusion.
Re: Secret £14million Bible In Which 'jesus Predicts Coming Of Prophet Muhammad by ridgeman: 11:57pm On Feb 27, 2012
@kingoflag

Are you worried? If the Gospel of Barnabas is true then Matthew,Mark,Luke and John cannot be false. Simples. And note I haven't insulted you back, but that's ok.
Re: Secret £14million Bible In Which 'jesus Predicts Coming Of Prophet Muhammad by tunnytox(m): 11:57pm On Feb 27, 2012
Why do you guys get yourself worked up becos of one 'dug out' and scrappy old gospel of basabas  grin grin grin if you believe in muhammed follow him, if you believe in Jesus follow him and if na sango you fancy also follow him. why all these brouhaha for nothing?
Re: Secret £14million Bible In Which 'jesus Predicts Coming Of Prophet Muhammad by LagosShia: 12:12am On Feb 28, 2012
tiarabubu:

I thought the Koran was
thats hardly the crux of the matter.

This find only confirms the existence of the heretical "gospels'" (who were disowned by early church fathers and found their way round middle east)  from where Islam got its miracle stories of Jesus talking at birth and making clay doves come to life!

Indeed I expect it would prove that the funny stories of Jesus and Solomon listening to ants were around BEFORE Prophet Mohammed was born and were common knowledge. So the defence by some that the Prophet Mohammed couldnt have possibly HEARD these heretical stories since they were around after his revelation will fall flat on its face

this finding isn't about what you see as "funny stories".whether those stories are "true" or "funny" is entirely a different story and case to talk about and study.

the issue of "heretical gospel" and "canonical gospel" is also not within the scope of this discussion.what the early church fathers deemed acceptable as "gospel" or rejectable as "apocrypha" can only be explained by their ancient minds and their desire to formulate their trinitarian doctrines and what support them textually especially through "pious fraud".they naturally will take,add or subtract what suits or fits their accepted ideas or maginations and reject what doesn't.there were also early church fathers who rejected the trinity and also the doctrine of "crucifixion" like Arius and Iraneus.that doesn't make them less believable.the others promoting what we know today as trinitarian christianity promoting the idea of the alleged crucifixion were only right because they had political power and backing from the roman empire which newly adopted christianity and introduced pagan concepts like the divinity of Jesus (as) into it.like i said,this is totally out of the scope of our discussion.

as for the topic we are looking at,it is interesting only to note that it is amazing how a document written before Muhammad (sa) was born has come to prove its authenticity centuries after christianity rejected it as "false gospel" mainly because of its monotheistic outlook .if a "false gospel" can rightly make a prediction that came to pass,then that is not a false gospel after all.it makes sense to say that is a prophecy made that came to pass unlike the prophecies that are false we find in the gospels christians believe are true:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-550247.0.html
Re: Secret £14million Bible In Which 'jesus Predicts Coming Of Prophet Muhammad by Aahammed1: 12:12am On Feb 28, 2012
Although they plan but ALLAH also planned and ALLAH is best of planner the final victory shall with the muslims.
Re: Secret £14million Bible In Which 'jesus Predicts Coming Of Prophet Muhammad by aribisala0(m): 12:18am On Feb 28, 2012
@Ridgemann you are picking and choosing

exactly what you accuse others of doing.

The Moslem position is quite clear if you are honest .

They claim Jesus was a prophet. A man (Not son of God )

They agree he was conceived by Holy Spirit(wetin Joseph wan do naa)
But they also claim that the NEW TESTAMENT as Christians know it today has been doctored and does not accurately portray Jesus and his teaching.
They claim that he did not actually die but was translocated to heaven whilst his crucifiers were deceived or otherwise confounded into believing he was killed. This is implied rather than explicit.

They claim their own version in the Quran(of Jesus teaching,life miracles etc is more accurate (Obviously not very much detail as New testament) because it is a "recitation"( that is what al quran means by the way) from Allah
If you want to join issue with muslims by all means do so but not on a false premises or deliberate or poorly informed misrepresentation of Islam.

Finally,as a neutral I do not see how one can use the bible to prove the quran wrong or vice versa
I am no muslim or christian but read both quran and bible entirely at least once every year and have done for more than ten years (because they are very well written works of fiction,quite entertaining with some good prose). So I know a thing or two about both and why they are clearly fiction.
For neutrals interested in CRITIQUING the quran you canl listen to it here.
http://www.quranexplorer.com/quran/. in both english and arabic. The whole thing is about 6 hours or so
It is impossible not to draw the conclusion that Muhammad has reproduced or been influenced by stories that were around in the middle east for centuries.

as for christians it is useful to bear in mind that the old testament is a HISTORY as well as religious book for Jews.
There were other people in the middle east who have their own stories sometimes same,similar or contradictory to those in the Old testament both recorded in writing and oral tradition centuries old e.g the stories of Ishmael and Isaac to mention One and who it was that was to be offered as sacrifice. The Ismael version is what is in the quran and recorded in many other places.
Re: Secret £14million Bible In Which 'jesus Predicts Coming Of Prophet Muhammad by aribisala0(m): 12:42am On Feb 28, 2012
Jesus did indeed Talk about the one coming after him. But there is nothing to indicate or prove it was Muhammad or indeed a Messiah.

The problem is the original text was in Greek and translations of the word used include Comforter or Advocate  see

John 14.16 and .26  John14.26 16.7-14

none of which to my mind describes Muhammad, Also Muhammad came to the Arabs of Mecca not to followers of Jesus
By the way all these texts were several hundreds of year (3-400)after Jesus had died
Re: Secret £14million Bible In Which 'jesus Predicts Coming Of Prophet Muhammad by olasesi(m): 12:53am On Feb 28, 2012
ridgeman:

QURAN(003.045)
YUSUFALI: Behold! the angels said: "O Mary! Allah giveth thee glad tidings of a Word from Him: his name will be Christ Jesus, the son of Mary, held in honour in this world and the Hereafter and of (the company of) those nearest to Allah;

"Thereupon she pointed to him. They said, 'How can we talk to one who is a child in the cradle?' Jesus said, 'I am a servant of ALLAH. HE has given me the Book, and has made me a Prophet; 'And HE has made me blessed wheresoever I may be, and has enjoined upon me Prayer and almsgiving so long as I live; 'And HE has made me dutiful towards my mother, and has not made me arrogant and graceless; 'And peace was on me the day I was born, and peace will be on me the day I shall die, and the day I shall be raised up to life again.' That was Jesus, son of Mary. This is a statement of the truth concerning which they entertain doubt."—Qur'an, Surah 19:30-35

few verses of the quran about jesus.
jesus was mentioned 25 times in the quran and muhammed, the acclaimed author only 5 times.
at least he was intelligent enough not to mention his own name too much in "his book" that it might attract suspicions from his critics.

ridgeman:

WHO REGARDS HIM AS A LIAR?

Sahih Bukhari Volume 3, Book 34, Number 425:

Narrated Abu Huraira:

Allah's Apostle(i.e Muhammed) said, "By Him in Whose Hands my soul is, son of Mary (Jesus) will shortly descend amongst you people (Muslims) as a just ruler and will break the Cross and kill the pig and abolish the Jizya (a tax taken from the non-Muslims, who are in the protection, of the Muslim government). Then there will be abundance of money and no-body will accept charitable gifts.

ridgeman:

if muslims are to accept the teachings of jesus christ why do u think those teachings av to come from the bible.?
jesus was given a book called the injil which has been lost (the gospel of jesus christ)
what we now av is the gospel according to matthew,mark,luke and john with few contradictory contents.
this is what the quran has to say

Say, “He is God, the One.  God, to Whom the creatures turn for their needs.  He begets not, nor was He begotten, and there is none like Him.”  (Quran, 112:1-4)

so we are not taking any teaching that contradicts the quran.
God is free from such human xteristics.

quran5:75
The Messiah, son of Mary, was not but a messenger; [other] messengers have passed on before him. And his mother was a supporter of truth. They both used to eat food. Look how We make clear to them the signs; then look how they are deluded.{quran5:75}

he was human.
and i guess in the bible he was circumcised,
i guess u know why people are circumcised,

so the teachings we take come from the quran not the bible,

here are some of his teachings from the quran

Indeed, they have disbelieved who have said, “God is the Messiah (Jesus), son of Mary.”  The Messiah said, “Children of Israel, worship God, my Lord and your Lord.  Whoever associates partners in worship with God, then God has forbidden Paradise for him, and his home is the Fire (Hell).  For the wrongdoers,3 there will be no helpers.”  (Quran, 5:72)

below are more reasons why we muslims dont take his teachings from the bible

“If I testify on my own behalf, my testimony is valid (John 8:14)
“If I testify about myself, my testimony is not valid. (John 5:31)
he couldnt av said both ,

But I tell you that anyone who is angry with his brother will be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to his brother, 'Raca, is answerable to the Sanhedrin. But anyone who says, 'You fool!' will be in danger of the fire of hell. (Matthew 5:22)
You blind fools! Which is greater: the gold, or the temple that makes the gold sacred? (Matthew 23:17)
Ye fools and blind: for whether is greater, the gift, or the altar that sanctifieth the gift? (Matthew 23:19, KJV)

to call fool or not to?

John 19:26-27

New International Version (NIV)

26 When Jesus saw his mother there, and the disciple whom he loved standing nearby, he said to her, “Woman,[a] here is your son,” 27 and to the disciple, “Here is your mother.” From that time on, this disciple took her into his home.

to us, this was quite rude.
and maybe its not in the original language.
one of the few reasons why the original language should be demanded,
as u will agree,no matter how perfect a translator maybe,true meanings are lost in translations

among the most steadfast and hopeful of God's mercy among the people are his prophets, messengers etc
muslims do not believe jesus couldav said these words "my God my God why av u forsaken me"
according to us,this is a statement of disbelief.
who if not jesus should av the strongest faith even while being lynched flesh by flesh,
such statements were not even coming from the two theives.
we are sure he didnt say such.

ridgeman:

we pick everything
but unfortunately everything must come from the quran or the original bible which we believe is in accordance with the quran
Re: Secret £14million Bible In Which 'jesus Predicts Coming Of Prophet Muhammad by gseintegrity(m): 12:56am On Feb 28, 2012
THEY SAID " THE MESSIAH SHALL BE CALLED MUHAMMAD" THE MUSLIM WORLD KNEW THAT MUHAMMAD IS HUMAN, DIED AND NEVER RESSURECT; THE MESSIAH WAS PROPHESIED TO COME BY A VIRGIN, LIVE ,DIE FOR THE SINS OF MAN AND RESSURECT TO THE GLORY OF GOD. WHERE IS MUHAMMAD IN ALL THIS, "IN THE LAST DAYS KNOWLEDGE SHALL INCREASE" BEWARE !
Re: Secret £14million Bible In Which 'jesus Predicts Coming Of Prophet Muhammad by aribisala0(m): 1:01am On Feb 28, 2012
can you tell where this prophesy was made
This is just NOT true
Re: Secret £14million Bible In Which 'jesus Predicts Coming Of Prophet Muhammad by olasesi(m): 1:02am On Feb 28, 2012
gse-integrity:

THE MESSIAH WAS PROPHESIED TO COME BY A VIRGIN, LIVE ,DIE FOR THE SINS OF MAN AND RESSURECT TO THE GLORY OF GOD.  ![/i]

YES
INSIDE THE BIBLE,
Re: Secret £14million Bible In Which 'jesus Predicts Coming Of Prophet Muhammad by aribisala0(m): 1:09am On Feb 28, 2012
Give the verse and stop bluffing

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

NOAH: This Information Will Make Smart People Throw Their Bibles Away! / Apostle Suleman’s Private Jet: Linda Ikeji & Other Top Bloggers Now Afraid / Pastor Aloysius Challenges Odumejeje To A Spiritual Battle; Invites The Public

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 201
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.