Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,725 members, 7,805,969 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:30 AM

Shipping From Ny To Cotonou Or Lagos Via Acl Grimaldi - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Shipping From Ny To Cotonou Or Lagos Via Acl Grimaldi (7211 Views)

You Are Welcome To Cotonou Clearing And Forwarding Home!!!!!!! / Per Acl Grimaldi Sailing From Usa To Nigeria - No More Ctn Needed / Pick Your Choice Cars From Cotonou At Cheaper Rate, Follow Us To Cotonou Today ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Shipping From Ny To Cotonou Or Lagos Via Acl Grimaldi by lovehateNG: 5:25am On Feb 27, 2012
Hello All!

I will like to ship a vehicle to Nigeria from NY within the next week or two and need some counsel and assistance.

1. I understand that ACL/Grimaldi has the safest terminal in Lagos and is the most organised for fast clearing. However, I also understand they constantly experience backlogs in shipping. As a result, a vehicle delivered to the port may not leave NY for 2-3 months or more if shipped by RoRo and maybe even a month if containerized. What do people advise given this? What are alternatives? My aim is to get the car to Nigeria as soon as possible so I cannot afford these delays.

2. Cotonou vs. Lagos: It seems that Cotonou is significantly cheaper for shipping and also for clearing. So I am considering shipping it to Cotonou instead of Lagos. I have to ask given the price differential for both shipping and clearing why are many others not shipping and clearing in Cotonou, then driving the car to Lagos. Am I missing something? Is there a negative to the Cotonou option that I have overlooked?

3. Equivalent of ACL/Grimaldi in Cotonou: Does ACL/Grimaldi have their own terminal in Cotonou? Is it as safe as their terminal in Lagos? If shipping to Cotonou should one use ACL or another shipping line, and if another line - what line should be used

4. Any other direct to West Africa options? I prefer a direct shipping line for speed and to avoid delays/risks associated with transshipment in Europe.

5. I understand RoRo is safe for Nigeria if shipped via ACL but not to TinCan? Is RoRo safe to Cotonou and if so to what terminal in Cotonou/via what line??

What do the Nairaland auto experts advise in connection with the above?

Thanks so much!
Re: Shipping From Ny To Cotonou Or Lagos Via Acl Grimaldi by KunleA2(m): 6:35am On Feb 27, 2012
lovehateNG:

Hello All!

I will like to ship a vehicle to Nigeria from NY within the next week or two and need some counsel and assistance.

1.  I understand that ACL/Grimaldi has the safest terminal in Lagos and is the most organised for fast clearing.  However, I also understand they constantly experience backlogs in shipping. As a result, a vehicle delivered to the port may not leave NY for 2-3 months or more if shipped by RoRo and maybe even a month if containerized.  What do people advise given this?  What are alternatives?  My aim is to get the car to Nigeria as soon as possible so I cannot afford these delays.

2.    Cotonou vs. Lagos:  It seems that Cotonou is significantly cheaper for shipping and also for clearing.  So I am considering shipping it to Cotonou instead of Lagos.  I have to ask given the price differential for both shipping and clearing why are many others not shipping and clearing in Cotonou, then driving the car to Lagos.  Am I missing something?  Is there a negative to the Cotonou option that I have overlooked?

3.  Equivalent of ACL/Grimaldi in Cotonou:  Does ACL/Grimaldi have their own terminal in Cotonou?  Is it as safe as their terminal in Lagos?  If shipping to Cotonou should one use ACL or another shipping line, and if another line - what line should be used

4.  Any other direct to West Africa options?  I prefer a direct shipping line for speed and to avoid delays/risks associated with transshipment in Europe.

5.  I understand RoRo is safe for Nigeria if shipped via ACL but not to TinCan?  Is RoRo safe to Cotonou and if so to what terminal in Cotonou/via what line??

What do the Nairaland auto experts advise in connection with the above?

Thanks so much!

[b]With all due respect, i think you are over-thinking things. You are worrying a lot about what you cannot control. Not sure if that's because you have so many mis-information or just micro analyzing the situation.

Starting with, when you deliver a vehicle to the port for shipment, all your documents goes to the customs for approval before ACL can sail it. Depending on the port, the customs process takes between 2-4weeks from the date of delivery. It hard to predict cos there is no way to hurry them up, depend on their workload. They get to you when they get  to you.

Unfortunately, NY port takes the longest to clear customs. Average of 4weeks I would drop it and wait. Your vehicle will not take 3 months. In alternative, you can truck it to Baltimore and sail it from there. You might shave off about 2 weeks.

As for safety, its all relative, being the "safest" port does not mean that you vehicle will not be tampered with. I have had thing stolen form my vehicle shipped thru ACL. The most shocking thing i have witnessed stolen is a Catalytic Converter on a Toyota Camry that i shipped for a Client. So things happen.

Other ones you can use is Hoegh shipping line.

As for Cotonou, if you plan to drive the car in Lagos, just go to Lagos straight. If you clear in Cotonou and drive to Lagos, you might run into Nigeria Customs later and it won't be fun. You vehicle can be seized for not paying Nigeria duty.

And if you plan to pay Nigerian duty, why ship to Cotonuo in the 1st place? That's paying 2 duties  undecided

Why hustle backwards?  undecided

My advise to you is this:

Truck your vehicle to Baltimore and sail thru there. Ship directly to Lagos. Get a good clearing agent. Your agent should be able to help secure the car against theft. NOTHING IS GUARANTEE THOUGH!

Ship thru Grimaldi and don't worry so much

Good luck[/b]
Re: Shipping From Ny To Cotonou Or Lagos Via Acl Grimaldi by lovehateNG: 6:41am On Feb 27, 2012
Thanks Kunle.

Yes I am worrying and over analyzing, na becuase I dey fear.  The car is a heavy investment, so i can't afford any problems.

Your idea about trucking the car to Baltimore is a good one.    You are right NY is the busiest terminal, so yes Customs can take time there.

Are you recommending Roro over Container?  I know container costs more, but if it can help me ge the car there quicker and safer it might be worth it?

What say you?

Lastly, any reputable clearing agents you recommend.

Thanks again!
Re: Shipping From Ny To Cotonou Or Lagos Via Acl Grimaldi by KunleA2(m): 6:45am On Feb 27, 2012
What kind of vehicle is this?

Year/make/model?
Re: Shipping From Ny To Cotonou Or Lagos Via Acl Grimaldi by lovehateNG: 6:58am On Feb 27, 2012
Not yet confirmed, likely to be late model SUV
Re: Shipping From Ny To Cotonou Or Lagos Via Acl Grimaldi by KunleA2(m): 7:25am On Feb 27, 2012
Well, to keep your mind at rest a little. Do the following:

Sail from Baltimore.

When booking, ask the agent to book RO-RO V.I.P (costs $250 extra)

Let Adexfem clear for you. I have used him many times. Fast. Trusted and Tested.

Here is his link:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-84426.1344.html

You should be fine. Good luck
Re: Shipping From Ny To Cotonou Or Lagos Via Acl Grimaldi by lovehateNG: 7:44am On Feb 27, 2012
Thanks, Kunle, very much!

Thanks also for the referral to Adexfem.

Can you recommend to me a reliable shipping agent.

Ro-Ro VIP , neer heard o fit. How does it work? What does it get you?

Thanks so much!
Re: Shipping From Ny To Cotonou Or Lagos Via Acl Grimaldi by KunleA2(m): 7:51am On Feb 27, 2012
All VIP cars have a separate parking area on the ship. Cos less vehicle, it reduces the chance of damage and HOPEFULLY they handle them with a little bit of care.

Its like flying First Class and Coach. Something like that

Regards
Re: Shipping From Ny To Cotonou Or Lagos Via Acl Grimaldi by lovehateNG: 7:59am On Feb 27, 2012
OK, it seems I'll take the gamble of Roro VIP.  I'm tempted to ship via container as this might expedite the shipping date, but the downside here is increased shipping and clearing costs.

I don't quite understand why the same car costs more to clear in Lagos if shipped by container as opposed to RoRo.  The value of the car is the same whether shipped RoRo or container so why do agents always quote more for containerized vehicles??!!!

Many Thanks, Kunle!  All the best to you
Re: Shipping From Ny To Cotonou Or Lagos Via Acl Grimaldi by KunleA2(m): 8:17am On Feb 27, 2012
Well there are lots of process involved in container shipping that does not involve in RORO

1. Container handling: The container has to be forklifted and trucked outside the port. Trucking alone is about N90k - N100k just to get from inside to outside the port.

2. You pay to unload the container

3. Container deposit. Agents have to deposit for container in case they never bring it back. Can be as much as N400k. And this is Nigeria, you can bet you will not get all back all. They will make excuse that you have damage this or damage that. Upon the fact that it might take about 4-6week to get your money back.

4. Inspection: All containers must be inspected by customs to verify content before release. Can take a bit  of time and you have to grease some palms. Otherwise, the inspector might not be available for weeks  wink

So it all adds up. RORO does not incur those charges.

Good luck.
Re: Shipping From Ny To Cotonou Or Lagos Via Acl Grimaldi by lovehateNG: 8:32am On Feb 27, 2012
Thanks again, Kunle.

Quite a lot I didn't know. You are quite informed. I have to say Naija, sha!! Especially the part about the "inspector not being around for a few weeks".

I saw a picture here on Nairaland, where a SUV was completely wrapped in some kind of protective covering. Do you know what that is? I would like to get it to protect the vehicle. Seems to be a good idea to prevent schrathce, dents, etc,
Re: Shipping From Ny To Cotonou Or Lagos Via Acl Grimaldi by KunleA2(m): 8:33am On Feb 27, 2012
Do you have the link? i am not sure what you are talking about.

Don't overthink this pls
Re: Shipping From Ny To Cotonou Or Lagos Via Acl Grimaldi by lovehateNG: 8:38am On Feb 27, 2012
The Range Rover on this page:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-84426.1024.html

got me thinking of car protective covering.

Any one has ideas on how to get this or better car covering and the costs?

Thank youl
Re: Shipping From Ny To Cotonou Or Lagos Via Acl Grimaldi by KunleA2(m): 9:27am On Feb 27, 2012
Any dealership supply outlet can get one for you. You can stop by new car dealers in your area and ask

Shouldnt be hard to get

Regards
Re: Shipping From Ny To Cotonou Or Lagos Via Acl Grimaldi by lovehateNG: 1:51pm On Feb 27, 2012
Thanks, Kunle!
Re: Shipping From Ny To Cotonou Or Lagos Via Acl Grimaldi by Errandplus: 2:44pm On Feb 27, 2012
Do you have a car u want to sell! Send pics and profile to emeraldoptions@yahoo.com

We will ensure you get your car sold in record-speed time!

Send in this format:

*Car :
*Model:
*Year:
*Transmission:
*Exterior Colour:
*Interior Colour:
*Mileage:
*Price: (₦)
*Additional Information:e.g Fog lights,Keyless entry,Power windows, Navigating system, Alloy wheels e.t.c
*Pictures:
Re: Shipping From Ny To Cotonou Or Lagos Via Acl Grimaldi by delaw4u: 10:52pm On Oct 05, 2013
Hello please tell me your experiences 0000 I shiped car from baltimore to lagos I was later told that the car will enroute cotonou please how safe is my car and the shipping line is aes,will my car be safe in cotonou?
Re: Shipping From Ny To Cotonou Or Lagos Via Acl Grimaldi by delaw4u: 11:24pm On Oct 05, 2013
House,
Please share your experiences with me I shipped car from baltimore ports to lagos but I was told now that the car will go through cotonou before it land in lagos pls how sure my car will be safe the shipping line is AES,
Did you ever go through this route how safe is your car
Should I relax my car will be intact
Hope my car will not be vandalize
Thanks
Re: Shipping From Ny To Cotonou Or Lagos Via Acl Grimaldi by USAutoBuy(m): 3:22am On Oct 06, 2013
delaw4u: House,
Please share your experiences with me I shipped car from baltimore ports to lagos but I was told now that the car will go through cotonou before it land in lagos pls how sure my car will be safe the shipping line is AES,
Did you ever go through this route how safe is your car
Should I relax my car will be intact
Hope my car will not be vandalize
Thanks

Your vehicle will not come down in Cotonue. Only the vehicle that is destined for Cotonue will come down. Until you get your car then you know. If its not vandalized in Cotonue. it CAN be vandalized in Lagos. Why are you only having sleepless night over Cotonue alone?
Whatever will be will be. Relax your mind.

(1) (Reply)

sold** sold** Direct 2010 Registered Volkswagen JETTA.... Asking Price: ₦1.150m / Viperman Cars: Check This Thread For Various Cars For Sale! / SELL YOUR CARS IN DAYS! Tested & Proven!! Give it a Trial Now!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.