Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,557 members, 7,809,029 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:24 PM

Ibori Pleads Guilty To Money Laundering Charges In London Court - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ibori Pleads Guilty To Money Laundering Charges In London Court (9578 Views)

London Court Registers N99 Billion Judgment Against Nigerian Military / Suspect Responsible For Nyanya, Kuje Blasts Pleads Guilty / Efcc Slams Sylva With Money Laundering Charges (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ibori Pleads Guilty To Money Laundering Charges In London Court by Ilekokonit: 2:23am On Feb 28, 2012
The percentage of Nigerians that genuinely hate our corrupt leaders are in the minority and therein lies our problem.
Until the percentage of Nigerians that abhor our corrupt lootocrats reach that defining critical mass figure then Nigeria(ns) will continue to be taken for a ride by our heartless rulers.

It is very disheartening when you hear so called educated, well travelled and enlightened Nigerians categorically state emphatically that if they get into political office in Naija that they will also steal. What then is the hope for Nigerias future ?

Does Nigeria have a good future when the so called educated ones are waiting in the wings for their chance to[b] also steal [/b]?

And I am not talking theory here, I am talking about the utterances of Nigerians I meet abroad who I thought should know better about the dangers corruption portends for equitable nation building and prosperity for all.
Re: Ibori Pleads Guilty To Money Laundering Charges In London Court by exotik: 2:39am On Feb 28, 2012
all4naija:

First and foremost, I know you didn't comprehend my comment in the way I meant it to be.In your first paragraph you succeeded in pointing to assertions which are baseless. Though, they seem right in words and are beautifully logical, whereas in the reality they are nothing to write home about.  The leaders don't only represent they also lead - so, don't make the leaders look as helpless as they are not.

leaders are a representation of the people, that is why they lead . . .duh! later u go say na u sabi comprehension

When I mean outside the borders,I mean outsides the of Nigeria which is different from Britain(an already organized society that can stand on their own with the rights tools, from better judicial system to security). Go back in time and read about the British government history - that would give you an eye-opener idea into this ludicrous comparison of yours. I doubt if you take time to read my comments very well.

awww . . . so what u are saying is, the poor citizens in britian could sustain itself and evolved an organized system that would hold their corrupt leaders accountable without needing outside help, but u so-called poor nigerians could not? it seems u are now agreeing with me that u are a failure.

btw, can u clearly state the other societies outside nigeria and britian where their poor citizens have been able to do something u failed at? coz u dont want me "misunderstanding" u again.
Re: Ibori Pleads Guilty To Money Laundering Charges In London Court by Nobody: 2:41am On Feb 28, 2012
Rossikk:

Magicwand said

Look at this ignoramus. You have no idea where I'm typing from. I have seen the world a hundred times more than you have, and what I CAN tell you is that the single most important thing holding black people back is their BELIEF that they are inferior to other races.

Until you shed that satanic belief instilled in you by colonialists, you will continue to suffer. And you will continue to have people like me come on here to put you straight.

India is poorer than Africa, and even more corrupt.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/world/india-far-poorer-than-africa-new-measure-shows/story-e6frg6so-1225891801078

Yet an Indian man will come to YOUR country and you'll be worshipping him!

Despite the fact they are poorer than Africa, you will rarely ever hear an Indian man describe his race as 'cursed' or call for a return of white rule over his country.

When will you FOOOLZ understand that NOBODY on this earth will help you but yourselves, and that you're the equal of others??

You are so blinded by your folly. I really feel bad for you. You are really a half backed nitwit!
Re: Ibori Pleads Guilty To Money Laundering Charges In London Court by Rossikk(m): 2:49am On Feb 28, 2012
quote by engineerd

You are so blinded by your folly. I really feel bad for you. You are really a half backed nitwit!

I'm blinded by your hot air.

I take it you meant 'half-baked'?

I'll forgive your bad spelling seeing that you're probably a school dropout.
Re: Ibori Pleads Guilty To Money Laundering Charges In London Court by Nobody: 2:49am On Feb 28, 2012
exotik:

leaders are a representation of the people, that is why they lead . . .duh! later u go say na u sabi comprehesion

awww . . . so what u are saying is, the poor citizens in britian could sustain itself and evolved an organized system that would hold their corrupt leaders accountable without needing outside help, but u so-called poor nigerians could not? it seems u are now agreeing with me that u are a failure.

btw, can u clearly state the other societies outside nigeria and britian where their poor citizens have been able to do something u failed at? coz u dont want me "misunderstanding" u again.
It is surprising you don't know what representation means and that is not the reason why they lead. They lead because the authority bestowed upon them if not the representation would be mere formality. Representation is an act or to speak on behalf of others where as to lead is to show the way, to command the population to do what you are bind by law to do. In essence, a leader perform these two separate tasks.

Your argument is far none-encouraging as I would have expected it to be.
Re: Ibori Pleads Guilty To Money Laundering Charges In London Court by iiiyyyk(m): 2:52am On Feb 28, 2012
failed leaders
failed judiciary
failed anti graft agencies
failed legislators
failed police

nigerian youths have we failed, if no, lets think of how to help this nation.

i need suggestions on how  youths can engage our leaders without carrying arms or burning the streets to make corruption a shameful act in nigeria
Re: Ibori Pleads Guilty To Money Laundering Charges In London Court by exotik: 3:15am On Feb 28, 2012
all4naija:

It is surprising you don't know what representation mean and that is not the reason why they lead. They lead because the authority bestowed upon them if not the representation would be mere formality. Representation is an act or to speak on behalf of others where as to lead is to show the way, to command the population to do what you are bind by law to do. In essence, a leader perform these two separate tasks.

shooor, see me see trouble ooo. so why would someone be speaking and acting on your behalf, if he is not leading u and showing u the way? would u allow someone who is not leading u speak on ur behalf?  u gave him the authority to lead, that is why he is speaking on ur behalf. so in essence, he is ur respresentative.

Your argument is far none-encouraging as I would have expected it to be.

then a poor nigerian like u should never allow someone like me to respresent u. and when i do, u should be able to cut me off by yaself and not wait david cameroon to do it for u. grin grin
Re: Ibori Pleads Guilty To Money Laundering Charges In London Court by Nobody: 3:33am On Feb 28, 2012
exotik:

shooor, see me see trouble ooo. so why would someone be speaking and acting on your behalf, if he is not leading u and showing u the way? would u allow someone who is not leading u speak on ur behalf?  u gave him the authority to lead, that is why is speaking on ur behalf. so in essence, he is ur respresentative.

then a poor nigerian like u should never allow someone like me to respresent u. and when i do, u should be able to cut me off by yaself and not wait nick cameroon to do it for u. grin grin
Keep bringing in your logical ideas. The very essence of you not comprehending the two separate tasks of a leader makes the argument seemed compounded. To represent is different from lead - leave that idea of if he speaks on your behalf means leads, that is represent not lead - but, if he told you to behave in certain way and follow a path is lead( like War Against Indiscipline, Take the MEND of oil rings, Women rights must be obey by all,etc).

I am tired of explaining the same thing over and over again. I think I am done on this issue for the day.

Thank you.
Re: Ibori Pleads Guilty To Money Laundering Charges In London Court by exotik: 4:00am On Feb 28, 2012
all4naija:

Keep bringing in your logical ideas. The very essence of you not comprehending the two separate tasks of a leader makes the argument seemed compounded. To represent is different from lead - leave that idea of if he speaks on your behalf means leads, that is represent not lead - but, if he told you to behave in certain way and follow a path is lead( like War Against Indiscipline, Take the MEND of oil rings, Women rights must be obey by all,etc).

oh the nuance of english. why will he tell u to follow a path if he is not the one representing u? if u have a court case, a lawyer tells u how to behave in court becos he is the one u chose to represent u. so he is ur leader during the court proceedings.

would a senator from ur constituency go tell abokis from a constituency in zamfara the path to follow when they have their own senator? so whoever u chose to speak on ur behalf is your leader.

I am tired of explaining the same thing over and over again. I think I am done on this issue for the day.

then go sleep. u werent making sense anyway.
Re: Ibori Pleads Guilty To Money Laundering Charges In London Court by exotik: 4:29am On Feb 28, 2012
and it is funny u mentioned "women rights" but when dat woman jubril tried to become president, she got only 1 vote. no other woman voted for her apart from herself. if she had gotten at least 2 or 10 votes she would not have won anyway but it would have been a statement that women tried at all. but nah, not a single woman apart from herself believed she was worthy to represent pdp not to talk of the whole nation. then later nigerian women would be wondering where their "women rights" went to and dey wait for the mary slissors from britain to come save their fat asses. grin grin bunch of losers.
Re: Ibori Pleads Guilty To Money Laundering Charges In London Court by AGBORMAN1(m): 9:22am On Feb 28, 2012
u Could Not Develop My State.
bleeping tHIEF.
mAY U Rot In Hell.
Re: Ibori Pleads Guilty To Money Laundering Charges In London Court by tradewolf: 10:56am On Feb 28, 2012
A few points.
i joined this forum wanting to stimulate intellectual conversation, not to read insults. Make you point
and counter-point and move on. Let's start showing decency and respect from here!
I spent hours mulling over the wretchedness of our situation. Wherever you go in Europe you find
Educated Bright Nigerians in Menial labour, washing toilets etc. There are also Nigerians in
very good positions. The problem i have with the argument that we are better off since independence
is that seems like someone climbing a mountain looking down at how far they have climed and patting themselves on the back
looking for the 150 metres they have climed with out looking up to seem that there is 2 kilometers to go.
Without even looking around to see that the people they started with and the rest of the crowd (Malaysia,
Indonesia) are 200 metres from the summit. Hong Kong was under British rule until the 90's and as a result it thrived.
Maybe it's my background but i refuse to compare my people with mediocrity or inferiority, so i am comparing Nigeria with
other countries that gained independence at the same time like Malaysia, Indonesia (no that the other countries are in
anyway inferior but the are in no way as endowed).
There are several points being argued here but i think it is important that we are discussing them.
So for those who argue that Sub-Sahara Africa is better off under indigenous leadership I urge you
India is a bad comparison! The economies and societies cannot be compared. India is part
of the BRIC block (Brazil, Russia, India,China) with a manufacturing base, they consume and produce.
if someone wanted to locate a production side would they do it in India or Nigeria.
With the exception of South Africa what do we produce?
One last point, there are people such as myself who would dearly love to invest and produce in Nigeria.
But we don't have the culture, the governance and dynamics for development.
We can analyze the problems what how can we really resolve this crises?
How can we have a society that has no place for decency, integrity and honour?
I am not saying the British were great but right now i would rather be under British leadership than Nigerian.
Or some kind of partnered-leadership. I just don't think we can do this by ourselves anymore,
as this case has demonstrated.
What do you thinK?
Re: Ibori Pleads Guilty To Money Laundering Charges In London Court by tradewolf: 11:05am On Feb 28, 2012
My earlier point about finding Nigerians in Menial labour is that the situation in the country has forced people and is forcing people to leave. I for one would dearly love to come back and make a contribution but i am too used to living in a structured and functioning society to know where to even start. Is also seems in the current climate in order to stay alive you have to contribute to the problem. It is so dispiriting to see that people are prepared to go through all sorts of human misery, degredation and disprestect in countries like Lebanon, India, Libya, Yemen, because it is far better than what is on offer in our "Independent Countries" under African leadership.
Re: Ibori Pleads Guilty To Money Laundering Charges In London Court by tpia5: 12:03pm On Feb 28, 2012
Na wa for headline.

The powers that be have really got it in for this guy.

Anyway, i went through the article and it says delta state sold its v mobile shares to akwa ibom state for $37 million?

The states have that kind of money? And isnt delta a bit far from akwa ibom- is there some kind of interaction between them?
Re: Ibori Pleads Guilty To Money Laundering Charges In London Court by Gbawe: 7:43am On Feb 29, 2012
@ Monkeyleg.

My guy, see what I stated earlier illustrated below. It is an insult for anyone to suggest a serious Nation does the sort of sordid plea bargain that saw Igbinedion walk away with a fine after looting a whole State blind. That is tantamount to rewarding and aiding corruption. Systems that develop great Countries simply have no place for such retrogressive practices.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-882427.0.html

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission on Tuesday expressed delight at the confession of ex-governor James Onanefe Ibori before a Southwark Crown Court in London by pleading guilty, saying it awaits the sentencing of the embattled former governor on April 16.

The commission also indicated that the former governor would also be tried in Nigeria after serving his jail terms in the UK.

A statement by the spokesman for the EFCC, Mr. Wilson Uwujaren, said the EFCC had been vindicated that the ex-govenor had a case to answer.

He said, “The interesting aspect of the development in London is the fact that Ibori chickened out of a full blown fraud and money laundering trial by changing his plea.

“This was purely a gambit to run away with a lighter sentence, rather than the product of a plea bargain as erroneously reported earlier in sections of the media. For the avoidance doubt, plea bargain is not recognised in UK criminal justice system.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Scarcity: NNPC Refineries Resume Production Of Kerosene, Diesel / Igbo Remains Most Marginalised Tribe In Nigeria – Nwodo / PDP To Oppose Any Postponement Of Edo, Ondo Polls

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.