Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,902 members, 7,802,927 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:37 AM

The Baking Thread - Food (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / The Baking Thread (39915 Views)

Photo: Wow! This Is An Amazing Exhibition Of Creativity In Baking / My Baking Hobby.. :D / Questions/useful Tips On Cake Baking,decorating Etc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Baking Thread by Lucario007(m): 12:01am On Mar 03, 2012
I love baking - although i can only make pizza, donuts, fish rolls and meat pies- but with this i'm going to try and learn
how to bake a full cake for my niece's birthday! Thanks y me!

ps- can u write down how to make apple pie? she loves that too.
Re: The Baking Thread by lepasharon(f): 12:45am On Mar 03, 2012
can u guys also tell me how how to make a chocolate also,i can make simple cake but i want to know how to do a chocolatey one cheesy
Re: The Baking Thread by Nellyd(f): 4:00am On Mar 03, 2012
I love this. More pls
Re: The Baking Thread by MSItachi: 6:34am On Mar 03, 2012
Are u in abuja, can u make my wedding cake?
Re: The Baking Thread by pendo89(f): 9:01am On Mar 03, 2012
My hobby,baking and melting chocolates.Lovely
Baking requires skill and creativity.
Re: The Baking Thread by Nobody: 9:52am On Mar 03, 2012
Working on a baked chicken recipe i found tonite.

Anyone with a detailed description for how to bake cake the nigerian way? I will be trying the carrot cake though as i love it! grin
Re: The Baking Thread by yme1(f): 3:50pm On Mar 03, 2012
melek:

My icing decorations melts & disappears few seconds after applying it. I used d star decorating tube. What could be d issue? I only mixed Icing sugar wt water &vanilla flavour &colour.
Reduce the amount of water you add and if its really watery increase the amount of your icing sugar
The icing sugar and water in the icing begin to separate over time, so if you haven’t used your piping bags for a few hours, you’ll start to see this happen. How fast it separates depends on how runny your icing is. The runnier it is, the faster it will separate. smiley
Re: The Baking Thread by yme1(f): 4:08pm On Mar 03, 2012
NnamdiN:

Ehm for d non aje's. Could u pls tell us if there's a manual method of doing these? I mean without the machines coz I don't have any and I'd really love to bake my own cake someday.
davidylan:

Working on a baked chicken recipe i found tonite.
Anyone with a detailed description for how to bake cake the nigerian way? I will be trying the carrot cake though as i love it! grin
You don't necessarily need baking equipment to bake a simple nice cake
The mixing can be done with your bare hands grin

Here is a simple baking technique, doesn't require much
Ingredients
285g Self-raising flour
2.5 teaspoons (12.5ml) Baking powder
285g Margarine
285g Caster Sugar
5 Eggs
Raspberry or Strawberry Jam

Buttercream Ingredients
150g Softened Butter
340g Icing Sugar
3 tablespoons (45ml) Warm water

Equipment required
2 greased 8-inch sandwich tins
Sieve
Large mixing bowl
Electric whisk (or ur hands cheesy)

Method for Cake
- Sieve the flour and baking powder into a large bowl
- Add all the other ingredients into the bowl
- Using an electric whisk beat the ingredients together, starting slowly then medium until you get a smooth, creamy consistency
- Divide the mixture between the two sandwich tins and bake at 170 degrees centigrade (340 degrees Fahrenheit) for 30-40 minutes. The cake should be springy to the touch.
- When cooked immediately turn out onto a wire rack.

Tips
Use good quality 8-inch sandwich tins. Line them with greaseproof paper to avoid the cake sticking

If you have a fan oven, do not use the fan feature. Cakes cook much better on the traditional oven setting

Be careful not to use too much jam or buttercream otherwise the cake may slide apart when sandwiched together. Do however spread the jam and buttercream to the edge of the sponges as this will enhance the appearance of the cake

When turning out the cakes onto the wire rack, try turning one out onto a solid surface (like a chopping board) and then put it on the wire rack so that the top of the cake does not get the marks from the wire rack. This will make it look much better.

Re: The Baking Thread by yme1(f): 4:22pm On Mar 03, 2012
Lucario007:

I love baking - although i can only make pizza, donuts, fish rolls and meat pies- but with this i'm going to try and learn
how to bake a full cake for my niece's birthday! Thanks y me!

ps- can u write down how to make apple pie? she loves that too.

APPLE PIE STEP 1
First, you need to make the pastry which will form the base and the top of the apple pie.
Put the margarine and vegetable fat in a mixing bowl and pour in the flour. The yellow 'bricks' in the picture are margarine, the white bricks are the vegetable fat.

Re: The Baking Thread by yme1(f): 4:26pm On Mar 03, 2012
APPLE PIE STEP 2
Mix it all together with your hands until you have a crumbly texture. This stage should only take a minute

Re: The Baking Thread by yme1(f): 4:27pm On Mar 03, 2012
APPLE PIE STEP 3
Add 3 tablespoons of water to the pastry and mix it in with a knife. Then use your hands to mould the pastry mix into a ball. Wrap the pastry ball in cling film and put it in the fridge to 'rest' for half an hour.

Re: The Baking Thread by yme1(f): 4:28pm On Mar 03, 2012
APPLE PIE STEP 4
After half an hour, take the pastry from the fridge, and separate roughly two thirds of it. Roll the pastry out with a rolling pin so that it is large enough to line the base and sides of the pie dish. Use several sprinklings of flour on the rolling pin and the surface used for rolling the pastry.
Put the dish over the rolled pastry to make sure it is about the correct size (see picture).

Re: The Baking Thread by yme1(f): 4:30pm On Mar 03, 2012
APPLE PIE STEP 5 & 6

The idea is to pick up the rolled out pastry and put it in the dish to form the base of the apple pie.

First, lightly roll 50% or so of the flattened pastry over the rolling pin. Then support the rest with your hand and transfer it to top of the dish.

Gently ease into the base of the dish and firm it round the sides.

Re: The Baking Thread by yme1(f): 4:31pm On Mar 03, 2012
APPLE PIE STEP 7
If the pastry does break at all, it's not a disaster, just do your best to cover the base and sides.
Then trim off the excess pastry from the top. Do this with the 'blunt' side of a knife - the blunt side is far less likely to tear the pastry.

Turn your oven on now so that it's pre-heated ready to cook later on. Heat settings are 220°C / 425°F / Gas Mark 7.

Re: The Baking Thread by yme1(f): 4:33pm On Mar 03, 2012
APPLE PIE STEP 8

Now is the time to peel the cooking apples, cut them into quarters and then slice them.
Each quarter should produce roughly 8 to 10 slices. Accuracy is not so important. The thicker the slices, the more firm the apple mixture will be when it has been cooked.

Re: The Baking Thread by yme1(f): 4:33pm On Mar 03, 2012
APPLE PIE STEP 9

Place the apple slices into the pie bowl on top of the base pastry.
Do this in three layers, scattering a third of the sugar on each layer.

Using water and a pastry brush (or your wet fingers) dampen the top edge of the pastry. This will help the top pastry to attach firmly to it better.

Re: The Baking Thread by yme1(f): 4:38pm On Mar 03, 2012
APPLE PIE STEP 10

Take the remaining third of the pastry and roll it out with the rolling pin into a circle that is a little bit bigger than the top of the dish.
Transfer the rolled out pastry to the top of the pie using the rolling pin in the same way described for the base pastry.

Tuck the pastry down at the edge and remove the excess pastry using the blunt edge of a knife

Using both hands, 'crimp' the pastry round the edge of the pie to obtain an attractive finish

Finally make 2 holes in the top of the pastry to allow the steam to come out during cooking and prevent the top going soggy.

Lightly brush the top with a little milk to give it a light brown colour when cooked.

Put the apple pie in the pre-heated oven (220°C / 425°F / Gas Mark 7) and leave it cooking at that temperature for 10 minutes. Then turn down the heat to 190°C / 375°F / Gas Mark 5 and cook for a further 40 minutes.
When it is cooked, leave to cool for at least 15 minutes before serving.

Beware, apple pie can stay really hot for an hour or so.

Serve hot or cold with ice cream, cream or custard.

In the unlikely event that there is any left over, cover the dish with tin foil and it will keep fine in the fridge for a couple of days.

Re: The Baking Thread by yme1(f): 4:51pm On Mar 03, 2012
oladamx:

I love dis thread,  But can u teach me how to make chocolate brownies or cookies,  Really want to learn more about chocolate

This is your basic chocolate cookie from scratch recipe that allows you to make 101  grin variations to delight the palette and loved ones. It is so simple and quick

Ingredients
1 cup of all-purpose flour
1/4 cup of cocoa powder
1/2 tsp of baking powder
1/2 tsp of baking soda
1 dash of salt
1 cup of sugar
1 beaten egg
1 tsp of vanilla extract
5 Tbsp of melted butter
1/2 cup of melted chocolate semi-sweet morsels

Instructions
1. Preheat oven to 350F or 180C.
2. Mix the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together.
3. Mix the sugar, melted butter, vanilla extract and the beaten egg until creamy
4. Mix in creamy mixture from step 4 into the melted semi-sweet chocolate morsels
5. Mix in the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients little by little
6. Form into 1 inch round balls and place on a cookie sheet evenly spread apart
7. Bake in oven for 12 minutes or until done.
8. Let cool for 10 minutes before removing from cookie sheet.

Re: The Baking Thread by yme1(f): 4:59pm On Mar 03, 2012
lepasharon:

can u guys also tell me how how to make a chocolate also,i can make simple cake but i want to know how to do a chocolatey one cheesy
Ingredients

Ingredients
100g butter , diced, plus extra for greasing
flour , for dusting
140g best-quality dark chocolate , with 70% cocoa solids, broken into pieces
6 large eggs , separated
140g ground almonds
1 tbsp kirsch or Cointreau (optional)
pinch of salt
85g caster sugar
cocoa powder and crème to serve

Method
Preheat the oven to 170C/Gas 3/fan oven 150C. Grease a 23cm/9in springform cake tin and line the base with greaseproof paper or baking parchment. Dust the sides with a little flour. Put the chocolate and butter into a heatproof bowl set over a pan of gently simmering water. Heat until melted, then remove the bowl from the pan and stir until smooth. Leave for about 5 minutes to cool slightly.

Stir in the egg yolks, ground almonds, and the liqueur, if using. Put the egg whites into a large bowl, add a pinch of salt and whisk until soft peaks form. Continue whisking, sprinkling in the sugar a little at a time, until stiff peaks form. Stir 2 tablespoons of the whites into the chocolate mixture, then carefully fold in the remainder until no traces of white are left.

Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 30-35 minutes until well risen and just firm to the touch. Cool in the tin (don't worry if the cake sinks and cracks slightly - it will still be fine). You can make the cake up to this stage up to four days ahead and keep it in an airtight container in a cool place. It also freezes well for up to one month.

To serve, remove the cake from the tin and peel away the lining paper. Sift cocoa powder liberally over the top and cut into slices. Serve with crème

Re: The Baking Thread by yme1(f): 5:02pm On Mar 03, 2012
MSItachi:

Are u in abuja, can u make my wedding cake?

awwww not up to that stage yet dear and I don't live in Abuja
Congratulations!!! wink
Re: The Baking Thread by Natasha2(f): 5:03pm On Mar 03, 2012
nice thread
Re: The Baking Thread by yme1(f): 5:10pm On Mar 03, 2012
Nellyd:

I love this. More pls
Natasha,,:

nice thread
kiss kiss kiss
Re: The Baking Thread by Lucario007(m): 5:32pm On Mar 03, 2012
thank you, thank you! i'm in love with you this thread!
I'm gonna start baking this tomorrow! As soon as i buy all the ingredients.
Re: The Baking Thread by melek: 6:12pm On Mar 03, 2012
cheesy
Re: The Baking Thread by MSItachi: 6:17pm On Mar 03, 2012
y me:

awwww not up to that stage yet dear and I don't live in Abuja
Congratulations!!! wink

Thanks, does wedding cake require any other speciality or is it the design aspect ?
Re: The Baking Thread by lepasharon(f): 7:12pm On Mar 03, 2012
thank you very much y me cheesy
Re: The Baking Thread by Nobody: 2:21pm On Mar 04, 2012
pls lets see the recipes for pastries that can be done with wholewheat flour. cuz i'm on diet but still love pastries so i was wondering if there are pastries that one can bake without sugar and wholewheatflour. thanks
Re: The Baking Thread by yme1(f): 5:33pm On Mar 05, 2012
yinx007:

pls lets see the recipes for pastries that can be done with wholewheat flour. cuz i'm on diet but still love pastries so i was wondering if there are pastries that one can bake without sugar and wholewheatflour. thanks
I kinda lost there, with or with out?

Diet Banana Cake with whole wheat flour

Ingredients
100 g butter, salted
1 cup sugar (you can use diet sugar)
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 eggs
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp lemon juice
3 super ripe almost black, bananas, mashed to a goo
1/2 cup skimmed milk

Method
Cream the butter and the sugar together till fluffy. Then add the beaten eggs and mix lightly. In a bowl, mix thoroughly, the whole wheat flour, the baking soda, baking powder. To the sugar and egg mixture, add the mashed bananas and lime juice and mix. Now add the flour mixture to the banana mixture and mix thoroughly. Add milk to make a batter which falls like a thick ribbon. Prepare (grease and dust with flour) a large square or round baking tin, pour the batter into it and bake at 180 degrees celcius for 30-35 minutes, till a skewer inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.

Re: The Baking Thread by yme1(f): 5:36pm On Mar 05, 2012
MSItachi:

Thanks, does wedding cake require any other speciality or is it the design aspect ?
Yeah its more about the design and it requires loads of specialty  grin
check out this link, they bake for weddings etc and they reside in Abuja
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-877424.0.html#top

lepasharon:

thank you very much y me cheesy
Lol!! u are welcome
Re: The Baking Thread by bece: 8:31pm On Mar 05, 2012
@msltachi I stay in abuja and can make Ʊ a wedding xcake fit for the royals.check my site www.tasteofheaven.gnbo.comg/ng
Re: The Baking Thread by dollya(f): 1:19pm On Mar 07, 2012
nice thread kiss kiss kiss
here is my  recipe for peanut butter cookies

INGREDIENTS
• 1/2 cup sugar
• 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
• 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
• 1/2 cup peanut butter
• 1 egg
• 1 1/4 cup flour
• 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
METHOD
1 Beat the butter until creamy, 2 minutes. Add the sugars, beat for 2 more minutes. Mix in the peanut butter and egg. Mix together the dry ingredients - flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Stir the dry ingredients into the sugar butter mixture.
2 Wrap dough in plastic and refrigerate at least 3 hours.

3 Preheat oven to 375°F. Shape dough into 1 1/4 inch balls. Place about 3 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Flatten in crisscross pattern with a fork. Bake until light brown, 9 to 10 minutes. Cool on baking sheets for a minute; transfer to rack to cool completely.
For chewier cookies, bake at 300°F for 15 minutes.
Re: The Baking Thread by yme1(f): 1:32pm On Mar 08, 2012
dolly a:

nice thread kiss kiss kiss
here is my recipe for peanut butter cookies

INGREDIENTS
• 1/2 cup sugar
• 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
• 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
• 1/2 cup peanut butter
• 1 egg
• 1 1/4 cup flour
• 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
METHOD
1 Beat the butter until creamy, 2 minutes. Add the sugars, beat for 2 more minutes. Mix in the peanut butter and egg. Mix together the dry ingredients - flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Stir the dry ingredients into the sugar butter mixture.
2 Wrap dough in plastic and refrigerate at least 3 hours.

3 Preheat oven to 375°F. Shape dough into 1 1/4 inch balls. Place about 3 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Flatten in crisscross pattern with a fork. Bake until light brown, 9 to 10 minutes. Cool on baking sheets for a minute; transfer to rack to cool completely.
For chewier cookies, bake at 300°F for 15 minutes.

Nice one dear wink kiss

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

What I Bought From Market With 10k / See Pictures Of The Hawk My Dad Killed / The Food Items I Bought For Less Than N4000 Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.