Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,368 members, 7,781,005 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 07:21 AM

James Ibori: How A Thief Almost Became Nigeria's President - Bbc - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / James Ibori: How A Thief Almost Became Nigeria's President - Bbc (13047 Views)

‪historyclass‬: Who Sold (what Became) Nigeria To The British For £865k In 1899? / Ibori, Others To Complete Jail Terms In Nigeria / James Ibori: How A Thief Almost Became Nigeria's President. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

James Ibori: How A Thief Almost Became Nigeria's President - Bbc by monkeyleg: 8:34pm On Feb 27, 2012
BBC have really nailed Ibori

27 February 2012 Last updated at 18:54 Share this pageEmail Print Share this page

ShareFacebookTwitter.James Ibori: How a thief almost became Nigeria's presidentBy Andrew Walker

Nigeria analyst

Continue reading the main story
Related Stories
Nigeria official 'stole millions'
Nigeria country profile

The story of how James Ibori went from convicted thief in London in the 1990s, to become governor of a wealthy oil-producing Nigerian state and then to a British prison is a remarkable one.

It is the story of a wily political operator, backing the right political horses and shifting allegiances when expedient.

Given slightly different circumstances, according to one observer, it could have seen Ibori in the presidential villa rather than a British jail cell.

Ibori's defence in the face of allegations had always been that he had a successful business career and had made money independent of government.

But in 1991, he was working in a hardware store in the London suburb of Neasden.

Some of Ibori's assets were in the name of his wife, sister and mistress
The prosecution in this trial told a judge he was earning around £15,000 ($24,000) a year.

He was caught by his employer allowing his wife to walk through the till he was manning without paying for goods.

They both pleaded guilty at Isleworth Crown Court and were fined.

In 1992, he was convicted for possession of a stolen credit card, which had £1,000 spent on it, and was again fined in a UK court.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-17184075
Re: James Ibori: How A Thief Almost Became Nigeria's President - Bbc by Kilode1: 9:09pm On Feb 27, 2012
The story of how James Ibori went from convicted thief in London in the 1990s, to become governor of a wealthy oil-producing Nigerian state and then to a British prison is a remarkable one.

It is also a very contemporary Nigerian story.

Here, we are great at recycling scumbags and thieves like Ibori. Then we reward them with public office.

On the streets it's called "Naija Sharpness" SMDH
Re: James Ibori: How A Thief Almost Became Nigeria's President - Bbc by Kilode1: 9:27pm On Feb 27, 2012
BTW, Didn't he also steal some construction materials at his former Nigeria workplace before he became a "bigman" ?

Yet Obasanjo, IBB, Anenih and co, (Thieves in their own rights) imposed him on the people of Delta State.
Re: James Ibori: How A Thief Almost Became Nigeria's President - Bbc by snowdrops(m): 9:50pm On Feb 27, 2012
All post-biafra Nigerian presidents are thieves. So this is a non-story.

Ibori stepped on wrong toes hence his incaceration.
Re: James Ibori: How A Thief Almost Became Nigeria's President - Bbc by Alxmyr(m): 10:04pm On Feb 27, 2012
snowdrops:

So we should clap for and cheer him up abi?
Re: James Ibori: How A Thief Almost Became Nigeria's President - Bbc by Yeske2(m): 10:27pm On Feb 27, 2012
Too bad
Alxmyr:

I tire for snowdrops o
Re: James Ibori: How A Thief Almost Became Nigeria's President - Bbc by snowdrops(m): 10:38pm On Feb 27, 2012
Alxmyr:

This is no news. If a dog bites a man, its no news, but what is news is when a man bites dog.

Common; what did you learn from that article? That an ex-nigerian governor stole money? Or that he has been found guilty by the British criminal justice system. Newsflash!! indeed.
Re: James Ibori: How A Thief Almost Became Nigeria's President - Bbc by snowdrops(m): 10:39pm On Feb 27, 2012
Yeske!:

Too bad I tire for snowdrops o
Ok na. I tire too.
Re: James Ibori: How A Thief Almost Became Nigeria's President - Bbc by Finecat(m): 10:47pm On Feb 27, 2012
snowdrops:

I bet this guy is from Ibori area. We know all of them stole money and i don't care if a Lion bite a man crap. It would give me a great deal of pleasure if all the thieves are caught and tried but i will rejoice over Ibori's case pending the time all the thieves will account for their looting, then my rejoice will be full. I pray for the day that all the bastards are put to shame like Ibori's shame. From Obasanjo, Atiku, Alaafin of Oyo, Kalu, Akala, IBB etc.
Re: James Ibori: How A Thief Almost Became Nigeria's President - Bbc by Sunofgod(m): 10:51pm On Feb 27, 2012
Ibori / Abacha 2024
Re: James Ibori: How A Thief Almost Became Nigeria's President - Bbc by snowdrops(m): 10:55pm On Feb 27, 2012
Finecat:

I pray for the day that all the bastards are put to shame like Ibori's shame. From Obasanjo, Atiku, Alaafin of Oyo, Kalu, Akala, IBB etc.
Then wait till you old and your brochus grow dada. Yeye fowl.
Re: James Ibori: How A Thief Almost Became Nigeria's President - Bbc by Finecat(m): 11:05pm On Feb 27, 2012
snowdrops:

Then wait till you old and your brochus grow dada. Yeye fowl.

Na your Papa and Mama be fowl. Omo Ale! This is why Nigeria is in trouble, when clowns like this @$$wipe sing the praises of thieves and Thugs.
Re: James Ibori: How A Thief Almost Became Nigeria's President - Bbc by Lasinoh: 11:20pm On Feb 27, 2012
So, which Nigerian politician is not a thief?
All have records as ex-cons!  kiss
Ibori is a victim of his arrogance like Alams period!
Make we hia word!
Tinubu nor push drug for America? Yoruba peeps were jubilating when he escaped EFCC net!
Even his children and concubines on NL.
Hypocrites! grin

Ibori, go to the damn jail!
Come out, and I will throw you a huge party!!!
Being an ex-con is a badge of honor in African politics!
Ask Mandela! cheesy
Re: James Ibori: How A Thief Almost Became Nigeria's President - Bbc by polokor60(m): 11:43pm On Feb 27, 2012
Lasinoh:

So, which Nigerian politician is not a thief?
All have records as ex-cons!  kiss
Ibori is a victim of his arrogance like Alams period!
Make we hia word!
Tinubu nor push drug for America? Yoruba peeps were jubilating when he escaped EFCC net!
Even his children and concubines on NL.
Hypocrites! grin

Ibori, go to the damn jail!
Come out, and I will throw you a huge party!!!
Being an ex-con is a badge of honor in African politics!
Ask Mandela! cheesy
abeg non vex ooo,u be 'okpomor'.it's a compliment oooo. tongue cheesy wink
Re: James Ibori: How A Thief Almost Became Nigeria's President - Bbc by nagoma(m): 9:18am On Feb 28, 2012
@Snowdrops;

This is no news. If a dog bites a man, its no news, but what is news is when a man bites dog.

Common; what did you learn from that article? That an ex-nigerian governor stole money? Or that he has been found guilty by the British criminal justice system. Newsflash!! indeed.

Ibori was not just an ex Nigerian Governor , he was was a thief in his own right, a convicted crimnal who forged his way into getting a mortgage, a credit card fraudstar , actually a hardened criminal. He must be regarded as such and stop the evil suggestions that because other people also commit crimes then we can glorify criminals and it is okay.
Re: James Ibori: How A Thief Almost Became Nigeria's President - Bbc by reindeer: 9:19am On Feb 28, 2012
''How a thief almost became Nigeria's president''

Big deal. There's one in the seat now.
Re: James Ibori: How A Thief Almost Became Nigeria's President - Bbc by omo9ja1(m): 9:20am On Feb 28, 2012
I no be thief , you be chief

I no be robber , you be armed robber

Fela don talk finish

padi padi govt

wayo wayo govt
Re: James Ibori: How A Thief Almost Became Nigeria's President - Bbc by obongoboy: 9:40am On Feb 28, 2012
you'v made my day. one is sitting in Aso rock As WE speak , bastards
Re: James Ibori: How A Thief Almost Became Nigeria's President - Bbc by MyVicky: 9:41am On Feb 28, 2012
, In the paraphrased words of Hon. Patrick Obiagbon, it is regrettably lugubrious that in a country that is so blessed with oil, natural and unrivaled human resources, the citizenry still inadvertently support and vote for the political cabals who have no other agenda than to impoverish the nation, siphon her income and bequeath penury to the succeeding generation. I wonder how 'Ibori' and his likes were and are still able to maneuver their ways to the various State's houses in Nigeria? No wonder the country has next to nothing to show for her abundant endowment of natural and human resources! Until the people of this country unitedly rise up and say, 'enough is enough', I fear the situation might just continue as it has been from time immemorial. It's good this man was found guilty and I honestly wish countless others like him would be brought to book and our dear nation be cleansed of corruption and corrupt officers!!!    .
Re: James Ibori: How A Thief Almost Became Nigeria's President - Bbc by SamMilla1(m): 9:44am On Feb 28, 2012
Not that what he did was good but so what ? Kudos to british authorities but what about other thieves who are looting as we speak ? Ibori pissed the wrong guys. Ibb, obj, sylva, ribadu, el rufai, all the governors of the 36 states, all the local govt chairmen, all of them are the samething here. Seriously the only nigerian leader i loved was late yar adua.
Re: James Ibori: How A Thief Almost Became Nigeria's President - Bbc by oiseworld: 9:47am On Feb 28, 2012
how a thief almost became president' Ibb/2011/2007, atiku/2011/2007.Buhari/2003/2007/2011/, ,
Re: James Ibori: How A Thief Almost Became Nigeria's President - Bbc by Beaf1: 9:50am On Feb 28, 2012
The father of all of them is in Segenal now!
Re: James Ibori: How A Thief Almost Became Nigeria's President - Bbc by Beaf1: 9:55am On Feb 28, 2012
James Ibothief

Re: James Ibori: How A Thief Almost Became Nigeria's President - Bbc by babaowo: 9:58am On Feb 28, 2012
"which government we have that never steal" paran paran!!! "They ask president shagari,nd shagari don talk b4 say nah emty treasury he meet 4 there" paran paran!!! If i sing say water no dey? Nah old news e be dat! Old old news be dat ooo!!! Nah old new e be dat! If i sing say mis-management nah old news e be dat, old old news be dat ooo!!!, RIP FELA ANIKULAPO KUTI.
Re: James Ibori: How A Thief Almost Became Nigeria's President - Bbc by doctokwus: 10:00am On Feb 28, 2012
How very common is d story of Ibori,severally convicted petty thief controlling d destinies of men& d finances of a people.If we av a proper police or security force,I doubt if 5% of people who rule us today will still b in their positions.Ibori in d nigerian context only caught& being brought to book because he made d miscalculation of fleeing abroad where laws are upheld& justice obtained,it wasn't bc of not alligning wt d present powers that b.If he had stayed in nigeria despite his affiliations,d very worse he wud av got was probably relinquishing 20-40% of his known wealth while still remaining a godfather& political juggernaught.
It may just remain a dream dat Ibori's faith befalls all those that lord it over our lives while secretly or "open confidentially" are worse than him
Re: James Ibori: How A Thief Almost Became Nigeria's President - Bbc by aribisala0(m): 10:13am On Feb 28, 2012
There is no headline here!

Thieves have already been President.Many times
Re: James Ibori: How A Thief Almost Became Nigeria's President - Bbc by nadico(m): 10:16am On Feb 28, 2012
Please im pleading with the metropolitan police to help us with many more convictions. Shame to the nigerian judiciary.
Re: James Ibori: How A Thief Almost Became Nigeria's President - Bbc by babyboy3(m): 10:25am On Feb 28, 2012
shame

Re: James Ibori: How A Thief Almost Became Nigeria's President - Bbc by SamMilla1(m): 10:26am On Feb 28, 2012
The topic should be " HOW ANOTHER THIEF FAILED TO BECOME NIGERIAN PRESIDENT" not much differnces between all of them,
Re: James Ibori: How A Thief Almost Became Nigeria's President - Bbc by room702(m): 10:27am On Feb 28, 2012
i  can bet my last kobo that BBC will make sure this story makes the 6pm news and its not just to embarrasss the bastard ibori guy but just to embarrass Nigerians.
Re: James Ibori: How A Thief Almost Became Nigeria's President - Bbc by antartica(m): 10:30am On Feb 28, 2012
Is there anything like detailed police background check for any aspiring public of holder and those that deal with children like teachers? Anyway,child abuse is legal in nigeria and nigeria doesnt have a police force,the police themselves need basic criminal and mental background check which will rule out 99.9 percent of the for. As it is now,nigeria is in practice a rogue state because the rule of law is not applicabe. Our leaders,police and judiciary are all criminals.
Re: James Ibori: How A Thief Almost Became Nigeria's President - Bbc by brainpulse: 10:36am On Feb 28, 2012
This is no longer news, all Nigerians knows we are being ruled by thieves, it is only the one caught that will be label by the true name "OLE", "BARAO"

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Kaduna Government Warns Against Circulation Of Inciting Images / Abandoned Landmine In Ngala Kills 3 Children, Injures 3 Others In Borno / Labour Party Crisis: Court Refuses To Lift Abure’s Suspension As National Chairm

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.