Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,417 members, 7,800,883 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 08:26 AM

self-service Controversy: Pastors Blast Oyakhilome - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / self-service Controversy: Pastors Blast Oyakhilome (20043 Views)

Pastor Anita Oyakhilome Debuts New Look (Photo) / Kumuyi Offers To Resign Over Son's Wedding Controversy / Pastor Chris Oyakhilome- self-service Is Not A Sin. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

self-service Controversy: Pastors Blast Oyakhilome by chuks49(m): 9:32am On Feb 28, 2012
Pastors in Nigeria have lambasted the founder, Christ Embassy, Pastor Chris Oyakhilome over his comment that masturbation is not a sin against God but a mere habit that God is not angry about.

Since the controversial pastor made the comment recently, angry reactions have been pouring in from Christendom over what they called heresy, being preached by the pastor, which negates the words of God.

Oyakhilome was asked by one of his pastors how one could overcome masturbation and he replied that “the reason you are thinking of stopping it (masturbation) is because you think it has become a habit for you… masturbation is not more than a habit than any other habit.

“So once you make up your mind that you want to break a particular habit, you just do it, you make up your mind… in fact the best way to break a habit is to replace it with another habit.

“There is one thing I would like to bring to your mind that may be of help to you because the reason you are thinking of stopping this is because of what you think it is.”

He added that “no matter how wrong you think this is in your mind, get this straight, in itself, it is not a sin against God,” emphasising that as a result of this belief that it is a sin, Satan used it to oppress people of God “making them feel ineffective an inefficient in the things of God.”

Reacting to Oyakhilome’s comment, the Prelate, Methodist Church Nigeria, Dr. Ola Makinde said there was only one way of having sex permitted by God in the Bible, which is only through marriage.

“There is only one way of having sex in the Bible which is natural. Masturbation is unnatural and unethical. Whatever is unnatural and unethical is abomination. I leave him to his own opinion,” he said.

According to Pastor Tunde Bakare of the Latter Rain Assembly, every believer must be able to subject his body to control because it could lead to something else.

Popular Evangelist, Pastor Akin Fasawe said Masturbation is a sin as stipulated in the Bible, saying that death was even recommended in the Bible for those who practiced such things.

“Masturbation is a sin because when you masturbate, you will release. If the minister of God said masturbation is not a sin, he can easily tell his church that fornication is not a sin. The Bible recommends death in the Old Testament,” he stated.

According to Primate Elijah Ayodele of the INRI Evangelical Church, it is stated clearly in the Bible that masturbation is a sin against God.

“That is his own view. Where did he see it in the Bible that masturbation is not a sin? Maybe he has his own Bible. It is a bad thing. Maybe it is in his Bible,” he laughed.

Pastor Akin Akande of the Men of Purpose Ministry stated that masturbation is a sin.

“It is like abusing the gift of God. It is heresy. The Bible says it is a sin to derive pleasure outside the content of marriage,” he added.

Pastor Leke Akinola of the Upper Room Baptist, said self induced masturbation is a sin against God and that it is heresy for any minister of God to say it is not a sin.

According to Rev. Sam Ogedengbe, “masturbation is a sin and it is unbiblical. It is demonic and anyone engaging in it should know that it has spiritual connection.”

http://news2.onlinenigeria.com/headlines/142899-nigerian-pastors-blast-oyakhilome-on-masturbation-controversy.html

1 Like

Re: self-service Controversy: Pastors Blast Oyakhilome by shagaman: 12:26pm On Feb 28, 2012
The pastor who asked the self service question fit don d̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ service himself d guy just wan clear him eyez, now c wetin he cause, all those kesington hair followers come and defend Mr TAkeit oo
Re: self-service Controversy: Pastors Blast Oyakhilome by dare2think: 12:27pm On Feb 28, 2012
Religion = Confusion

Which 'man of God' are we to believe now?

They seem to have different instructions from God? or do we have more than one God?
Re: self-service Controversy: Pastors Blast Oyakhilome by Nobody: 12:28pm On Feb 28, 2012
Even those saying it's a sin according to the bible forgot to drop the bible chapter and verse where it is written. It is not just enough to say is a sin, u must show prove.

2 Likes

Re: self-service Controversy: Pastors Blast Oyakhilome by freecocoa(f): 12:29pm On Feb 28, 2012
Abegi let them let us hear word,let them show us where its written in the Bible.
Re: self-service Controversy: Pastors Blast Oyakhilome by oba009(m): 12:30pm On Feb 28, 2012
wetin be sel service itself? is it masturbation or what can anyone answer me pls.
Re: self-service Controversy: Pastors Blast Oyakhilome by oba009(m): 12:32pm On Feb 28, 2012
it is MASTURBATION or what is self service?
Re: self-service Controversy: Pastors Blast Oyakhilome by ugosly(m): 12:32pm On Feb 28, 2012
All the people mentioned above are no match for Pastor Chris when it comes to indepth extrapolation and teaching of the Word,
Re: self-service Controversy: Pastors Blast Oyakhilome by dare2think: 12:33pm On Feb 28, 2012
^^^
and 'Miracle dramatization'
Re: self-service Controversy: Pastors Blast Oyakhilome by Ranoscky(m): 12:37pm On Feb 28, 2012
@Oba009, it means - ma$turbate.
Re: self-service Controversy: Pastors Blast Oyakhilome by lucabraski(f): 12:42pm On Feb 28, 2012
PASTOR CHRIS IS ONLY DEFENDING WHAT HE DOES REGULARLY. AS A MAN WHO IS ESTRANGED FROM HIS WIFE, HOW DO YOU PEOPLE EXPECT HIM TO COPE?

CARRY ON PASTOR CHRIS AND CONTINUE TO HELP YOURSELF grin grin grin

BUT BE WARNED THAT TOO MUCH OF ANYTHING HAS NEGATIVE EFFECT.
Re: self-service Controversy: Pastors Blast Oyakhilome by babaowo: 12:49pm On Feb 28, 2012
signs of end time.

1 Like

Re: self-service Controversy: Pastors Blast Oyakhilome by Toks2008(m): 12:49pm On Feb 28, 2012
Some of us see self-service as improper and dirty but Which Bible passages or chapters speak about it being bad to self-service? It doesn't have to use the word, just imply self-servicing. I am trying to find all I can that is Biblical on the subject. Thank you!

Please don't tell me what God thinks about it, SHOW me with Bible Passages. I am aware that the majority of people think God despises it, but I want to know where they got the idea. was it from the Bible or from their Pastors and Priests?

The Scripture is strangely silent about this universal issue, while not shy about all sorts of other intimate situations and perversions,  in great detail concerning sex with animals, etc. Yet the Bible says nothing about self-service. This is odd, don't you think?

Some, mistakenly, cite Onan in Gen 38:9 as suggesting that self-service is a sin. In fact, "onanism" has become a synonym for self-service. But this is obviously an error, and a rather daft one at that. We know what Onan did, for it is spelled out for us in lurid detail; and we know why it was a sin: he was maliciously using and cheating Tamar in way that was wrong. In any case, what Onan was doing was certainly not self-servicing, and you have to be pretty dimwitted to miss this.

In fact, there is no place in scripture where self-service is even mentioned, much less forbidden. This is a very odd situation since it is so common a human experience, and given that scripture speaks of other intimate sins (some fairly perverse and rare) without any shyness at all.

Since scripture does not forbid self-service directly, neither should Christians in general. "Nothing beyond what is written" in terms of how we should help lead others to the Lord is the rule. But since this case has been so controvercial, as the case may be, lets take a look at best answer we can using what we do know from scripture as our guide. We should stick to emphasizing the things God has told us are important, and not be teaching things that the Lord has never expressed His opinion on.

Pease visit this link to read more maybe we will have more insight.
http://www.acts17-11.com/dialogs_masturbation.html

1 Like

Re: self-service Controversy: Pastors Blast Oyakhilome by Nobody: 12:54pm On Feb 28, 2012
Anything that u do that ur inner man doesnt feel comfortable about afetr doing it, to me it's a sin. If indeed pastor chris said this, then he has just tacictly endorsed fornication. Na wao!

3 Likes

Re: self-service Controversy: Pastors Blast Oyakhilome by jspac(m): 12:56pm On Feb 28, 2012
oba009:

it is self-service or what is self service?
тasturbation A.K.A OGC
Re: self-service Controversy: Pastors Blast Oyakhilome by jspac(m): 12:56pm On Feb 28, 2012
lucabraski:

PASTOR CHRIS IS ONLY DEFENDING WHAT HE DOES REGULARLY. AS A MAN WHO IS ESTRANGED FROM HIS WIFE, HOW DO YOU PEOPLE EXPECT HIM TO COPE?

CARRY ON PASTOR CHRIS AND CONTINUE TO HELP YOURSELF grin grin grin

BUT BE WARNED THAT TOO MUCH OF ANYTHING HAS NEGATIVE EFFECT.
shagaman:

The pastor who asked the self service question fit don d̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ service himself d guy just wan clear him eyez, now c wetin he cause, all those kesington hair followers come and defend Mr TAkeit oo

*Falls-from-coconut-tree*
Re: self-service Controversy: Pastors Blast Oyakhilome by ifyalways(f): 12:58pm On Feb 28, 2012
Pst Chris speaks and the whole christendom is on fire.The man is indeed very important that everyone needs to respond to every bs that he spits.
Re: self-service Controversy: Pastors Blast Oyakhilome by lilkech(m): 1:00pm On Feb 28, 2012
Lemme ask a question

if konji dey catch me and i no get babe, make i

1. self-service

2. RUN GO FIND ARSHIAWO

?

Im confused
Re: self-service Controversy: Pastors Blast Oyakhilome by ayodele123(m): 1:03pm On Feb 28, 2012
Quote from Toks2008
''Some of us see self-service as improper and dirty but Which Bible passages or chapters speak about it being bad to self-service? It doesn't have to use the word, just imply self-servicing. I am trying to find all I can that is Biblical on the subject. Thank you!''

@Toks2008
 Please read 1 Corinthians 6:9, 1 Timothy 1:10 & Romans 1:27
 These verses talk about the sex perversion acts which include masturbation, homosexualism, lesbianism, MouthAction and anal sex.
 In 1 Corinthians 6:9, one of the sins listed is 'abusers of themselves with mankind'' and masturbation comes under this. In my Dake's Reference Bible, it is described as un-natural offences i.e. deriving sexual pleasure outside marital sex

2 Likes

Re: self-service Controversy: Pastors Blast Oyakhilome by Demainman1: 1:03pm On Feb 28, 2012
Mas2bation is not a SIN just like IN-CEST is also not a SIN but a BAD HABIT abi? Pst CHRIS  grin cheesy grin
Re: self-service Controversy: Pastors Blast Oyakhilome by jspac(m): 1:04pm On Feb 28, 2012
Dem blast am with bomb abi na with gun? grin
Re: self-service Controversy: Pastors Blast Oyakhilome by Iolo(m): 1:05pm On Feb 28, 2012
Pastor Chris said what he said based on his understand while the other pastors oppose his view based on their own understanding.

Don't think there's any clear cut place in the bible that dissuades self-service or even infers it to mean fornication or sex @ all.

Self service is not a sin onto itself. Whether you think of 70 virgins while serving yourself is another matter entirely.
Re: self-service Controversy: Pastors Blast Oyakhilome by freecocoa(f): 1:07pm On Feb 28, 2012
valacious:

Anything that u do that ur inner man doesnt feel comfortable about afetr doing it, to me it's a sin. If indeed pastor chris said this, then he has just tacictly endorsed fornication. Na wao!
And who told you people don't feel comfortable after doing it?oh i guess you are speaking for yourself.
Re: self-service Controversy: Pastors Blast Oyakhilome by betabeta: 1:13pm On Feb 28, 2012
"'When a man has an emission of Fluid, he must bathe his whole body with water, and he will be unclean till evening. Any clothing or leather that has Fluid on it must be washed with water, and it will be unclean till evening. When a man lies with a woman and there is an emission of Fluid, both must bathe with water, and they will be unclean till evening. (Lev 15:16-18)

Notice verse 18 deals with seminal emission during intimate intercourse, but verse 16 is speaking of a seminal emission that does not occur as a result of intercourse. If this is indeed a reference to self-service, the matter-of-fact way in which God deals with this matter certainly indicates that no feelings of shame should be attached to it. He simply said, "Go take a bath."

It seems to me that if God were really bothered by such a practice, then He missed a teachable moment here in this passage. Since He clearly condemns intimate intercourse between men in Leviticus 18:22 and says "that is detestable", I think that if He had really wanted us to avoid this particular practice, He would at least have said something like "That is disgusting" instead of "Go take a bath."

self-service has been around for a long time, and since God does not clearly condemn it, I would not be too bothered with it either. self-service is practice far more than adultery or fornication yet God is practically silent on the issue. This ought to tell you that God is not overly concern with it.

However, let me caution you against addiction to self-service. Just like most things, self-service can turn into an addiction. If you find yourself constantly—several times a day—self-servicing then you can be reasonably sure that you have a intimate addiction. Paul said, "'Everything is permissible for me'—but I will not be mastered by anything" (1 Cor 6:12). This includes self-service. Also, you should never use Indecency to self-service, and if you are married, keep your thoughts on your wife. It is the same sin to make love to your wife while thinking about another woman as it is to self-service while thinking about another woman. Concerning single people, I have no advice other than a prohibition to Indecency.

If a believer uses self-service to alleviate intimate temptation that's far better than actually being tempted to commit fornication or adultery. I would rather have a man self-service than go to a LovePeddler.

Another thought, if self-service is sinful, then you would expect there to be bad health consequences to it, such as found in adultery, homosexuality, and fornication (diseases for one thing). Instead, research has found that self-service serves to release intimate tension. If a man is prevented from having intimate release, then the seminal fluids can back up, causing increased intimate tension and physical discomfort. It also increases the risk of prostate inflammation. This might explain why priests who practice celibacy and who view self-service as sinful have a higher rate of prostate cancer.

Since there are proven medical benefits to self-service, it is difficult to make a biblical and reasonable case against it.
Re: self-service Controversy: Pastors Blast Oyakhilome by olaezebala: 1:14pm On Feb 28, 2012
must de always reply to this man?
Re: self-service Controversy: Pastors Blast Oyakhilome by Toks2008(m): 1:15pm On Feb 28, 2012
ayodele123:

Quote from Toks2008
''Some of us see self-service as improper and dirty but Which Bible passages or chapters speak about it being bad to self-service? It doesn't have to use the word, just imply self-servicing. I am trying to find all I can that is Biblical on the subject. Thank you!''

@Toks2008
 Please read 1 Corinthians 6:9, 1 Timothy 1:10 & Romans 1:27
 These verses talk about the sex perversion acts which include self-service, homosexualism, lesbianism, MouthAction and backdoor.
 In 1 Corinthians 6:9, one of the sins listed is 'abusers of themselves with mankind'' and self-service comes under this. In my Dake's Reference Bible, it is described as un-natural offences i.e. deriving intimate pleasure outside marital sex

I am not advocating that self service is no sin but i am avery objective person and never dogmatic. But Unfortunately these bible passages you quoted have nothing to do with masturbating.

Text of 1 Timothy 1:9-10:
The King James Version (KJV) of the Bible translates verse 9 and 10 as:

"Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers, For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine."

Romans 1:27

In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion.

1 Corinthians 6:9

Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders
Re: self-service Controversy: Pastors Blast Oyakhilome by niddamugu(m): 1:19pm On Feb 28, 2012
What more can one say? Oyakhilome simply entangled himself because he lacks the genuine undiluted word of God. He needs to go back to biblical school and be taught afresh. He has millions of misled (unteachable) converts. He is like Apollos in Acts 18v24-28. He needs to be retrained. He has the zeal but lacks the knowledge - Romans 10v2. Head knowledge in these last days would lead to serious tragedy.
Re: self-service Controversy: Pastors Blast Oyakhilome by hydeme: 1:20pm On Feb 28, 2012
this is a really simple issue. the counterblasters of pastor Chris do so with facts from the same testament which supports rape and see women as anything other than human, the same testament which Jesus came to abolish  
i dunno about the rest of you guys but i know the god i serve will never support wickedness towards women. when are these pastors gonna realise the bible is full of crap?
My people perish for lack of knowledge ever wondered what that could mean?
Re: self-service Controversy: Pastors Blast Oyakhilome by omochefran(m): 1:22pm On Feb 28, 2012
i for no mind to know where e dey for bible say self service is sin or no sin so that we can put this varing interpretation to rest abi?
Re: self-service Controversy: Pastors Blast Oyakhilome by hydeme: 1:29pm On Feb 28, 2012
omochefran:

i for no mind to know where e dey for bible say self service is sin or no sin so that we can put this varing interpretation to rest abi?

the bible just hapens to be silent about this topic
Re: self-service Controversy: Pastors Blast Oyakhilome by betabeta: 1:30pm On Feb 28, 2012
Mark 7:13- Making the word of God of none effect through your tradition, which ye have delivered: and many such like things do ye,

Many Christian have a definition of what is a sin and what is not, because of there own believe forgetting that the bible which is the manual for a christian have the final say.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Rev. Fr. Ejike Mbaka In Subsidy Removal(he Cursed Jonathan) / Pastor YEMI Exposing Christ Embassy Pastor Chris Birthday Celebration Money Cult / My Open Letter To Pastor Biodun Of COZA : Tomorrow's Sermon Template

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.