Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,260 members, 7,780,574 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 04:46 PM

invalid - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / invalid (10047 Views)

Invalid / An Interactive Forum For Everyone / Invalid (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

invalid by Vicjustice: 11:45am On Feb 28, 2012
invalid
Re: invalid by werepeLeri: 11:52am On Feb 28, 2012
If a nation declares a document as no longer being a legal tender - why do you still carry it and expect it to be accepted?

Legally - the old passport is no longer tenable, it has been replaced with an e passport, and everyone had been told when the old passport will cease to be tenable, so, whether still valid or not, if you tender it, you are flouting the law.

It is not a matter of forcing people to abandon their valid passport, its about people respecting the law and doing away with a document that is no longer a legal tender.

Sometimes ago - Nigeria changed her currency notes, look and feel, if you like have billions in the bank, and you dont change the notes before they became illegal tenders, who will you shout to? You will say they are forcing you to abandon the old notes, but you still want to spend it?

Bros - which country replaces passports without charge? Please give instances.
Re: invalid by Vicjustice: 1:58pm On Feb 28, 2012
werepeLeri:

If a nation declares a document as no longer being a legal tender - why do you still carry it and expect it to be accepted?

Legally - the old passport is no longer tenable, it has been replaced with an e passport, and everyone had been told when the old passport will cease to be tenable, so, whether still valid or not, if you tender it, you are flouting the law.

It is not a matter of forcing people to abandon their valid passport, its about people respecting the law and doing away with a document that is no longer a legal tender.

Sometimes ago - Nigeria changed her currency notes, look and feel, if you like have billions in the bank, and you dont change the notes before they became illegal tenders, who will you shout to? You will say they are forcing you to abandon the old notes, but you still want to spend it?

I still think it is unfair to require payment for such, some people paid huge amount of money and they have only had their National Passports for as little as six months before they were warned to pay another huge fee for the E-Passport even while their National Passport had some 4.5 years left.
   When Latvia and the other nine countries joined the EU, and when they needed to change their national passport to the EU type, they didn't just enforce a deadline to phase out their National Passport, rather they allowed it to valid along with the EU passport until their expiring dates, and it was totally up to the citizens to either go for the new EU passport or to hold on to their national passport. And most Latvians went for the New EU Passport when they realised that their National Passport was no longer allowed to enter the United States, Canada, Japan without a visa: for your information, Latvians (as well as other countries) pay just 12 Euros to get a new passport.
   If Nigeria is a person that respects citizens rights, they should have followed this regulation,
Re: invalid by collinsfbi(m): 2:47pm On Feb 28, 2012
I still think it is unfair to require payment for such, some people paid huge amount of money and they have only had their National Passports for as little as six months before they were warned to pay another huge fee for the E-Passport even while their National Passport had some 4.5 years left.
   When Latvia and the other nine countries joined the EU, and when they needed to change their national passport to the EU type, they didn't just enforce a deadline to phase out their National Passport, rather they allowed it to valid along with the EU passport until their expiring dates, and it was totally up to the citizens to either go for the new EU passport or to hold on to their national passport. And most Latvians went for the New EU Passport when they realised that their National Passport was no longer allowed to enter the United States, Canada, Japan without a visa: for your information, Latvians (as well as other countries) pay just 12 Euros to get a new passport.
   If Nigeria is a person that respects citizens rights, they should have followed this regulation,

I believe you know Nigerians so well and many atrocities committed with the old passport so i don't expect much deliberation on this topic. The FG finds the need for the implementation of the E-passport, it was introduced and to certain extent, it reduces crime of impersonation and other related offenses. Even if Nigerians with valid old "P" have to pay to get for the new "P", i still feel Nigerians should be happy that such was introduced. Considering the secure usage of the new "P" with finger print and other secured measures i think feel it right for the FG to stop the uses of the old "P" world wide. The introduction of the new "P" to me is still one of the best things Nigerian Government has done so far to help reduce rate of impersonation. It was done to protect your right as a Nigerian in term of alteration made to stolen passport by fraudsters, nothing more beneficial can be done than implementing the new "p" and stopping the use of the old "p"

Gbammm over and out
Re: invalid by Vicjustice: 5:21pm On Feb 28, 2012
collinsfbi:

I believe you know Nigerians so well and many atrocities committed with the old passport so i don't expect much deliberation on this topic. The FG finds the need for the implementation of the E-passport, it was introduced and to certain extent, it reduces crime of impersonation and other related offenses. Even if Nigerians with valid old "P" have to pay to get for the new "P", i still feel Nigerians should be happy that such was introduced. Considering the secure usage of the new "P" with finger print and other secured measures i think feel it right for the FG to stop the uses of the old "P" world wide. The introduction of the new "P" to me is still one of the best things Nigerian Government has done so far to help reduce rate of impersonation. It was done to protect your right as a Nigerian in term of alteration made to stolen passport by fraudsters, nothing more beneficial can be done than implementing the new "p" and stopping the use of the old "p"

Gbammm over and out
I absolutely understand your points, and i understand that the reasons they took such measure is because, it's Nigeria, and the Nigerians involved otherwise, it's not a fair measure.
But, my question isn't answered smiley: I'd like to hear from people who had travelled with the phasing out Nigerian National Passport (not the E-Passport), Please, share your experience; i'm have a major concern in this.
Anyone, please?
Re: invalid by werepeLeri: 5:30pm On Feb 28, 2012
^^^

The answer is, you wont get anyone in that category, because everyone did the right thing by changing their old passport to the new e passport.
Re: invalid by Vicjustice: 7:08pm On Feb 28, 2012
werepeLeri:

^^^

The answer is, you wont get anyone in that category, because everyone did the right thing by changing their old passport to the new e passport.
   Please, don't say what you don't really know, i personally know a couple of Nigerians who are still holding the National passports with valid date, in fact, i'm asking this questions on their behalf.
   My query is this:  What is the Nigerian Immigration take on this?
* "I'd like to hear from people who had travelled with the phasing out Nigerian National Passport (not the E-Passport), Please, share your experience; i'm have a major concern in this.
  Anyone, please?
"
Re: invalid by Nobody: 2:46pm On Feb 29, 2012
...pls delete
Re: invalid by trustboy: 2:54pm On Feb 29, 2012
I travelled to Nigeria on the 10th of February 2012 in company of my son. I had the new passport while he had the old one. He was allowed in without any problem and was only advised to change it. I think the general rule is that if the old passport is still valid you can enter Nigeria with it but cannot exit Nigeria with it. Hope this helps.
Re: invalid by wowo2: 2:56pm On Feb 29, 2012
if you travel with the old you may (don't think Nigeria will deport you back to wherever you are coming from) be allowed in but you wont be allowed out(even after parting with all the money, you will be stranded), so why not get the new at the Nigerian Consulate or whatever?
Re: invalid by aglomar: 3:07pm On Feb 29, 2012
It is better to comply than to be at d mercy of Nigeria's unstable policies; they may just invalidate all old passports 2mr.
Re: invalid by babaowo: 3:21pm On Feb 29, 2012
u can only use it to enter nigeria. And no embassy in nigeria accept old passport.
Re: invalid by FBS: 3:25pm On Feb 29, 2012
Well, I was at home last summer with the old passport and yes, the immigration officer told me to CHANGE it else, I will not be allowed to leave the country. He as a matter of fact made an "X" sign and a circle round it on the front page.
Of course they allowed me entry into the country afterall it ain't my fault that the Nigerian Embassy at  my current country of residence do not have the new passport printing machine.

So generally speaking, you just have to change your passport to the current E-passport.
Re: invalid by Sirmuell(m): 3:56pm On Feb 29, 2012
Pls blokes I just applied for a passport of recent and when it came out it was not an E-passport as speculated but an ECOWAS passport and my Visa will be approved soon hope I would be allowed to leave Nigeria for good sha
Re: invalid by Nobody: 4:57pm On Feb 29, 2012
...pls delete
Re: invalid by jolab: 5:37pm On Feb 29, 2012
Actually i live in ireland.i was meant 2 get my passport cos i needed it for identity for uni bt as usual stupid naija embassy passport machine stopped working.so they gave me the old one.and i got a schengen visa with it in dec. and went to portugal with it in jan.no problem watsoeva.i was told by the 9ja embassy dat as long as im nt goin 2 9ja its stil valid.so no biometric passport 4 me until dis 1 expires or i go 2 9ja.
Re: invalid by Redman44(m): 6:57pm On Feb 29, 2012
Nice Thread. The old Nigerian Passport is known as the MRP ( Machine Readable Passport ). It is being phased out gradually as the E-Passport is now to be used as our National Document. I need to clarify something. What happens if someone has a valid visa or Residence Documentation in the old Passport which has expired. The Visa in the old Passport is valid but the Passport has expired. Can the person travel to Nigeria and come back to Europe with both the new e-passport and the Old Passport which contains his Visa? I read someone that the visa ( issued by another country ) in your expired Passport is still valid because it was issued by another country. I need someone to explain this scenario to me. Thanks.
Re: invalid by werepeLeri: 7:17pm On Feb 29, 2012
just gum the two together - as simple as ABC.
Re: invalid by aribisala0(m): 7:24pm On Feb 29, 2012
werepeLeri:

Absolutely correct!

But the bolded is not legal tender tooo grin
Re: invalid by hbrednic: 7:25pm On Feb 29, 2012
Redman44:

Nice Thread. The old Nigerian Passport is known as the MRP ( Machine Readable Passport ). It is being phased out gradually as the E-Passport is now to be used as our National Document. I need to clarify something. What happens if someone has a valid visa or Residence Documentation in the old Passport which has expired. The Visa in the old Passport is valid but the Passport has expired. Can the person travel to Nigeria and come back to Europe with both the new e-passport and the Old Passport which contains his Visa? I read someone that the visa ( issued by another country ) in your expired Passport is still valid because it was issued by another country. I need someone to explain this scenario to me. Thanks.
100% correct.
Re: invalid by aribisala0(m): 7:27pm On Feb 29, 2012
for a visa,stamp etc in a passport to be valid. The passport MUST be valid
Re: invalid by Redman44(m): 8:09pm On Feb 29, 2012
aribisala0

I have read on forums that if you've got a valid visa in your old Passport, you can still travel with it provided you've gotten the new E-Passport. The visa or Residence document in your old Passport was issued by another country and not the Nigerian Government. I feel that is why the sign 'Cancelled Without Prejudice' is stamped on your expired Passport. 'Cancelled Without Prejudice' means that any visa in the Passport issued by another Country can still be used for the purpose it was intended for provided it is still valid. I need to hear from someone who has traveled to Nigeria with a visa on a expired Passport MRP Passport and the new E-Passport. Thanks a Bunch.
Re: invalid by aribisala0(m): 8:14pm On Feb 29, 2012
that falls within discretionary power though im many countries all entry is within discretionary power.
The correct thing to do is check specifically with each country before travelling rather than rely on dem say. Check!
Re: invalid by saska1122: 9:04pm On Feb 29, 2012
I like the way the 1st 2 responders(werepeLeri & collinsfbi ) to this thread made their argument. It shows how insensitive Nigerians can be towards others even when things are not properly done. Have they asked how easy was it for the OP to get the new "e-passport" in where he lives? In where I am, people had to stay 3 nights outside only to leave without getting their data taken, even after paying additional $100 to the Nigerian high commission here. After sometimes, the high commissioner told them they can go to Nigeria and get their epassport. So does that mean someone will leave his job or school, pay high transport fare back to Nigeria just to get a new passport with old one still valid.
The process of getting the new passport is really hell in some countries outside Nigeria. Even in Nigeria, the cost of 1 passport is N8,500, but people are made to pay as high as 20K to 50K.
Talking about checking fraud with the new e-passport, I can boldly say it is not really full proof!! U walk into NIS office today to get a new Passport, all they do is ask U to give them 30K and some funny document even when U have the old passport. Let me ask, a certificate of LGA origin or age declaration and your old MRP passport, which is most appropriate identification? Yet this guys don't even demand to see you old passport.
I have seen lots of people in Nigeria change a lot of info on the new passport like name, DOB etc. Some even have more than 1 epassport. We don't have any database to crosscheck. So if U like make 10 fingerprint with 10 different names n 10 DOB's.
I think before this can be effectively done, somethings need to be in place. NIS is as corrupt/greedy as Nigeria Police, they need re-orientation and over-hauling.
Re: invalid by annast: 9:13pm On Feb 29, 2012
grin Very funny and engaging article about someone's arrival experience at Murtala Muhammed Airport: http://saharareporters.com/article/arrival-murtala-mohammed-airport
Re: invalid by X2X(m): 10:18pm On Feb 29, 2012
Redman44:

aribisala0

I have read on forums that if you've got a valid visa in your old Passport, you can still travel with it provided you've gotten the new E-Passport. The visa or Residence document in your old Passport was issued by another country and not the Nigerian Government. I feel that is why the sign 'Cancelled Without Prejudice' is stamped on your expired Passport. 'Cancelled Without Prejudice' means that any visa in the Passport issued by another Country can still be used for the purpose it was intended for provided it is still valid. I need to hear from someone who has traveled to Nigeria with a visa on a expired Passport MRP Passport and the new E-Passport. Thanks a Bunch.

Redman44.

You are absolutely right.  I have unexpired visas on my now expired MRP passport. I also have a new e-passport without any visa at all! I travel freely with no problems. Just note that  you must present both the old (MRP)  and new  (e-passport) at border control when you arrive in the country you are visiting. If you are coming to Nigeria, you only need to show the e-passport.  Also, if travelling with two passports (e.g. expired MRP and new e-passport), just make sure that there are no contradictions  - e.g. passports show different date of birth.

Some countries provide the service whereby you can "transfer" an unexpired visa  from an old passport to a new one. Use that option if you don't want to carry/present both passports at border control. But they will charge you to get this done and you cant do it at the airport. I think it is a waste of money though. As an example (for UK visa transfers to new passport), see http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/while-in-uk/transfer-visa-to-passport/

aribisala0:

for a visa,stamp etc in a passport to be valid. The passport MUST be valid

Wrong.  A visa grants authority to enter/stay, a passport confirms nationality/identity.

Provided you can confirm your identity/nationality with another document (e.g. a second unexpired passport), then you can travel with an unexpired visa on an expired passport. There is no discretion on this specific point -  they will let you in, full stop. At least that is my experience of the US, UK and Schengen countries.

U.S. Consulate Website:
A visa is valid until its expiration date. Therefore, if the traveler has a valid U.S. visa in an expired passport, he/she may use it along with a new valid passport of the same nationality for travel and admission to the United States. Note: If, when canceling your old passport, the passport authority has clipped the corners of the passport, and, in so doing, has damaged the visa in any way, that visa is no longer valid and cannot be used for travel to the United States.
Re: invalid by aribisala0(m): 11:07pm On Feb 29, 2012
There really is no need to argue I said check with the country unless you have a Visa and experience for every country in the world

not all countries are the same.
If you try that in places like Iran,Burma or Thailand you could end up in prison. so check,

There is no right to enter another man's country even with a visa it is   DISCRETIONARY.

They can turn you back for a whole range of reasons  (AT THE AIRPORT) which they do not have to disclose to you in all cases
e.g

Security risks ,classified intelligence etc
Not satisfied with your stated purpose
Demeanour = not liking your face or the length of your beard

etc

And there is no redress
In the UK e.g.

10B. Where a person arrives in the United Kingdom with leave to enter or remain in the United Kingdom which is already in force, an Immigration Officer may cancel that leave.

For the US you may wish to read this
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/826/~/what-to-do-if-my-visa-is-in-an-expired-passport

http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/travel/inspections_carriers_facilities/clp/bulletins/clp_bullentin_04162008.ctt/clp_bulletin_04162008.pdf

But the crux is there are many different rules for different countries depending on THEIR RELATIONSHIPS with each other so CHECK
Re: invalid by Redman44(m): 1:33am On Mar 01, 2012
@X-2-X

Thanks for the enlightening information. Cheers.
Re: invalid by Vicjustice: 3:07am On Mar 01, 2012
saska1122:

I like the way the 1st 2 responders(werepeLeri & collinsfbi )  to this thread made their argument. It shows how insensitive Nigerians can be towards others even when things are not properly done. Have they asked how easy was it for the OP to get the new "e-passport" in where he lives? In where I am, people had to stay 3 nights outside only to leave without getting their data taken, even after paying additional $100 to the Nigerian high commission here. After sometimes, the high commissioner told them they can go to Nigeria and get their epassport. So does that mean someone will leave his job or school, pay high transport fare back to Nigeria just to get a new passport with old one still valid.
The process of getting the new passport is really hell in some countries outside Nigeria. Even in Nigeria, the cost of 1 passport is N8,500, but people are made to pay as high as 20K to 50K.
Talking about checking fraud with the new e-passport, I can boldly say it is not really full proof!! U walk into NIS office today to get a new Passport, all they do is ask U to give them 30K and some funny document even when U have the old passport. Let me ask, a certificate of LGA origin or age declaration and your old MRP passport, which is most appropriate identification? Yet this guys don't even demand to see you old passport.
I have seen lots of people in Nigeria change a lot of info on the new passport like name, DOB etc. Some even have more than 1 epassport. We don't have any database to crosscheck. So if U like make 10 fingerprint with 10 different names n 10 DOB's.
I think before this can be effectively done, somethings need to be in place. NIS is as corrupt/greedy as Nigeria Police, they need re-orientation and over-hauling.
   Thank you for showing this great understanding. Imagine my case; sometime in May 2010, i called at the Nigerian Embassy, Dublin to apply for a new passport, and i paid 200 Euros, plus the other 70 Euros i spent on transportation (Since i no longer live in Dublin), and also paid 50 Euros for a B&B, and eventually, when my passport was ready, i was surprised to see the MRP instead of the E-Passport. And when i demanded to know why it was so, they explained that the Embassy was expecting the E-Passport booklets from Nigeria, and because of the popular demands and the pressure on them for passport, they decided to issue the MRP "since it is still a legal tender as long as the date remains valid": and that was how i accepted my MR Passport which is "valid until May 2015" and i was assured that i can use it until May 15.
   Now, having been deceived into this situation by the Nigerian Embassy in Dublin, why won't i see this below comment as absolute nonsense?:

werepeLeri:

Re: invalid by browncool(m): 4:37am On Mar 01, 2012
It remains valid when you are still with the National Passport outside Nigeria but the moment you use it to enter Nigeria, you will be told at the airport by the Immigration that you can not use it to return back to your current country of residence even though you still have a valid visa or resident permit in it. I have experience this before
Re: invalid by kollinsfbi: 12:50pm On Mar 01, 2012
I like the way the 1st 2 responders(werepeLeri & collinsfbi ) to this thread made their argument. It shows how [size=14pt]insensitive[/size] Nigerians can be towards others even when things are not properly done. Have they asked how easy was it for the OP to get the new "e-passport" in where he lives? In where I am, people had to stay 3 nights outside only to leave without getting their data taken, even after paying additional $100 to the Nigerian high commission here. After sometimes, the high commissioner told them they can go to Nigeria and get their epassport. So does that mean someone will leave his job or school, pay high transport fare back to Nigeria just to get a new passport with old one still valid.
I like the way the 1st 2 responders(werepeLeri & collinsfbi ) to this thread made their argument. It shows how insensitive Nigerians can be towards others even when things are not properly done. Have they asked how easy was it for the OP to get the new "e-passport" in where he lives? In where I am, people had to stay 3 nights outside only to leave without getting their data taken, even after paying additional $100 to the Nigerian high commission here. After sometimes, the high commissioner told them they can go to Nigeria and get their epassport. So does that mean someone will leave his job or school, pay high transport fare back to Nigeria just to get a new passport with old one still valid.
I think before this can be effectively done, somethings need to be in place. NIS is as corrupt/greedy as Nigeria Police, they need re-orientation and over-hauling. U walk into NIS office today to get a new Passport, all they do is ask U to give them 30K and some funny document even when U have the old passport. Let me ask, a certificate of LGA origin or age declaration and your old MRP passport, which is most appropriate identification? Yet this guys don't even demand to see you old passport.

With the use of the word "insensitive", i hope it has no reference to my earlier post? Nigerians don't expect the E-pass to curb all criminal activities as long as it can reduce it to some certain extent, then it's all well and good. For your information even the US security measures can be hacked and manipulated let alone Nigeria of all countries, so don't always expect everything to be 100% ok.

Gbammm over and out
Re: invalid by bravolad(m): 1:09pm On Mar 01, 2012
If u ve a valid visa on an MRP passport and you have obtained the new epassport, the MRP will be cancelled without predjudice. This implies that your visa in the passport is still valid. Alternatively, you can approach the embasy to transfer the visa for u. But I can assure you that u can travel to any part of the world with the combination of your visa on MRP & the epassport bound together.

Vicjustice,
You can come into Nigeria with your MRP & obtain the epassport afterwards. I suggest you go to the NIS headqarters in Sauka Abuja & lodge an official complaint about what happened in Dublin. Provided you can substanciate your claim, they most likely will listen to you.

As for the change from MRP to the epassport, it is necessitated by thr global trend. The old passport cannot be read or scanned at the port of destination in most countries of the world. Besides being a legal issue, it became an image thing for Nigeria hence, the adoption & launch of the epassport. Moreover, Immigration gave a time phased implementation plan for facing out the MRP.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Naturalized US Citizens: Do You Get Treated/respected As A Native Born Citizen? / Murtala Muhammed Airport Sets Up Task Force For Traffic Management / France Visa Processing Took 29 Days But Hey! It was Worth The Wait

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 113
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.