Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,476 members, 7,808,731 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:03 PM

Living In Lagos, Is It Worth It? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Lagos, Is It Worth It? (16812 Views)

PHOTOS: Why Lagos Is The Craziest City In World / Qatar Work Visa For 600k.is It Worth It? / Lagos Is The World's 5th Most Unliveable City! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Living In Lagos, Is It Worth It? by yinkzs(f): 5:06pm On Oct 24, 2007
FUN AND CHALLENGES OF LIVING IN LAGOS
Lagos, Nigeria’s centre of excellence, currently rated as the 17th most populated metropolitan area in the world and 2nd in Africa with the population of over nine million people.
Like every major city of the world, Lagos too has got its own challenges. One of the toughest challenges the government is facing is how to manage the people and overcome the ever increasing congestions in the state. But notably, in spite of all efforts, there’s still no visible improvement and the situation only gets worse with more hold-ups on the road and poor living condition for a bulk of the population.

Most people move into Lagos seeking to improve their well-being. For some, well,  it's a dream come true, while others come face to face with array of problems which most times they never even thought of. Realities, such as joblessness, housing problems, filthy living conditions, poor power supply, air and noise pollution, poor health and nutrition all resulting to a low standard of living. The majority with no education remains mired in poverty and squalor. 
Of course, in search of a way out many people have sought out "interesting" ways of making ends meet or what else could better explain the high rise in thuggery, road side begging, child hawking, armed robbery, commercial sex workers, household burglars, and scams?

Well, the slogan “shine your eye, this is Lagos” is not merely a cliché. It is a popular saying among lagosians because in Lagos, life is highly characterized by the survival of the fittest. “Lagos is a land for the brave” they say and definitely no place for the faint hearted. For a newcomer, Lagos might just be the most horrible and unlivable place to be. For me, the moment I dread the most is getting trapped in one of the endless hold-ups and being condemned to the annoying, irritating and maddening effect of the traffic noise. That could be a nightmare especially when you have an important appointment to meet. Also being attacked and burgled in broad day light? I hate to imagine the feeling because it is definitely heart breaking. But despite all these problems associated with Lagos life, many people still flock into the state looking for greener pastures. What is it that makes Lagos so tick? Sometimes I wonder if it is because of its diversity in terms of people. Come to think of it, I am yet to learn of the existence of a race that is not represented in Lagos. Looking at the cultural heritage, the city can well qualify as a centre of culture. Visit the National Museum; there you’ll see collections in archaeology, ethnography, and traditional art. The National Theatre stages plays, dance performances, music concerts, and also houses collections of contemporary Nigerian art. The Eyo festival still remains one of the most colourful events I have attended. Well,  not forgetting Nollywood and of course sports.
The economy of Lagos is very promising. Lagos is Nigeria’s leading port, particularly for imports of motor vehicles, machinery, and industrial raw materials. It is also the western terminus for the Nigerian railway system and is linked by rail and road to Ibadan, Kano, and other major Nigerian cities. The Murtala Muhammed International Airport is also located in the city’s centre.

In education, the University of Lagos, Yaba College of Technology, Lagos State University, and Lagos State Polytechnic are located in the city, as are several major research institutes. Lagos is also the site of the National Library of Nigeria. Lagos is an important centre of Nigerian intellectual life.

In truth, people have diverse reasons why they prefer Lagos. To the young graduate, it is easiest place to get a job and also the perfect place to start out in life. To the entrepreneur, it is a strong market base. Some people perceive Lagos as the most liberal place to be; a city that encourages and supports free expression of speech, ideas and creativity.
It is no news that Lagosians are fun loving people who wouldn’t trade their recreational time for anything. Whatever your taste or social status, in Lagos there is always something for you. There are clubs and hangout joints in almost every neighbor-hood where lagosians go to after working hours to burn down the day’s stress. There they hook up with friends and relax with a plate of hot pepper soup, “Isi ewu” Goat head, or “Nkwo bi” Cow tail along with a few drinks preferably alcoholic, while they await the weekends to explore the endless social activities at their disposal. Some people might prefer family outings like going to the beach, cinema, the theatre, the stadium, church or well,  for some singles and still searching a club or a show could be the a good place to have a catch or get caught. The good thing there is that you have fun doing it all.

1 Like

Re: Living In Lagos, Is It Worth It? by almondjoy(f): 12:21am On Oct 25, 2007
Junk city! Glorified dumpster!

1 Like

Re: Living In Lagos, Is It Worth It? by mrpataki(m): 8:48am On Oct 25, 2007
I am doing a presentation next week, about the City of Lagos. You should be there to see it. It is in the University of twente. Leeuwarden.
Re: Living In Lagos, Is It Worth It? by Seun(m): 8:53am On Oct 25, 2007
Wow, Yinkz, did you write that yourself? Need to know before I promote it to front page.
Re: Living In Lagos, Is It Worth It? by yinkzs(f): 6:54pm On Oct 25, 2007
Thank you all for your responses. I wish I could make it to the presentation on Lagos city but unfortunately I can't. I hope to learn more about the event though.
And Seun, you have nothing to fear, go ahead and post the article. I wrote it.
Yinka.
Re: Living In Lagos, Is It Worth It? by Ezinwannem: 11:37pm On Oct 26, 2007
well written, I like house as in 2 visit but not 2 live, man, dat place gives me headache

1 Like

Re: Living In Lagos, Is It Worth It? by gmcln(m): 5:01pm On Oct 27, 2007
Lagos is a Zoo without a Cage, All the animals are running loose
Re: Living In Lagos, Is It Worth It? by folahann(m): 10:33pm On Oct 27, 2007
wink What is good in Lagos is extremely good and what bad in Lagos is exteremely bad

1 Like

Re: Living In Lagos, Is It Worth It? by krisbobo(m): 12:18am On Oct 29, 2007
@poster and All

What! You can ask? you can actually ask that is living in Lagos worth it? Gosh, what on earth is wrong with you ppl? where else on the planet is worth living if not Lagos

Where else do you get the rare pleasure of being held in traffic on a normal day fo hrs, giving you the oppurtunity to reflect on life, nature, the beauty of a shared Molue or that even an air-conditioned gave becomes boribg after 4 hrs of stagnation on one spot?

Where else, in what mega city do you find the perfect blend of squalor and wealth? can anybody be exclusively elite in Lagos? for where, na the same go slow dey catch us all!!!!! have you sen the filth in Lekki and Ajah? Can any city compete with lagos on building mega structures and the systematically ruining them with filth generously donated by every passing vehicle, public or private?

Not live in lagos? God forbid!! what would my life be without area boys? Ha, to spend a day without being called chairman? Yeepa, no freaking way! Tuale, o le nu bi kettle!!!

Where else will you run into a policeman wearing bathroom slippers? or have policemen arrest girls for alledged prostitution and then take them to the police station and summarily rape them and have their families pay like 20k to bail them? or have the police arrest people for indecent dressing and the governor and police commissioner know nothing about it

Leave lagos for we o. After all, eko o ni baja!!!!

1 Like

Re: Living In Lagos, Is It Worth It? by D328babe: 11:00am On Nov 18, 2007
I have been living in Port Harcourt for a couple of years, and I am[b] DESPERATE [/b] to get back to lagos,  don't knock Lag, u don't know what you have until you lose it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  cry
Re: Living In Lagos, Is It Worth It? by Dalvic(m): 12:12pm On Nov 18, 2007
Good write up you know. lets be proud of what we have despite some shortcomings.
Re: Living In Lagos, Is It Worth It? by shotster50(m): 12:46am On Oct 10, 2008
Its a Kind of Love Hate thing for me. I like the typical Lagos Mentality but I will choose Abuja over it any day.
Re: Living In Lagos, Is It Worth It? by tRoOE(f): 2:43am On Oct 10, 2008
[size=13pt]Lagos is my life, i know other place expect Lagos
I was born there, grew up there, my parents were both born and raised there.
in fact there is no other place like Lagos kiss kiss
[/size]

1 Like

Re: Living In Lagos, Is It Worth It? by Okijajuju1(m): 2:50am On Oct 10, 2008
I cant live in lagos O!!
HA! Armed robbers, thieves, hustlers, traffic (both humans & vehicular), touts, dirt, flood, light, Latsma, e.t.c.

Lagos is what I call a beautiful hell.

1 Like

Re: Living In Lagos, Is It Worth It? by tRoOE(f): 2:54am On Oct 10, 2008
[size=13pt]juju u na well rara, na Lagos u dey disrespect like that angry tongue
So where do u prefer than
[/size]
Re: Living In Lagos, Is It Worth It? by Okijajuju1(m): 3:03am On Oct 10, 2008
Anywhere but Lagos.
The city is nice no doubt, but the life is too hectic and dangerous for my liking.

No offence to lagosians.

But if it means something, you guys do know how to party. wink
Re: Living In Lagos, Is It Worth It? by Nobody: 3:08am On Oct 10, 2008
Lagos is the happening place jare. I can't live in any other city in Nigeria than Lagos.
Re: Living In Lagos, Is It Worth It? by Okijajuju1(m): 3:31am On Oct 10, 2008
I spent the early parts of my life in lagos. Nursery and part of primary school in Lag.

But I represent the PHC (purple Haze City).
The city of Militants.

Mess around with us and get kidnapped. grin

I cant live in any other city except ABJ.
Re: Living In Lagos, Is It Worth It? by Nobody: 3:32am On Oct 10, 2008
Nursery school in Lagos
2 yrs of primary school in Ado-Ekiti.

Lagos, with its bad and good, I loved it jare.
But I love Ado wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better cool cool
Re: Living In Lagos, Is It Worth It? by damiso(f): 9:20am On Oct 10, 2008
My birthplace and hometown;How i love thee except for the hold-ups and the bathroom slippers wearing police men.Me thinks the only city i can live in nigeria though my ibadan bred hubby thinks otherwise[sub][/sub]all those ibadan people sef na jealousy dey worry them i don tell am say i fit sell am collect change cos lagosians dey always sharp.
Re: Living In Lagos, Is It Worth It? by landis(m): 5:31pm On Oct 14, 2008
No Place like HOME.

grin cheesy grin
Re: Living In Lagos, Is It Worth It? by Gamine(f): 8:38pm On Oct 16, 2008
It is Worth it o.

But the thing is, try arranging your life in one particular area

if not, it will be tough o.

Its not easy, but thank God for internet, messengers, e.t.c

Its Well sha.

I have lived in Lagos for mo than 20years and no one has come to rob me in my house.

People live in Lagos and are VERY happy.
Re: Living In Lagos, Is It Worth It? by MAURI: 10:34am On Oct 17, 2008
MrPataki
@
I am doing a presentation next week, about the City of Lagos. You should be there to see it. It is in the University of twente. Leeuwarden.

Mr Pataki,
I am interested in attending your upcoming presentation on Lagos. I would like to receive specific information on date and time. Kindly send this to me@ amster_1@hotmail.com
Cheers.
Re: Living In Lagos, Is It Worth It? by MAURI: 10:39am On Oct 17, 2008
Hahaha!!
Looking closely, I realise this post dates back to 2007!
MrPataki, pls ignore my earlier post.
Re: Living In Lagos, Is It Worth It? by tjadeba(m): 12:30pm On Oct 17, 2008
i have forced myself to like this city for the past two years that i have been living there, no luck!
men! i dont like Lagos, i will jump at anything opportunity that comes my way to leave this Lagos.its a mad town.
Re: Living In Lagos, Is It Worth It? by Seun(m): 12:36pm On Oct 17, 2008
Living in VI is worth it. Living in Lekki Is Worth is. Ikoyi and Ikeja maybe. Otherwise, no!
Re: Living In Lagos, Is It Worth It? by Obalende: 7:15pm On Oct 17, 2008
@Seun
You have summed it up.
Just to add, when many people say they want to live in lagos, they are subconsciously refering to these areas!
Re: Living In Lagos, Is It Worth It? by Nobody: 8:11pm On Jan 17, 2010
like lagbaja will say eko o gba gbere o.u rily av 2 be smart to live and work in lagos.so if ure not smart stay in ur village n if u choose 2 come 2 lagos n ure not smart within 2weeks u'll wise up because u'll have been over duped.4 example there is dis malam dat use 2 sell suya around our crib.he's comin directly from d village n he's a total illiterate he cant spek or hear both pidgin n english trust my lagosians if dey discover ure naive dey'll so cheat u b4 u become wise.as i was sayin any one dat wants 2 buy suya will have 2 luk 4 a guy or gal dat hears n speaks hausa well.dey'll both conive ,if like d guy calls a stik 100 naira dey'll give him 10 naira n claim its 100 naira,d malam would be deceived because dey'll convince him dats its 100 naira n also d fact dat he doent know money.nairalanders our strret folks made dis guy go bankrupt n i started feelin 4 him.he later met some hausa guys dat tot him bout lagos.now d guy is as wise as n ibo business man so if u rily wana come 2 lagos be wise.as 4 dose ibadan,ogbomoso,ife illiterate villagers dat av lines in dia cheeks u beta count ur cost n be wise if u rily wana survive in lagos.i think its worth it anyway.as long as ure wise.

(1) (Reply)

Stranded Nigerians Arrive The Country From Libya. Photos / Iceland Visa And Other Inquires.... / More Than 60 Dead Off Libyan Coast In Latest Migrant Tragedy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.