Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,317 members, 7,780,778 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 10:00 PM

Electronic Voting Likely In 2015 - Jega - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Electronic Voting Likely In 2015 - Jega (2349 Views)

Mass Protest Likely In Kano As Litre Of Fuel Sells For N1,000 / Jega Promises Improved 2015 Elections As Senator Rules Out Electronic Voting / 2015: Jega Pursuing Northern Agenda - Inec Staff (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Electronic Voting Likely In 2015 - Jega by mukina2: 10:07am On Mar 01, 2012
Nigerians may vote electronically in the 2015 general elections, Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) Chairman Prof Attahiru Jega said yesterday.

This, he said, will depend on the amendment of electoral laws, which presently do not recognise electronic voting.

Jega said contracts are being awarded for the production of a permanent voter register, which will be embedded in electronic chips on cards.

The INEC boss admitted that the commission has not performed satisfactorily in the prosecution of electoral offenders, even though over 200 cases have been tried.

To him, the solution is to have an independent body outside INEC to handle prosecution of electoral offenders while the commission concentrates on election management.

Jega spoke during a visit to The Nation’s head office in Lagos. He was received by the management team, led by Managing Director/Editor-in-Chief Victor Ifijeh.

On the use of technology in voting, Jega said: “We are working to ensure that if by 2015, the legal framework is amended to allow for electronic voting, we may be able to see it through, provided the funding and facilities are available to get electronic voting machines.

“We have gone very far with the award of the contract for the permanent voters register. It is going to be in embedded chip contact lens cards. Each card will carry all the information about the voter, with all his biometric data, from fingerprint to photograph and so on.

“Our hope is that in 2015, at the minimum, we are going to have an authentic verification of anybody who presents himself or herself at the polling unit for voting. We will have card readers, and it will automatically verify whether you are the genuine owner of a card.

“If the law is amended in good time and we’re able to have the resources and to convince the public that we can do electronic voting, then we will also be ready because the chip-based card can be made compatible with an electronic voting system.

“Also, we have been working very hard to integrate our database. We are doing it in stages.”

The popular thinking is that electoral crimes flourish because many offenders are not prosecuted.

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news/38376-electronic-voting-likely-in-2015-says-jega.html
Re: Electronic Voting Likely In 2015 - Jega by freegaza(m): 10:31am On Mar 01, 2012
Even if na heaven voting,i will never vote again
Re: Electronic Voting Likely In 2015 - Jega by mkmyers45(m): 10:38am On Mar 01, 2012
Story Story, another opportunity to loot and massively fail the people again
Re: Electronic Voting Likely In 2015 - Jega by Afam4eva(m): 10:52am On Mar 01, 2012
freegaza:

I dey tell you. Enough is enough.
Re: Electronic Voting Likely In 2015 - Jega by ifihearam: 11:11am On Mar 01, 2012
Of what use is voting in Nigeria again?when wether you vote or not the chosen one will win.me nor vote again sha
Re: Electronic Voting Likely In 2015 - Jega by madprof(m): 11:13am On Mar 01, 2012
Even if na for ATM machine dem vote, PDP will still win, unless and until Nigerians change their attitude, open their eyes and stop voting this band of incompetent renegades.
Re: Electronic Voting Likely In 2015 - Jega by get2okey(m): 11:17am On Mar 01, 2012
kiss
Re: Electronic Voting Likely In 2015 - Jega by Ekiti1: 11:19am On Mar 01, 2012
Another opportunity to award contract for sub - standard computers and electronic voting gadgets.
Lets wait and see
Re: Electronic Voting Likely In 2015 - Jega by jspac(m): 11:34am On Mar 01, 2012
I laugh in chinese cheesy
Re: Electronic Voting Likely In 2015 - Jega by bigsean(m): 11:43am On Mar 01, 2012
Is this not the same JEGA guy that screwed up the last election, when they postponed it last min cos he wasn't even aware the necessary materials were not in the country?

Abeg make we talk another thing
Re: Electronic Voting Likely In 2015 - Jega by lilkech(m): 12:01pm On Mar 01, 2012
Na zinox go collect this contract na
Re: Electronic Voting Likely In 2015 - Jega by Nobody: 12:05pm On Mar 01, 2012
This JEGA needs to be booed at.
Re: Electronic Voting Likely In 2015 - Jega by lilkech(m): 12:06pm On Mar 01, 2012
Na zinox go collect this contract na

na 2 go find work 4 there so that after the election i go see "take away" carry go house

#asusual#
Re: Electronic Voting Likely In 2015 - Jega by 1025: 12:37pm On Mar 01, 2012
jega 1 - inec chairman
jonathan ebele goodluck azikiwe(jega 2) - president of nigeria.

jega 1 and 2 took, steal or embezzled over N100B just to print a black and white paper in the name of id card then imagine an elctronic voting system, that will cost us at least, N10tr. what a shameless professor? all the cancalled elections were conducted by this same jega yet non of his workers or himself is facing any court charges.

if this boko haram ppl are not agents of pdp, why are they watching this man talk about electronics which is against their belief?
jega and his relatives are supposed to be bombed by boko haram for thinking electronics.

jega 1 and 2 are mapping out means of stealing the extra money made from fuel subsidy.

election cabals will also steal some at the airport.
Re: Electronic Voting Likely In 2015 - Jega by SweetSex(m): 1:04pm On Mar 01, 2012
freegaza:

I totally agree wit U. Why shud I waste voting wen they can practically endorse who shud win. Voting is only a process in Naija, d winners are choosen b/4 elections.
Re: Electronic Voting Likely In 2015 - Jega by kokoA(m): 1:06pm On Mar 01, 2012
Electronic Voting Riging Likely In 2015 - Jega. The journalist actually made a mistake.
Re: Electronic Voting Likely In 2015 - Jega by billion11: 9:13pm On Mar 01, 2012
DON'T! Electronic voting makes it easier to cheat the election.
Re: Electronic Voting Likely In 2015 - Jega by DaLover(m): 9:41pm On Mar 01, 2012
i think it would make sence to syncronize databases with the national population commision. better yet a properly done national ID card can also serve as voters card
Re: Electronic Voting Likely In 2015 - Jega by bakila: 11:04pm On Mar 01, 2012
Who will believe or trust this? Jega's wife or dame patience?
Re: Electronic Voting Likely In 2015 - Jega by chiteny(m): 11:29pm On Mar 01, 2012
The past election was when i cast my last vote. No more voting in Nigeria until i see positive change even if it takes till vision 3030.

(1) (Reply)

Reasons Why Some Edo People Hate Oshiomhole: / No Bank Robbery In Anambra In The Last 4 Years -- Peter Obi / Breaking News: Ebola Spreads Across Europe, France,spain Discovers Carriers!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.