Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,345 members, 7,808,212 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:49 AM

Microsoft Releases Windows 8 For Public Testing - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Microsoft Releases Windows 8 For Public Testing (4133 Views)

Facebook Introduces Mentions: A New App For Public Figures / I'm Testing Nairalist.com: What Do You Think? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Microsoft Releases Windows 8 For Public Testing by mukina2: 12:32pm On Mar 01, 2012
(Reuters) - Microsoft Corp released an incomplete version of Windows 8 for the public to download and try out on Wednesday, looking to rev up excitement for the slick, new-look operating system that it hopes will restore its fading tech supremacy.

Windows 8, as the first Microsoft operating system compatible with low-power microprocessors designed by ARM Holdings Plc, will run on tablets as well as desktops and laptops, in an effort to counter the runaway success of Apple Inc's iPad.

"It's an even better Windows than Windows 7," said Steven Sinofsky, head of Microsoft's flagship Windows unit, as he demonstrated the new system at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona.

Windows 7, Microsoft's last operating system, was its fastest-selling ever, racking up 525 million sales in less than three years. But Microsoft has found itself sidelined in the rush toward mobile computing by Apple, Google Inc and Amazon.com Inc.

"It's incredibly fast and fluid to just navigate this UI (user interface)", said Sinofsky, showing off Windows 8 on a tablet and an ultra-thin laptop at the event in Barcelona.

Anyone can download the new version of Windows, but it will only work on PCs and laptops running standard Intel Corp x86 chips. Consumers will have to wait longer to try out the full experience on ARM-compatible tablets.

It is available for download at preview.windows.com.

Sinofsky said people from 70 countries had already downloaded the software on Wednesday morning, but he did not give exact numbers.

Microsoft says it is aiming to get machines running on both the ARM and Intel platforms into the market at the same time, but has not set a target date. The world's largest software company generally tries to bring out a new version of Windows every three years, so that would indicate a full release date around October this year, in time for the holiday shopping season.

In both versions, Windows 8 features a completely new interface, borrowed from what Microsoft calls the "Metro" style of the current Windows Phone software. It features blocks or "tiles" that can be moved around the screen or tapped to go straight into an application.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/02/29/us-microsoft-windows-idUSTRE81S1JF20120229
Re: Microsoft Releases Windows 8 For Public Testing by Nobody: 12:43pm On Mar 01, 2012
Change is inevitable
Re: Microsoft Releases Windows 8 For Public Testing by mkmyers45(m): 12:52pm On Mar 01, 2012
The interface is silverlight oriented and it is quite cool with all the tile block and transparent graphic, I will get it when the full release is out
Re: Microsoft Releases Windows 8 For Public Testing by Nobody: 1:20pm On Mar 01, 2012
Great
Re: Microsoft Releases Windows 8 For Public Testing by humblebee: 1:29pm On Mar 01, 2012
nice one,
Re: Microsoft Releases Windows 8 For Public Testing by Nobody: 1:58pm On Mar 01, 2012
Seems it's made mainly for "Tablet & Touch Screen" Devices. Gosh, Are Desktop & Laptops going to become extinct?

Most companies are now focusing on Ultraportables too.

Hope to test this soon, when I find where my x86 notebook is laying. . .
Re: Microsoft Releases Windows 8 For Public Testing by meetgaya: 2:04pm On Mar 01, 2012
i will soon discard my window 7
Re: Microsoft Releases Windows 8 For Public Testing by meetgaya: 2:08pm On Mar 01, 2012
i will soon dash out my window 7 for the new one grin grin grin
Re: Microsoft Releases Windows 8 For Public Testing by Nobody: 2:51pm On Mar 01, 2012
i am waiting
Re: Microsoft Releases Windows 8 For Public Testing by reloboy(m): 3:05pm On Mar 01, 2012
Can't wait for it
Re: Microsoft Releases Windows 8 For Public Testing by Skywalker5(m): 3:06pm On Mar 01, 2012
IMHO i think windows 7 is still better than Windows 8. i just installed it and i think its going to be complicated for users with just basic knowledge of computing. I dont know much about the apps for tablets and phones for the desktop is not that cool to me.
Re: Microsoft Releases Windows 8 For Public Testing by oloto(m): 3:22pm On Mar 01, 2012
^^ loving the windows 7 too buh I can't wait for the 8
Re: Microsoft Releases Windows 8 For Public Testing by buzor(m): 3:49pm On Mar 01, 2012
i cant wait to lay my hands on that stuff
Re: Microsoft Releases Windows 8 For Public Testing by mastelbiz: 4:12pm On Mar 01, 2012
Downloading it now, it working on pc's and laptops.
Re: Microsoft Releases Windows 8 For Public Testing by JUO(m): 6:16pm On Mar 01, 2012
great news
Re: Microsoft Releases Windows 8 For Public Testing by Demdem(m): 6:19pm On Mar 01, 2012
When will I catch up now? Still trying to migrate to 2000 from my present 98 grin
Re: Microsoft Releases Windows 8 For Public Testing by Nobody: 7:09pm On Mar 01, 2012
Windows 8!! When we have not finished mastering Windows 7!!. Microsoft self,
Re: Microsoft Releases Windows 8 For Public Testing by lifestyle1(m): 7:41pm On Mar 01, 2012
cool
Re: Microsoft Releases Windows 8 For Public Testing by Omogbhollahorn(m): 7:48pm On Mar 01, 2012
cool i cant wait for pple xperiences b4 i slam my head on the rock grin tongue
Re: Microsoft Releases Windows 8 For Public Testing by SUXXI(m): 8:25pm On Mar 01, 2012
I am currently downloading mine, grin grin grin
Few hours to go!!!
Re: Microsoft Releases Windows 8 For Public Testing by hamsky: 12:57am On Mar 02, 2012
I was one of the first few to test when it came out
Re: Microsoft Releases Windows 8 For Public Testing by Nobody: 2:37am On Mar 02, 2012
I have been testing the preview for over 2 months now and I have find it to be a very smooth sailing product. I think Microsoft Corporation has done a better job with this one. Believe it, with regard to the apps,resolutions,ease in interaction with many of the interfaces, aesthetic look this one stand a great chance among other operating systems out there in the market. People have underrated it at the first time of its announcement,most especial, among the OS communities and forums. And, I too did condemn it before carrying out the test only to find out it's totally better than people perceptions which are speculated around the internet. The Windows 8 is superior and better operating system. Most of the software and applications which run on its predecessor, Windows 7(32 bit and 68 bit architectures), can as well run on it.

Though, there is something I don't not actually agree with, that is the Shutting down of the system - which one has to go through long process of login off first before hitting the shut-down icon to shut it the system down. I hope they rectify this to hasten up the process of shutting the system down fast, at a minimum time.

My overall rating for it is 8.5/10. Windows 8 is the bomb. Microsoft Windows got it right this time.
Re: Microsoft Releases Windows 8 For Public Testing by oladayo042: 5:17pm On Mar 03, 2012
Demdem:

When will I catch up now? Still trying to migrate to 2000 from my present 98 grin
Maybe next century. grin grin grin grin grin grin

(1) (Reply)

Verified UK Non Hosted Adsense Accounts For Sale / 5 Recommended Ways Bloggers Can Improve Their Blogs / How To Improve Your Blog's Alexa Rank

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.