Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,289 members, 7,807,981 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:14 AM

Lagos Uncovers N82 Milllion Fraud From 100 Ghost Workers - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Uncovers N82 Milllion Fraud From 100 Ghost Workers (3496 Views)

N82 Million Dinner: Go To Court, Amaechi Dares Wike / N82.5M Fraud: EFCC Arraigns Kwara Ex-lawmaker, Edun / FG Uncovers 62,892 ‘Ghost’ Workers, Saves N208.7bn (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Uncovers N82 Milllion Fraud From 100 Ghost Workers by mukina2: 3:18pm On Mar 01, 2012
The Lagos State Government says it has uncovered N82 million fraud from ghost workers in Local Governments, Local Council Development Areas and Local Government Education Authorities and arrested 100 of them.

The Office of the Auditor-General for Local Governments in Lagos State said the government was able to stop the payment of over N82 million to ghost workers, and deceased pensioners for the years 2010 and 2011 in the affected councils whose names were not listed.

According to a statement from the office, the Permanent Secretary/Auditor-General for Local Governments, Mr Mohammed Hassan who disclosed this during a management meeting, stated that it was a major breakthrough for the administration of Governor Babatunde Raji Fashola in its bid to tackle the menace of ghost workers in the state.

He explained that during the exercise, over 100 ghost workers, impersonators of deceased pensioners were caught, and over N82 million was recovered.

“We have also successfully completed the statutory reports on the accounts and projects executed in the 20 Local Governments and 37 Local Council Development Areas for the year 2010 and it has been considered by the Public Accounts Committee (Local Governments) of Lagos State House of Assembly.”

He added that the exercises were used to appraise the performances of all the 57 Local Governments and Local Council Development Areas, and ensure that funds released were spent judiciously, to ensure accountability and transparency at the grassroots level.

Meanwhile, the Office of the Auditor-General for Local Governments in Lagos State is to embark on Projects Inspection Exercise in all the 20 Local Governments (LGs) and 37 Local Council Development Areas (LCDAs) in the state.

The exercise, schedule to take place between 6 and 30 March, 2012, will enable the office find out how judiciously the local governments were using the funds allocated to them.

http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2012/03/01/lagos-uncovers-100-ghost-workers/
Re: Lagos Uncovers N82 Milllion Fraud From 100 Ghost Workers by JimmyBoy1: 3:36pm On Mar 01, 2012
This is nonsense, number of ghost workers in Lagos public service or any other state of the federation is in tens of thousands. Biometrics we wipe out this payroll fraud, but they will never implement it because they are also the beneficiaries of the frauds.
Re: Lagos Uncovers N82 Milllion Fraud From 100 Ghost Workers by newslive(f): 4:04pm On Mar 01, 2012
^^ true talk

Re: Lagos Uncovers N82 Milllion Fraud From 100 Ghost Workers by Nobody: 4:09pm On Mar 01, 2012
They would never get the exact figures without Biometrics, Cuz the smart one's would have still lobbied their way out of this current figure,, undecided
Re: Lagos Uncovers N82 Milllion Fraud From 100 Ghost Workers by badesco(m): 4:32pm On Mar 01, 2012
it is a big breakthrough for the Lagos State Government.
What will now happen to the perpetrator of this crimes?
I hope this will not be swept under the carpet as usual.
Re: Lagos Uncovers N82 Milllion Fraud From 100 Ghost Workers by highland(m): 4:33pm On Mar 01, 2012
Govt should stop deceiving us about this ghost workers without the influence of the personnel.
Re: Lagos Uncovers N82 Milllion Fraud From 100 Ghost Workers by Arosa(m): 4:40pm On Mar 01, 2012
Why do naija government always like to employ ghost workers; are ghost better than the liven?
Re: Lagos Uncovers N82 Milllion Fraud From 100 Ghost Workers by yogun(f): 4:50pm On Mar 01, 2012
They use our tax payers moni to pay ghost?? shocked

Later they will be shouting "pay ur tax, pay ur tax"

oni ranu l'awon pple yi sha
Re: Lagos Uncovers N82 Milllion Fraud From 100 Ghost Workers by CuteTj(m): 5:42pm On Mar 01, 2012
yogun:

They use our tax payers moni to pay ghost?? shocked

Later they will be shouting "pay ur tax, pay ur tax"

oni ranu l'awon pple yi sha

It's people like me and you, our brothers, sisters, friends, relatives who work for LASG and are the ones sabotaging the system. Its not LASG joy that some people are stealing the tax that you and i pay, that is why they have apprehended and arrested the culprits.
Re: Lagos Uncovers N82 Milllion Fraud From 100 Ghost Workers by belod4me(m): 8:07pm On Mar 01, 2012
Nawa oo Nigerians with dubious acts, God will help us
Re: Lagos Uncovers N82 Milllion Fraud From 100 Ghost Workers by EASY39(m): 9:18pm On Mar 01, 2012
Na course
Re: Lagos Uncovers N82 Milllion Fraud From 100 Ghost Workers by eghost247(m): 11:29pm On Mar 01, 2012
what
Re: Lagos Uncovers N82 Milllion Fraud From 100 Ghost Workers by pcicero(m): 12:56am On Mar 02, 2012
These guys are clowns! My mum retired as far back as 2005 as a teacher in Lagos state. She has not collected a dime from Lagos State. No pension, no gratuity. Her disenchantment was the Emperor's uncouth attack on pensioners. The former governor was fond of taunting protesting pensioners by reminding them that their failures to raise millionaires like himself was responsible for their miseries.
She eventually found a staff at the LGEA who promised to assist her. Of course she paid some money!
She called me this morning that she had been called to the Pensions office at PWD,ikeja. She called me later that the representative of the Auditor General and others present were amazed that she is still looking agile and resplendent after 7 years of retirement without collecting a kobo.
Long story short, they only asked her to fill a form and promised to call her back to pick a bank form and ATM card. They did not check her papers neither did they take any biometric.
Re: Lagos Uncovers N82 Milllion Fraud From 100 Ghost Workers by mikfrank: 1:44pm On Mar 02, 2012
Is that typographical error,do they mean 1,000 or 100 ghosts workers cos i belive there are more.

(1) (Reply)

Fg Dismisses Militants’ Demand For Amnesty / My 2015 Voters Card Registration Experience / Picture Of Ebira People Welcoming Yahaya Bello,

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.