Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,496 members, 7,781,483 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 03:20 PM

Bloodbath In Bayelsa - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bloodbath In Bayelsa (3560 Views)

Bloodbath In Ahoada, Rivers State / Timi Alaibe Withdraws From APC Governorship Primary In Bayelsa / Bloodbath In Lagos: Soldiers Kill Police Dpo, Dco 8 Others (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bloodbath In Bayelsa by koruji(m): 1:18am On Mar 02, 2012
The problem that oil will cause. Don't you just wish we never discovered oil in Nigeria?

http://tribune.com.ng/index.php/front-page-news/36932-bloodbath-in-bayelsa-4-soldiers-4-policemen-killed-by-gunmen-explosives-create-panic-in-yenagoa
-4 soldiers, 4 policemen killed by gunmen
-Explosives create panic in Yenagoa

Written by Oluwole Ige, Yenagoa Friday, 02 March 2012 00:00

THE seeming prevalent peace and security in Bayelsa State, were on Thursday around 10.00 a.m, shattered as unidentified gunmen unleashed attack on security operatives at different locations, on the waterways, killing four soldiers, including a lieutenant-colonel and four policemen.

Investigations by the Nigerian Tribune revealed that the suspected gunmen, who operated in three speedboats, swiftly swooped on the military personnel, who were enroute Ogbia from Nembe, in Brass Local Government Area of the state on a patrol duty.

As a result of the development, security formations in the state were thrown into mourning, as some officers were sighted discussing the violent attack in hush tones.

The four soldiers, who were felled by the assailants’ bullets, belonged to the Joint Task Force (JTF) codenamed “Operation Pulo Shield,” saddled with the responsibilities of securing oil installations and waterways along the Niger Delta.

A credible source informed our correspondent that a lieutenant-colonel, whose name could not be confirmed at the time of this report, was among the casualties recorded after the dastardly act.

While palpable fear and pandemonium created by the killing of the soldiers at a place popularly known as ‘Right Hand’ were yet to subside, four marine policemen were also shot dead by bandits, who were suspected to be the same gang that murdered the soldiers.

The policemen were said to have been killed at a police post on the Nembe waterways. A police source, who pleaded anonymity, informed the Nigerian Tribune that the bandits disguised as travellers, but on getting closer to the checkpoint pulled out their guns and opened fire on the officers, who were caught unawares.

According to the source, the four bodies of the slain officers were later retrieved from the water after the gory incident.

Further checks by the Nigerian Tribune indicated that oil installations were not also spared as two pipelines belonging to the Nigerian Agip Oil Company were also attacked by unknown persons at Ogolobiri, in Brass Local Government Area and Tundaba community in Southern Ijaw Local Government Area.

When our correspondent visited the command, the Bayelsa State Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), ASP Eguavoen Emokpae confirmed the development and said soldiers and police officers were combing the areas for the culprits.

“We are beefing security and gathering intelligence to apprehend the bandits. Till now, we have not made any arrest.”

Reacting to the attack, the media coordinator of JTF, Lieutenant-Colonel Timothy Antigha, said that “There are unconfirmed reports of an armed attack on military personnel by yet to be identified gunmen. The attack reportedly took place at about 10.00 a.m. while the personnel were enroute Ogbia from Brass. The details are still sketchy for now, but investigation is on.”

In another development, explosives, suspected to be dynamites, were detonated by unknown persons in Yenagoa on Wednesday night, precipitating fear and pandemonium around the Opolo and Customs roads. But no casualty was recorded in the two separate blasts.

Nigerian Tribune was told that the first explosion went off at Opolo at about 12.45 a.m, close to Diete Koki Memorial Hospital and not far from the headquarters of JTF in the state.

When our correspondent visited the area, it was observed that part of the roof of the security building was damaged by the explosion, just as it drilled a hole on the concrete floor. One of the workers in the hospital, who identified himself simply as Ishmaila, said the building was shaken by the explosion, disclosing that security operatives inspected the area on Thursday morning.

The Opolo blast occurred shortly after another explosion rattled the residents of Customs Road at about 9.30 p.m.
Commenting on the explosion, the state Commissioner of Police, Mr Chris Olakpe, confirmed the development, insisting that the explosions were handiwork of mischief makers, who were on a mission to seek attention, just as he charged the people to disregard the incident and go about their normal business, assuring that culprits would be unmasked soonest.
Re: Bloodbath In Bayelsa by Kilode1: 1:33am On Mar 02, 2012
These are senseless terror attacks.

I fear for the creeks.
Re: Bloodbath In Bayelsa by aljharem(m): 1:35am On Mar 02, 2012
I am still wondering why Nigeria cannot give them 50 % of the proceedings for the crude oil.

The more I think of it, the more I dislike this country.

When the west and the north had cocoa and groundnut, each kept 50 % to themselves, why can't we do that now so the killings from MEND etc would stop.

these politicians are very very greedy
Re: Bloodbath In Bayelsa by Kilode1: 1:45am On Mar 02, 2012
^

Well, at that time we had regionalism. That was something we sat down in Nigeria and London to decide before 1960.

Yes. It was not perfect because of British meddling, but it was adequate until Idealistic military brats came and turned it upside down with no clear plan. So here we are today.

Maybe somebody in power one day will take his/her head out of the sand and do the needful. SNC, radical restructuring or something similar, else this house will perish on all of them anyway.
Re: Bloodbath In Bayelsa by aljharem(m): 1:49am On Mar 02, 2012
Kilode?!:

^

Well, at that time we had regionalism. That was something we sat down in Nigeria and London to decide before 1960. Idealistic military brats came and turned it upside down with no clear plan insight. So here we are today.

Maybe somebody in power one day will take his/her head out of the sand and do the needful. SNC, radical restructuring or something similar, else this house will perish on all of them anyway.

Yes sir, SNC is very needed at this point. Those that don't support the south south to keep their resources for themselves are wicked.

GEJ should veto this thing before he leaves the office, if not after GEJ wahala go shele.
Re: Bloodbath In Bayelsa by tpia5: 1:56am On Mar 02, 2012
Here we go again.

Hope the connection between north boko haram and south boko haram is quite clear now.
Re: Bloodbath In Bayelsa by koruji(m): 2:14am On Mar 02, 2012
The visions of our leaders only extend to their pockets. If not, it is hard to believe that the presidency, the senate, the governors, the army, the "elder statesmen", etc can continue to carry on like everything is well and good in Nigeria.

The country is in the throes of death yet:
Mr. Transformation is talking about election without police in 2015, Jega is yarning theories about electronic voting, OBJ is building his library without looking back, IBB is perched on top of his Minna hill waiting for the inevitable, Ciroma peeks out of hiding to tell GEJ I told you so, GEJ is travelling the world looking for investments, they are promising us constant electricity "soon". . .and on and on.

That last one had me LOL. When GEJ decrees "Let there be light", there will be none.

Kilode?!:

^

Well, at that time we had regionalism. That was something we sat down in Nigeria and London to decide before 1960.

Yes. It was not perfect because of British meddling, but it was adequate until Idealistic military brats came and turned it upside down with no clear plan. So here we are today.

Re: Bloodbath In Bayelsa by HighChief4(m): 2:53am On Mar 02, 2012
tpia@:

Here we go again.

Hope the connection between north boko haram and south boko haram is quite clear now.

Ho sit down, if you dont have something meaningful to contribute.

@OP---Honestly, I really dont blame these guys anymore for anything they do, since after reading that thread Beaf put up the other day, which shows how the oil blocs where shared by some people among their friends.
Re: Bloodbath In Bayelsa by Kilode1: 3:07am On Mar 02, 2012
alj harem:

GEJ should veto this thing before he leaves the office, if not after GEJ wahala go shele.

This comment is interesting to me.

I expect the PDP propaganda machine to use this reasoning in 2015. For a different purpose    grin

Erm, I can be consulted embarassed
Re: Bloodbath In Bayelsa by scriptwizz: 9:37am On Mar 02, 2012
tpia@:

Here we go again.

people like this dumb***ss above shld not be allowed on this forum.
Re: Bloodbath In Bayelsa by seenoevil1: 9:44am On Mar 02, 2012
[size=16pt]THE MILITARY = BOKO HARAM IN UNIFORM / LEGAL "BOKO HARAM" . ANNIHILATE THEM FOR ALL I CARE . NO TEARS HERE grin grin grin grin . ASK THE PEOPLE IN PLATEAU WHO THE REAL BOKO HARAM ARE .[/size]
Re: Bloodbath In Bayelsa by doctokwus: 10:07am On Mar 02, 2012
alj harem:

I am still wondering why Nigeria cannot give them 50 % of the proceedings for the crude oil.

The more I think of it, the more I dislike this country.

When the west and the north had cocoa and groundnut, each kept 50 % to themselves, why can't we do that now so the killings from MEND etc would stop.

these politicians are very very greedy
Kai,dis is d most simplistic& unfortunate thinking av come across.So give dem 50% and d problm will b solved.How will d 50% b shared;every militant gets what,chifs how many,den d politcians.Whereas a gud govt,evn wt what is being shared now with capital& human investment will stem dis senseless bloodlettin
Re: Bloodbath In Bayelsa by Okijajuju1(m): 10:32am On Mar 02, 2012
Time to increase derivation. . . . . angry

50% or nothing. . .

Occupy Niger Delta angry
Re: Bloodbath In Bayelsa by baslone: 10:46am On Mar 02, 2012
I thought they said Militants don't kill! shocked
Re: Bloodbath In Bayelsa by cdoffx(m): 10:54am On Mar 02, 2012
perhaps if the oil is Nationalise and we explore our oil ourselves,if the ND wants her people to take the huge part of the investment so it won't look like they are marginalise by the rich northern political elite again,no problems.then this whole issue might subside.
however i'm afraid of what may come soon if truly a colonel died in that attact the aftermath may not be easy.
wish our leaders will stop runnin after money and face the root problem of the nation other than tryin to use force to bring peace
Re: Bloodbath In Bayelsa by texazzpete(m): 10:58am On Mar 02, 2012
Where's Beaf sef?

Oh, I forgot. now that his brother is in power it is now no longer politically correct to be jubilating and cavorting with glee over the deaths of Nigerian Naval personnel.
Re: Bloodbath In Bayelsa by tpia5: 11:12am On Mar 02, 2012
Here we go again.

Hope the connection between north boko haram and south boko haram is now quite clear.
Re: Bloodbath In Bayelsa by LEXYLOV: 11:26am On Mar 02, 2012
Mr Jonathan Odechukwu Ebele Badluck. What can you do with all this lost of life's and insecurity grip everywhere including your own state everyday
Re: Bloodbath In Bayelsa by maasoap(m): 12:40pm On Mar 02, 2012
I don't understand why south south people do not based their comments on the topic of this nature and possibly condemned it. Instead, they are making indirect and subtle justification for the atrocities perpetrated by their brothers in armed struggle. But when the heat is turned against them, they will start crying genocide. I'm watching how Jonathan will respond to this treason committed by the animals from creeks. People's sense of judgement have been clouded by regionalism.
Re: Bloodbath In Bayelsa by seenoevil1: 12:49pm On Mar 02, 2012
OCCUPY YOUR RESOURCES 50% FOR EVERY REGION . IF YOUR REGION HAS OIL THEN 50% OF THE REVENUE GOES THERE AND IF YOUR REGION PRODUCES COCOA (WEST) AND DUST(NORTH) THEN YOU WOULD GET 50% OF THE REVENUE FROM THE EXPORT OF DUST .  cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Bloodbath In Bayelsa by Samach: 4:45pm On Mar 02, 2012
which way, Nigeria.
Re: Bloodbath In Bayelsa by kilandcure: 5:26pm On Mar 02, 2012
The 13% for Delta state were all taken by only Ibori, even if they give 50. someone will still do away with it.
Re: Bloodbath In Bayelsa by Nobody: 5:39pm On Mar 02, 2012
They are all boko haram, The Northern Boko Haramites said they should get more oil derivation and the Southern boko haram starts, hahahahah

1 by 1, Turn by turn y'all gon kill yourselves,
Re: Bloodbath In Bayelsa by dayokanu(m): 7:00pm On Mar 02, 2012
MEND dont kill innocent Shebi na wetin dem tell us be that

(1) (Reply)

NTDC Boss Mrs Sally Mbanefo In N270m Scandal; Barred From Travelling, Car Seized / Where Is This In Nigeria? / BREAKING NEWS: Three Man Lawyers On Their Way To London To Defend Diezani Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.