Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,363 members, 7,808,268 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:37 AM

How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? (24348 Views)

Women, Childbirth And Laziness / Your Experience During Childbirth In Nigeria / Your Husband in The Labor Room During Childbirth? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? by tiebe: 8:09am On Mar 03, 2012
Please o, does anyone know what the women from the north do to stay silent? do they have some training from when they're young? I just want to know what they do to overcome the pain of childbirth. I heard that walking past the labour ward of a hospital in the north, you wont hear anything apart from the sound of the baby when the baby pops out and not a peep from the woman!
How do they do it o
Re: How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? by agiboma(f): 10:53am On Mar 03, 2012
idk oooo
Re: How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? by dominique(f): 1:11pm On Mar 03, 2012
They have lots and lots of herbal concoctions they drink at different stages of pregnancy to make labour and childbirth as painless as possible.
Re: How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? by blank(f): 2:24pm On Mar 03, 2012
Have you ever seen those Fulani women giving birth, absolutely motionless no flinching. It shows that they are on some local pain killers.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? by tpia5: 3:48pm On Mar 03, 2012
No idea.

Dem try.

it's also possible they take some kind of anesthetic agent that helps numb the pain.
Re: How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? by Nobody: 5:45pm On Mar 03, 2012
Lol, no herbs no jazz oh, we are just taught that it shows how strong and capable you are as a woman to endure pain.
The local women self get mind pass us wey township don spoil. Those ones will give birth alone, clean up and bath the baby. When I was having my baby, I was in pain but determined not to shout, I however gave one scream and that was it, all d pain was in dat one.
My sisters laughed at me sha, but in a way they still hailed me for not shouting and crying.

8 Likes

Re: How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? by tiebe: 6:29pm On Mar 03, 2012
blank:

Have you ever seen those Fulani women giving birth, absolutely motionless no flinching. It shows that they are on some local pain killers.

have you really seen anyone giving birth? I'm just curious and really wanna know if its as they say. cos i hear there's no flinching or anything and i really want to know what they eat that makes something so painful so easy for them

debrief08:

Lol, no herbs no jazz oh, we are just taught that it shows how strong and capable you are as a woman to endure pain.
The local women self get mind pass us wey township don spoil. Those ones will give birth alone, clean up and bath the baby. When I was having my baby, I was in pain but determined not to shout, I however gave one scream and that was it, all d pain was in dat one.
My sisters laughed at me sha, but in a way they still hailed me for not shouting and crying.

seriously? no herbs are given? you're simply just told to endure? wow! i coulda sworn some sort of herbs were given or at least, you'd be taught ways of overcoming the pain apart from plain old endurance. . . cant imagine o.

2 Likes

Re: How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? by Nobody: 6:59pm On Mar 03, 2012
It just inculcated early that the pain is a thing of d mind and not shouting makes you some sort of shinning example so its a culutural thing and a thing of pride.
I am sorry am a bit dijointed and confused a little depressed too, just getting the news of Perx passing. Lord No. I don't even know her personally but am so depressed and in tears.
Re: How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? by tiebe: 8:13pm On Mar 03, 2012
just saw news of her passing. didnt know her either. may her soul rest in peace
Re: How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? by blank(f): 11:43am On Mar 05, 2012
I have only seen one and that one stayed quietly without moving(in a govt hospital). It was when the doctor noticed blood running down her legs that they examined her n saw she was already crowning. If she was not on painkillers, how won't she know she was crowning?
My bro worked in the north as a house officer n said same thing.

1 Like

Re: How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? by mogunremi: 9:55pm On Apr 01, 2012
But surely no painkiller would totally numb the pain, it just lessens it. You would still feel the baby coming, unless on epidural or general/local and you would still feel the urge to push? no
Re: How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? by taryour(f): 10:37pm On Apr 01, 2012
debrief08: Lol, no herbs no jazz oh, we are just taught that it shows how strong and capable you are as a woman to endure pain.

are you for real!!!
Re: How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? by taryour(f): 10:40pm On Apr 01, 2012
blank: I have only seen one and that one stayed quietly without moving(in a govt hospital). It was when the doctor noticed blood running down her legs that they examined her n saw she was already crowning. If she was not on painkillers, how won't she know she was crowning?
My bro worked in the north as a house officer n said same thing.

Oti oo. Have heard this before but i never believed. So it true? God is wonderful
Re: How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? by Daresh(f): 7:12am On Apr 02, 2012
I don't think it pained them like it pained me o! Haba 12 hours of excruciating pain and you say I shd not shout? Oti o!

3 Likes

Re: How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? by taryour(f): 7:22am On Apr 02, 2012
Daresh: I don't think it pained them like it pained me o! Haba 12 hours of excruciating pain and you say I shd not shout? Oti o!
my dear i can only imagine,d way me sef dey shout n scream dey fear peson.
Re: How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? by moduperola(f): 1:49pm On May 15, 2012
I don't know about northern woman and herbs but generally speaking, I think our level of pain endurance differs. Like me for instance, i am an extreemly shy person, so much that I consider it 'unbecoming' of me to scream or cry out in pain. During the delivery of my baby, labour started around 7am and i gave birth around 6:45pm but all through, not even a cry(loud or low) came out of my mouth. Nurses, co-patients, my mum who was around with me were just asking if it wasn't painful. Instead of crying out, i simply went dumb('hhmm' was all i could produce). Infact, when the baby was about coming out and the doctor said 'push', i asked 'how?'. He had to force me(kindof) for the 1 shout that propelled the baby out.

I look forward to birthing my baby myself shocked cool tongue and smiling out to announce to DH(if he hadn't fainted already grin grin) by then.

4 Likes

Re: How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? by EfemenaXY: 9:46pm On May 15, 2012
Interesting thread you've got here @poster.

Yeah, I too have heard stuff about northern ladies not making a squeak during childbirth and the only obvious sign of pain from them, is that they wriggle their toes!

What can I say? I doff my hat to them o! 'cos me, I nor sabi that one. Infact, when the contractions were fairly regular, say at 5min intervals, I start yelling - and boy, do I scream the ward down! How can anyone bear that hot, peppery searing pain in silence

Even with the gas (oxygen) for pain relief, I still scream well-well pass alien sef. Class, composure, breathing techniques, etc go out the window! Na that time my poor hubby go know say im wife get real bad mouth.

Ladies, I don't know about you lot sha, but with the baby's head coming out eh! That one alone feels like an explosion "down there". I always cringe in embarrassment afterwards when I recall the obscenities I uttered during labour cheesy cheesy cheesy

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? by tiebe: 4:06pm On May 16, 2012
I wish I could see a nothern babe giving birth myself. cos i find it hard to imagine that pain that solid can be endured just by 'home training' or what ever it is that makes them keep quite that's not meds!

1 Like

Re: How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? by semid4lyfe(m): 10:45pm On May 16, 2012
Hmmm. . .don't know how those Northern women do it but adherents of the religion of Scientology in the Western world also practice this silent childbirth.
Re: How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? by Horo(m): 2:40pm On May 17, 2012
Nothing morethan faith we have stronger believe with fate that's why u will hardly see northerner wailing over a dead person because that will do no good to the dead
Re: How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? by moderattor: 2:44pm On May 17, 2012
semid4lyfe: Hmmm. . .don't know how those Northern women do it but adherents of the religion of Scientology in the Western world also practice this silent childbirth.
therefore all northern ladies are scientologists smiley
Re: How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? by unite4real: 2:49pm On May 17, 2012
I think you have not heard well. for me i used to hear this familier shout "WAYO ALLAH, WAYO ALLAH" repeatedly.
Re: How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? by naijamatter: 3:13pm On May 17, 2012
who is expecting a baby you or your wife...?
Re: How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? by Lushka(m): 3:13pm On May 17, 2012
@ OP they cry like any other tribe but start normal life easily after child birth. I worked in a labour ward in d north for 3 yrs.
Re: How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? by dandadee: 3:13pm On May 17, 2012
our yoruba women are something else when it comes to childbirth..they would scream..then scatter their hair..then when the baby is coming out they would want to sit up..sitting on the baby's head in the process..then the doctors and midwives are shouting..'lie down and push.you will kill yout baby o'.then she 'll respond(crying with her hands on her head) 'ha i cannot bear this pain o..ye mummy o..'then at this point her husband would cut in to console her and only God knows the insults husbands have endured from yoruba women in laour..

5 Likes

Re: How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? by Nobody: 3:16pm On May 17, 2012
i think it depends on individual wether north or south. tho i gave birth thru cs due to poor contraction.av seen so many women giving birth without much pushing and screaming who are not northern women.na God dey save us o!

1 Like

Re: How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? by mashnino(m): 3:19pm On May 17, 2012
moduperola: I don't know about northern woman and herbs but generally speaking, I think our level of pain endurance differs. Like me for instance, i am an extreemly shy person, so much that I consider it 'unbecoming' of me to scream or cry out in pain. During the delivery of my baby, labour started around 7am and i gave birth around 6:45pm but all through, not even a cry(loud or low) came out of my mouth. Nurses, co-patients, my mum who was around with me were just asking if it wasn't painful. Instead of crying out, i simply went dumb('hhmm' was all i could produce). [b]Infact, when the baby was about coming out and the doctor said 'push', i asked 'how?'. [/b]He had to force me(kindof) for the 1 shout that propelled the baby out.

I look forward to birthing my baby myself shocked cool tongue and smiling out to announce to DH(if he hadn't fainted already grin grin) by then.

Laff wan kill me die
Re: How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? by SisiKill1: 3:20pm On May 17, 2012
dandadee: our yoruba women are something else when it comes to childbirth..they would scream..then scatter their hair..then when the baby is coming out they would want to sit up..sitting on the baby's head in the process..then the doctors and midwives are shouting..'lie down and push.you will kill yout baby o'.then she 'll respond(crying with her hands on her head) 'ha i cannot bear this pain o..ye mummy o..'then at this point her husband would cut in to console her and only God knows the insults husbands have endured from yoruba women in laour..
Lmao!!! cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? by sayusuf(m): 3:24pm On May 17, 2012
is not birth alone, even death, calamity, disease, pain.....does not make us shout...just google the famous fulani culture of beating called sharo, or shadi.
But in d sw (ibadan) where i serve, even spon droop, u will hear shout from all direction ah! Ah! Ah!, kilode!, ah!....sometimes, its funny 2 me.

3 Likes

Re: How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? by Nobody: 3:26pm On May 17, 2012
Efemena_xy: Interesting thread you've got here @poster.

I start yelling - and boy, do I scream the ward down! How can anyone bear that hot, peppery searing pain in silence

Ladies, I don't know about you lot sha, but with the baby's head coming out eh! That one alone feels like an explosion "down there".

Thanks for adding on to my fear. cry cry cry cry cry cry

Thank you very much. Now my stomach is hurting me.

God why us? grin

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Bride-To-Be & Bag Thief Killed By Speeding Cars / Things Every Young Person Should Know In This Day And Age / Please help Find My Kid Brother

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.