Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,331 members, 7,808,120 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:26 AM

British Family Considering Move To Nigeria. Advice Welcomed :) - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / British Family Considering Move To Nigeria. Advice Welcomed :) (15429 Views)

British Mum Leaves Baby To Die During Sex Romp With A Nigerian(PIC) / I'm Seriously Considering Cheating On My Husband / Is Open Marriage Likely to Succeed in Nigeria ?? ( Advice) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: British Family Considering Move To Nigeria. Advice Welcomed :) by Jay5000(m): 4:37pm On Mar 05, 2012
Guardian:

Too much off the point talk.

Answers:

Of the options you have, ABUJA happens to be the best, fair enough, good infrastructure, hygiene is fair enough. But accommodation and upkeep a bit pricey

Schooling isn't much of an issue There are International Schools in Nigeria But you could do well to post some kids offshore to Ghana. Very Safe. Spices up your activities and who knows explore oppurtunities across West Africa.

Entertainment is a big issue for your kids. The kind of entertainment they would desire really doesn't exist out there,  that could dampen their expectation in terms of social life. You can't call going to the moves daily such a pleasure.  smiley neither is going to City Malls such a delight smiley

With respect to Business,  ABUJA is best,  lot's of oppurtunities,  the market out there isn't as crowded as in the East and certainly not as competitive as in Lagos. What's more you have the country's richest and reasonably chic clientele base in ABUJA.

However you must be ready to face the following displeasures. Your desired UK food items are scarce (Substitute available), Electricity is not as cheap and available as in the UK. Transportation is heavily dependent on your owning a car, preferably a 4WD all the time. Luckily fuel  and Labour is fairly affordable and you get to  be chauffeur driven smiley

LAGOS which happens to be quite cosmopolitan would have been a nice choice,  but it's rather quite a hectic place. Crazy traffic, too much competition for your business.
One thing for sure, you have a very large and diverse community of foreigners in Lagos than any other part of the country. This of course if you are so keen on mingling with Europeans more often

Correction - Electricity is way cheaper in Nigeria.
Re: British Family Considering Move To Nigeria. Advice Welcomed :) by iKoksi(m): 4:58pm On Mar 05, 2012
If your Partner is well to do, i.e. has enuf MONEY, then you're about to make d best decision.

BUT plz let your kids complete them Uni in Uk, u'll have a beta quality to cost ratio.
I did my Uni in uk but now work in Nigeria, live @ Abuja, have absolutely 0 regrets!

Kidnapping's not an issue as neither u nor ur partner'll be interested in politics.

Welcome to NIGERIA!
Re: British Family Considering Move To Nigeria. Advice Welcomed :) by Nonybb: 6:59pm On Mar 05, 2012
Children of mixed races are well accepted and i can guarantee that there are very slim chances of racial abuse.  Nigerians are known to only discriminate among themselves, never against foreigners, much less ones with good accents.

When i saw this i was forced to comment. Lol sadly enough its understandable dat uk happens to be the world racist heaven but dont worry amy, nigerians are charming and welcoming lol some ppl may even worship u. We are the happiest ppl on earth and our motto is suffering and smiling. dont worry amy the secret to penetrating the nigerian society is opening ur heart and accepting it the way it is. We may nt be the best place for u to be but u wouldnt regret it if u kept having the conviction that this is what u have to do okay. hhmmm one last thing again amy lol be ready to lose all ur accent, i meant all of them. now be ready to learn and acqint ur self with pigin english aka broken english lolzzz, The language of laughter. Welcome to naija.
Re: British Family Considering Move To Nigeria. Advice Welcomed :) by Henry40: 7:02pm On Mar 05, 2012
Amy, my advice - DON'T COME TO NIGERIA, YET! Why?

-  Electricity: Unlike in the UK where you pay for what you use, and if you'd like to pay less then use less, here in Nigeria YOU PAY, but you hardly ever use! On this point, I'd advice you go to Abuja. There's more value for electricity there and you don't need to pay for it twice { via fuel for generators and actual electricity bills} since electricity is really cheap there. The roads are better and life is comparatively less stressful.
-  Standard of Life: Although cost of living in Nigeria is comparatively low, standard of life is even lower. I suggest you know the sort of "business" your father-in-law is doing first, then think up ways of bringing it up to the standard that would afford you the standard of living you're used to {or want}, if it isn't already. Come to Nigeria only when you've been successful in preparing a befitting standard of living when you arrive, and not before. At the end of the day, everything about living in Nigeria boils down to that - standard of life. Since you've been called to the bar in the UK, you wouldn't find it difficult to secure a high standard of living, especially in Abuja. First, you're a graduate, second, a professional, third UK trained, and lastly, and most importantly, WHITE!
-  Honesty: You should be aware {regardless of how patriotic I would even care to admit} that Nigerians are generally dishonest. Keep that at the back of your mind in everything you do whenever you come around, or else you'd become a victim so many times that you might get frustrated back. There's a saying in Nigeria - Shine your eyes!
-  In laws: Know who your in-laws really are. Some of them are green snakes in the grass.
-  Security: In Nigeria, your security is in your own hands, and not an outsider's. This is a place "standard of life" {above} becomes important. If you have a high standard of life, then you'd probably be in a position to afford yourself security.

These are all I have for you, for now!
Re: British Family Considering Move To Nigeria. Advice Welcomed :) by Genius100: 7:06pm On Mar 05, 2012
agiboma:

Hi Amy,

I'm a Canadian living in Nigeria now with my Canadian son he's 19 months and his father who is Nigerian. I got a question for you, have you ever visited this country. You need to see it befor you make such a BIG move.
1.) The places you mentioned i can only voice my opinion for 2 places Aba, DEFINETLY NOOOOOO, locals have labelled it the dirtiest city in Nigeria. Abuja is simply beautiful, but expensive, you would be best their imo. I never been to ebonyi so i cant comment. All the things you mentioned about the UK they understandable, but I dont think Nigeria is the answer. All the families i know both parents are Nigerian that moved back from Canada to Nigeria, their move did not last long and they had kids your age, the children hated it, no light so they cant watch t.v, the roads are bad, they missed their friends. If you think its the lesser of two evils please think again.
2.) Also as a white woman your always gonna be hearing them talk about "oyibo" (it means white person) i hate that word they call me it every time and im not even white,I'm black go figure smh. Their also gonna refer to your kids with that term. My hubby's biracial friends kids and his white wife, did not last long here and they hated it for all the reason's i stated previously but most of all the kids felt discriminated because of that word and the attention they got as being biracial.

I know you are afraid to raise black teenage boys in the UK, but honestly their life won't be much easier over here either. To an extent because of my accent I fell discriminated against at times. Talking to locals and they dont understand my English because of my heaven Canadian accent omg. These are hurdles that you are definetly gonna face. teach your kids the right things such as avoiding, drugs, gangs etc. Dont disrupt your lives and come to this messed up society.

3.) The school system is crap unless you got some serious cheddar, you can enrol your kid in a very nice school. The best school in my area the yearly tuition is like 50k USD a year.
4.) About your business you can defiently start your own business and make money in time

Please think really hard about this move, wishing you all the best

You are being overly dramatic here. When Nigerians call white people oyibo, it is by no means derogatory. The attention a biracial or white person gets in Nigeria is mostly positive. If you can't deal with it, then you probably have other issues,

1 Like

Re: British Family Considering Move To Nigeria. Advice Welcomed :) by amy3(f): 7:36pm On Mar 05, 2012
Thankyou for so many helpful replies.

I have lot's to ponder over.

I was asked a few things - His father runs a very good business and his family is pretty wealthy and as we have our own financial backing we should be able to afford a safe and pretty good standard of living. ikoksi you mention politics, his father is a political figure which led to his kidnapping last year however my partner is keen to assure me that its blown over in the area and all is safe. That was my main concern. However I trust that my partner would never put us in harms way so I am a little less freaked out by it that now lol. He points out thar In the UK I will have more chance of a youth in designer clothing stabbing me or battering me for the sake of filming it on his latest smartphone so as he can share it on you tube. He probably isn't far off cheesy
Re: British Family Considering Move To Nigeria. Advice Welcomed :) by Osama10(m): 7:39pm On Mar 05, 2012
Before you make such a move you need serious analysis just as some have mentioned earlier on.

If you must move over here, I can only say Abuja.
Re: British Family Considering Move To Nigeria. Advice Welcomed :) by DerMeister: 7:40pm On Mar 05, 2012
If you really have to move to nigeria, I suggest you pay a visit 1st. See a few of the major towns: Abuja, Lagos, PH, Calabar, I think you'd be most comfortable in Abuja as it's organized and well managed with relatively decent infrastructure. The weather is dry and hot though. Calabar is also decent and organized and cheaper than Abuja.

Jobwise, the labour market sucks, if you're entrepreneurial, you could start your own biz,

There are some good schools but they are pricey. Children will always adapt, teenagers maybe a bit difficult depending on how they were raised,

As for gaming, 4get online gaming and make do with campaigns or survival modes ( for MW3 grin )

In summary, pay a visit and see things for your self and decide if you can live with what's on ground.
Re: British Family Considering Move To Nigeria. Advice Welcomed :) by europe76(m): 7:48pm On Mar 05, 2012
@makky, wat u just said is the best advise! Others are talking trash, How can Nigeria move forward wen our fellow bothers and sisters are down trodden our great nation.
Re: British Family Considering Move To Nigeria. Advice Welcomed :) by agiboma(f): 8:09pm On Mar 05, 2012
1stCitizen:

The bolded just gave you away. Omo naija turned oyinbo grin grin grin

Certifiably, verifiably NON- NIGERIAN lovie, just been with one for 10 years now, so i picked up a few words, sue me baby

Genius100:

You are being overly dramatic here. When Nigerians call white people oyibo, it is by no means derogatory. The attention a biracial or white person gets in Nigeria is mostly positive. If you can't deal with it, then you probably have other issues,

I THINK NOT, my hubby's friend biracial kids and the white mom felt the same way i did they say the word as an insult, no matter how Nigerians perceive the term some foreigners see it differently. Got it, good.

Henry40:

Amy, my advice - DON'T COME TO NIGERIA, YET! Why?

-  Electricity: Unlike in the UK where you pay for what you use, and if you'd like to pay less then use less, here in Nigeria YOU PAY, but you hardly ever use! On this point, I'd advice you go to Abuja. There's more value for electricity there and you don't need to pay for it twice { via fuel for generators and actual electricity bills} since electricity is really cheap there. The roads are better and life is comparatively less stressful.
-  Standard of Life: Although cost of living in Nigeria is comparatively low, standard of life is even lower. I suggest you know the sort of "business" your father-in-law is doing first, then think up ways of bringing it up to the standard that would afford you the standard of living you're used to {or want}, if it isn't already. Come to Nigeria only when you've been successful in preparing a befitting standard of living when you arrive, and not before. At the end of the day, everything about living in Nigeria boils down to that - standard of life. Since you've been called to the bar in the UK, you wouldn't find it difficult to secure a high standard of living, especially in Abuja. First, you're a graduate, second, a professional, third UK trained, and lastly, and most importantly, WHITE!
-  Honesty: You should be aware {regardless of how patriotic I would even care to admit} that Nigerians are generally dishonest. Keep that at the back of your mind in everything you do whenever you come around, or else you'd become a victim so many times that you might get frustrated back. There's a saying in Nigeria - Shine your eyes!
-  In laws: Know who your in-laws really are. Some of them are green snakes in the grass.
-  Security: In Nigeria, your security is in your own hands, and not an outsider's. This is a place "standard of life" {above} becomes important. If you have a high standard of life, then you'd probably be in a position to afford yourself security.

These are all I have for you, for now!

Well said this is the true reality of this country, Our family rides around with a loaded gun in our car for safety, when you cant count on police for protection.

europe76:

@makky, wat u just said is the best advise! Others are talking trash, How can Nigeria move forward wen our fellow bothers and sisters are down trodden our great nation.

Yeah you keep living in your fairy tale world, no light, no road, ohh give me a break, what is good about this
Re: British Family Considering Move To Nigeria. Advice Welcomed :) by mykejones(m): 8:55pm On Mar 05, 2012
Hahahaha.
Am laughing. I dey laf.
Com sha. Jonathan is giving us fresh air, com and enjoy of it!

1 Like

Re: British Family Considering Move To Nigeria. Advice Welcomed :) by silentc(m): 9:27pm On Mar 05, 2012
agiboma:

Certifiably, verifiably NON- NIGERIAN lovie, just been with one for 10 years now, so i picked up a few words, sue me baby

I THINK NOT, my hubby's friend biracial kids and the white mom felt the same way i did they say the word as an insult, no matter how Nigerians perceive the term some foreigners see it differently. Got it, good.

Well said this is the true reality of this country, Our family rides around with a loaded gun in our car for safety, when you cant count on police for protection.

Yeah you keep living in your fairy tale world, no light, no road, ohh give me a break, what is good about this

Agiboma, it seems you are not happy in Nigeria. Life is all about choices and if you are not happy, then it would be best that you go back to Toronto.

I am sure you moved to Nigeria with your partner in good faith, but if you did it as a sacrifice, then you cant keep "complaining" about it. I am not saying you are not incorrect with regards to your observations about Nigeria, but I feel your tone comes across as bitter about your life in Nigeria due to your marriage commitments.

Look at it this way, can you say 3 good things about Nigeria? You are very articulate about the negative sides of the country. If there is nothing positive for you, then it would make sense to go where you are happier.

Who am i to judge you. . . . . i am sharing my opinion, but I may be out of line.

1 Like

Re: British Family Considering Move To Nigeria. Advice Welcomed :) by assetstrap(m): 9:36pm On Mar 05, 2012
@AGIBOMA where exactly do you live in Nigeria? and if Nigeria is so terrible what r u still doing there! Listen Naija is no bowl of cherries but it can also be a nice place to live. There are so many foreigners living and working in Nigeria and doing very well thank you very much.
Re: British Family Considering Move To Nigeria. Advice Welcomed :) by agiboma(f): 9:52pm On Mar 05, 2012
silentc:

Agiboma, it seems you are not happy in Nigeria. Life is all about choices and if you are not happy, then it would be best that you go back to Toronto.

I am sure you moved to Nigeria with your partner in good faith, but if you did it as a sacrifice, then you cant keep "complaining" about it. I am not saying you are not incorrect with regards to your observations about Nigeria, but I feel your tone comes across as bitter about your life in Nigeria due to your marriage commitments.

Look at it this way, can you say 3 good things about Nigeria? You are very articulate about the negative sides of the country. If there is nothing positive for you, then it would make sense to go where you are happier.

Who am i to judge you. . . . . i am sharing my opinion, but I may be out of line.

Not bitter, and yes you are somewhat out of line. you know the state of this country as do I, op asked questions pertaining to this and i answered honestly. What should i lie and say its paradise on earth i think not. I complain about Canada also, if someone asked the same question pertaining to Canada i would state the negatives also.
3 good things about Nigeria well the 1. weather is very nice 2.) make more money over here, than in Canada 3.) Over here i can stay @ home and raise my son

assetstrap:

@AGIBOMA where exactly do you live in Nigeria? and if Nigeria is so terrible what r u still doing there! Listen Naija is no bowl of cherries but it can also be a nice place to live. There are so many foreigners living and working in Nigeria and doing very well thank you very much.

I am not suffering financially like i said the money i make over here i can stay at home with my son so I cannot complain about that, but when someone ask about the state of this Country i will give them my opinion Un bias and un diluted. I live in PH city

1 Like

Re: British Family Considering Move To Nigeria. Advice Welcomed :) by clintwine(m): 10:53pm On Mar 05, 2012
Amy its all up to you, if you say that your husband's dad is a wealthy political man, then u would probably live a better quality of life (QOL) in Nigeria than here in the UK
however, you would live a lower Standard of Life (SOL) in Nigeria.

its better taking advice, from those who have lived in Nigeria -> then lived in UK --> Then back to Nigeria. Rather than someone looking for any chance to leave Nigeria and thinks UK is a dream country.

I have noticed that many people who have stayed here for a long while would never encourage someone going back to Nigeria even when they are suffering and smiling (They mostly have this mentality/picture of Nigeria in the 80s/90s.

For those that say they call them oyibo, while in Naija in the markets people call me oyibo even when am black (cos am a bit light), its nothing derogatory or insulting. No one will ever pick on your kid for being Oyibo.

In terms of education, place your kids in one of the best secondary schools, when it comes to university, they are best doing it abroad.(or in private uni in Nigeria and masters abroad)

Someone mentioned that teen pregnancies are in Nigeria, but what they failed to mention is that the UK ratio to that of Nigeria is about 500:1
I haven't even mentioned the heavy drinking and sleeping around.(tue, thurs, sat nights out)

Its funny when a Nigerian parent is migrating with the kids abroad, all these funny topics about missing friends , very cold weather , don't come up; but when its the other way people come up with million of excuses

Granted, you would never be guaranteed 24hr light, but i guess we would love to have kids who quickly adjust to any change in the environment, than those who moan about it

Its unfortunate that you can contemplate breaking a relationship of many years just because of a move, even though he has stayed these many years with you in uk
The last time i checked, Nigeria doesn't kill kids.

Before i wrap up, i do remember that one of the directors of firstbank (she used to head the HR) is not Nigerian but she and her kids adjusted and they are doing well.

Its all about how you see the move, as the saying goes, some see a half glass as half empty and another as half full.

There will be challenges, just like anywhere else, you just deal with them

2 Likes

Re: British Family Considering Move To Nigeria. Advice Welcomed :) by dasparrow: 12:19am On Mar 06, 2012
silentc:

Bros, I thought the same thing and NO you were not out of line because her post did come across as not only bitter but rude and I am sick of nagging foreigners like herself. Agiboma sounds bitter and frustrated though she will try to deny it which does not suprise me. This is an online community so the tone of the post will dictate how a post is perceived by the readers/fellow forumites. I am just tired of all these foreign women who marry our people and then later on become so bitter when their life does not turn out the way they had previously imagined. It is not by force to live in Nigeria the last time I checked. Foreigners are welcome to leave Nigeria at anytime rather than coming on a Nigerian online community to complain and nag bitterly all under the disguise of giving 'advice'.

assetstrap:

I wonder! The last time I checked, we adults have the right to decide where we want to live and which nationality we choose to marry from. She no see black canadian male for canada wey she for marry? This is why we Nigerians need to open our eyes before we jump to marry all these potentially bitter and frustrated akatas from canada or america. Nonsense! angry

agiboma:

Not bitter, and yes you are somewhat out of line. you know the state of this country as do I, op asked questions pertaining to this and i answered honestly. What should i lie and say its paradise on earth i think not. I complain about Canada also, if someone asked the same question pertaining to Canada i would state the negatives also.
3 good things about Nigeria well the 1. weather is very nice 2.) make more money over here, than in Canada 3.) Over here i can stay @ home and raise my son

I am not suffering financially like i said the money i make over here i can stay at home with my son so I cannot complain about that, but when someone ask about the state of this Country i will give them my opinion Un bias and un diluted. I live in PH city

Yes you are bitter Agiboma and very much so because the tone of your post sounds not only bitter but downright rude. Agiboma, no one put a gun to your head and forced you to marry a Nigerian. You could have married a fellow black canadian like yourself and spared yourself the possibility and frustration of having to live in a foreign country. I am sure there are enough black canadian males of american and carribbean descent born and brought up in Canada that you could have married and started a family with. Don't pretend that you are not bitter because your posts on this thread and the tone of each one proves otherwise. It is not by force to live in Nigeria. I am sure you still have your Canadian passport handy. You can hop into the next plane with your toodler and go back to your 'perfect' Canada, LOL

Secondly, Nigerians don't only call whites and black foreigners 'oyibo'. Even those of us who were born to Nigerian parents abroad but partially raised in Nigeria are referred to as 'oyibo' by the all Nigerian-bred populace. Then there are kids who were raised in Nigeria by very wealthy parents and spend their holidays in the USA, UK and the likes and as such may act culturally differently and thus be labelled or called 'oyibo' as well. As another thread contributor already pointed out, the term 'oyibo' is not deragatory. I will rather be called 'oyibo' than be called a 'Nigger' which white people will not hesitate to call black people in predominately white countries including your so-called Canada. And please don't even attempt to deny that a white person has never before in your entire life used a racial slur on you as a black person living in predominately white Canada. Even white/black biracials are not immune to white rascism as the OP Amy mentioned in her post much less a black person like yourself.

Lastly, anywhere in the world you go outside of the country where you were born and bred, you are going to encounter problems with your accent. If you sincerely can't deal with this fact, you should have no business living in another country other than your own. When I first moved to the United States, I was constantly harrased by Americans of all ethnicities due to my foreign (non-american accent) and my Nigerian name. Though my original accent has somewhat mellowed down because I came to the USA as a young adult, I still from time to time come across ignorant people who complain about my accent even though I speak articulately. I don't plan to live amongst non Africans for life so I could care less. If americans choose to treat me rudely because of my foreign accent, I reciprocate the gesture and give them a taste of their own medicine, that's all. So with that said, if you are not happy in Nigeria, GO HOME! We Nigerians are all too aware of all the problems facing our nation and we Nigerians criticize the state of Nigeria more than anyone else. Just read the posts in various threads as evidence of that. No one is saying that you should not give Amy the white Brit sincere advice. However, some of us could not help but notice your bitter, spiteful, condescending tone post after post and since you refused to cut it out with the nonsense, some of us were compelled to say something to you. Agiboma, this forum is for Nigerians and friends of Nigerians NOT foes. So, you are welcome to move back to your predominately white canada where life is simply perfect and your thick canadian accent will be understood by your fellow citizens. Meanwhile, you can also find yourself a canadian online community/forum whilst you are it. Goodluck!

1 Like

Re: British Family Considering Move To Nigeria. Advice Welcomed :) by lilkech(m): 12:33am On Mar 06, 2012
@op :

THEY SEE YOU

THEY MONITOR YOU

THEY KIDNAP YOU
Re: British Family Considering Move To Nigeria. Advice Welcomed :) by mekussays: 2:02am On Mar 06, 2012
@dasparrow ur comment is too violent and aggressive. Agiboma is saying the perfect truth. Nigeria is a messed up society that lost so many things as a result of negligence and rot in the system. Absolutely nothing works and for some1 coming for the first time, nigeria can be a scary place. althou i dont agree with agiboma regarding this oyibo issue but it is just her opinion. Like am sure there are things you hate being called even thou it doesnt mean anything. Back to dasparrow all your comment was only focused toward agiboma while u did not answer any question of the poster. That is a typical nigerian for you. just commenting without real reasoning.

@amy abuja lagos and calabar are where foreigners are mainly based so am sure u wont really find life difficult there. All you have to do is develop a thick skin and nigeria will be fine for you. You mentioned that you guys are financially ok so am sure you would be able to make most things comfortable for your family. your kids wont really have a problem because there are international schools that will cater for them very well. they will never be discrimated as nigerian adore mixed kids.

Also finding a job for your self depends on who your husband knws in nigeria. if his dad is really big in politics you can get a job ASAP.
From your post it seems ur husband has reassured you that nigeria will be fine for you guys so just follow ur heart and also remember that there are so many foreigners in nigeria that love nigeria and never want to go back. so u can be one of them. Also remember that u can always travel to uk anytime u want to if u get tired

best of luck amy
Re: British Family Considering Move To Nigeria. Advice Welcomed :) by linearity: 3:47am On Mar 06, 2012
So, why can't the Son run the family business in Nigeria from UK?

As you indicated, the business have branches in Abuja, Abia, Ebony, etc, it is even more faster for the Son to deploy to Abuja from UK to handle an emergency than some1 from Abia or Ebony.

In this 21st Century, their many options to manage businesses that are not local.

If you still seriously want to go, I will advice you take the kids there for an extended holiday visitation eg 2-3 months when they are on holiday and get back to UK and compare notes with your kids. You must consider their opinion as well, not just your husband's family obligations and your obligations to your husband.
Re: British Family Considering Move To Nigeria. Advice Welcomed :) by agiboma(f): 3:52am On Mar 06, 2012
mekussays:

@dasparrow ur comment is too violent and aggressive. Agiboma is saying the perfect truth. Nigeria is a messed up society that lost so many things as a result of negligence and rot in the system. Absolutely nothing works and for some1 coming for the first time, nigeria can be a scary place. althou i dont agree with agiboma regarding this oyibo issue but it is just her opinion. Like am sure there are things you hate being called even thou it doesnt mean anything. Back to dasparrow all your comment was only focused toward agiboma while u did not answer any question of the poster. That is a typical nigerian for you. just commenting without real reasoning.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH
Re: British Family Considering Move To Nigeria. Advice Welcomed :) by Godogwu: 5:26am On Mar 06, 2012
Re: British Family Considering Move To Nigeria. Advice Welcomed :) by freshcvv(m): 9:19am On Mar 06, 2012
@mekussays

If what she's saying is the perfect truth, why is she still here? undecided

1 Like

Re: British Family Considering Move To Nigeria. Advice Welcomed :) by Biggybountz: 10:48am On Mar 06, 2012
Re: British Family Considering Move To Nigeria. Advice Welcomed :) by Nobody: 12:57pm On Mar 06, 2012
@agiboma. there is nothing derogatory in being called oyinbo,, I am 100% Nigerian but light skinned not albino. yet people call me oyinbo, i have never taken it in a wrong away. it is more of admiration. my mum's permanent name in our villa is oyibo up till now just because she is light skinned. So i dont' see it as a disadvantage to the poster
Re: British Family Considering Move To Nigeria. Advice Welcomed :) by agiboma(f): 1:10pm On Mar 06, 2012
tochimas:

@agiboma. there is nothing derogatory in being called oyinbo,, I am 100% Nigerian but light skinned not albino. yet people call me oyinbo, i have never taken it in a wrong away. it is more of admiration. my mum's permanent name in our villa is oyibo up till now just because she is light skinned. So i dont' see it as a disadvantage to the poster

Ok, i just told her to get ready to hear that word a lot, personally i dont like the word that is all i said. Some ppl like it and others dont. I understand its not ment to be an insult but its a hard learning curve to overcome.
Re: British Family Considering Move To Nigeria. Advice Welcomed :) by mekussays: 1:29pm On Mar 06, 2012
freshcvv:

@mekussays

If what she's saying is the perfect truth, why is she still here? undecided

freshcvv, is nigeria a working society? if u were a foreigner hw would u see nigeria?

the reason why she is still there i guess is because of her husband. she is married to a nigerian and loves him. Even we nigerian are tired of nigeria only that we dont have any choice but to stay put and battle all the daily wahala.

There is no need for denial about nigeria and it best to openly speak about our problems than beat around the bush.

1 Like

Re: British Family Considering Move To Nigeria. Advice Welcomed :) by outrival: 2:05pm On Mar 06, 2012
Amy, its not as bad as people present it. I will always say Nigeria is a good place to live. The only reservation in connection to your case is the job. Getting job in Nigeria is not easy at all but you can do business if you dont have the connection to fetch you good job.
Re: British Family Considering Move To Nigeria. Advice Welcomed :) by Koolking(m): 2:43pm On Mar 06, 2012
@makky, I have so much respect for you. Your advise was objectively and intelligently given. I doff my hat for your maturity. Nigeria needs a few more people like you who yearn for change. This country is ours, I can never forsake her nor feel ashame about her no matter how soiled our leaders make it looks. A day of reckoning will soon come.

@Violent: You are credible. You have my deepest respect for your upbringing. You are sound and responsible. Above all you are very passionate in what you believe in.

@op and everyone: There are endless opportunities in life. Choices abound. Life is what we make of it; the power to turn it right is in our hands and the power to make a mess of it is also in our hands. This analogy should be the guiding principle to the Op.

If you still wait to be told how best to live your life then you are not a rational human being.

Thumbs up folks.
Re: British Family Considering Move To Nigeria. Advice Welcomed :) by clintwine(m): 6:33pm On Mar 06, 2012
mekussays:

freshcvv,  is nigeria a working society?  if u were a foreigner hw would u see nigeria? 

the reason why she is still there i guess is because of her husband. she is married to a nigerian and loves him. Even we nigerian are tired of nigeria only that we dont have any choice but to stay put and battle all the daily wahala.

There is no need for denial about nigeria and it best to openly speak about our problems than beat around the bush.

Unfortunately when you leave Nigeria, your eyes would be opened and you would find out that all that glitters is not gold.

I remember asking some of my friends when i came to the uk why they would go home and spray money they don't have(giving the impression that everything is rosy here) while they are doing menial jobs and living in one rooms or houses they have to pay mortgages for many years before they own.

My advice to any Nigerian is simple UK will be a great place to live if you live in poverty or are struggling to survive (in terms of you can't have 3 meals a day).
If you have a job and live a decent life, you are better off.

I usually feel very bad when i go into clubs and i use the toilet and all i see are Nigerians cleaning the toilets and sitting there.

Having said that i do share your sentiments mekussays, i believe that these embezzling , corrupt , greedy , conniving politicians should be tied to the stick and shot (Rawlings style) cos what they are doing to Nigerians is equivalent to modern day slavery (with no physical chains involved)
Re: British Family Considering Move To Nigeria. Advice Welcomed :) by agiboma(f): 8:52pm On Mar 06, 2012
clintwine:

Unfortunately when you leave Nigeria, your eyes would be opened and you would find out that all that glitters is not gold.

I remember asking some of my friends when i came to the uk why they would go home and spray money they don't have(giving the impression that everything is rosy here) while they are doing menial jobs and living in one rooms or houses they have to pay mortgages for many years before they own.

If you have a job and live a decent life, you are better off.

That is why i am here, althought the system is messed up my life is better, here i have my own business and live well. In Canada I would have to work 9-5, miss out on raising my son because i would always be @ work. Here we make way more and still pay the mortgage in Canada and live very comforteble in Nigeria. Listen this country can be so wonderful, but as you stated the leaders and corruption has rotted the society. Nigerians that come on this thread in denial are the one's attacking me. Its only when the people stand together change will come. Look at what happened when everyone put their foot down about the fuel subsity removal omg who ever thought that would happen. If Nigerians come together in numbers and hold their leaders accountable, well i think this corruption will eventually be a thing of the past, but with so many living in denial I am not sure when that will happen in this country. Instead of attacking me do something about it. Look @ Egypt it was 1 person that started the road to change. Just food for thought!

1 Like

Re: British Family Considering Move To Nigeria. Advice Welcomed :) by Ecalos: 10:18pm On Mar 06, 2012
^^^^Agiboma, the only reason why people are hammering on your case is because they know you are saying the truth. Nigerians are a prideful bunch for the most part and they do not like it when "foreigners" say anything negative about their country even though what the foreigner says may be 150% correct, Its an ego thing, We all know how messed up our country is and we only hope for a better Nigeria in the future. But there is really no need living in Denial.

To the poster, I will say You husband comes first even before your kids. Don't ever misplace that scale of preference, I understand how mothers love their kids to death but never should our kids come before our husbands (yeah some will say it depends on the kind of husband you have but whatever). Test the land first before uprooting those teenagers to a land they have never been to, If anything, I believe you and your husband can go live in Naija while your kids finish up their schooling in the UK. The character and morality of a child does not necessarily stem from the environment they get raised in. Responsibility begins at home so no matter how much you think raising them in naija will make them more "responsible", it will never happen if you do not raise your children the way you are supposed to -In the Lord.

1 Like

Re: British Family Considering Move To Nigeria. Advice Welcomed :) by cap28: 11:55pm On Mar 06, 2012
why are we so desperate to be of assistance to our enemies?

If this poster is in fact a white british woman (which i doubt) - why should we care about her welfare?

lets put the shoe on the other foot - how many white british people would be willing to give a nigerian family advice on how to relocate and get started in britain?

how do white british people view nigerians in the work place? how supportive are they towards nigerians who are new to their country?

if you are on the same page as me i'm sure that you would have come to the same conclusion as me that the answer is none.

if i were given a penny for the number of white british people who have asked me why i am in their country, when am i going back i woudl be a millionaire and yet, and yet we have some dumb nigerians on here giving this white british woman advice on how she can get a good job, upgrade herself and her lifestyle and have access to a standard of living that many nigerians in nigeria itself do not even have - they say charity begins at home - i noticed that some self hating nigerians even had the audacity to brag that nigerians treat foreigners better than their own people - shame on you. How many white people do you know that treat foreigners better than their own people? This same woman who is begging for advice on here would never put you before her own people if you came to britain looking for a better life.

If you have never worked with white british people please do not respond to my post, i have worked with them and i know how much they despise black people. They smile in your face but will stop at nothing to make your life a living hell.

Nigerians stop feeling inferior to whites - they have no respect for you and just use you to get what they want, the whites in nigeria are only there because they are living a lifestyle they could only dream about in the UK. I work with these people and they have nothing good to say about africa and africans.

Forget about all the bullshi.t and lies many delusional fools tell you on here.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

I See No Good Reason To Marry / 15 And Pregnant / List Of Banned Baby Names Around The World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 154
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.