Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,503 members, 7,808,852 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:57 PM

British Family Considering Move To Nigeria. Advice Welcomed :) - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / British Family Considering Move To Nigeria. Advice Welcomed :) (15430 Views)

British Mum Leaves Baby To Die During Sex Romp With A Nigerian(PIC) / I'm Seriously Considering Cheating On My Husband / Is Open Marriage Likely to Succeed in Nigeria ?? ( Advice) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: British Family Considering Move To Nigeria. Advice Welcomed :) by otokx(m): 4:31pm On Mar 07, 2012
But how can her husband have an obligation first to his family; that sounds insane to me.
Re: British Family Considering Move To Nigeria. Advice Welcomed :) by clintwine(m): 4:47pm On Mar 07, 2012
Sky-walker, i agree with you ; cap28 and mar, ; have big issues. Don't blame them though i just remembered my friend, he felt he was always treated differently and the annoying bit would be the Oyibo will be smiling and killing you at the same time. There was this time we went for a house, it was fantastic , the agent woman was supposedly nice, i decided to give her over 200% of what she said was the deposit to show interest.
Only for the woman to send us a mail that we can't get the place at the last minute. when we got there , the woman was smiling and saying i am so sorry. My friend exploded and was like stop smiling at me, the news doesn't warrant a smile, you are racist ,

But in all honesty, i think just 20% of whites genuinely like a black guy, the other 80% are just trying to be politically correct.

2 Likes

Re: British Family Considering Move To Nigeria. Advice Welcomed :) by Skywalker5(m): 4:50pm On Mar 07, 2012
clintwine:

Sky-walker, i agree with you ; cap28 and mar, ; have big issues. Don't blame them though i just remembered my friend, he felt he was always treated differently and the annoying bit would be the Oyibo will be smiling and killing you at the same time. There was this time we went for a house, it was fantastic , the agent woman was supposedly nice, i decided to give her over 200% of what she said was the deposit to show interest.
Only for the woman to send us a mail that we can't get the place at the last minute. when we got there , the woman was smiling and saying i am so sorry. My friend exploded and was like stop smiling at me, the news doesn't warrant a smile, you are racist ,

But in all honesty, i think just 20% of whites genuinely like a black guy, the other 80% are just trying to be politically correct.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin Are you serious?
Re: British Family Considering Move To Nigeria. Advice Welcomed :) by cap28: 5:16pm On Mar 07, 2012
Sky-walker:

Listen Man, you need help. You blame everyone for your problems? My job role involves a graduate. 95% of staffs in my company are graduates.That was the prerequisite. My pay is very good.I dont know where you get your idea of slave pay. I told you i am an administrator here not some support guy.Think how you want. i already told you, you need to change who your roll with and who you relate with. Its obvious the type of job you doing because you are frustrated that you not getting the respect you want. Must you take it out on innocent people?
FYI i love the job i do because i am treated with respect unlike some places in Nigeria where Mangers and MD talk down at staffs. You need to look it up on Nairaland how some people in Nigerian complain on how managers shouts and disrespect them and thats meant to be a professional environment

telling it how it is does not equate to blaming people for your problems.

you are under the misapprehension that you are in an advantageous position when the reality is that you are just another drone employed to do a job meant for two or probably three people.

they know you will be grateful for what they have given you because they are the same people who have destroyed your economy and created mass unemployment and poverty in your country of origin. As a result they know that you will remain eternally grateful for the little crumbs they flick in your direction.

I dont roll with anyone who is not aware of what is going on, unlike you who refuses to wake up from your dream world.

You can never be treated equally to a white person no matter how much you try to lie to yourself, if Obama still faces racist treatment why would a lowly IT guy like you be treated any differently?
I see guys like you all the time - meek and mild and always desperate to please whitey, he doesnt respect you because he controls you - anyone who controls your livelihood can never respect you.
Re: British Family Considering Move To Nigeria. Advice Welcomed :) by Skywalker5(m): 5:30pm On Mar 07, 2012
cap28:

telling it how it is does not equate to blaming  people for your problems.

you are under the misapprehension that you are in an advantageous position when the reality is that you are just another drone employed to do a job meant for two or probably three  people. 

they know you will be grateful for what they have given you because they are the same people who have destroyed your economy and created mass unemployment and poverty in your country of origin.  As a result they know that you will remain eternally grateful for the little crumbs they flick in your direction.

I dont roll with anyone who is not aware of what is going on, unlike you who refuses to wake up from your dream world.

You can never be treated equally to a white person no matter how much you try to lie to yourself, if Obama still faces racist treatment why would a lowly IT guy like you be treated any differently?
I see guys like you all the time - meek and mild and always desperate to please whitey, he doesnt respect you because he controls you - anyone who controls your livelihood can never respect you.

The truth is you are racist. No doubt about it. This is how racist think.

You know what. Thank you. I please whity. If that makes you feel better. i know i was given a chance which my country did not give me.The same chance you ran away from Nigerian to UK to come and get.

I have told you.i follow my job description. i dont please people, I mange the network and resolve the issue and i propose plans.i dont go around finding people to please. I only please the computers and network devices i work with? You can say what you want.Listen man, i  You sound very frustrated.You are part of the people who think when things dont go the way they want, they play the race card like clintwine's friend did for the house. I see no reason why i have to argue with you.

This kind of attitude will get you nowhere in life. You see them everyday.you are the one who is killing yourself. Noboday cares what you think. Go around hating while everyone else is enjoying themselves.This is the only place you can express your racist mind cuz you scared in the real world.

Foreigners did not destroy Nigeria. We Nigerians did. You read it on the news everyday how your corrupt politicians are taking money out of Nigeria but due to your racist mind, you blame someone else.

cap28:

You mean racist people like you.
Re: British Family Considering Move To Nigeria. Advice Welcomed :) by cap28: 6:22pm On Mar 07, 2012
Sky-walker:

The truth is you are racist. No doubt about it. This is how racist think.

You know what. Thank you. I please whity. If that makes you feel better. i know i was given a chance which my country did not give me.The same chance you ran away from Nigerian to UK to come and get.

I have told you.i follow my job description. i dont please people, I mange the network and resolve the issue and i propose plans.i dont go around finding people to please. I only please the computers and network devices i work with? You can say what you want.Listen man, i You sound very frustrated.You are part of the people who think when things dont go the way they want, they play the race card like clintwine's friend did for the house. I see no reason why i have to argue with you.

This kind of attitude will get you nowhere in life. You see them everyday.you are the one who is killing yourself. Noboday cares what you think. Go around hating while everyone else is enjoying themselves.This is the only place you can express your racist mind cuz you scared in the real world.

Foreigners did not destroy Nigeria. We Nigerians did. You read it on the news everyday how your corrupt politicians are taking money out of Nigeria but due to your racist mind, you blame someone else.

You mean racist people like you.

You have no idea what racism is and how it works in this society, you sound very green and inexperienced.

when people tell you the truth you cant cope with it so you dismiss the person as being
a) a racist or
b) frustrated - this is the only way you can come to terms with the harsh reality of a world in which the odds are stacked against you.

racism is more than mere dislike for another person of another race and the funny thing is that throughout my posts i have never expressed any dislike for whites, i have merely pointed out tthings that are obvious to 99.9% of black people with proper functioning brains.

If my way of thinking were detrimental to my success in life i would never have furthered by education or even attempted to go into the profession that i am in.
i would have merely remained trapped in a fog of ignorance like you, but unlike you i broadened my horizons and in doing so discovered the truth about the world we live in.

People like you are very closed minded, it is obvious that you are wearing blinkers- mainly because for the first time in your life you are able to eat three square meals a day and live in a clean and sanitary environment - these are things that you never had back home. It is for this reason that you remain eternally grateful for the crumbs that you are enjoying now.

It is therefore futile of me to carry on this conversation with you as we seem to both be going round in circles.

1 Like

Re: British Family Considering Move To Nigeria. Advice Welcomed :) by clintwine(m): 6:52pm On Mar 07, 2012
Mehn sky-walker, its funny now, but it wasn't funny then.
Even with the oyibo girls, some of the things they said to him, i had to shield him from beating up one in the club.

We just coined a name for them OGBANJE lol!!
Before the guys temper rises, he would say "Na their way OGBANJE" lol

He is back in Naija lol, it was all fun.

As per cap28, i think he is so angry about the whole situation because 95% of the time if an oyibo is smiling at you, they must be gaining something from you.
and it's no surprise that they really don't have any natural reserves or anything to give them money except taxes, yet they live a better life which is being funded by countries like nigeria.

All the money embezzled from Nigeria is in their economy and they are able to manipulate our systems for their own good (that is what i called modern day slavery)

1 Like

Re: British Family Considering Move To Nigeria. Advice Welcomed :) by Skywalker5(m): 7:27pm On Mar 07, 2012
@cap28
Explain the first post you wrote concerning this topic. You said no one should help her because she is white and also that they won't not help us if we were the one coming into their country.

Yet you try and diss me. Well,thats your problem.You are frustrated and you need help. i'm not going to go down low to diss you. You use the internet as your ultimate strength. Thats what frustrated people do.Its easy to tell from the first post you made on this topic.I am sure you thought the grass was greener on the other side and after wasting so much money to come here, its not as you planned and you cant go back so you are stuck.so you try and do whatever you can to survive and keep insulting people to make yourself feel justified.

@Clintwine. I had a friend like that too. He also use names to make himself feel better. cant say the name here though. He blames all his problems on them. If he fails a subject, he says they are racist.i know his kind so there no point in me arguing with him again.
I know he is angry but why blame other people. Nobody kept a gun to the politicians head and tell them to carry their loot and bring it to the UK.If World bank is controlling Nigeria, Is it not a Nigerian that is placed there? We are the enemy of ourselves but guys like Cap thinks otherwise.
Re: British Family Considering Move To Nigeria. Advice Welcomed :) by Skywalker5(m): 7:36pm On Mar 07, 2012
This was your first post you Racist

cap28 link=topic=885948.msg10351299#msg10351299 :

why are we so desperate to be of assistance to our enemies?

If this poster is in fact a white british woman (which i doubt)  - why should we care about her welfare?

lets put the shoe on the other foot - how many white british people would be willing to give a nigerian family advice on how to relocate and get started in britain?

how do white british people view nigerians in the work place?  how supportive are they towards nigerians who are new to their country?

if you are on the same page as me i'm sure that you would have come to the same conclusion as me that the answer is none.

if i were given a penny for the number of white british people who have asked me why i am in their country, when am i going back i woudl be a millionaire and yet, and yet we have some dumb nigerians on here giving this white british woman advice on how she can get a good job, upgrade herself and her lifestyle and have access to a standard of living that many nigerians in nigeria itself do not even have - they say charity begins at home - i noticed that some self hating nigerians even had the audacity to brag that nigerians treat foreigners better than their own people - shame on you.  How many white people do you know that treat foreigners better than their own people?  This same woman who is begging for advice on here would never put you before her own people if you came to britain looking for a better life.

If you have never worked with white british people please do not respond to my post, i have worked with them and i know how much they despise black people.  They smile in your face but will stop at nothing to make your life a living hell.

Nigerians stop feeling inferior to whites - they have no respect for you and just use you to get what they want, the whites in nigeria are only there because they are living a lifestyle they could only dream about in the UK.  I work with these people and they have nothing good to say about africa and africans.

Forget about all the bullshi.t and lies many delusional fools tell you on here.

Re: British Family Considering Move To Nigeria. Advice Welcomed :) by martinosi: 10:28am On Mar 08, 2012
amysmiley:

Thankyou for so many helpful replies.

I have lot's to ponder over.

I was asked a few things - His father runs a very good business and his family is pretty wealthy and as we have our own financial backing we should be able to afford a safe and pretty good standard of living. ikoksi you mention politics, his father is a political figure which led to his kidnapping last year however my partner is keen to assure me that its blown over in the area and all is safe. That was my main concern. However I trust that my partner would never put us in harms way so I am a little less freaked out by it that now lol. He points out thar In the UK I will have more chance of a youth in designer clothing stabbing me or battering me for the sake of filming it on his latest smartphone so as he can share it on you tube. He probably isn't far off  cheesy

Notice how the fraud has stopped posting!!!
Re: British Family Considering Move To Nigeria. Advice Welcomed :) by cap28: 11:56am On Mar 08, 2012
Sky-walker:

This was your first post you Racist

I said i wasnt going to bother with you again, but your st.upidity and ignorance is really getting on my nerves.

You did not grow up in this country therefore you are not in a position to speak about racism - you did not experience being called monkey or told to go back to the jungle as a child, you did not go through the trauma of being told that you were not intelligent enough to go to university by your own teachers simply because of the colour of your skin so learn to be quiet when people who have actually experienced racism are speaking.

You arrived in this country as a grown man with an ingrained feeling of inferiority towards the white man, in nigeria you were taught that he came to civillise you, no-one mentioned how he built churches on top of slave dungeons all along the west african coast line or how he treated your ancestors worse than animals - you claim to be educated but your utterances tell a different story.

I have so many friends who i grew up with in this country who have been scarred by racism and had their lives destroyed by a system that pretends to be fair on the surface but is institutionally racist, so its a major insult to my intelligence that people like you who know nothing about racism can turn around and label me a racist.

you need an education - try and get one before its too late.
Re: British Family Considering Move To Nigeria. Advice Welcomed :) by Skywalker5(m): 12:20pm On Mar 08, 2012
cap28:

I said i wasnt going to bother with you again, but your st.upidity and ignorance is really getting on my nerves.

You did not grow up in this country therefore you are not in a position to speak about racism - you did not experience being called monkey or told to go back to the jungle as a child, you did not go through the trauma of being told that you were not intelligent enough to go to university by your own teachers simply because of the colour of your skin so learn to be quiet when people who have actually experienced racism are speaking.

You arrived in this country as a grown man with an ingrained feeling of inferiority towards the white man, in nigeria you were taught that he came to civillise you, no-one mentioned how he built churches on top of slave dungeons all along the west african coast line or how he treated your ancestors worse than animals - you claim to be educated but your utterances tell a different story.

I have so many friends who i grew up with in this country who have been scarred by racism and had their lives destroyed by a system that pretends to be fair on the surface but is institutionally racist, so its a major insult to my intelligence that people like you who know nothing about racism can turn around and label me a racist.

you need an education - try and get one before its too late.

eeya. Sorry. i feel your pain. I now understand why you are angry with the poster. By the way when did you come to the UK that you were attacked this way?i though you migrated from Nigeria, when did you get abused as a child?
Another question is this. How do you survive at work and get on with life here if you think every white person around you hates you?

Some of the poo your wrote like saying you not intelligent enough to go to university is just a made up point. too much Red tails movies

But even though its true. then you need help. its all physiological. it has been obvious in your first post. I heard there is a new drug out now that makes people less racist. read it here. should help i think.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2111600/Heart-disease-drug-combats-racism.html

You dont need to hate an entire race just because they have some low life scum who hate for no reason

1 Like

Re: British Family Considering Move To Nigeria. Advice Welcomed :) by svintage(f): 3:59pm On Mar 08, 2012
@cap28  Just because you think you were treated poorly by white British people that is jst a small majority of people! you on the other hand are saying that all British white people are racist when in fact they are not. I myself am a white British woman and i have never been racist my boyfriend is Nigerian,  you shouldnt judge the whole race just by your bad experience therefore you shouldn't have even wrote on this ladies post she is asking for advice if your not going to help her then you shouldn't even come here with your sarcastic comments,  You need to let go of your grudges and live life and dont pay no mind to people that dont respect you,  just dont judge the whole race!!

1 Like

Re: British Family Considering Move To Nigeria. Advice Welcomed :) by ada24: 11:55pm On Mar 08, 2012
cap28 - i agree with the points you are trying to make and as someone that grew up in the UK as well, I experienced exactly what you experienced and will always remember being called a black monkey on my first day of primary school crying home asking my dad why, however, not ALL white British people are like the way you have pointed out, yes its difficult to come across a non- racist or prejudice person but its not right to paint a whole race of people.

Cap28 - when it comes to the workplace I agree with you as well, man the number of times I have been experienced things that I wouldn't have to experience if I was a white women is unbelievable. I will never forget the day my manager was confused as to why some racist project manager refused to give me the documents I asked for and then stupidly sent them to my manager after he forwarded the e-mail I sent her - he didn't get it but I did.

I just think ur a bit militant in ur approach - lol

1 Like

Re: British Family Considering Move To Nigeria. Advice Welcomed :) by cap28: 1:36am On Mar 09, 2012
ada24:

cap28 - i agree with the points you are trying to make and as someone that grew up in the UK as well, I experienced exactly what you experienced and will always remember being called a black monkey on my first day of primary school crying home asking my dad why, however, not ALL white British people are like the way you have pointed out, yes its difficult to come across a non- racist or prejudice person but its not right to paint a whole race of people.

Cap28 - when it comes to the workplace I agree with you as well, man the number of times I have been experienced things that I wouldn't have to experience if I was a white women is unbelievable. I will never forget the day my manager was confused as to why some racist project manager refused to give me the documents I asked for and then stupidly sent them to my manager after he forwarded the e-mail I sent her - he didn't get it but I did.

I just think ur a bit militant in ur approach - lol

Ada im glad you can see where i am coming from.

The majority of white english people are racist - its just that many of them are very good at hiding it.  Now that we are in an economic recession many of them are now more open about how they feel about black people because they are now having to compete with blacks for jobs which are in short supply, they  will not tolerate seeing blacks with jobs when they are losing their own jobs, your experiences in the office are commonplace, there is a hierarchy of power in this country based on skin colour, whites are at the top and asians are in the middle - blacks are kept at the bottom - there is a conspiracy on the part of the govt of this country to exclude and marginalise blacks - this is why the unemployment rate amongst young black people in this country is now a staggering 44% , despite the fact that black people make up less than 3% of the population of this country.

They aim is to cripple the next generation of young black people by deliberately keeping many of them out of the work place despite their abilities and qualifications.

read this article written by Diane Abbott MP for Hackney:

Young, black and unemployed: the tragedy of the 44%
Nearly half Britain's young black people are jobless. We've created an inequality timebomb

by Dianne Abbott MP

It is a paradox of the history of British migration that, while the first generation of postwar black immigrants came to this country to work, unemployment among their children and grandchildren is stubbornly high. Figures I've just received from the Labour Force Survey reveal that unemployment among young black people (aged 16-24) is a shocking 44% – over twice the rate of their white counterparts, of whom 20% are jobless.

Black and Asian migrants after the war helped rebuild the economy: working in factories; doing the night shifts; working on the railways and driving the buses. And a generation of West Indian women made a contribution to the health service that has never been properly celebrated. So whatever else the problem is, black Britons don't come from households that didn't value work.

One of the causes of high black unemployment is shared by working class males whatever their colour. Structural changes in the economy mean that the type of blue-collar jobs that the first generation of migrants did no longer exists. When I was a child, areas like Willesden and Park Royal in north-west London were full of manufacturing and light-engineering factories. The large black community there owes its existence partly to just those employment opportunities. But these jobs have largely vanished from London.

My father came to this country in the 1950s having left school in Jamaica at 14. But he was able to find factory work and rise to become a sheet metal worker with his own apprentices. Now there are no job opportunities for young people without formal qualifications. A generation ago it was still possible to leave school at 16 and become a bank clerk, a nurse, a local government officer. Now many employers recruiting for similar roles demand a degree. There is no question that a lack of qualifications holds some young black people back. But there is anecdotal evidence that black people emerging from university with the same qualifications as their white peers find it much more difficult to get employment. Lack of qualifications alone does not account for this level of unemployment.

What is clear is that this recession is hitting ethnic minorities disproportionately hard. And the figures can only get worse. Black people, particularly women, are more likely to work in the public sector. This is partly because in diverse inner-city areas the public sector is the biggest employer. But it is also because large public-sector organisations tend to have better, more transparent policies around equal opportunity. Yet the public sector is bearing the brunt of George Osborne's cuts.

In recent decades black people have made advances in all kinds of employment. But the Americans have a saying: "Last to be hired, first to be fired". This may be reflected in some of the racial disparities that are emerging.

Some people will be antagonised by any discussion of the fact that spiralling unemployment is hitting black people hardest. They may think it a price worth paying for cutting back on public spending. Or they may argue that it doesn't matter what colour you are. But the more unequal a society, the more unstable it is. And inequality with a racial dimension risks creating a time bomb. The immediate response to last summer's riots was (quite correctly) a call to restore order. But these figures are not irrelevant. Policymakers cannot afford to ignore black unemployment.

Hardworking immigrant grandparents would not want special treatment for this generation: after all, they themselves did not have any. But they would expect this society to care, and be prepared to examine carefully what the underlying reasons might be. That generation of migrants were God-fearing monarchists. So they would expect fairness and justice. And as their grandchildren might put it: "No Justice, No Peace".

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/mar/05/young-black-unemployed-tragedy
Re: British Family Considering Move To Nigeria. Advice Welcomed :) by PeterPrince: 11:05am On Mar 09, 2012
Cap28,

I understand your post and the emotionality involved! Racism is rife and 'some' white people are very good in concealing them. However, please refrain from overt generalization and contempt for the race. Fact is, you are on the borders of sounding racist yourself. There is a philosophical concept (can't remember the name) that insinuates that an individual might dis-like something so greatly that he/she transforms into that which he hates so much.

Please read the statement you wrote in your post;

'If this poster is in fact a white british woman (which i doubt)  - why should we care about her welfare?'

Please permit me to edit it, so as to envision if it was the other way around and a black person posted on a white majority site and got your response;

If this poster is in fact a white british woman black african woman (which i doubt)  - why should we care about her welfare?

Am sure the black minority would label the poster racist!

Cap28. Please do remember that in the fight for freedom from slavery, a minority of white sympathizers were killed and rejected for their support. Their sacrifices and that of fellow black freedom fighters such as mandela would be in vain if we turn racist ourselves and throw tolerance in the wind.

Racism must be discussed and talked about. But C'mon an innocent woman (who has not been racist to anyone on here) is just here to ask for advise and was very polite about her approach, how the race element got thrown in is really disheartening and only shows that Racism goes both ways too!
Re: British Family Considering Move To Nigeria. Advice Welcomed :) by cap28: 1:22pm On Mar 09, 2012
Peter Prince:

Cap28,

I understand your post and the emotionality involved! Racism is rife and 'some' white people are very good in concealing them. However, please refrain from overt generalization and contempt for the race. Fact is, you are on the borders of sounding racist yourself. There is a philosophical concept (can't remember the name) that insinuates that an individual might dis-like something so greatly that he/she transforms into that which he hates so much.

Please read the statement you wrote in your post;

'If this poster is in fact a white british woman (which i doubt) - why should we care about her welfare?'

Please permit me to edit it, so as to envision if it was the other way around and a black person posted on a white majority site and got your response;

If this poster is in fact a white british woman black african woman (which i doubt) - why should we care about her welfare?

Am sure the black minority would label the poster racist!

Cap28. Please do remember that in the fight for freedom from slavery, a minority of white sympathizers were killed and rejected for their support. Their sacrifices and that of fellow black freedom fighters such as mandela would be in vain if we turn racist ourselves and throw tolerance in the wind.

Racism must be discussed and talked about. But C'mon an innocent woman (who has not been racist to anyone on here) is just here to ask for advise and was very polite about her approach, how the race element got thrown in is really disheartening and only shows that Racism goes both ways too!

first of all lets be clear on one thing, racism is about power not about personal dislike or prejudice towards someone of a different race.

when i hear black people referring to fellow blacks as racist i just cringe in embarrassment - we cant be racist even if we tried because the way we feel about white people doees not affect their ability to get a job, earn money or gain access to education - in other words THEY have full control over our means of livelihood and they manipulate access to those things in order to ensure that we remain powerless and under their control. This power that they have over us is what racism is all about because it is about a dislike for a people backed by the power to do something about it, so please can you stop getting it twisted with this whole fake notion that black people are on an equal footing with whites and are therefore capable of being just as racist as whites.

Even on our own continent they still exert control and power over us - our economic policies are all drawn up and dictated to us by washington and london - failure to go along with any of them normally results in economic sanctions or military attack as was the case with libya, iraq and ivory coast.

Goinng back to my quote - why should we be bothered about this woman

british people do not give two hoots about anyone in africa - therefore why should we care about them, especially when you bear in mind that the british govt in collaboration with powerful multinationals like shell are singularly responsible for the economic and political chaos that we are currently experiencing in nigeria.

we are very good at beign kind and charitable to foreigners but treat our own people like crap - does that make sense to you?

no british person would ever put a nigrerian before his own people - especially where it concerns job prospects.

if you ended up working in an office with this woman (who i still believe is a figment of the poster's imagination) she would never be forthcoming with positive advice that would benefit you.
Re: British Family Considering Move To Nigeria. Advice Welcomed :) by dare2think: 1:56pm On Mar 09, 2012
That was my post above, I posted using a colleagues ID by mistake.

cap28:

first of all lets be clear on one thing, racism is about power not about personal dislike or prejudice towards someone of a different race.

I dis-agree with your definition of racism .

The dictionary's version is much more accurate and incisive about the meaning of racism.

According to the dictionary, racism is a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.

Racism is about discrimination towards another another race different from your own.

cap28:

when i hear black people referring to fellow blacks as racist i just cringe in embarrassment - we cant be racist even if we tried because the way we feel about white people doees not affect their ability to get a job, earn money or gain access to education - in other words THEY have full control over our means of livelihood and they manipulate access to those things in order to ensure that we remain powerless and under their control. This power that they have over us is what racism is all about because it is about a dislike for a people backed by the power to do something about it, so please can you stop getting it twisted with this whole fake notion that black people are on an equal footing with whites and are therefore capable of being just as racist as whites.

Dear Cap28, are you saying that black people are incapable of being racist? So is racism on related to black/white?

What about the hispanic/black racism? or chinese/arab racism?
A black man can be as ignorant as a white racist. Racism is not only applicable to a specific race, it happen accross the spectrum of humanity at varied degrees.

To note otherwise and judge a whole race by the actions of 'some' of them is unfair to the rest who possesses no such feeling or animousity.
Re: British Family Considering Move To Nigeria. Advice Welcomed :) by dare2think: 2:02pm On Mar 09, 2012
cap28:

Even on our own continent they still exert control and power over us - our economic policies are all drawn up and dictated to us by washington and london - failure to go along with any of them normally results in economic sanctions or military attack as was the case with libya, iraq and  ivory coast. 

british people do not give two hoots about anyone in africa - therefore why should we care about them, especially when you bear in mind that the british govt in collaboration with powerful multinationals like shell are singularly responsible for the economic and political chaos that we are currently experiencing in nigeria.

It is true, the western hypocrisy knows no bounds and there are still certain elements that still holds a condescending attitude towards the third world countries. However, there various other organisations and entities that continue with various relief programs and charities that endeavours to try and alleviate the problems of Africa, some problems which the former colonial masters contributed to.

My point is, yes racism is very prevalent, but it is wrong to sum  the white race together and label them as racist.
Re: British Family Considering Move To Nigeria. Advice Welcomed :) by dare2think: 2:17pm On Mar 09, 2012
cap28:

we are very good at beign kind and charitable to foreigners but treat our own people like crap - does that make sense to you?

no british person would ever put a nigrerian before his own people - especially where it concerns job prospects.

if you ended up working in an office with this woman (who i still believe is a figment of the poster's imagination) she would never be forthcoming with positive advice that would benefit you.

1. Goinng back to my quote - why should we be bothered about this woman

Because she is human, just like you and I. And have come on a Nigerian website to ask about Nigeria. And we both have no proof that she is racist, If at all the little we know about her suggest otherwise. Racist never marry outside their race.

2. british people do not give two hoots about anyone in africa - therefore why should we care about them, especially when you bear in mind that the british govt in collaboration with powerful multinationals like shell are singularly responsible for the economic and political chaos that we are currently experiencing in nigeria.

Again, you are generalising and grouping a variety of people from different background as one. 'Racist' British people do not give two hoots about anyone in Africa. And yes we should not care about British people that are Racist. And also, several factors including the one you listed contributed to 'the economic and political chaos that we are currently experiencing in nigeria.' Factors such as, tribalism, greed, corruption, lack of empathy, ignorance and a lot more.

3. if you ended up working in an office with this woman (who i still believe is a figment of the poster's imagination) she would never be forthcoming with positive advice that would benefit you.

Another negative generalisation. How do you know this?. Are you telling me all 'White British People' are racist? Are all White British people incapable of giving positive advice to benefit other races including black. Haba!

Dear Cap28, you and I hardly know the lady, yet you have already judged her based on assumptions! That is not fair on her part! and on the part of humanity!

C'mon, why don't we give Love and Tolerance a chance! Yes there are still some bad apples in the mix, that dont mean we should discard the whole basket!
Re: British Family Considering Move To Nigeria. Advice Welcomed :) by cap28: 3:13pm On Mar 09, 2012
dare2think:

It is true, the western hypocrisy knows no bounds and there are still certain elements that still holds a condescending attitude towards the third world countries. However, there various other organisations and entities that continue with various relief programs and charities that endeavours to try and alleviate the problems of Africa, some problems which the former colonial masters contributed to.

My point is, yes racism is very prevalent, but it is wrong to sum  the white race together and label them as racist.

Dont be fooled by those NGOs and other so called charitable organisations - many of them are funded by big corporations and therefore can not bite the fingers that are feeding them -it is in their own interests to remain silent about the atrocities being comitted by their financiers.

Amnesty International is a good example - when black africans were being slaughtered like animals by the NATO backed rebels in libya they remained silent about these atrocities  - infact rather than report on these terrible crimes they continued peddling lies that the black africans in libya were mercenaries knowing fully well that one third of libya's population is actually black - an entire town known as Tawerga which used to be  inhabited by black libyan people was wiped off the face of the earth as a result of ethnic cleansing carried out by the racist arab NTC and their NATO allies.

The NTC rebels slaughtered black africans on the ground while NATO dropped bombs on them from the air - but Amnesty international remained silent  throughout - are these the kind of charities that you are referring to?

These international charites are really big businesses masquerading as charities .

Every single problem we have in africa today was created by europe and america and they are still creating more - they are behind all the civil wars currently taking place all over africa - they sell africans the guns, bombs and other sophisticated weaponry in order to keep africa in a permanent state of anarchy.

Charles Taylor of Liberia was trained, armed and funded by the CIA.
Blaise Campaore of Burkina FAso was funded by the french and the americans and the french helped him to assassinate Thomas Sankara.
Museveni of Uganda was armed and is still being funded by America.

Paul Kagame of Rwanda is armed and funded by America - the americans were responsible for triggering the genocide that resulted in the death of over 1 million Rwandans within 3 months.

Joseph Kabila is controlled and armed by France and America.

Ouattara of Ivory Coast a former IMF executive is armed and  backed by france - he is now currently the chairman of ECOWAS.
Re: British Family Considering Move To Nigeria. Advice Welcomed :) by martinosi: 3:15pm On Mar 09, 2012
dare2think:

That was my post above, I posted using a colleagues ID by mistake.

I dis-agree with your definition of racism . 

The dictionary's version is much more accurate and incisive about the meaning of racism.

According to the dictionary, racism is a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races  determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race  is superior and has the right to rule others.

Racism is about discrimination towards another another race different from your own.

Racism is Social & Economic & Political

Watch this in your spare time,

Race Religion & Racism - Dr Fred Price

[flash=200,200]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzCqk76qtxE[/flash]
Re: British Family Considering Move To Nigeria. Advice Welcomed :) by martinosi: 3:24pm On Mar 09, 2012
cap28:

You have no idea what racism is and how it works in this society, you sound very green and inexperienced.

when people tell you the truth you cant cope with it so you dismiss the person as being
a) a racist or
b) frustrated - this is the only way you can come to terms with the harsh reality of a world in which the odds are stacked against you.

racism is more than mere dislike for another person of another race and the funny thing is that throughout my posts i have never expressed any dislike for whites, i have merely pointed out tthings that are obvious to 99.9% of black people with proper functioning brains. 

If my way of thinking were detrimental to my success in life i would never have furthered by education or even attempted to go into the profession that i am in.
i would have merely remained trapped in a fog of ignorance like you, but unlike you i broadened my horizons and in doing so discovered the truth about the world we live in.

People like you are very closed minded, it is obvious that you are wearing blinkers- mainly because for the first time in your life you are able to eat three square meals a day and live in a clean and sanitary environment - these are things that you never had back home.  It is for this reason that you remain eternally grateful for the crumbs that you are enjoying now.

It is therefore futile of me to carry on this conversation with you as we seem to both be going round in circles.

CAP28 direct all the Black self-hating/Non nigerian pleasing folks to Oyibosonline for them to
see how they are viewed by so called Nigerian loving white people living in nigeria,

Here's a link to the thread enjoy,

http://www.oyibosonline.com/sm2/index.php?topic=11640.0

and for some funny reason which i ahve to research the White People loved it when Abacha
was in power see post here below

http://www.oyibosonline.com/sm2/index.php?topic=9866.0
Re: British Family Considering Move To Nigeria. Advice Welcomed :) by ada24: 3:29pm On Mar 09, 2012
cap28:

Dont be fooled by those NGOs and other so called charitable organisations - many of them are funded by big corporations and therefore can not bite the fingers that are feeding them -it is in their own interests to remain silent about the atrocities being comitted by their financiers.

Amnesty International is a good example - when black africans were being slaughtered like animals by the NATO backed rebels in libya they remained silent about these atrocities  - infact rather than report on these terrible crimes they continued peddling lies that the black africans in libya were mercenaries knowing fully well that one third of libya's population is actually black - an entire town known as Tawerga which used to be  inhabited by black libyan people was wiped off the face of the earth as a result of ethnic cleansing carried out by the racist arab NTC and their NATO allies.

The NTC rebels slaughtered black africans on the ground while NATO dropped bombs on them from the air - but Amnesty international remained silent  throughout - are these the kind of charities that you are referring to?

These international charites are really big businesses masquerading as charities .

Every single problem we have in africa today was created by europe and america and they are still creating more - they are behind all the civil wars currently taking place all over africa - they sell africans the guns, bombs and other sophisticated weaponry in order to keep africa in a permanent state of anarchy.

Blaise Campaore of Burkina FAso was funded by the french and the americans and the french helped him to assassinate Thomas Sankara.

Paul Kagame of Rwanda is armed and funded by America - the americans were responsible for triggering the genocide that resulted in the death of over 1 million Rwandans within 3 months.

Ouattara of Ivory Coast a former IMF executive is armed and  backed by france - he is now currently the chairman of ECOWAS.

about to cook a big pot of stew so can't type much(and no i'm not sharing - lol)

anyway back to ur quote i 101% AGREE with what u say about charities - how can billions be given in "aid" but we are bombarded with adverts of poor  and starving children in africa on TV - don't these NGO's have auditors.

Cap28 - I have read some of ur posts on other topics and u make A LOT of sense, i'm not as militant in my thinking as I don't believe all white people are racist but man this recession has really shown how bad people can be.
Re: British Family Considering Move To Nigeria. Advice Welcomed :) by cap28: 3:36pm On Mar 09, 2012
dare2think:

1. Goinng back to my quote - why should we be bothered about this woman

Because she is human, just like you and I. And have come on a Nigerian website to ask about Nigeria. And we both have no proof that she is racist, If at all the little we know about her suggest otherwise. Racist never marry outside their race.

as i have said before racism goes way beyond a personal dislike for someone - its about a system which is set up to ensure that people of a certain race remain powerless, divided and broken -this is why africa is in the state that its in - its under attack from a system designed to keep it in a state of permanent chaos and anarchy. And racists DO marry outside their race - all those middle aged white guys in port harcourt, warri and lagos are raging racists who just happen to have a taste for brown skin - who you sleep with has nothing to do with what you think of other races.

2. british people do not give two hoots about anyone in africa - therefore why should we care about them, especially when you bear in mind that the british govt in collaboration with powerful multinationals like shell are singularly responsible for the economic and political chaos that we are currently experiencing in nigeria.

Again, you are generalising and grouping a variety of people from different background as one. 'Racist' British people do not give two hoots about anyone in Africa. And yes we should not care about British people that are Racist. And also, several factors including the one you listed contributed to 'the economic and political chaos that we are currently experiencing in nigeria.' Factors such as, tribalism, greed, corruption, lack of empathy, ignorance and a lot more.

the points you mention that contribute to nigeria's economic and political chaos are symptoms of nigeria's problem not the root causes.

3. if you ended up working in an office with this woman (who i still believe is a figment of the poster's imagination) she would never be forthcoming with positive advice that would benefit you.

Another negative generalisation. How do you know this?. Are you telling me all 'White British People' are racist? Are all White British people incapable of giving positive advice to benefit other races including black. Haba!

99% of white british people do not want a black person earning more than them, living in a better neighbourhood than them or being better educated than them.

Dear Cap28, you and I hardly know the lady, yet you have already judged her based on assumptions! That is not fair on her part! and on the part of humanity!

C'mon, why don't we give Love and Tolerance a chance! Yes there are still some bad apples in the mix, that dont mean we should discard the whole basket!

we've been giving love and tolerance a chance for over 5 centuries and look at the result - the transatlantic slave trade, colonialism and neo colonialism - other races dont give love and tolerance a chance they just concentrate on developing themselves and their own people and they dont care who they have to hurt to get what they want - look at the japanese who actually went to war with britain and america - did you know that during the second world war all japanese immigrants resident in america were arrested and held in detention camps by the US govt ?  but today in america a japanese american can get a good job and have access to better opportunties in life than a black american?  The irony is that black americans actually fought in this same war on the side of their former slave masters?   what does that tell you?
Re: British Family Considering Move To Nigeria. Advice Welcomed :) by dare2think: 3:43pm On Mar 09, 2012
cap28:

I agree with you, hence the reason I mentioned in my earlier post about the western hypocrisy.

But do agree as well, you cant just go around and keep frowning at the next 'white Man' as though he , personally, is responsible for the atrocities some people that he happened to share the same skin colour with has committed.  That is grossly unfair.

And such is the case with this innocent lady, who came on this forum, without insulting anybody, just to ask for advise, seem to be dealt with.
Re: British Family Considering Move To Nigeria. Advice Welcomed :) by Nobody: 1:20pm On Mar 29, 2012
@agiboma
Oyibo means a foreigner from Europe /America/white people countries, although it can refer sometimes to any foreigner from any country - even neighbouring African countries.

It is not a derogatory term as there are no alternative words for "foreigner" in Nigeria.

Even Nigerians returning from long stay abroad would be called "oyibo" as a term of endearment or playful teasing/banter.

Truth be told, Nigerians admire anybody that has lived in a Western country, so do not necessary take it as negative that you are being called "oyibo".

I suggest you stop getting stressed unnecessarily about that word, and tell the same to your children. because it would continue for as long as people could recognise that you are from a western country.

I am surprised that your husband hadn't explained this to you undecided

agiboma: Hi Amy,

2.) Also as a white woman your always gonna be hearing them talk about "oyibo" (it means white person) i hate that word they call me it every time and im not even white,I'm black go figure smh. Their also gonna refer to your kids with that term. My hubby's biracial friends kids and his white wife, did not last long here and they hated it for all the reason's i stated previously but most of all the kids felt discriminated because of that word and the attention they got as being biracial.

2 Likes

Re: British Family Considering Move To Nigeria. Advice Welcomed :) by bamshy: 5:36pm On Mar 29, 2012
agiboma: Hi Amy,

I'm a Canadian living in Nigeria now with my Canadian son he's 19 months and his father who is Nigerian. I got a question for you, have you ever visited this country. You need to see it befor you make such a BIG move.
1.) The places you mentioned i can only voice my opinion for 2 places Aba, DEFINETLY NOOOOOO, locals have labelled it the dirtiest city in Nigeria. Abuja is simply beautiful, but expensive, you would be best their imo. I never been to ebonyi so i cant comment. All the things you mentioned about the UK they understandable, but I dont think Nigeria is the answer. All the families i know both parents are Nigerian that moved back from Canada to Nigeria, their move did not last long and they had kids your age, the children hated it, no light so they cant watch t.v, the roads are bad, they missed their friends. If you think its the lesser of two evils please think again.
2.) Also as a white woman your always gonna be hearing them talk about "oyibo" (it means white person) i hate that word they call me it every time and im not even white,I'm black go figure smh. Their also gonna refer to your kids with that term. My hubby's biracial friends kids and his white wife, did not last long here and they hated it for all the reason's i stated previously but most of all the kids felt discriminated because of that word and the attention they got as being biracial.

I know you are afraid to raise black teenage boys in the UK, but honestly their life won't be much easier over here either. To an extent because of my accent I fell discriminated against at times. Talking to locals and they dont understand my English because of my heaven Canadian accent omg. These are hurdles that you are definetly gonna face. teach your kids the right things such as avoiding, drugs, gangs etc. Dont disrupt your lives and come to this messed up society.

3.) The school system is crap unless you got some serious cheddar, you can enrol your kid in a very nice school. The best school in my area the yearly tuition is like 50k USD a year.
4.) About your business you can defiently start your own business and make money in time

Please think really hard about this move, wishing you all the best

As much as I agree with almost all that has been said, the ones in bold should be clarified. Truthfully, i believe a good number of Nigerians, especially those who are not enlightened/educated admire and look up to the whites and those who have the accent. The "oyibo" word is mostly never meant to portray racism or sound derogatory. MOSTLY, IT'S SAID OUT OF ADMIRATION! I'm quite sure most learned citizens of this country wouldn't say that often except in different contexts which i still maintain has nothing to do with racism. Regards
Re: British Family Considering Move To Nigeria. Advice Welcomed :) by bamshy: 5:49pm On Mar 29, 2012
GenBuhari: @agiboma
Oyibo means a foreigner from Europe /America/white people countries, although it can refer sometimes to any foreigner from any country - even neighbouring African countries.

It is not a derogatory term as there are no alternative words for "foreigner" in Nigeria.

Even Nigerians returning from long stay abroad would be called "oyibo" as a term of endearment or playful teasing/banter.

Truth be told, Nigerians admire anybody that has lived in a Western country, so do not necessary take it as negative that you are being called "oyibo".

I suggest you stop getting stressed unnecessarily about that word, and tell the same to your children. because it would continue for as long as people could recognise that you are from a western country.

I am surprised that your husband hadn't explained this to you undecided

Thank you GenBuhari. You said it rightly. We all love Oyibos. Even the learned secretly admire them
Re: British Family Considering Move To Nigeria. Advice Welcomed :) by bamshy: 5:52pm On Mar 29, 2012
violent:

Of the three places you mentioned, Abuja is likely to be your best bet if availability of infrastructures and good social services rank tops on your priorities. By social services, this excludes 999 calls, fire service and regular power supply.

Kidnapping is no longer very prevalent in many areas of Abuja.  As a matter of fact, i once argued with someone that there are higher chances of getting shot, stabbed or beaten by a random sad fellow in London than in Abuja.  The safety rules in naija are simple; stay away from the core north, never argue with the Police even if you are right and don't talk to people about your business.

Social life is a very subjective term and could be defined to mean anything.  You kids may likely find it very hard adapting to new location and making friends with people who were brought up under completely different conditions.  They won't be able to ride their bikes freely around the streets, and there aren't many parks to sit in and play with the dogs all day.  You must understand that the idea of having a good time in Nigeria for most people means going to the cinema, restaurants, owambes and clubs.

Children of mixed races are well accepted and i can guarantee that there are very slim chances of racial abuse.  Nigerians are known to only discriminate among themselves, never against foreigners, much less ones with good accents.

IMF or the WHO may very well have positions that may fit into what you are looking for.  I would also consider banks like RenCap or Standard Chartered or companies like Shell, Chevron, British American Tobacco, Schlumberger, or Oando.  If you are also flexible, you may consider lecturing with some well paying Universities like the American University of Nigeria.

There are good schools, although very expensive ones, in Nigeria.  Most expatriates have their kids attending these schools and could very well boast of a similar level of education that may be obtained in Britain.

Overall, I would suggest that you spend some time in Nigeria as suggested by many other posters.  This help you to form a better opinion of the place.

I vote for this post. It's a mix of comedy and truth.
Re: British Family Considering Move To Nigeria. Advice Welcomed :) by bamshy: 6:01pm On Mar 29, 2012
agiboma:

lol ohh yes ooo and prepare for hubby reNATIONALIZING himself and becoming a Nigerian again

lol...sorry to say, this thread is a comedy but one with true points
Re: British Family Considering Move To Nigeria. Advice Welcomed :) by agiboma(f): 10:26pm On Mar 29, 2012
ty gb

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

I See No Good Reason To Marry / 15 And Pregnant / List Of Banned Baby Names Around The World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 222
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.