Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,319 members, 7,808,072 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:42 AM

Court Awards N11m To Arrested Acn Members - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Court Awards N11m To Arrested Acn Members (2824 Views)

Navy Handover Vessel, Boat With N11m Stolen Diesel To EFCC / Houseboy ‘Steals’ Ex- Minister Akinyemi’s N11m Watch / Jonathan Is A Trainee President - ACN (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Court Awards N11m To Arrested Acn Members by Nobody: 4:51am On Mar 06, 2012
TWENTY THREE leaders and members of the Action Congress of Nigeria (AC N) who were detained in Kogi State in September and October last year were N11million richer at the weekend.

The Federal High Court, Lokoja, Kogi State ordered the police to pay them the amount over their detention.
They had sued the Inspector-General of Police (IGP) for N15 billion for allegedly preventing them from entering the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) on September 21 and on October 25 and 26 last year.
Kogi State Police commissioner Amana Abasakanga was later joined as a party in the suits.
The first group, from Lagos, was turned back on their way to Abuja to witness the Code of Conduct Bureau arraignment proceedings of their leader Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu. They were awarded N6million.
The second group, from Osun State, was going for a meeting at the party’s national secretariat, Abuja. The court awarded them N5million.
In the two separate matters filed by their counsel, Kunle Adegoke, the applicants challenged the powers of the IGP to infringe on their fundamental rights to personal liberty, freedom of movement, freedom from discrimination and the right not to be subjected to inhuman and degrading treatment.
He said his clients were brutalised on the separate occasions by men of the Police Force who insisted that the applicants could not be allowed into the FCT.
In a judgment at the weekend, which took about an hour each, Justice Inyang Edem Ekwo condemned the acts of the police in detaining the applicants without justification.
The court berated the force for discriminating against the applicants on the basis of their political affiliation.
According to the judge, they were denied entry into Abuja due to their being ACN members, which violated their fundamental rights.
Justice Ekwo rebuked the police for what he called executive lawlessness, reckless show of power and lack of respect for the Constitution.
Adegoke described the judgment as the triumph of constitutionalism over "poetic exertion of power."
He hailed the court for dispensing justice courageously and without bias or favour.
The first suit, has the following applicants: Rasaq Oyesegun Folami, Omotosho Oluwaseyi, Olanrewaju Savage, Kolapo Olatunji, Theophilus Femi Kolawole, Olawale Aina and Hakeem Subair.
Others are Babajide Alli-Balogun, Yakub Akilagun and Lukman Subair, Omoniyi Olayemi, Babatunde Abodunrin, Ayo Adesanya, Segun Desalu, Babatunde Lawson, Azuka Igbue and Lawal Yusuf. They had are asked for a compensation of N10 billion from the IGP.
The second suit, has Prince Benson Adekunle, Jimoh Olatunde Olayemi, Prince Akin Omolaoye, Ayo Laloye, Oyedeji Abayomi and Rabiu Yekeen as applicants. They prayed for N5billion compensation.
The applicants sought a declaration that the act of police led by the IGPin holding them hostage for hours under harsh weather conditions without any lawful or justified basis is unconstitutional, and, therefore, illegal.
They asked the court to hold that police officers restricting their freedom of movement and preventing them from entering the FCT on account of their membership of the ACN is in gross violation of their right to freedom from discrimination.
The applicants prayed the court for an order restraining the IGP, whether by himself, servants, agents and/or persons acting for or on his behalf from further tampering with, violating or otherwise infringing on their rights.
The N10 billion compensation, they said, was for the alleged gross violation of their rights to freedom of movement, right to dignity of human persons and right to freedom from discrimination.
Besides, they argued that there is no provision in the Constitution or any law enacted by the National Assembly restricting their rights to enter or exit the FCT, Abuja or any other part of the federation.

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news/38875-court-awards-n11m-to-arrested-acn-members.html
Re: Court Awards N11m To Arrested Acn Members by Pukkah: 11:31am On Mar 06, 2012
Where are the people singing then that the arrest was justified?

The following are actually words on marble:

mcgman025:

The court berated the force for discriminating against the applicants on the basis of their political affiliation.
According to the judge, they were denied entry into Abuja due to their being ACN members, which violated their fundamental rights.
Justice Ekwo rebuked the police for what he called executive lawlessness, reckless show of power and lack of respect for the Constitution.
Adegoke described the judgment as the triumph of constitutionalism over "poetic exertion of power."
Re: Court Awards N11m To Arrested Acn Members by GWslim(f): 12:13pm On Mar 06, 2012
More trouble for police for right infringement.
Re: Court Awards N11m To Arrested Acn Members by LEXYLOV: 12:31pm On Mar 06, 2012
2012 teaching police human right undecided
Re: Court Awards N11m To Arrested Acn Members by Sagamite(m): 1:31pm On Mar 06, 2012
For all these moronic and outrageous demands for money I think courts should start reducing compensation award rulings by N10K for every million naira of the lawsuit demand over the final court award.

So if you go to court and sue someone for N103m for slapping you and you are awarded only N3m, then you automatically are fined 100 X N10K = N1m. So you only get N2m to go home with for your mockery of the justice system.

N15bn for what? For stopping you entering a city? How did they do that calculation. They should be punished for moronic demands.
Re: Court Awards N11m To Arrested Acn Members by Nigerd(m): 1:48pm On Mar 06, 2012
Sagamite:

For all these moronic and outrageous demands for money I think courts should start reducing compensation award rulings by N10K for every million naira of the lawsuit demand over the final court award.

So if you go to court and sue someone for N103m for slapping you and you are awarded only N3m, then you automatically are fined 100 X N10K = N1m. So you only get N2m to go home with for your mockery of the justice system.

N15bn for what? For stopping you entering a city? How did they do that calculation. They should be punished for moronic demands.

wHO IS THE slowpoke ?

YOU OR THE NIGERIAN POLICE?
Re: Court Awards N11m To Arrested Acn Members by Nobody: 1:57pm On Mar 06, 2012
Re: Court Awards N11m To Arrested Acn Members by Baawaa(m): 3:35pm On Mar 06, 2012
Court knows that someone pay them to arrest those people,and they have to pay back
Re: Court Awards N11m To Arrested Acn Members by Sagamite(m): 4:23pm On Mar 06, 2012
Niger_d:

wHO IS THE slowpoke ?

YOU OR THE NIGERIAN POLICE?

No. It is you.
Re: Court Awards N11m To Arrested Acn Members by Demdem(m): 4:27pm On Mar 06, 2012
Egbon Razist needs to see this. AregbeRascal peeps has won the first round.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/180447_ROTFLMAO_gif3d0c775232c7f27cf80592785b9635b6
Re: Court Awards N11m To Arrested Acn Members by dayokanu(m): 5:20pm On Mar 06, 2012
Aregbesola wins another one over PDP
Re: Court Awards N11m To Arrested Acn Members by Sagamite(m): 5:50pm On Mar 06, 2012
dayokanu:

Aregbesola wins another one over PDP

Anuofia, how can you talk crassly about such a nice girl?

I am going to put ebo with your name in the calabash in the River Thames at 3.33am tonight.  angry
Re: Court Awards N11m To Arrested Acn Members by lateef4me(m): 10:52pm On Mar 06, 2012
See how Naijasexy don spoil market for Sagamite,
How do you want his other bedmates on NL feel nowwww
Re: Court Awards N11m To Arrested Acn Members by dayokanu(m): 11:56pm On Mar 06, 2012
Sagamite:

I am going to put ebo with your name in the calabash in the River Thames at 3.33am tonight.  angry

Maybe na that River Thames go carry you go Sagamu
Re: Court Awards N11m To Arrested Acn Members by ojogbontomoye: 12:10am On Mar 07, 2012
Sagamite:

Genius. If there was a formula to tort reward,  people would simply adjust their demand.   Ode oshi. Olodo. Oloriburuku. Koni da fun iya e. Motor loma pae and you wont be compensated for making a mess on the streets of London.
Re: Court Awards N11m To Arrested Acn Members by ojogbontomoye: 12:15am On Mar 07, 2012
After reading Naijasexys post, I have to bow to Sagamitem just a lil.

Sagamite, you get game sha ( small) or maybe naijasexy is just too damaged to attract better guys in real life? London to Canada, which kain relationship be that?

I will go with the latter. I think the girl is f****** damaged.
Re: Court Awards N11m To Arrested Acn Members by ojogbontomoye: 12:22am On Mar 07, 2012
Sagamite:

Anuofia, how can you[size=18pt][b] talk crassly about [/b][/size]such a nice girl?

Which kain English be this again ooooooooo

With all his unchecked braggadocio, English definitely isnt his primary language at home.
Re: Court Awards N11m To Arrested Acn Members by Nobody: 12:42am On Mar 07, 2012
You guys are all clowns. Continue in your foolery. It's really no skin off my nose.
Re: Court Awards N11m To Arrested Acn Members by dayokanu(m): 12:50am On Mar 07, 2012
^^I am closer to you call me too
Re: Court Awards N11m To Arrested Acn Members by Nobody: 12:52am On Mar 07, 2012
^mtcheew!
Re: Court Awards N11m To Arrested Acn Members by dayokanu(m): 12:54am On Mar 07, 2012
^^ Hey sexy, Why are you mccheewing to me?
Re: Court Awards N11m To Arrested Acn Members by ojogbontomoye: 12:55am On Mar 07, 2012
naijasexy:

You guys are all clowns. Continue in your foolery. It's really no skin off my nose.

Well we weren't targeting your nose in the first place. What am i supposed to do with your nose?

We are all targeting the same thing Sagamite is targeting .    .   .  yeah, those holes between your legs ( 3 or thereabout). How do you want it, all of us at once a la short-gun option or one at a time .   .   . we can work our way up from the smallest to the biggest, if you prefer to not go with the short-gun option.
Re: Court Awards N11m To Arrested Acn Members by ojogbontomoye: 12:59am On Mar 07, 2012
naijasexy:

^mtcheew!

Dont mind him, I am the closest to you . . . 6hrs drive Vs. DKs 48hrs drive Vs Mr. Londoner.

And besides, I have the smallest dyck too, you may want to start with my tool and work your way up . . . what say you?.
Re: Court Awards N11m To Arrested Acn Members by Nobody: 1:11am On Mar 07, 2012
^^ Shut up. slowpoke.
Re: Court Awards N11m To Arrested Acn Members by ojogbontomoye: 1:15am On Mar 07, 2012
^^^

naijasexy:

^^ Shut up. slowpoke.
How did you know my nickname? You ve been stalking me? I think you are in love already, arent ya?

I always like to take it slow with sexy girls, especially when I am entering their premises. I will take it super slow with you. Manhattan or Quebec?
Re: Court Awards N11m To Arrested Acn Members by Nobody: 1:28am On Mar 07, 2012
ojogbontomoye:

^^^
How did you know my nickname?

I always like to take it slow with sexy girls, especially when I am entering their premises. I will take it super slow with you. Manhattan or Quebec?

I am really just gonna ignore you. Have a good night. kiss
Re: Court Awards N11m To Arrested Acn Members by ojogbontomoye: 1:36am On Mar 07, 2012
naijasexy:

I am really just gonna ignore you. Have a good night.  kiss

That doesnt always work. It never does. You crave attention just like every other girl ( very obvious if you look back at your first post on this thread) .    .    . at least it wasnt me who was so damaged to the point that I had to come online to beg[b] f[/b]agamite for not picking his call. You know you could have called or texted him back.   .   .  instead of making a scene about it on NL. Now we know[b] f[/b]agamite wants to shagg you and you are playing hard to get.  cheesy

10 threads from this one, you will be apologising  to me just the way you did to Shagamo/r/o/n. Trust me .   .   . grin

I have you figured out already .    .     . You are crazyyyyyyyyyyyyy. Now go take your SSRI, and then come back to apologize. Dont worry about it, I have a big heart.   .    .
Re: Court Awards N11m To Arrested Acn Members by ojogbontomoye: 1:49am On Mar 07, 2012
naijasexy:

I am really just gonna ignore you. Have a good night.  kiss

Before I get off this topic since everyone is deleting their posts already? I see under G moves going oooooooooooooooooon wink

Naijasexy? Is it his mug shot or his posts abi you are too damaged to know which one grin?

[img]https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?action=dlattach;id=655675;type=avatar[/img]

Well, if it is the mug shot, then I think you are damaged beyond redemption.  .  . I’m just sayin’, you could do better
Tell me have you heard that lately?

And I’ll start hatin’, only if you make me grin
Re: Court Awards N11m To Arrested Acn Members by ojogbontomoye: 2:12am On Mar 07, 2012
naijasexy:

^^^ Unfortunately Men (especially African) think they are so clever and smart that they come under the pretense of "I love you" when the thing whey really want to do is s/h/agging. Anyway, thank God I am not gullible, coz if I were to go by the recharge cards this [b]Sagamite sends to my phone every blessed day, I for don say yes te te[/b]. sad (lol)

Wow, Fagamite has been sending you recharge cards.

This guy seems to be taking this s/h/a/g/g/i/n/g issue seriously .    .    .like a full-time job or something. grin

I don misss mehn.

(1) (Reply)

Breaking News: Ouk, Senator Nkechi Nwaogu Behind Abia Awakening, Abia People’s V / I’m On A Rescue Mission – Obasanjo / Blame FG For Tanker Explosion – Governor Fashola

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.