Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,694 members, 7,802,034 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:16 AM

Lagos Demolishes Three Mosques, Relocates Churches. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Demolishes Three Mosques, Relocates Churches. (7529 Views)

Tears As Lagos Demolishes Oshodi Market (PHOTOS) / Arrest Order: Saraki Relocates From Residence - The Nation / Buhari Relocates To Defence House In Maitama, Abuja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Demolishes Three Mosques, Relocates Churches. by naptu2: 12:41pm On Mar 06, 2012
LAGOS DEMOLISHES THREE MOSQUES, RELOCATES CHURCHES

By Olasunkanmi Akoni & Monsur Olowoopejo
LAGOS — Following an order by Governor Babatunde Fashola, banning religious activities within Lagos State secretariat, the state government, weekend, demolished over three mosques and relocated churches in the state secretariat, Alausa, Ikeja.

Fashola, in the order, had based the decision on the need to strengthen security at the secretariat in view of the spate of bomb attacks in some parts of the country and urged devotees to use the central mosque and the secretariat chapel for their prayers.

The mosques, which were reduced to rubbles, were located behind Ministries of Justice, Finance, Environment while the one behind the state Public Service Commission, PSC, which was not demolished but its entrance completely blocked.

When Vanguard visited the secretariat, Muslim faithful, who frequently pray at the affected mosques, were seen in groups discussing the development.

It was further learnt that the demolition was carried out weekend  to avoid violent reaction.

It was further learnt that efforts by Muslims, who are members of the state executive council to make the governor have a rethink on the decision they considered anti-Islam fell on deaf ears.

Sources said the Commander of the Rapid Response Squad, RRS, Mr Hakeem Odumosu, had alerted the governor on the need to carry out the measure due to the possibility of Boko Haram sect attacking from places of worship.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/03/lagos-demolishes-three-mosques-relocates-churches/
Re: Lagos Demolishes Three Mosques, Relocates Churches. by reindeer: 1:38pm On Mar 06, 2012
Nice one BRF!
Now go into the communities and do the same to all those noisy places of worship.
Re: Lagos Demolishes Three Mosques, Relocates Churches. by Demdem(m): 1:46pm On Mar 06, 2012
i keep loving BRF by the sec. kudos.
Re: Lagos Demolishes Three Mosques, Relocates Churches. by atasteve: 2:24pm On Mar 06, 2012
Although what was done by the government might cub the attacks in some ways but the ultimate solution is through intelligence and information gathering.
Re: Lagos Demolishes Three Mosques, Relocates Churches. by LEXYLOV: 2:25pm On Mar 06, 2012
I hope the outcome of this act will not ignite another wahala like extremist and BH activities in the state. Fashola and his government will not suffer anything though, but what about the innocent people. Better to provide another place and build it for them will help !!! undecided
Re: Lagos Demolishes Three Mosques, Relocates Churches. by ajbabs(m): 2:28pm On Mar 06, 2012
grin grin grin Just continue like that Governor Best Rogue Fellow.
Re: Lagos Demolishes Three Mosques, Relocates Churches. by GWslim(f): 2:33pm On Mar 06, 2012
LEXYLOV:

I hope the outcome of this act will not ignite another wahala like extremist and BH activities in the state. Fashola and his government will not suffer anything though, but what about the innocent people. Better to provide another place and build it for them will help !!! undecided

i don't think so.
Re: Lagos Demolishes Three Mosques, Relocates Churches. by otokx(m): 2:35pm On Mar 06, 2012
These pastors and imams no longer allow man to rest inside house again especially at night for the churches.
Re: Lagos Demolishes Three Mosques, Relocates Churches. by Okijajuju1(m): 2:49pm On Mar 06, 2012
I fear lagos would be hit soon because of this!!

If the burning of a Koran could set off violence, I wonder what the demolition of a mosque would cause!!

Although again, we are talking about Yoruba muslims and I doubt they have the same type of balls as their Ndi Ugwu colleagues!
Re: Lagos Demolishes Three Mosques, Relocates Churches. by stepo707: 3:01pm On Mar 06, 2012
Okija_juju:

I fear lagos would be hit soon because of this!!

If the burning of a Koran could set off violence, I wonder what the demolition of a mosque would cause!!

Although again, we are talking about Yoruba muslims and I doubt they have the same type of balls as their Ndi Ugwu colleagues!

Hmmn! Lets watch and see! undecided
Re: Lagos Demolishes Three Mosques, Relocates Churches. by naptu2: 3:07pm On Mar 06, 2012
I recall that some people were claiming that Fashola was biased when he shut some churches for violating the law against noise pollution. I wonder what they have to say now.
Re: Lagos Demolishes Three Mosques, Relocates Churches. by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 3:10pm On Mar 06, 2012
Here is a Gov that understands religion is not about socialization but a personal relationship focused on man and God.(Salvation) This is progress.
Re: Lagos Demolishes Three Mosques, Relocates Churches. by sweetgala(m): 3:16pm On Mar 06, 2012
I just too like that so like this fashola guy, he takes the right action without dramatisation or remorse.
Re: Lagos Demolishes Three Mosques, Relocates Churches. by SamMilla1(m): 3:43pm On Mar 06, 2012
Weldone Fash. You are truly educated.
Re: Lagos Demolishes Three Mosques, Relocates Churches. by dare0834(m): 4:44pm On Mar 06, 2012
He could do that because he is a muslim, a christain governor dare not do that, if he had done it there would have been protests and calls for him to resign by now
Re: Lagos Demolishes Three Mosques, Relocates Churches. by phartye(m): 5:01pm On Mar 06, 2012
I dont want to believe that those who were glad because this is done, are happy because of their hatred for Islam and Muslims. And Allah alone knows our true intentions. Peace!
Re: Lagos Demolishes Three Mosques, Relocates Churches. by chosen04(f): 5:09pm On Mar 06, 2012
The thief Agbero growing governor used N2.5B to construct Falomo link bridge that is 110 meters on a dried ground.

How much did it cost him to demolish the 3 mosques?

Its unfortunate that those heroic worshipers will never ask!
Re: Lagos Demolishes Three Mosques, Relocates Churches. by ajbabs(m): 6:06pm On Mar 06, 2012
@Chosen04, they will not reason.They have been blindfolded by these self acclaimed retrogressive(progressive) who are bunch of idiots even more stupid than their oga (pdp).
Re: Lagos Demolishes Three Mosques, Relocates Churches. by chosen04(f): 6:16pm On Mar 06, 2012
ajbabs:

@Chosen04, they will not reason.They have been blindfolded by these self acclaimed retrogressive(progressive) who are bunch of idiots even more silly than their oga (pdp).

What do you expect from heroic praise singers//
Re: Lagos Demolishes Three Mosques, Relocates Churches. by teskyg: 6:34pm On Mar 06, 2012
Cowards.dem can't do shit.don't glorify illegality.I wish they relocate dem all to Sango Otta.
Re: Lagos Demolishes Three Mosques, Relocates Churches. by Geomac: 6:45pm On Mar 06, 2012
teskyg:

Cowards.dem can't do poo.don't glorify illegality.I wish they relocate dem all to Sango Otta.
lol
Re: Lagos Demolishes Three Mosques, Relocates Churches. by Willywilly9: 7:06pm On Mar 06, 2012
Very Good move, he should allow women to urinate on that demolished Mosque, thank God three moslem terrorist camp demolished, kooooool
Re: Lagos Demolishes Three Mosques, Relocates Churches. by LagosShia: 7:33pm On Mar 06, 2012
i am not suprised by Fashola's action.this is a governor that is only muslim by name.he frequents with his christian wife churches and their orphanages more than he does with mosques and islamic centers,if any exist.ever since he became a governor what can he claim to have done for his own religion and its institutions? i'm not aware of any.take a place like the lekki-epe expressway for instance;you could probably count more churches lining the highway than businesses.how many mosques are visible from the highway? i think only two or at most three!Lagos state yoruba indigenes are more muslims than christians even though you find more churches than christians in Lagos,figuratively.let those who are not please to hear this know that well,regardless if they like it or not.we know churches are more or less market places for money making and scamming the poor masses under religious tales and fantasies.when i heard of the churches that were shut because of noise pollution,i sensed a funny action against mosques or muslims could be taken to strike a "balance".

i do not support the building of mosques or any place of worship illegally (which in itself is islamically haram) or on land that is not acquired rightfully for the purpose of worship.however,there is nothing to be pleased with this action itself.at least substitutes should be provided.most of these make-shift mosques are put in place because there are not enough mosques in Lagos to cater to the needs of practicing muslims.you just need to see how mosques are over-full on fridays.worshippers most times spread their mats outside the mosque and even into the streets.this isn't fair.
Re: Lagos Demolishes Three Mosques, Relocates Churches. by Gerrard59(m): 8:26pm On Mar 06, 2012
@LagosShia, So what next? Go and bomb Fashola if you like. Ayatollah. Mind you Israel is coming,get ready. I like this fashola secularity.
Re: Lagos Demolishes Three Mosques, Relocates Churches. by Akiika: 8:39pm On Mar 06, 2012
How has the "pure water" number of churches and mosques affected our lives as Nigerian?, we are the most corrupt, unfaithful, deceitful, untrustworthy and hypocritical set of human being in the world. If any religious organization is built in a wrong place, let it be demolished. Have your freedom of religion without disturbing the society. What's the point having churches and mosques on every street? if the intention is not to make money and we are praying to the same God, then let's do it together in a common place of worship. Nigerians have started this nonsense here in Houston, they rent shops meant for business and use it as church, redeem and winners chapel are at the forefront, but i know it's a matter of time before some group complains and some law will be in place to stop the craziness.
Re: Lagos Demolishes Three Mosques, Relocates Churches. by Iolo(m): 9:13pm On Mar 06, 2012
@LagosShia,

Before shouting murder over this issue not that the mosques and churches affected were built inside the lagos state secretariat complex, who do you think owns the land? Do you think the rightful owner of the land doesn't have a right to dictate what happens and what doesn't to these makeshit religious buildings?

Like it or not, it makes sense from a security stand-point to have everyone either move out of the complex entirely for religious activities, or make use of a place that can be well protected by the security forces. And read the article very well, there's a clear alternative for any muslim or christian to worship so why complain?

The way you people carry religion on your heads ehn, I just tire. Anybody can demolish any church or mosque, these are just buildings and God doesn't reside in them.
Re: Lagos Demolishes Three Mosques, Relocates Churches. by tunnytox(m): 9:26pm On Mar 06, 2012
Iolo:

@LagosShia,

Before shouting murder over this issue not that the mosques and churches affected were built inside the lagos state secretariat complex, who do you think owns the land? Do you think the rightful owner of the land doesn't have a right to dictate what happens and what doesn't to these makeshit religious buildings?

Like it or not, it makes sense from a security stand-point to have everyone either move out of the complex entirely for religious activities, or make use of a place that can be well protected by the security forces. And read the article very well, there's a clear alternative for any muslim or christian to worship so why complain?

The way you people carry religion on your heads ehn, I just tire. Anybody can demolish any church or mosque, these are just buildings and God doesn't reside in them.

Abeg tell them o! Nigerians and religion! and despite thier believe they are still very corrupt.

@Lagoshia
You said churches are only for money making business? don't worry mosques are catching up with the churches I can't imagine how chaotic it will be cheesy cheesy cheesy Churches and Mosques on every street SMH
Re: Lagos Demolishes Three Mosques, Relocates Churches. by aljharem(m): 9:31pm On Mar 06, 2012
LagosShia:

i am not suprised by Fashola's action.this is a governor that is only muslim by name.he frequents with his christian wife churches and their orphanages more than he does with mosques and islamic centers,if any exist.ever since he became a governor what can he claim to have done for his own religion and its institutions? i'm not aware of any.take a place like the lekki-epe expressway for instance;you could probably count more churches lining the highway than businesses.how many mosques are visible from the highway? i think only two or at most three!Lagos state yoruba indigenes are more muslims than christians even though you find more churches than christians in Lagos,figuratively.let those who are not please to hear this know that well,regardless if they like it or not.we know churches are more or less market places for money making and scamming the poor masses under religious tales and fantasies.when i heard of the churches that were shut because of noise pollution,i sensed a funny action against mosques or muslims could be taken to strike a "balance".

i do not support the building of mosques or any place of worship illegally (which in itself is islamically haram) or on land that is not acquired rightfully for the purpose of worship.however,there is nothing to be pleased with this action itself.at least substitutes should be provided.most of these make-shift mosques are put in place because there are not enough mosques in Lagos to cater to the needs of practicing muslims.you just need to see how mosques are over-full on fridays.worshippers most times spread their mats outside the mosque and even into the streets.this isn't fair.

Yes you are correct but trying to turn this into some sort of anti-Muslim issue is not the right way to go about it. Yes I am a Proud Muslim as well and so is Fashola and even an indigene of Lagos state.

If he demolish the Churches, Christians would say the samething you are saying if not worse. Trying to question his faith because of his "economic" policies he made is a very wrong way of doing things. Allah searches all, if he did it in good faith, then so be it.
Re: Lagos Demolishes Three Mosques, Relocates Churches. by guonno: 10:01pm On Mar 06, 2012
A LETTER TO LAGOS STATE!!!
WE THE MEMBERS OF GBOKO HARAM SOUTH EAST NIGERIAN FACTION, WILL VISIT LAGOS STATE BEFORE THIS MONTH WILL RUN OUT. Alahu akbah! Lol

Re: Lagos Demolishes Three Mosques, Relocates Churches. by ayojango(m): 12:08am On Mar 07, 2012
DEMOLISH every gaddem,killers hav no place to hide anymore tongue
Re: Lagos Demolishes Three Mosques, Relocates Churches. by johnie: 7:41am On Mar 07, 2012
LagosShia:

shocked

So Fashola invited all those churches to Lagos and gave them "free" land to build?
Re: Lagos Demolishes Three Mosques, Relocates Churches. by klem: 9:08am On Mar 07, 2012
@ Lagoshia, let not be sentimental and bring in religion into this issue. It was clearly stated that the action was taken as a security measure due to the possibility of attack being carried out from religious places. And for you trying to judge his Faith because of this is going too far. Haba, na you holy pass. Even if, thou shall not judge

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is Anambra State Among The Oil Producing State. / The Role Of Presiding and Principal Officers In The Senate And House Of Reps / The Presbyterian Church Of Biafra In 1858

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.