Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,587 members, 7,809,124 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:14 AM

Do We Need New States In Nigeria ? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Do We Need New States In Nigeria ? (20742 Views)

Oil Producing states In Nigeria - The Facts and Figures / Five Top Fastest Developing States In Nigeria That Are Undisputable / The List Of New States To Be Created In Nigeria Approved By The CONFAB (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do We Need New States In Nigeria ? by gegee(m): 2:46pm On Mar 06, 2012
there has been a lot of clamouring for new states to be created out of nigeria's existing 36 states. senator ekweremadu revealed that not less than 45 requests for new states have been made to the national assembly so far. the question is what is the drive for new states to be created? is it to fast track development, correct injustice meted out to minorities? or is it just to secure a political empire for the political elite, and to have a channel to eat of their own share of the "national cake" if all requests are granted, nigeria will have a total of 81 sates. can nigeria afford to have all these states ?

these are some of the more serious requests:

PROPOSED NAME TO BE CREATED FROM

Njaba state Anambra state
Orlu state Imo state
Igbo Eze state the entire igbo sates
Adada state Enugu state
Anuma state Delta & Anambra states
Aba state Abia state
Toru Ibe state Edo & Delta states
Ogoja state Cross Rivers State
Urhobo State Delta State
Orashi state Rivers and Imo states

Apa state Benue state
Okun state Kogi state
Borgu state NIger state
Edu state Kwara/kogi/Niger states
Kainji state Kogi state
Ado/confluence state Kogi state

New Ijebu Ogun & Lagos states
Ibadan state Oyo state
Oduduwa state Osun state
Oke Ogun state Oyo state
Ijesha Osun state

Katagum state Bauchi state
Savannah state Bornu state
Gurara state Kaduna state
Southern Kaduna state Kaduna state

Re: Do We Need New States In Nigeria ? by Okijajuju1(m): 2:55pm On Mar 06, 2012
Omo Igbo region small sha!!

angry
Re: Do We Need New States In Nigeria ? by Claus(m): 2:58pm On Mar 06, 2012
States actually need to be combined, ie, the number of states needs to reduce. A major problem in Nigeria is the cost of governance. With each state comes a governor, deputy governor, commissioners and hundreds of special assistants/advisers many of whom add no value.

Governance in Nigeria is all about chopping. That's why some people clamour for more states so that their own turn to chop can come around quicker.

Getting development to the people can be accomplished by reforming all levels of government, especially the local governments, not by creating even more states.
Re: Do We Need New States In Nigeria ? by Demdem(m): 3:01pm On Mar 06, 2012
No we dont. Instead all states should be scrapped and lets have regional government that controls their various resources as it was during the first repulblic.
Re: Do We Need New States In Nigeria ? by leffects(m): 3:05pm On Mar 06, 2012
I think creating more states will bring the Govt closer to the Masses, this also brings about development.
Re: Do We Need New States In Nigeria ? by Nobody: 3:13pm On Mar 06, 2012
leffects:

I think creating more states will bring the Govt closer to the Masses, this also brings about development.
And what's the job of the local government?
Re: Do We Need New States In Nigeria ? by kunlekunle: 3:13pm On Mar 06, 2012
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think creating more states will bring the Govt closer to the Masses, this also brings about development

better at the local govt level
Re: Do We Need New States In Nigeria ? by otokx(m): 3:14pm On Mar 06, 2012
No
Re: Do We Need New States In Nigeria ? by Fhemmmy: 3:19pm On Mar 06, 2012
We are yet to take care of the ones we have.
Re: Do We Need New States In Nigeria ? by naptu2: 3:21pm On Mar 06, 2012
Let's go back to 19 state structure, with stronger local governments. Each ethnic group should have at least one local government and there should be federalism at the state/local government level.

Development will only occur when we have resource control and a conducive environment for the private sector to invest.

Resources should be shared according to the following formula: the individual who owns the land owns the resource. He pays tax (of not more than 50% to the government. Local government gets 25%, state government gets 30%, Federal Government gets 20%, while 25% is redistributed to states and given to states with emergencies (eg, flood, drought, etc).
Re: Do We Need New States In Nigeria ? by hamsky: 3:22pm On Mar 06, 2012
No we don't. I think having too many states causes diversity problems which is basically one of Nigeria's main problems.
Re: Do We Need New States In Nigeria ? by kokoA(m): 3:23pm On Mar 06, 2012
I am not in full support of state creation because of high cost of governance but I will give my total support for the creation of "Southern-Kaduna State" to achieve peace in Kaduna. Let the christian dominated area govern themselves while the Muslims also run their own government to stop frequent and unecessary spilling of innocent bloods.
Re: Do We Need New States In Nigeria ? by Nayah(f): 3:23pm On Mar 06, 2012
Poster, I truly believe that it would be pointless, because it would worstened the division in the country
Re: Do We Need New States In Nigeria ? by PROUDTOBENAIJA(m): 3:28pm On Mar 06, 2012
YES!!!!!!!
GIVE US A NEW IN THE DELTA-IBO REGION STARTING FROM KWALE TO ASABA NO ANAMBRA.

OUR PREFERRED NAME IS "ANIOMA STATE"

N'DE WO NU OOOOO.
Re: Do We Need New States In Nigeria ? by kokoA(m): 3:30pm On Mar 06, 2012
Nayah:

Poster, I truly believe that it would be pointless, because it would worstened the division in the country

My dear, it can't get worse than this. We are already devided. Nigeria is a forced marriage now. sad
Re: Do We Need New States In Nigeria ? by Standing5(m): 3:32pm On Mar 06, 2012
I say 18 states structure. We have to many duplication of function in our system.
Re: Do We Need New States In Nigeria ? by humblebee: 3:33pm On Mar 06, 2012
our problem obviously not in creation of new states but creation of new brains,
Re: Do We Need New States In Nigeria ? by sylve11: 3:35pm On Mar 06, 2012
why are they requesting for more creation of states if not for selfish reasons? cool
Re: Do We Need New States In Nigeria ? by Nobody: 3:37pm On Mar 06, 2012
Ijebu State Now Now
Re: Do We Need New States In Nigeria ? by hbrednic: 3:38pm On Mar 06, 2012
more states means more  federal allocation,hence the clamour.
Re: Do We Need New States In Nigeria ? by naptu2: 3:39pm On Mar 06, 2012
More states means lightweight politicians can aspire to be governors.
Re: Do We Need New States In Nigeria ? by babaowo: 3:42pm On Mar 06, 2012
This ppl can never be serious @all upon all that happening in the country Why can't they add BOKO HARAM state for bombers.
Re: Do We Need New States In Nigeria ? by Afam4eva(m): 3:45pm On Mar 06, 2012
Not necessarily but we need equality of states or regions.
Re: Do We Need New States In Nigeria ? by Nayah(f): 3:48pm On Mar 06, 2012
afam4eva:

Not necessarily but we need equality of states or regions.
Hi afam!!! how are you?

kokoA:

My dear, it can't get worse than this. We are already devided. Nigeria is a forced marriage now. sad
Really?? me I don't think otherwise Nigeria would have implosed since then
Re: Do We Need New States In Nigeria ? by musiwa43: 3:48pm On Mar 06, 2012
s
Re: Do We Need New States In Nigeria ? by babsjnr(m): 3:49pm On Mar 06, 2012
When is igbo man going to be president in nigeria
Re: Do We Need New States In Nigeria ? by Demdem(m): 3:52pm On Mar 06, 2012
^^^^

My friend, dont start another tribal war here abegii
Re: Do We Need New States In Nigeria ? by Afam4eva(m): 3:56pm On Mar 06, 2012
Nayah:

Hi afam!!! how are you?

I'm good. How body?
Re: Do We Need New States In Nigeria ? by LEXYLOV: 4:01pm On Mar 06, 2012
babsjnr:

When is igbo man going to be president in nigeria
2050 wink
Re: Do We Need New States In Nigeria ? by Nobody: 4:04pm On Mar 06, 2012
Nope 4 what now? angry, For new people like the OP to steal money easily. If i can just get there and i know i would, I would so make the competition for political post so uninteresting, Cuz cost of governance would be reduced to the barest minimum. angry
Re: Do We Need New States In Nigeria ? by Nayah(f): 4:05pm On Mar 06, 2012
afam4eva:

I'm good. How body?
LOL I'm okay too bro so what do you think about this "new states" topic
Re: Do We Need New States In Nigeria ? by humblebee: 4:06pm On Mar 06, 2012
babsjnr:

When is  igbo man going to be president in nigeria

at the resurrection on ojukwu, since he's the most celebrated igbo man
u guys had better stop eying that seat and go back to alaba international #nooffense

(1) (2) (Reply)

Governor Okorocha Congratulates Buhari / I’ll Reject Ministerial Position If Offered –kalu / Anambra Kicks As NCAA Suspends Commissioning Of Anambra Int'l Airport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.