Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,887 members, 7,802,862 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:41 PM

Nigerians In The Diaspora Or @home : Who's Responsible For The Negative Image ! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians In The Diaspora Or @home : Who's Responsible For The Negative Image ! (3560 Views)

#SarakiCCT: Zakari Mohammed Responsible For Blackout During Saraki's CCT Trial / Abike Dabiri's Reply To A Nigerian In The Diaspora On Twitter (pics) / Obama's Media Team Responsible For APC's "CHANGE" Campaign - Washington FB (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians In The Diaspora Or @home : Who's Responsible For The Negative Image ! by seenoevil1: 3:59pm On Mar 06, 2012
Some Nigerians in Nigeria and in the Diaspora seem to be working tirelessly to tarnish the name of the country .

Crimes ranging from fraud , forgery , drug dealing ,Money laundering , violation / r.ape to name a few can be linked to some Nigerians abroad and this has led to some sort of National stereotyping and profiling in Other African countries , Western countries and to a large extent most parts of the world and which has led to countless cases of deportation and imprisonment . In some of these cases the Nigerians are wrongfully accused and treated with injustice however in MOST cases the Nigerians are actually guilty of the crime .

These days Nigerians are tagged terrorists , fraudsters , pro.stitutes , drug dealers etc and to a large extent most of those who point accusing fingers at Nigerians do so out of ignorance but then again if you take the statistics and facts on ground (Boko haram , corrupt leaders , violent conduct of some Nigerians abroad , drug dealing etc) then you would probably find some wisdom in their stereotypical mindset . We are just 3 months into 2012 and yet i have seen more stories of Nigerians in the diaspora commit crimes than i saw in 2011 as a whole

so my question is this :

1. Is the moral standards / family values in the Nigerian community abroad on an all time low ? If yes why .

2. Is there a certain dysfunctional trait in the Nigerian society in Nigeria .

3. Is the society of the west (USA , UK , EUROPE) responsible for corrupting Nigerians in the diaspora ?

4. Would you be proud to be referred to as a Nigerian in general or would you prefer to be identifty yourself based on your Tribe .

5. Would you blame the Nigerian society / Nigerians back home for the dent on the image of Nigerians in the diaspora / Nigerians as a people .

6. Does the Federal Government have a role to play in all of these ??

7. If you weren't a Nigerian what would be your perception of the average Nigerian ?

8. Is there a lack of purpose on the side of some Nigerians who travel abroad ?
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Or @home : Who's Responsible For The Negative Image ! by Mobinga: 8:44pm On Mar 06, 2012
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Or @home : Who's Responsible For The Negative Image ! by collinsfbi(m): 9:42am On Mar 07, 2012
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Or @home : Who's Responsible For The Negative Image ! by pdone: 9:49am On Mar 07, 2012
@Poster,

I recommend that you read this book "Confession of Economic Hitman". After reading the book, you will start to understand why Nigeria is at the state of it is now. How Shell, Chevron, and other International Companies has contributed in destroying Nigeria. You will also asked yourself how much did people like Abacha, Babaginda, OBJ, and other formal leaders of the country has betrayed most of Nigerians and forced them into a bad habit. You will understand how frustration can push a person beyond his elastic limit.

So to answer your question, you can put 60% blame on corrupt corporations, 35% blame on our past and present leaders, and 5% on the citizens.
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Or @home : Who's Responsible For The Negative Image ! by Agimor(m): 9:56am On Mar 07, 2012
Before now nigerians has an inherent dislike for social vices and or foams of devilish attitudes,till european brothers brought civilization to nigeria which have eaten dip into our system.and now we are asking who is the cause of our problems,we are the cause of our problems because our problems lives and abide with us.will just need to seek god intervention.
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Or @home : Who's Responsible For The Negative Image ! by Nobody: 10:10am On Mar 07, 2012
Ofcourse its Nigerians at home that tarnish the image of Nigeria.

Nigerians abroad are chickens. They obey all laws. The few that broke laws are in jail now.
It is Nigerians at home that run drug business, yahoo scams and all sorts from here. Nigerian politicians launder money from here.
Nigerians at home are held responsible for corroding the name of Nigeria.

The only thing about Nigerians in diaspora is that wehn serious issues come up in Nigeria, they just run their mouths like water and give false opinion without fully comprehending the situation.
They sit over there and watch diluted news on cable and then start giving silly opinions that were not properly examined on based on what they collect from sometimes rusted views of the press
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Or @home : Who's Responsible For The Negative Image ! by AreaFada2: 10:28am On Mar 07, 2012
Breezy147,

Don't forget that Nigerians abroad are not insulated from Naija woes.
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Or @home : Who's Responsible For The Negative Image ! by slam7000(m): 10:37am On Mar 07, 2012
@agimor, Nigerians association in crime has nothing to do with western civilisation,im disappointed with that assertion, the fish starts to rot from the head, ask your self why thousands of jobless nigerian youths will risk their lives avoiding and sometimes boldly confronting tuareg gunmen trying to cross the desert en route to north africa-europe,why thousands of girls mid western girls will risk their lives to sell their bodies to italian and tourists in italy or why thousands of our youths are in various countries either doing good business or wasting their lives inside prisons, abike dabiri was quoted as saying that 77% of black medical doctors in the usa are nigerians though i doubt that figure, why do you think we have lots of people in diaspora and lots more are still attempting to leave the country, tell your govt to create enabling environment for talents to flourish, we had to depend on british govt to prosecute and jail james ibori, one time gov in nigeria, joshia dariye was caught in almost same offence.same as depriye alamesieya, tafa balogun embezzeled trillions and only got 6months vip in prison,bode george was out of prison and cream de la  cream of pdp was there at his thanksgiving including former president OBJ.Bankole did same and seems he,ll walk free.Nigeria is simply rotten to the core and the fault isnt those in diaspora, i feel embarrassed when i read such online or the dailies here in the uk,ive been a victim of hate cos of my nationalities but i really dont think you.d blame those outside for the so called tarnished image.
naija leadership got to be blamed,this is a country where police and military kill innocent civilians and nothing happens,62 senators travelled to south africa in 2010 during the SA world cup and they werent probed.
we celebrate evil and thats the way it is and thats the way its going to be,blame the leaders and not the followers,one man or even thousands of diasporans doing lots of good things wont change the govt.Kill corruption,nigerians are very good people and will change automatically.otherwise complain as much as you want,lots of naijas will be online attempting to scam others,lots of people will be devising ways of dealing drugs and other crimes.
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Or @home : Who's Responsible For The Negative Image ! by uchlukez(f): 10:43am On Mar 07, 2012
[color=#990000][/color]of course, it's those diasporean idiots who commit all sorts of atrocities in jand and Yankee that give us a bad name. it is either they are caught pregnant with coke, they are cleaning some white folks asssss, they are marrying a menopaused white hag for papers, they are rapin some dull white teenagers, or they are defrauding some white folks. Must u be abroad? If u can't make it deport ya self. grin
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Or @home : Who's Responsible For The Negative Image ! by Skywalker5(m): 10:46am On Mar 07, 2012
There we go again. Always shifting blame to one side. First its was a tribal issue.Now its Nigerians abroad. When will you guys learn to take responsibility rather than throwing blame on someone else. Are you saying Fraud is not being committed in Nigeria? So its ok to hide the fraud in Nigeria but when it is done abroad, Its a shame. Whats your point?i dont get it.
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Or @home : Who's Responsible For The Negative Image ! by dexymine: 10:50am On Mar 07, 2012
It's not a matter of who's responsible for the negative image, Nigeria still has a long way to go. There's no way anyone can hide that.

When I first came to the UK, I was so angry. Angry at my Government.

Angry at everything they deprived my people of, myself inclusive.

It is true that in a country, everyone is conected.

No longer can we turn our eyes away, not speak about issues and say they don't concern us. The misdeeds of past Governments are knocking on every man's door. Yours inclusive. Take a ride with me. And remember that we have a long way to go:

Everytime you're cheated and you do not receive justice
Everytime you get home and there's no light or water
Everytime the corporate big wigs try to get the better of you with their excessive charges
Everytime you have to wait on endless queues to buy something you need with your own money
Everytime you're robbed or in an emergency and there's no number to call
Eveytime you look at the disabled and the homeless
Everytime there's an election and it's rigged
Everytime there's a contract placed on the pages of the newspapers and you know it's only been done for show
Everytime you count the number of unemployed and the dreams that have died
Everytime you see the number of failed businesses
Everytime you see an unsolved murder.

I write this without pausing.

This is 2012. My country has failed me.

I look at developed countries and see what they have. How their Government pays attention to them , how their votes count and how those who do not have work can live off benefits.

And many in Nigeria suffer for the sins of a few. Is this really a situation one should defend by not talking about it in the open? As some would say, the first step to solving a problem is identifying that you have one

It' s a systemic problem - one issue leads to another which generates a cascade of tribulations for the common man. For everyman.

What can we do?
When does this end?
Do we really want it to end?
Who's fooling who?
Do you want to bring up your children in a seemingly hopeless country?
Without the resources and convenience they need?

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Or @home : Who's Responsible For The Negative Image ! by nora544: 10:58am On Mar 07, 2012
There are many Nigerians who work as romancescammers, I just get a mail from a  black man who say he live in new york but when i look at the header of his mail than it comes direct from Lagos.

I can write stories about this and they don't know what they make with woman or man, they destroy life's but the only see the money they can get.

Why we here say to all 419 Nigeria connection.

This peoples don't know what a bad sign they give to there homeland.

Nora
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Or @home : Who's Responsible For The Negative Image ! by LEXYLOV: 11:11am On Mar 07, 2012
Ask IBB your Question. He started it all, there was highly sanity and respect in Nigeria community and great honor and respect by the international communities towards Nigerians During Buhari/Idiagbon regime. Maradona evil genius chop i chop etc are IBB hallmark. He brought all this 419, ritual, hardship, etc upon Nigerians. I'm still waiting and watching how God will deal with that monster before his shameful and painful death. lipsrsealed
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Or @home : Who's Responsible For The Negative Image ! by highland(m): 11:44am On Mar 07, 2012
Those going abroad to for robbery and rug caused more damage to this country than anything ease.
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Or @home : Who's Responsible For The Negative Image ! by fred2265: 11:44am On Mar 07, 2012
The image is partly at least created by racist ex-colonial media in the west.
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Or @home : Who's Responsible For The Negative Image ! by pdone: 11:54am On Mar 07, 2012
fred2265:

The image is partly at least created by racist ex-colonial media in the west.

That is another great point you mention there.
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Or @home : Who's Responsible For The Negative Image ! by Okijajuju1(m): 12:06pm On Mar 07, 2012
Abumutallab angry (Terrorists)

Yoruba people (Dirty Owanbe partying and Baba suwe drug smugllers)
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Or @home : Who's Responsible For The Negative Image ! by Skywalker5(m): 12:08pm On Mar 07, 2012
Okija_juju:

Its obvious people like you will never change. whatever you say to make you feel better. hiding behind computers to diss other people's tribe
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Or @home : Who's Responsible For The Negative Image ! by Nobody: 12:25pm On Mar 07, 2012
Okija

Igbo (canibalistic bastards, ate whitemen during civilwar, still eat whitemen till date, ritual killings, money laundering, architects of fake products harming people).

Is that it?

Grow up Mr man and kill tribalism
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Or @home : Who's Responsible For The Negative Image ! by Moralistli(m): 12:29pm On Mar 07, 2012

I recommend that you read this book "Confession of Economic Hitman". After reading the book, you will start to understand why Nigeria is at the state of it is now. How Shell, Chevron, and other International Companies has contributed in destroying Nigeria. You will also asked yourself how much did people like Abacha, Babaginda, OBJ, and other formal leaders of the country has betrayed most of Nigerians and forced them into a bad habit. You will understand how frustration can push a person beyond his elastic limit.

So to answer your question, you can put 60% blame on corrupt corporations, 35% blame on our past and present leaders, and 5% on the citizens

Well done, man of deep reasoning!

Only the truth exacts a nation peeps!!
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Or @home : Who's Responsible For The Negative Image ! by Moralistli(m): 12:52pm On Mar 07, 2012
Meant to say 'Exalts"

Meanwhile, it is the responsibility of any nation to care for his citizens, on the other hand, here is where " up-to-date foreign policy matters" but corruption let that be fully demonstrated even if they were ever implemented.

Other nationals equally commit crimes abroad, but treated in a different way by their various government, some even after jail terms. How many times has NIGERIAN GOVERNMENT refer any misbehaved citizen to REHAB CENTRE.

Do we have functioning (even African standard) WELFARE CENTRES IN NIGERIA?

Corruption dabaru everything. The only way out is to continue make favourable laws and consciously enforce them with the help of "law Enforcement Agencies"
Sad as it may be, corruption being the deadly cancerous virus that it is has already through with these so called LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCIES that would have really helped out due to the singular fact that the entire system is porous!

Look at corruption clapping for itself here now, instead of PDP to sit tight and work harder by urging their member in various political office to do the right thing, they are there celebrating BABA IYABO! My people, Hmmm, I hail in 9ja style ooooo! If i kick this PDP butts!
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Or @home : Who's Responsible For The Negative Image ! by LEXYLOV: 1:23pm On Mar 07, 2012
Okija_juju:

I never know that you are also one of the tribalism bigot buffoons we have all around nairaland forum. embarassed
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Or @home : Who's Responsible For The Negative Image ! by Nayah(f): 1:33pm On Mar 07, 2012
I don't think this is a relevnt question because home or based abroad they're still Nigerians, the thing is not generalizing but admitting that Nigeria's image is tarnished and work to re establish the truth about this country: Welcoming, enjoying, hard working all these values have to be more showcased and FG need to think about a very relevant and strong domestic diplomatic stratégy to reverse the trend
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Or @home : Who's Responsible For The Negative Image ! by sucessful1: 1:49pm On Mar 07, 2012
colonials:for handing 9ja leadership to handicaps and introducing us to their conspicious way of life.

big co-operations e.g shell and e.t.c for corrupting our leaders

past leaders:for setting bad examples to the pple they are leading

churches:preaching enough prosperity but not enough repentance

education system;from primary school corruptions are taught

parents :not inserting basic moral to their children

children wanting better life by all means.

about saying educational system,I know that many will not agree with me on this
but I know what am talking about.I left 9ja at age 9 while in primary 5 all I can remember
about the school was standing up in class and reading what they called reader then,the stories
in the books are all bout fraud,robbery and e.t.c

one passage in my head was a man called ali he wanted get rich without working hard,he then device
himself a plan on how to get rich.the plan was dubious another story was about a bird that was holding a chunk
of beaf in it mouth while sitting on tree,then a dog saw him holding a meat on his mouth,then the dog started beging
the bird to sing,then as the bird started singing the meat fell out of it's mouth,guess what?the dog took it and ran off.

this type of stories are not for kids.there are so many of these stories another one was kalu and chinwe witnessing a robbery.
the stories are interesting but not for kids.
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Or @home : Who's Responsible For The Negative Image ! by Moralistli(m): 2:01pm On Mar 07, 2012
@sucessful1 , seriously, reform n orientation of all sorts are needed in dat land. Seeeeee corrupt story books!!!! I dey LAUGH
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Or @home : Who's Responsible For The Negative Image ! by nagoma(m): 2:58pm On Mar 07, 2012
[b]A Nigerian fraudster who hijacked the identities of soldiers and nurses in a $1.3 million benefits plot has been jailed in the UK for six years.[/b]Chibuikem Uzoma-Ubani and another Nigerian partner in crime [b]opened 752 bank accou[/b]nts to perpetrate the fraud.

Chibuikem Uzoma-Ubani, 29, persuaded several lovers to help him launder the profits from the swindle that targeted tax credits and Sure Start maternity grants, reports The Daily Mail.

Denisa Camacho, 28, of Godmanchester, Cambridgeshire, and Katrina Papiernikova, 27, of Romford, Essex both had relationships with Uzoma-Ubani, after arriving in the UK from Slovakia and were accused of turning a blind eye to his activities.

Uzoma-Ubani, of Romford, Essex, married Camacho in 2004, then divorced her and had two children by Papiernikova.

The women both insisted they knew nothing about his crooked schemes and were both cleared of money laundering, but a third lover Ornela Miguel, 26, admitted the offence. Uzoma-Ubani and fellow Nigerian Leonard Nwannenah, 33, of Dagenham, Essex, opened a ‘bewildering’ 752 bank accounts using the names of hard-working medics and members of the armed forces over a six-year period.

The pair were jailed Monday for six years each while Miguel was handed a three-month sentence, suspended for 12 months.

Nwannenah’s younger brother Okechi Nwannenah, 30,
of Dagenham and Okechi’s wife Jennifer Okonkwo, 29, also allowed their bank accounts to be used to launder the proceeds.

http://naijatalkshow..com/2012/03/nigerian-fraudster-opened-752-bank.html?amp;+Gossip)
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Or @home : Who's Responsible For The Negative Image ! by dayokanu(m): 3:49pm On Mar 07, 2012
both
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Or @home : Who's Responsible For The Negative Image ! by otiigba1(m): 4:30pm On Mar 07, 2012
wink wink wink wink ;d ;d ;d ;d
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Or @home : Who's Responsible For The Negative Image ! by nagoma(m): 4:50pm On Mar 07, 2012
Everytime you're cheated and you do not receive justice
Everytime you get home and there's no light or water
Everytime the corporate big wigs try to get the better of you with their excessive charges
Everytime you have to wait on endless queues to buy something you need with your own money
Everytime you're robbed or in an emergency and there's no number to call
Eveytime you look at the disabled and the homeless
Everytime there's an election and it's rigged
Everytime there's a contract placed on the pages of the newspapers and you know it's only been done for show
Everytime you count the number of unemployed and the dreams that have died
Everytime you see the number of failed businesses
Everytime you see an unsolved murder.
This is 2012. My country has failed me.
I look at developed countries and see what they have. How their Government pays attention to them , how their votes count and how those who do not have work can live off benefits.
And many in Nigeria suffer for the sins of a few. Is this really a situation one should defend by not talking about it in the open? As some would say, the first step to solving a problem is identifying that you have one
Who's fooling who?

Qll you said was true and  I sympatise with you. I know all these because I live in Nigeria but I consider you as lacking in courage and determination ,rther than give your best you ,like others just run away. We will call you when the fight is over, but we shall never leave. We win or die fighting, thats why we are born here.
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Or @home : Who's Responsible For The Negative Image ! by saska1122: 12:57am On Mar 08, 2012
This what we know best how to do; Blame game!!
The poor blames the rich for their misfortune,
The igbos blame yorubas n vice versa.
Those living in Nigeria think it is the Diaspora even as they visit various embassies for visa
or depend on those outside in 1 way or the other.
In the present day and age, we are all corrupt. Go to offices closest to U, and ask for a file.
How many Nigerians are in Diaspora and how many are convicted yearly as opposed to those
at home who kill, steal and do all sort of evil yet we celebrate them either because we share the
loot or they are from our tribes.
Until we reason and argue objectively, we'll get there (Implosion) faster than predicted.
Diasporans may have attitudinal problems where they are, but we suck as a country here at home.
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Or @home : Who's Responsible For The Negative Image ! by cfours: 1:23am On Mar 08, 2012
mostly nigerians at home.
ex. yahooze scams, niger delta problems, boko haram problems etc

nigerians abroad are not plenty enough to affect the country's image that much. although they are just as troublesome.
for example, most foreigners can't even tell a Nigerian from a Liberian when they meet one.

(1) (Reply)

Obasanjo And Son Roasting Chicken (picture) / Nnamdi Kanu: Copy Of The Petition Written By The British Mp, Harriet Harman / Eid Eil Maulud Celebration In Kontagora

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.