Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,784 members, 7,802,430 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:17 PM

Yoruba/oodua - Consolidating And Naming Our Commonwealth - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yoruba/oodua - Consolidating And Naming Our Commonwealth (1036 Views)

Fayose Attends Naming Ceremony At Iworoko (photos) / The Actual Magnitude Of Diezani's Theft Of Our Commonwealth / Sacking Mourinho And Naming Ministers, Which Is More Important? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yoruba/oodua - Consolidating And Naming Our Commonwealth by DuduNegro: 2:03pm On Mar 07, 2012
To all Yorubas,

A collaborative work has been initiated to outline a transformative path forward for the development of our land and our people. What exactly do I mean by land?  This usage carries a political meaning for me.  Unlike many other race group in Africa, we are uniquely blessed and endowed with a resilient culture.

In the face of imperial hegemony, ethnic wars and divisions, slavery, colonial partitions and divisions into discrete sovereignties and languages, religious invasion by multiple ideaologies and different philosophical teachings, our "YORUBANESS" has responded with strong elasticity. Our culture and custom absorbed what was impressed on it and modulated that impression, presenting it as a new a social value, while yet latched tenaciously to the indigenous customs.  Many other races that faced these same challenges were not so lucky, much of their political consciousness from two centuries ago are completely lost. 

We have been told by our leaders that, under sovereign rights, they intend this transformative roadmap they are working on to be separate and applicable only to Yorubas in Nigeria, as opposed to Yoruba race across the borders or universally across the globe.  A roadmap for the global Yoruba race is under the stewardship of the Ooni of Ife, as the Spiritual Head of the race.  The one for Yorubas in Nigeria is under the stewardship of the Yoruba Governors in Nigeria. The "land" I am referring, thereforere, is our political commonwealth in Nigeria; the unity and common bond of all Yorubas who identify and recognize their land as a domain of Yoruba race.

In past histories, we were commonly branded as Ife Empire, Oyo Empire, then as Oyo faced threats from internal rebellions, some of which resulted in wars and from which new states and social class rulers emerged. . . Egba, Ijesha, Ijebu, Ilorin, Ibadan, Awori, and so on,  .   The states drew new treaties and accords and recombined as a commonwealth.  In the age of provincial government most retained their name as the administrative identity. After that the domain was again partitioned into political boundaries, Lagos, Ogun, Oyo, Ondo, Kwara, Niger, and so on. . .   Today, our political commonwealth is distributed into two geo-political zones - West and North. 

I know that it is common nowadays to hear people refer to us as SW.  Somehow, we participate in that identity but we should not.  If we are SW, then who is West?  West should be our primary designation when talking about the race and SW is used when talking about events.  So in political talk for example we should say Yoruba people of Western Nigeria.  In describing an event we should say for example, Obasanjo's farm is holding an expo on Agriculture, the farm is located in SW part of Nigeria.   The Hausa has not shifted from its ownership of North, even though there are three areas in it, why are we yielding our ownership of West and calling ourselves SWesterners?  It's a turf game!  If we are SW and Kwara is North, then, our willing participation in that virtual reality distances us and further weaken our ownership of Kwara.  We should be mindful of this and I hope our leaders do too.  If we use West instead of SW, the media will soon catch on and begin to do same. 

Back to talk on Yoruba commonwealth.  So, how should our nation be called?  Yoruba Nation, Oodua Nation? 

I think I prefer Yoruba Nation.  Reason being that there is already a global awareness and intimacy with the "Yoruba" name and identity and its supremacy and antiquities.  Calling this commonwealth a Yoruba Nation gives us continuity and eminence in the global mainstream politics, opposed to Oodua Nation.  Many people of the world have heard and know Yoruba, outside of Africa, few people know Oodua without reading up on him.  On contact, when I say I am Yoruba, I want to create a sense of ease and be welcomed. 

Your thoughts are welcomed, what do you say?   grin
Re: Yoruba/oodua - Consolidating And Naming Our Commonwealth by nduchucks: 5:15pm On Mar 07, 2012
commonwealth ko, common treasonous act ni. You people are well advised to learn how to make the current system you have functional and viable, instead of trying to reinvent the wheel in an act which would ultimately land y'all in jail for treason.
Re: Yoruba/oodua - Consolidating And Naming Our Commonwealth by Afam4eva(m): 5:24pm On Mar 07, 2012
I think the word "Yoruba" is more of a brand than "Odua". People outside Nigeria don't know Odua.
Re: Yoruba/oodua - Consolidating And Naming Our Commonwealth by ekwynwa: 6:23pm On Mar 07, 2012
ndu_chucks:

commonwealth ko, common treasonous act ni. You people are well advised to learn how to make the current system you have functional and viable, instead of trying to reinvent the wheel in[b] an act which would ultimately land y'all in jail for treason.[/b]

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Yoruba/oodua - Consolidating And Naming Our Commonwealth by PointB: 6:52pm On Mar 07, 2012
Commonwealth on paper. Unlike Biafra, you've had no trial run. Anyway, it is not your call. Fall in line!
Re: Yoruba/oodua - Consolidating And Naming Our Commonwealth by Ufeolorun(m): 8:04pm On Mar 07, 2012
Nigeria is already a loose federation its now up to the discerning to know that you don't need to break away to enjoy some form of autonomy while holding on to the  benefits of a big and diverse country.
We already have a country of our own within Nigeria and its failure has been our hand work,i hope these politician take  up their own challenge.
Re: Yoruba/oodua - Consolidating And Naming Our Commonwealth by ekwynwa: 8:31pm On Mar 07, 2012
Dudu_Negro:

A collaborative work has been initiated to outline a transformative path forward for the development of our land and our people.

like this

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-888627.0.html#msg10351971

i dey laugh o grin
Re: Yoruba/oodua - Consolidating And Naming Our Commonwealth by 9jaIhail(m): 8:44pm On Mar 07, 2012
Who hack dudu negro password

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Make sure you vote OBJ as your commonwealth/yoruba nation president.

(1) (Reply)

Road Tolling / Revealed - The Intrigues Behind Obasanjo's Exit / How Come I Have Never Seen A Thread About The History Of Igbos On NL?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.