Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,464 members, 7,808,645 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:49 PM

A Way Forward For The Field Of Computer Science In Nigeria - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / A Way Forward For The Field Of Computer Science In Nigeria (17787 Views)

Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? / Best Uni For Bsc. Computer Science In Nigeria / [Opinion] B.sc Computer Science In Nigeria? poo! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Way Forward For The Field Of Computer Science In Nigeria by prodam(m): 7:36am On Mar 08, 2012
Hi guys, everyday we talk about problems peculiar to the field of computer science in Nigeria. most people who never attended a university or any higher institution tend to be more exposed and refuse to bow to the graduates. This is not because of pride but a pest that seems to be decaying the field of computers science. This pest is nothing but the syllabus of computer science in most of our higher institutions.

Guys, what could be the solution that in a period of 5 years to this time, there would be a significant and evident change. A vision of a time when a computer science would not be a poo!!!
Re: A Way Forward For The Field Of Computer Science In Nigeria by Thatdave(m): 8:59am On Mar 08, 2012
sack all your lecturers
conduct a fresh programming language based interview
and recruit younger lecturers.
Reduce the courses to 2 per year.
Remove english and maths permanently.
In 5 years, you'll see the result.
Without that, bro, computer science department is an expensive joke : D
Re: A Way Forward For The Field Of Computer Science In Nigeria by delomos(m): 8:03pm On Mar 08, 2012
I like this thread already and I'm looking forward to people's contribution. If I where to choose only one point, I will say:
> Revise the curriculum and seduce investors.
Re: A Way Forward For The Field Of Computer Science In Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 9:02pm On Mar 08, 2012
While the whole world is realizing now that it makes sense to bow to the graduates, Nigerian companies are not? Or they are simply opting for graduates from other countries where the education system and curriculum is much more established? undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: A Way Forward For The Field Of Computer Science In Nigeria by prodam(m): 9:27pm On Mar 08, 2012
Thatdave:

sack all your lecturers

removing mathematics or any part of it would not bring any good i guess,
its d bedrock of computing

1 Like

Re: A Way Forward For The Field Of Computer Science In Nigeria by janita: 10:21am On Mar 09, 2012
change d course outline for each semester and particularly remove all those outdated courses such as basic,fortran 77,cobol,etc and replace with professionally challenged courses such as oracle,it auditing,it innovation,it and project management,etc. with dis i blive we will get somewhere,

1 Like

Re: A Way Forward For The Field Of Computer Science In Nigeria by ArQueBusieR(m): 10:28am On Mar 09, 2012
lol. . . Now I don't regret not studying Computer Science as I program better than most Computer Science undergrads -and I'm only so good.- Something has to be done to stop the rot.
Re: A Way Forward For The Field Of Computer Science In Nigeria by Dsage1: 10:44am On Mar 09, 2012
Wat do u pple expect from d graduate of department/faculty dat do little or no practical.
Re: A Way Forward For The Field Of Computer Science In Nigeria by AZeD1(m): 10:49am On Mar 09, 2012
1)Revise the curriculum
2)Get good lectures(a lecturer teaching programming should be able to program VERY VERY WELL)
Re: A Way Forward For The Field Of Computer Science In Nigeria by Afam4eva(m): 10:57am On Mar 09, 2012
Thatdave:

sack all your lecturers

God bless you for this. I don't see why we should still have computer science lecturers who have 1980s knowledge of computers. They should all be shown the way out and give way for younger lecturers. Infact, lecturers from IT schools like NIIT, Aptech, Karox are wayy better than this COBOL and PASCAL experts.
Re: A Way Forward For The Field Of Computer Science In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:01am On Mar 09, 2012
We cannot change course content without changing or developing course lecturers. It is what they have that they can give. I could remember one of our lecturers on Artificial Intelligence, who would always refer us to the internet for better understanding -he spends the shortest time in class lecturing/gisting. He had little to offer!

What bailed me out was, the opportunity i had to do my IT in a terrific software company, where you develop applications from the scratch -requirement gathering, data modeling -using UML and E-R diagrams etc,

we need lecturers who are equally 'updated' in the technological changes. Maybe, employment of 'infectious' programmers as Assistant Lecturers/ lecturers into the department would do much good. Lol at those oldie programming languages such as cobol, q-basic!! When .NET studios etc have alot of languages to offer wink

We need a total overhauling, really. cheesy 
Re: A Way Forward For The Field Of Computer Science In Nigeria by Godmann(m): 11:14am On Mar 09, 2012
The problem with computer science as a course in Nigeria is a manifestation of the Problem with Nigeria. Appointing incompetent Lecturers based on political and tribal patronage. The answer is to kill corruption so that our best can emerge.

So long as we as a people do not encourage meritocracy in all we do, nothing will work.

ArQueBusieR:

lol. . . Now I don't regret not studying Computer Science as I program better than most Computer Science undergrads -and I'm only so good.- Something has to be done to stop the rot.

I bet you, you deeply regret it. In so far as the way the course is being handled in Nigeria is bad, I find it difficult to see how you can be a good programmer that can think out good algorithm without taking some formal courses like Algorithm, compiler construction, Numerical analysis, etc as a course. These are the foundation upon which a good program is built on.

True the lecturers offered nothing, but mere mentioning of the courses spurred some to read up as much as they can which are not entirely useless. Let me see some of you work, and I bet you they are cut and patch progams. Thank God that is the best we can offer in our nation Nigeris; people like you can claim champions where they are not supposed to.

I want to know why you did not read Computer Science as a course? probably you failed JAMB?

I am a proud, BSC Computer Science (UNN), MSC Advanced Computing (Glasgow) guy. Computer Science is the best that happened to me as a person. Even in solving day to day issues, the course opened my mind.

Think about the flow of logic and reasoning, Think about Scheduling, think about memory and time trade off, think about modules and sub programs and they are tied together, think about classes and object of OOP; you are thinking about daily life.

Few other courses would have offered those knowledge guy.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Way Forward For The Field Of Computer Science In Nigeria by purplekayc(m): 11:15am On Mar 09, 2012
We just need good lecturers that's all most of which arr not good right now , and the schools need upgraded and up to date computers and the curriculum should be changed, We should stop cramming and try to understand instead,
Re: A Way Forward For The Field Of Computer Science In Nigeria by trustidkid: 11:17am On Mar 09, 2012
how do expect to get good result from computer science student when the so called lecturers are not much interested or have less knowledge about the current evolution in the IT world.

Solutions:
- remove all non-IT related courses especially those with little or no contributing benefits on the student
- The likes of COBOL, Fortran, BASIC should scrap they can be mentioned from another programing courses
- Employ a core programmer to lecture
- Establish relationship with top IT companies in the country to engage some selected students in their projects
- Each student shud encouraged to take up a challenging project right from 2nd year of the program
- provide a very conducive learning environment e-library to source for latest technology
- Sends lecturer on periodical training within and outside the country to widen their experience
- and so on.

i think if all these is closely monitored by Government and all private institution offering a course in computer science, Nigeria computer scientist would  be better position to their counterpart in the world.
Re: A Way Forward For The Field Of Computer Science In Nigeria by mcchegzy(m): 11:22am On Mar 09, 2012
this a country whr a lecturer can take upto 5 unrelated specialized courses, we nid a total overhaul of out educational system
Re: A Way Forward For The Field Of Computer Science In Nigeria by dlion: 11:23am On Mar 09, 2012
Employ people with professional certifications and industry experience as lecturers. Woo them with fat pay and stop making msc or Phd as the basic qualification for lecturing. Enforce practical teaching in our schools and ensure that each student does his assignment by himself through thorough supervision. Also equip the libraries with modern books. There will be changes.
Re: A Way Forward For The Field Of Computer Science In Nigeria by omoredia: 11:31am On Mar 09, 2012
Get updates on current phones, laptops, computers, tablets etc and save money and time. Follow @israelomoredia for latest info! Weekly updates!
Re: A Way Forward For The Field Of Computer Science In Nigeria by NL1960: 11:45am On Mar 09, 2012
Godman_n:

The problem with computer science as a course in Nigeria is a manifestation of the Problem with Nigeria. Appointing incompetent Lecturers based on political and tribal patronage. The answer is to kill corruption so that our best can emerge.

So long as we as a people do not encourage meritocracy in all we do, nothing will work.

I bet you, you deeply regret it. In so far as the way the course is being handled in Nigeria is bad, I find it difficult to see how you can be a good programmer that can think out good algorithm without taking some formal courses like Algorithm, compiler construction, Numerical analysis, etc as a course. These are the foundation upon which a good program is built on.

True the lecturers offered nothing, but mere mentioning of the courses spurred some to read up as much as they can which are not entirely useless. Let me see some of you work, and I bet you they are cut and patch progams. Thank God that is the best we can offer in our nation Nigeris; people like you can claim champions where they are not supposed to.

I want to know why you did not read Computer Science as a course? probably you failed JAMB?

I am a proud, BSC Computer Science (UNN), MSC Advanced Computing (Glasgow) guy. Computer Science is the best that happened to me as a person. Even in solving day to day issues, the course opened my mind.

Think about the flow of logic and reasoning, Think about Scheduling, think about memory and time trade off, think about modules and sub programs and they are tied together, think about classes and object of OOP; you are thinking about daily life.

Good points. All these Aptech and NIIT programmers think programming is the same thing as computing. Most of them do not know the foundation of computing because they are not taught in these Aptech and NIIT mushroom schools. Just tell them to solve a problem of analysing and designing and you will see them lost but do all the work and tell them to code, they will code. That is why they find it difficult rising above their programming level and if they are fortunate to leave programming to desiging, they design bad systems. Programming is not the same as Software development. I once told an Appech/NIIT staff to do a job but he was lost but when i gave it to a Computer science graduate to do, the guy just applied the principles of Queueing theory (Stacks and Queues) that he was taught in school to solve the problem. The fact that a bricklayer can lay blocks does not mean that he is now an Engineer. Did such a bricklayer know what is 'Strength of materials and its applications'?. Check tables created by these so-called Aptech/NIIT programmers who think they are gurus, you will be suprised that they do not know simple database principles or data structures principles not to talk of 'normalization'.

2 Likes

Re: A Way Forward For The Field Of Computer Science In Nigeria by Beaf: 12:05pm On Mar 09, 2012
prodam:

Hi guys, everyday we talk about problems peculiar to the field of computer science in Nigeria. most people who never attended a university or any higher institution tend to be more exposed and refuse to bow for the graduates. this is not because of pride but a pest that seems to be decaying the field of computers science. this pest is nothing but the syllabus of computer science in most of higher institutions.

guys, what could be the solution that in a period of 5 years to this time, there would be a significant and evident change. A vision of a time when a computer science would not be a poo!!!

In any subject or area of life, education is merely a structured way to help the less talented.
Anybody who has been able to pick up the practical aspects of computer science and run with it IS a naturally talented person who does not need education in that field. It is also the reason they tend to be better than those who need to study computer science.

Take note also, that all fields of computing tend to be practical and results tend to be quite easy to measure.

Bill Gates did not study computer science, but not many in this World can rival his code. For a long period at Microsoft, all critical code had to pass through Bill Gates eyes. As I said earlier, its a practical field and Bill Gates results can be easily measured; what does your PC run? Windows? grin
Re: A Way Forward For The Field Of Computer Science In Nigeria by UkEmmaxin(m): 12:25pm On Mar 09, 2012
Godman_n

Thank you for your good encouragement.
You see some people have that zee in them for discouraging the upcoming student with their fat ignorance.
On like me who is looking for an admission to study computer science when I saw this Blasé comment he made, I was panic.

Thank so much.
Re: A Way Forward For The Field Of Computer Science In Nigeria by GWslim(f): 12:29pm On Mar 09, 2012
Some the so called computer professor cannot write program to solve basic computation talk less of simple mathematics equation.
Re: A Way Forward For The Field Of Computer Science In Nigeria by Guardian(m): 12:29pm On Mar 09, 2012
    Revise the curriculum to model what the Indians have in their Tech schools
    Sack all lecturers unable to measure up to 21st century know-how of ICT
    Conduct fresh recruitment with an eye for younger,  technology savvy lecturers with keen interest in research and innovation
    Keep the course at 4 yrs. Dedicate 1 year to field exposure,  internship, cross university/foreign programmes e.g in MIT
    Introduce industry standard certification courses in Last year e.g  ITIL, Project management, Network +,  CWNE, SAP,
   Partner with Technology Drivers to invest and consumers
    Keep English and enforce Maths for designs and logic application.

Without this, studying Computer Science in Nigeria is a Joke
Re: A Way Forward For The Field Of Computer Science In Nigeria by limitbreka: 12:32pm On Mar 09, 2012
Computer Science 101. The best course for the IT world, take it or leave it.
Re: A Way Forward For The Field Of Computer Science In Nigeria by Muttex(m): 12:38pm On Mar 09, 2012
This is very interesting. The knowledge most you guyz have nowadays, the professors in computer science dont have them. Many of them dnt knw what is cisco,oracle,java,ITIL,MCITP and the rest. all they know is cobol, pascal,fortran,BASICs,Fowchart, They should send them all for training and come down to the computer village for more training, bullshit.
Re: A Way Forward For The Field Of Computer Science In Nigeria by kpolli(m): 1:56pm On Mar 09, 2012
Thatdave:

sack all your lecturers

I agree with all but the highlighted, u don't want programmers who can't spell nor calculate
Re: A Way Forward For The Field Of Computer Science In Nigeria by blacksta(m): 2:06pm On Mar 09, 2012
Education in Nigeria needs a total overhaul , as computer science is a up shoot of this , i wont expect much
Re: A Way Forward For The Field Of Computer Science In Nigeria by monex(m): 2:28pm On Mar 09, 2012
NL1960:

Good points. All these Aptech and NIIT programmers think programming is the same thing as computing. Most of them do not know the foundation of computing because they are not taught in these Aptech and NIIT mushroom schools. Just tell them to solve a problem of analysing and designing and you will see them lost but do all the work and tell them to code, they will code. That is why they find it difficult rising above their programming level and if they are fortunate to leave programming to desiging, they design bad systems. Programming is not the same as Software development. I once told an Appech/NIIT staff to do a job but he was lost but when i gave it to a Computer science graduate to do, the guy just applied the principles of Queueing theory (Stacks and Queues) that he was taught in school to solve the problem. The fact that a bricklayer can lay blocks does not mean that he is now an Engineer. Did such a bricklayer know what is 'Strength of materials and its applications'?. Check tables created by these so-called Aptech/NIIT programmers who think they are gurus, you will be suprised that they do not know simple database principles or data structures principles not to talk of 'normalization'.

good post

afam4eva:

God bless you for this. I don't see why we should still have computer science lecturers who have 1980s knowledge of computers. They should all be shown the way out and give way for younger lecturers. Infact, lecturers from IT schools like NIIT, Aptech, Karox are wayy better than this COBOL and PASCAL experts.

those i have met are not very clever. they dont think beyond php and .net

Muttex:

This is very interesting. The knowledge most you guyz have nowadays, the professors in computer science dont have them. Many of them dnt knw what is cisco,oracle,java,ITIL,MCITP and the rest. all they know is cobol, pascal,fortran,BASICs,Fowchart, They should send them all for training and come down to the computer village for more training, bullshit.

wetin concern computer science professor with MCITP n ITIL. very funny wat does it take to have MCITP.

Godman_n:

best post so far

truth is Computer science is not programming or IT. it is the study of the theories underlying computations and the practical application of those theories. forget all those aptech NIIT programmers o. Computer Science is serious work.
Re: A Way Forward For The Field Of Computer Science In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:31pm On Mar 09, 2012
Employ foreign lecturers who are very good in computer sciences. There are very few competent Nigerian lecturers in those field.
Re: A Way Forward For The Field Of Computer Science In Nigeria by luckarub(m): 3:48pm On Mar 09, 2012
I think we should be very happy that everybody is coming to terms with Computer literacy. All I would suggest is for those that went to study it at the Universities should find ways to go further than what was studied, in that regard we would have guys doing some Artificial Intelligence stuff which can not be acquired on the streets.

There was a time in my career that I was organizing Computer classes just to educate Nigerians and now i should be delighted about this development.
Re: A Way Forward For The Field Of Computer Science In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:08pm On Mar 09, 2012
Re: A Way Forward For The Field Of Computer Science In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:20pm On Mar 09, 2012
I quite agree with Beaf to some extent but computer sciences have gone beyond mere programming to advance engineering that the latter requires a were taught person in university to incorporate things for better functionality and services.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Which Among These Digital Skills Is More Profitable To Learn / A Thread On My Experiment With Reinforcement Learning & Artificial Intelligence. / .NET C#/VB.NET Project in the Pipeline for Programmers who may be interested

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.