Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,180 members, 7,807,575 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:29 PM

A Way Forward For The Field Of Computer Science In Nigeria - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / A Way Forward For The Field Of Computer Science In Nigeria (17785 Views)

Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? / Best Uni For Bsc. Computer Science In Nigeria / [Opinion] B.sc Computer Science In Nigeria? poo! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Way Forward For The Field Of Computer Science In Nigeria by NL1960: 4:42pm On Mar 09, 2012
greateros:

Neither did steve jobs yet he best the best. You said it all beaf!

Seems you are trying very hard to tell yourself you did not waste a whole 4 years studying a course that some one else did under 8 months!

Let me remind you that some bricklayers end up better designers and builders than theso called architect and engineers and they are even cheaper!

Based on the current computer science curricula in Nigerian universities, you hav every reason to panic and i will advice you to think twice before you go waste your time studying computer science under a prof that doesn't know what modern computing is all about! the choice is yours.

I have no regret. I have come in contact with several of those that did 8 months and those that did 4 years. I have interviewed both and both are working for me. When i want a cheap programmer to just code what has been designed, i call on the cheap 8 months guy and when some analysis and designing are to be done, i call on the 4 years expert guy who knows data structures, databases, compiler construction, SDLC (software development life cycle) etc and how to combine all these to get a good and stable system. Every language in computing has an underlying compiler. You think it is incantation that coverts the raw code to an interpreted code. All these tools (php, etc ) have already been designed and structured by the 4 years guy. Very soon, you will also tell me that a clarical staff who dispenses drugs in the clinic is now a Doctor.

When you want to build your house in a place like lekki, go and get a cheap bricklayer to do it for you from foundation to finishing. No wonder houses are collapsing all over the place. It is people like you that will tell the bricklayer to just 'use leg to draw teh foundation and start digging' saying 'house na house'.

2 Likes

Re: A Way Forward For The Field Of Computer Science In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:04pm On Mar 09, 2012
^^^^
Nothing is wrong with 4 years just that in the Nigerian system it is blow expectations. You should be surprised to see a graduate without understanding of algorithm and of structural approach to solving problems. Indeed, you are taking this issue too personal. There are no equipped / qualified hands in Nigerian universities to do the training. You would be so surprised to see only few graduates can actually attempt problem solving in computer science.
Re: A Way Forward For The Field Of Computer Science In Nigeria by NL1960: 5:25pm On Mar 09, 2012
all4naija:

^^^^
Nothing is wrong with 4 years just that in the Nigerian system it is blow expectations. You should be surprised to see a graduate without understanding of algorithm and of structural approach to solving problems. Indeed, you are taking this issue too personal. There are no equipped / qualified hands in Nigerian universities to do the training. You would be so surprised to see only few graduates can actually attempt problem solving in computer science.

Iam not taking it too personal. I was just responding to a comment. I have come across a graduate of computer science that does not know what he/she did in school. I have interviewed somebody who after 3 months of graduation does not know what he did in his/her project. I have equally come across a computer science graduate that knows very much. I have equally seen Aptech/NIIT graduates that falls into the two categories. What iam trying to bring out is that computing is not about programming. I always tell people programming is an art while computing is a science. I once told somebody that iam not good in the use of excel sheet and he started laughing that how can a computer science graduate not be a guru in the use of excel but i told him that i know the logic behind its design and that they must have used pointers in the design. An Aptech/NIIT will not know what is pointers and its usages. Anybody that knows compiler construction which i consider the heart of computing can come up with his/her programming language. You think the writers of PHP, Java and other languages brought it from their mother's womb. I can decide to come with a language that uses '[' to group statements as opposed to Java that uses '{' or those that use '.'. If you use something that is not in my compiler code, i give you a syntax error straight away. That is why it is a language. You have to learn the language and anybody can learn a language and use it. I can learn yoruba and start speaking it. I can equally learn Igbo and speak. If i tell an old man 'good morning' using the wrong word, the old man will tell me 'syntax error' and tell me to go and learn the correct usage. The old is acting as a compiler.

1 Like

Re: A Way Forward For The Field Of Computer Science In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:29pm On Mar 09, 2012
Re: A Way Forward For The Field Of Computer Science In Nigeria by Afam4eva(m): 5:31pm On Mar 09, 2012
NL1960:

Iam not taking it too personal. I was just responding to a comment. I have come across a graduate of computer science that does not know what he/she did in school. I have interviewed somebody who after 3 months of graduation does not know what he did in his/her project. I have equally come across a computer science graduate that knows very much. I have equally seen Aptech/NIIT graduates that falls into the two categories. What iam trying to bring out is that computing is not about programming. I always tell people programming is an art while computing is a science. I once told somebody that iam not good in the use of excel sheet and he started laughing that how can a computer science graduate not be a guru in the use of excel but i told him that i know the logic behind its design and that they must have used pointers in the design. An Aptech/NIIT will not know what is pointers and its usages. Anybody that knows compiler construction which i consider the heart of computing can come up with his/her programming language. You think the writers of PHP, Java and other languages brought it from their mother's womb. I can decide to come with a language that uses '[' to group statements as opposed to Java that uses '{' or those that use '.'. If you use something that is not in my compiler code, i give you a syntax error straight away. That is why it is a language. You have to learn the language and anybody can learn a language and use it. I can learn yoruba and start speaking it. I can equally learn Igbo and speak. If i tell an old man 'good morning' using the wrong word, the old man will tell me 'syntax error' and tell me to go and learn the correct usage. The old is acting as a compiler.

I think you're going off tangent. Everyone knows a 4 year guy is better than an 8 months programmer but definitely not in Nigeria. The Nigerian computer science department is a disgrace to both the sciences and IT in general. How many computer science graduates can write "hello world" with java or ASP? I'll go for the 8 months guys over the comp science graduate ten times over.
Re: A Way Forward For The Field Of Computer Science In Nigeria by NL1960: 5:38pm On Mar 09, 2012
greateros:

Sir, pls don't get me wrong. My point is, its far better doing 8 months professional course in "mushroom Aptec/NIIT" than wasting 4 years studying computer science under a prof that  is not in tune with modern computing. Besides sir, are you saying its only 4 years graduates that "knows data structures, databases, compiler construction, SDLC (software development life cycle) etc and how to combine all these to get a good and stable system"?? shocked shocked
permit me to say u r not in tune with trends in modern computing ! embarassed embarassed

I don't really understand why you are so anxious to prove that one must be a graduate in computer science before becoming an expert in the field - yet practical example says otherwise! Just like beaf pointed out, sometimes its a gift [Steve jobs and bill gates comes to mind]!

LWKMD grin grin

Yea. Sometimes it is a gift and such gifted people are not many.
Re: A Way Forward For The Field Of Computer Science In Nigeria by NL1960: 5:50pm On Mar 09, 2012
afam4eva:

I think you're going off tangent. Everyone knows a 4 year guy is better than an 8 months programmer but definitely not in Nigeria. The Nigerian computer science department is a disgrace to both the sciences and IT in general. How many computer science graduates can  write "hello world" with java or ASP? I'll go for the 8 months guys over the comp science graduate ten times over.

Hahahahaa. So ability to write 'hello world' in java is now a measure of a good programmer?. I do not know how to write 'hello world'. For your information, Java is a language. 'Hello World' can be written in any language. When you see it being displayed, you will not know if it is written in Java or not. People just think that ability to write a program in java that was taught in an Aptech/NIIT school has made the person a guru in computing.

For your information, 8 months in an Aptech/NIIT school is too short to know computing. There was a time in this country that a Presidential Apsirant said that if voted as President, he will produce 10 times the present number of Engineers in two (2) years. Iam sure you are thinking like such a person. A doctor/lawyer/pilot etc can also be produced in 8 months. I know quite well that the computer science departments in our universities are in shambles but is it not only the computer science departments?. The entire educational sector is in shambles. my firm just recuited an Aptech/NIIT graduate. What was he doing before we recuited him?. He was lecturing and teaching from the same place he finished and he was using the same notes that he was taught with to teach. So you see, it is the same problem. Programing is not computing.
Re: A Way Forward For The Field Of Computer Science In Nigeria by Mobinga: 6:54pm On Mar 09, 2012
Godman_n:

The problem with computer science as a course in Nigeria is a manifestation of the Problem with Nigeria. Appointing incompetent Lecturers based on political and tribal patronage. The answer is to kill corruption so that our best can emerge.

So long as we as a people do not encourage meritocracy in all we do, nothing will work.

I bet you, you deeply regret it. In so far as the way the course is being handled in Nigeria is bad, I find it difficult to see how you can be a good programmer that can think out good algorithm without taking some formal courses like Algorithm, compiler construction, Numerical analysis, etc as a course. These are the foundation upon which a good program is built on.

True the lecturers offered nothing, but mere mentioning of the courses spurred some to read up as much as they can which are not entirely useless. Let me see some of you work, and I bet you they are cut and patch progams. Thank God that is the best we can offer in our nation Nigeris; people like you can claim champions where they are not supposed to.

I want to know why you did not read Computer Science as a course? probably you failed JAMB?

I am a proud, BSC Computer Science (UNN), MSC Advanced Computing (Glasgow) guy. Computer Science is the best that happened to me as a person. Even in solving day to day issues, the course opened my mind.

Think about the flow of logic and reasoning, Think about Scheduling, think about memory and time trade off, think about modules and sub programs and they are tied together, think about classes and object of OOP; you are thinking about daily life.

Few other courses would have offered those knowledge guy.

Re: A Way Forward For The Field Of Computer Science In Nigeria by Michealeni: 8:38pm On Mar 09, 2012
All great graduate of computer science in the house please can you tell me the companies i can do my siwes training in lagos. Am looking for place that i can realy learn something good, thanks
Re: A Way Forward For The Field Of Computer Science In Nigeria by newmaonza: 9:43pm On Mar 09, 2012
Thanks a lot for this thread.

FIRST AND FOREMOST ALL YOU NIIT, APTECh, MCSE, WEB DEVELOPMENT ,PHP, GUYS SHOULD JUST SHUT YOUR LOUD MOUTHS, YOU ARE ALL QUARKS PLEASE READ THE HEADING ITZ COMPUTER SCIENCE NOT SERVICING HARDWARE OR SOFTWARE "PROGRAMMES",

I think the way fore-ward is for the GOVERNMENT OF NIGERIA to pursue a Policy of using only IDEAS developed in NIGERIA to solve our problems, Lets stop IMPORTING finished solutions into the country,
Nigeria is populated by Computer Scientist, Physicist,Engineers, Doctors,Pharmacist, Economist, etal but can't Practice because We Nigerians are not the one developing the solutions to Our problems.

IF the Government does not pursue a POLICY OF FORCING "LOCALLY DEVELOPED SOLUTIONs (SOFT-WARE)" on COMPANIES Operating in Nigeria, THE SORRY STATE GOES ON.
Re: A Way Forward For The Field Of Computer Science In Nigeria by greenmouse(m): 12:12am On Mar 10, 2012
Am a computer science graduate, am doing very well in my field.

The main reason is that most of our graduates in this fields end up in banks and other companies thus having no opportunity to impact this knowledge to others.

I owe a big IT firm in Lagos(http://www.greenmousetech.com/), it takes time to perfect on this vast field, but our graduates are not always patient to learn enough before jumping into paid jobs outside their fields.

I also believe we the young professionals should take what we know to higher institutions such as am doing in five universities now.

Lets not complain but lets help them out.

Read my interview with Vanguard newspapers: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/11/ict-skill-acquisition-key-to-career-breakthrough-victor-nwadinobi/.

Lets salvage this shameful situation now before its too late.
Re: A Way Forward For The Field Of Computer Science In Nigeria by delomos(m): 12:53am On Mar 10, 2012
greenmouse:

Read my interview with Vanguard newspapers: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/11/ict-skill-acquisition-key-to-career-breakthrough-victor-nwadinobi/.

** Applauds***
Re: A Way Forward For The Field Of Computer Science In Nigeria by sayusuf(m): 1:52am On Mar 10, 2012
computer science involve both theory and practical, beside modernising the theory part to reflect current situations, and future ones, computer science lecturers must be professionally certified in the field they teach. Eg database lecturer must be oracle certified, networking lecturer must be ccna,ccnp certified, etc.
New curriculum must also be introduce to reflect the current trend in ict world.
Re: A Way Forward For The Field Of Computer Science In Nigeria by henryskywalker2003(m): 2:17am On Mar 10, 2012
Ehmmm, Just a side note sha. For those calling Bill Gates one of the greatest coders eva, I think you guys must have lost it. Why? Take a look at each iteration of the Windows OS, even with it being proprietory and all (closed source), it is the most easily penetratable, so bad that the company sets out a day every week, called "patch tuesdays" just too patch up system flaws that ends up being penetrated again before the week runs out.
Now, take a look at Linus Torvalds that designed the Linux OS when he was just a student and compare the two works. I know you guys will start shouting about it being Open Source and many people working on it, but the same goes for Windows. Or were you thinking that it's Bill Gates that codes the entire thing? If that's not ok with you, then compare the first windows and the first linux and tell me which is better and a more solid os. My point? There are lots of things about computing that a graduate can always do better than someone that learnt just a few aspects of it. Give them the credit, they spent 4years learning everything there is to know about the danm machine. In fact if you ask me, BASIC, COBOL, FORTRAN etc shouldn't be scrapped cos any body that has a good understanding of the above can easily learn java, asp, .net etc far easily than someone that started with java. Those are the basics and if you know them, you can even bring in some concepts to from them into the new one you are learning. Check out any good university curriculum abroad, they still teach those languages, heck, they even expose them to UNIX and other ancient OS so as to have a solid understanding of the basics.
Re: A Way Forward For The Field Of Computer Science In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:38am On Mar 10, 2012
I agree, the 'older' lingo's should stay, while the min. of edu. should cultivate some sort of friendship, anything, with the Indians.
_
I took a class at MIT, then took the same class in UNN, I was 'bout to shoot myself during the latter.
Re: A Way Forward For The Field Of Computer Science In Nigeria by NL1960: 1:33pm On Mar 10, 2012
henryskywalker2003:

Ehmmm, Just a side note sha. For those calling Bill Gates one of the greatest coders eva, I think you guys must have lost it. Why? Take a look at each iteration of the Windows OS, even with it being proprietory and all (closed source), it is the most easily penetratable, so bad that the company sets out a day every week, called "patch tuesdays" just too patch up system flaws that ends up being penetrated again before the week runs out.
Now, take a look at Linus Torvalds that designed the Linux OS when he was just a student and compare the two works. I know you guys will start shouting about it being Open Source and many people working on it, but the same goes for Windows. Or were you thinking that it's Bill Gates that codes the entire thing? If that's not ok with you, then compare the first windows and the first linux and tell me which is better and a more solid os. My point? There are lots of things about computing that a graduate can always do better than someone that learnt just a few aspects of it. Give them the credit, they spent 4years learning everything there is to know about the danm machine. In fact if you ask me, BASIC, COBOL, FORTRAN etc shouldn't be scrapped cos any body that has a good understanding of the above can easily learn java, asp, .net etc far easily than someone that started with java. Those are the basics and if you know them, you can even bring in some concepts to from them into the new one you are learning. Check out any good university curriculum abroad, they still teach those languages, heck, they even expose them to UNIX and other ancient OS so as to have a solid understanding of the basics.

Do not mind those half-baked people whom becuase they could not pass JAMB and then went on to do an 8-month course in Aptech/NIIT where they were only taught java and php now think they are computing gurus. They think java is the heart of computing. The heart of computing is the C language. Java uses C constructs. The compiler of these languages were written in C. Unix is C. It is so unfortunate that these Aptech/NIIT guys are trying to deceive people to fall into the same deep pit they have found themselves. As far as iam concern, Aptech/NIIT are finishing schools and not foundation schools. In India, those that go to Aptech/NIIT are graduate in other fields. You will see graduates in English, finance, commmerce doing Aptech/NIIT because they want to be programmers and from there they can go on to do a master in information science. All these Aptech/NIIT guys making noise here are school certificate holders. Where will school certificate and 8-months Aptech/NIIT get you in the IT career world?. Have they ever seen an advertisement in a top rate company for School certificate plus Aptech/NIIT?. The base for such companies is a degree plus other certificates if any. Can a school certificate plus Aptech/NIIT holder go ahead to do a Masters (M.sc, MBA etc). Anybody that can code basic, fortran and cobol can code any language. Iam sure when Java fades and there is another language called 'Sumatra', these same people will come here and say they are computing gurus because they can code in 'Sumatra'.
Re: A Way Forward For The Field Of Computer Science In Nigeria by blacksta(m): 9:01pm On Mar 10, 2012
Typical Computer science modules in a UK University

Course modules

Year 1

Business environments
Constructing and developing applications
Discrete mathematical analysis
i-Culture
Information analysis
Media, computers and networks
Socio-technical analysis of requirements
Software development for business

Year 2

Systems design techniques
Computing platform technologies
Practical software engineering
Business database systems
Research and development methods
Systematic software development

Year 3

Engineering software
Distributed computer systems
Contemporary Issues
Project

For the above one can easily note that programming is a tiny fraction of the program and is it possible to get a first class without knowing how to write system print hello code.

2 Likes

Re: A Way Forward For The Field Of Computer Science In Nigeria by Ghenghis(m): 7:30am On Mar 11, 2012
Hmm You guys have started this Bill Gates thingy again! The guy went to Harvard and left after 3 years instead of 4, and he has become every dropouts Saint ****bo.

Please GO TO SCHOOL. Also Bill was exceptionally brilliant, he was a true child of computing and lived it every day before he even attended college, hence his exploits unprecedented his schooling which is why he dropped out. He was already a millionaire in school, so he didn't have the dilemma of "no book, no food" facing him (Note poor people don't pay Harvard fees).

Also there were MS Oses before windows chaps (It was called DOS). By the time windows came on the scene Bill had Engineers and Doctors working on the code base. They had outstanding constraints to work with back then. The IC runs were still growing then. I love Linux, but comparing Bill and Torvalds because of Linux and Windows is preposterous (But great engineers, and one an outstanding business man with an understanding of the times ... )

I think the way fore-ward is for the GOVERNMENT OF NIGERIA to pursue a Policy of using only IDEAS developed in NIGERIA to solve our problems, Lets stop IMPORTING finished solutions into the country,
Nigeria is populated by Computer Scientist, Physicist,Engineers, Doctors,Pharmacist, Economist, etal but can't Practice because We Nigerians are not the one developing the solutions to Our problems.

what does this mean ? "I suggest we only give made in Nigeria drugs to diseased and ailing Nigerians, if we can't heal them then they don't deserve to live".
Please, stop looking for handouts, the government has a role to play but you have an even bigger one. Let your work and practice be of exemplary standard. Don't use your first big pay check to buy Honda pilot, employ other programmers, review your last project (including code), register your company, offer customer's a brand that they can trust, My company cannot die :Tell your customers that and see if they won't patronize you.
Re: A Way Forward For The Field Of Computer Science In Nigeria by fitinwell: 1:38pm On Mar 11, 2012
imagine most lecturer, will teach theoretical aspect of qbasic and but will never show you how to write programs on the computer science... most computer labs in tertiary institution are just wasting away..

i was at the ICT .. to lodge my complain in respect of my login to the school portal... the administrator which i guess he his.. ask me to meet wit the head of operation department.. Getting to the office.. the guy was fiddling with google chrome browser not known-in how to address my situation asking me to come back.. later
Re: A Way Forward For The Field Of Computer Science In Nigeria by prodam(m): 8:53pm On Mar 12, 2012
Thanks guys for shedding more light on this issue, I really salute your positivity.

one thing we must understand is that computer science can never be compared to any IT related course done in any IT shools anywhere. computer science comprises of various computing theory and sub-fields within it. some of which are:

Artificial Intelligence
Communications
Computational Biology
Computer Graphics
Computer Modeling
Computer Programming
Computer Science
Distributed Computing
Encryption
Hacking
Information Technology
Internet
Mobile Computing
Photography
Quantum Computers
Robotics
Software
Spintronics
Video Games
Virtual Reality
WiFi

Specialising in any of the above fields indicates the ultimate application of the knowledge of computer science. It is also an undisputable fact that computer science graduates possess the ability of becoming an expert in any field within a short period of time, just like graduates from other courses in their various fields.

thank you. Greatest computer scientist. what we do is transforming theory into concrete substance. understanding the logic and principle behind every single thing. Keep Your Head Up High
Re: A Way Forward For The Field Of Computer Science In Nigeria by kingsilly(m): 12:28am On Mar 13, 2012
Computer science wid IT Programming..nahh..computer science is a course for gurlz(cuz itz lyt)if u want to learn computing hardcore then it haz to be aptech/niit... Thou my computer science are good Wid Visual Basic...hehehe
Nb:career on aptech killz computer sci(2yrz in Naija..b.s.c year in the u.k)wat more can u ask For
Re: A Way Forward For The Field Of Computer Science In Nigeria by kingsilly(m): 12:36am On Mar 13, 2012
NL1960:

Do not mind those half-baked people whom becuase they could not pass JAMB and then went on to do an 8-month course in Aptech/NIIT where they were only taught java and php now think they are computing gurus. They think java is the heart of computing. The heart of computing is the C language. Java uses C constructs. The compiler of these languages were written in C. Unix is C. It is so unfortunate that these Aptech/NIIT guys are trying to deceive people to fall into the same deep pit they have found themselves. As far as iam concern, Aptech/NIIT are finishing schools and not foundation schools. In India, those that go to Aptech/NIIT are graduate in other fields. You will see graduates in English, finance, commmerce doing Aptech/NIIT because they want to be programmers and from there they can go on to do a master in information science. All these Aptech/NIIT guys making noise here are school certificate holders. Where will school certificate and 8-months Aptech/NIIT get you in the IT career world?. Have they ever seen an advertisement in a top rate company for School certificate plus Aptech/NIIT?. The base for such companies is a degree plus other certificates if any. Can a school certificate plus Aptech/NIIT holder go ahead to do a Masters (M.sc, MBA etc). Anybody that can code basic, fortran and cobol can code any language. Iam sure when Java fades and there is another language called 'Sumatra', these same people will come here and say they are computing gurus because they can code in 'Sumatra'.

Guy dont be naive..jamb passing is no longa a prob..even post jamb self is not a prob too..u and i knw y guyz seekz alternative route..(the runs wey u tey enta uni may nt work 4 oda.)
Re: A Way Forward For The Field Of Computer Science In Nigeria by johnbendie(m): 4:49am On Mar 13, 2012
henryskywalker2003(m):

+ 1 for henryskywalker2003 for a clear view. Just to add a little note.
Both the Universities and Aptech and the likes of it are all important to the computer ecosystem, and both need to be improved upon in many ways. But alas, how do we go about it?

Above all these limitation what matters is the willingness and motivation of the computer practitioner to learn new things. To dig deeper. But from personal experience I am forced to agree that a sound foundation in computer science helps a lot and that can be easily had as a CS undergrad. So to compensate I've had to dig deeper on my own to understand what computation really means(theory) and then thereafter come upto speed with current technologies.

But to answer the question of the OP.. the way forward for me will be about first sharing knowledge of what we know with each other. We need blogs of techy guys showing off their exploits in their favorite languages. We need a lot of code samples flying around on the internet coming from Nigerians. We need some form of open source projects that we can work together on. Then our lecturers can learn from these masters and be able to teach some new things in school. Becos for good or bad this situation is replicated among other disciplines and new things rarely find their way into schools quickly.

So to the gurus please I encourage you to start sharing first then others can follow suit.

John

1 Like

Re: A Way Forward For The Field Of Computer Science In Nigeria by kodewrita(m): 10:07am On Mar 21, 2012
Its always good to make comments with some knowledge backing it.

That linus torvalds even has a computer to play with is a result of years of work by people like Bill Gates and in spite of all the open source propaganda, Microsoft Windows is still the worlds most used operating system.

Bill gates if you do not know:
was and still is a super coder.
Apple may not like to admit it but he actually contributed some of the code in the first Mac OS.
He single-handedly ported applications to many different hardware platforms e.g the Altair which had no compilers but Bill ported BASIC to it to enable people write code.

hate him or love him. His claim to fame is that HE CREATED THE SOFTWARE INDUSTRY ITSELF.
Re: A Way Forward For The Field Of Computer Science In Nigeria by kodewrita(m): 10:18am On Mar 21, 2012
As for the topic subject, i have a few ideas.

Lets use the ESSA tool to come up with suggestions. I'll start but you can also add more.

Eliminate: all old content from our curriculum. we have moved beyond the age of FORTRAN and COBOL. If needed specialists can go and learn such old languages.

Simplify: I know the general assumption is that knowing many languages makes you a guru but I would advise that schools limit programming languages to just three: A scripting/educational language( Python/Scheme/Lisp), a systems programming language(C) and a RAD language(Java/VB). The RAD can be introduced late in the training period to enable them use it for final year projects but all computation and mathematical work should make use of either the prescribed educational one or the systems one. In essence Python or C.

Standardize: {I'll come back with things we should standardize}

Automate: {And I'll Also be back with things we might automate}
Re: A Way Forward For The Field Of Computer Science In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:33pm On Mar 21, 2012
It starts with 24hr electricity
Re: A Way Forward For The Field Of Computer Science In Nigeria by Ghenghis(m): 7:15am On Mar 23, 2012
kodewrita: Its always good to make comments with some knowledge backing it.
hate him or love him. His claim to fame is that HE CREATED THE SOFTWARE INDUSTRY ITSELF.
hmmm, Where would you put the other visionaries. He's(Bill) great but he was not alone ...

Eliminate: all old content from our curriculum. we have moved beyond the age of FORTRAN and COBOL. If needed specialists can go and learn such old languages.

That's part of the problem, there aren't enough of these programmers any more. Schools need to continue teaching them.

Simplify: I know the general assumption is that knowing many languages makes you a guru but I would advise that schools limit programming languages to just three: A scripting/educational language( Python/Scheme/Lisp), a systems programming language(C) and a RAD language(Java/VB). The RAD can be introduced late in the training period to enable them use it for final year projects but all computation and mathematical work should make use of either the prescribed educational one or the systems one. In essence Python or C.
Where are the functional languages ? Where are list processing languages?
While I appreciate your sentiments the problem with CS or universities is not a lack of programming languages or use of obsolete ones. For instance, when i was of my colleagues simply didn't have the aptitude, interest, time or attitude for programming. I learnt to program in school, and it started from hearing some chem eng. students talk about it. It was like a light went on in my head ... the rest is history, no teacher or lecturer influenced the entire process.

As someone who spent a year teaching(NYSC) I appreciate the lecturers palava. Its often rare to find a student that has the aptitude and attitude.
Re: A Way Forward For The Field Of Computer Science In Nigeria by kodewrita(m): 8:44am On Mar 23, 2012
Where will I put the other visionaries? ------------> In their rightful places. He created the first truly crossplatform environment and broke the IBM monopoly by ensuring programs written for his OS on IBM machines could run on DEC and other machines. You could simply learn to code for windows and not worry about all the hundred devices out there. That Created the industry.

On the issue of training people to ensure survival of COBOL and FORTRAN, Do you think it is the duty of Nigerian universities to ensure obsolete languages survive or to train their students to master cutting edge technology? Am surprised at that particular argument. Training and teaching must reflect current societal needs and the society needs Java, PHP,Python, PERL and C coders more than it needs FORTRAN. Hence the need for us to move ALONG.

If you also read my post slower, you would have noticed the List Processing languages (1. LiSP<-----the First and Number 1 List processing language. In fact the LiSP name was formed from the words LISt and Processing. 2. Scheme is a simpler Lisp Derivative and also a list processing language.)

Python possesses functional programming features and can just as well be used to teach functional programming.

On the subject of aptitude, you cant expect the average social science student to make the investment of time necessary to learn such a cumbersome language as FORTRAN. Its a waste of their time. Besides the arrogance of the lecturers who dont expect them to master the languages ensures they dont learn it.

Give them a chance to write free-flowing Python code. Show them how it can be relevant to their profession or better still tailor your teaching to their own needs and see them blossom.

Programming is not restricted to certain people with a certain braintype or brainpower. Anybody capable of concentrating and thinking logically (and thats anyone) can program.
Re: A Way Forward For The Field Of Computer Science In Nigeria by shehunDEgreat(m): 11:05am On Mar 23, 2012
A lecturer like dat in my school, not knowning anything but know how to set questions, download pdf materials from the internet, asking a 300L student to design algorithm and the application for his Phd project, should be sacked. Don't know how to teach but know how to fumble. They should be send away for us to have a good standard in Computer Sc. Thanks.
Re: A Way Forward For The Field Of Computer Science In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:32am On Mar 24, 2012
prodam: Thanks guys for shedding more light on this issue, I really salute your positivity.

one thing we must understand is that computer science can never be compared to any IT related course done in any IT shools anywhere. computer science comprises of various computing theory and sub-fields within it. some of which are:

Artificial Intelligence
Communications
Computational Biology
Computer Graphics
Computer Modeling
Computer Programming
Computer Science
Distributed Computing
Encryption
Hacking
Information Technology
Internet
Mobile Computing
Photography
Quantum Computers
Robotics
Software
Spintronics
Video Games
Virtual Reality
WiFi

Specialising in any of the above fields indicates the ultimate application of the knowledge of computer science. It is also an undisputable fact that computer science graduates possess the ability of becoming an expert in any field within a short period of time, just like graduates from other courses in their various fields.

thank you. Greatest computer scientist. what we do is transforming theory into concrete substance. understanding the logic and principle behind every single thing. Keep Your Head Up High
I agree with you on Spintronics(spin-electronic). It is a new field, which is more on the electronics/physics fields than computer engineering. The intrinsic part of being the study of the nature electron spin at the subatomic level, which is a part of the fundamental building blocks of nature.Then we should start talking about unifying theories of quarks and leptons and obvious properties of nature. Though, we know is different from the normal spin yet keep spinning in a particular direction. We've found that nature has not find a way of using it in the environment but physicists and as well as other application scientists have find it useful in many applications, from information to security uses. There is even ongoing study for the magnetic images(in scanning)use and also to spy on the minutest areas in the biological studies, mostly, in molecules to see what is going on in them.

In fact, it is very important in Chemistry and material science. Though, a broad-based use, computer science is not actually the target.On the other hand it is not a computer engineering fields but electronics in applying it to computer processor with multi-functional system(still a speculation).

1 Like

Re: A Way Forward For The Field Of Computer Science In Nigeria by cystein(m): 7:39pm On Mar 26, 2012
A 60 yr old lecturer knows nothing more than basic, This is the begining of death.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Which Among These Digital Skills Is More Profitable To Learn / A Thread On My Experiment With Reinforcement Learning & Artificial Intelligence. / .NET C#/VB.NET Project in the Pipeline for Programmers who may be interested

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.