Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,646 members, 7,801,878 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:25 AM

Another Terrible Time For Nigerians Abroad as BK HARAM KILL A BRITISH AND ITALIA - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Another Terrible Time For Nigerians Abroad as BK HARAM KILL A BRITISH AND ITALIA (1025 Views)

Abandoned IEDs By Boko Haram Kill 63 In Borno Town / Michael Adeboloja 'Mujahid' - One Of Woolwich Attackers Is A British-Nigerian? / Boko Haram KILL 6 more on Sunday , Very very sad, over 60 killed since last week (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Another Terrible Time For Nigerians Abroad as BK HARAM KILL A BRITISH AND ITALIA by NDelta(m): 8:06pm On Mar 08, 2012
Nigeria rescue bid: Kidnapped Briton and Italian killed The family of Chris McManus said they were devastated by his death Continue reading the main story

A Briton and an Italian abducted by gunmen in Nigeria last year have died in a failed rescue attempt, UK Prime Minister David Cameron has announced.

He said it appeared Chris McManus - from north-west England - and Franco Lamolinara had been "murdered by their captors before they could be rescued".

British forces supported the Nigerian-led operation, Mr Cameron said.

Gunmen abducted the two engineers from their lodgings in Birnin Kebbi city, in north-west Nigeria, on 12 May, 2011.

Mr Cameron said authorities had decided to go ahead with the rescue operation after receiving "credible information about [the men's] location".

"A window of opportunity arose to secure their release. We also had reason to believe that their lives were under imminent and growing danger," he said.

The prime minister said it was "with great regret" that he had to announce that Mr McManus and Mr Lamolinara had lost their lives in the subsequent operation.

Family 'devastated'

Mr Cameron offered his condolences to the two men's families. "Both families have endured a terrible ordeal, and this is a devastating moment for all of them," he said.

He thanked the Nigerian authorities and Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan for all they had done to find Mr McManus and "combat terrorism".

"I also want to pay tribute to all those, including UK personnel, who worked so hard to try to bring Chris home safely," Mr Cameron said. "I am very sorry that this ended so tragically. Terrorism and appalling crimes such as these are a scourge on our world."

Being a Nigerian abroad is one of the worst thing that can happen to anyone these dayz, I have had to claim other nationalities several times, i have been a  South African, a Kenyan and more recently a Ghanain and people keep saying "you are not proud of your country". How can i be proud of a never do well, a TERRORIST NATION and the most common one is the general belief that we all thieves. For the past 10 years now Nigeria have been on the Headlines for all the worst reasons, i was telling a jamaican guy the other day about my preparation to visit Nigeria when he replied saying "why are u going there man? they've been killing themselves, its always on the news these days. The worst is that Boko Haram enjoy the support of the Notherners. This new ISLAMIC TERRORISM IS THE WORST AMONG OTHERS. Jonathan pls help us
Re: Another Terrible Time For Nigerians Abroad as BK HARAM KILL A BRITISH AND ITALIA by werepeLeri: 8:15pm On Mar 08, 2012
Why? So those countries you claim are the best on earth or they dont have their own dark spots?
Re: Another Terrible Time For Nigerians Abroad as BK HARAM KILL A BRITISH AND ITALIA by NDelta(m): 8:27pm On Mar 08, 2012
At least they r better than Nigeria, our passport is among the worst in Africa, it cant get u anywhere, ordinary Namibians get free visa to UK, Zimbabwe drivers license can be changed to a British one on arrival here while S.A rand can be exchanged in almost every bureau d change.
Re: Another Terrible Time For Nigerians Abroad as BK HARAM KILL A BRITISH AND ITALIA by werepeLeri: 10:30pm On Mar 08, 2012
^^^

You are a first time traveller if you worry about all those things. Go to the same UK, most of their HS doctors are Nigerians. Be proud of where you are from, no matter what. If your passport is amongst the worst in Africa, mine is not, carry it with pride.
Re: Another Terrible Time For Nigerians Abroad as BK HARAM KILL A BRITISH AND ITALIA by NDelta(m): 8:19am On Mar 09, 2012
First time traveller after how many years?
who told u that most of the doctors are Nigerians? thats a lie, pls dont be deceived, there are Nigerian Doctors but few. It's easy for Nigerians at home to say be proud of your country but to be sincere i dont want to be identified as a TERRORIST. Pakistani's are many in the UK and so are their haters. NIGERIA IS GETTING TO THAT POINT
Re: Another Terrible Time For Nigerians Abroad as BK HARAM KILL A BRITISH AND ITALIA by werepeLeri: 8:27am On Mar 09, 2012
^^^

Well, in this London wey I dey, I am as proud a Nigerian as anything else, and I reject every effort of satan to make me claim a country that is not mine.

(1) (Reply)

Fuel Will Be N140.00 Next Week ? / Beer War Builds As Guiness Relaunches Dubic Larger / Subsidy: Farouk Lawan Committee Held Hostage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.