Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,537 members, 7,808,971 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:15 PM

What Does The Word ''itutu'' Mean In Yoruba? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Does The Word ''itutu'' Mean In Yoruba? (1197 Views)

Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba / What Does Mahinmi Mean In Yoruba? / What Does 'Have A Drink' Mean In The Western Society? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

What Does The Word ''itutu'' Mean In Yoruba? by adeibi: 8:51pm On Mar 08, 2012
Hello,
Please is there any word like itutu in Yoruba language?
Yesterday one of my white friends asked me if I knew the meaning of itutu.
Imagine how it sounded with a white accent. Anyway, I just told him that it does not exist in my language and that if he meant "tutu", it means cold or if he meant "etutu", it means ritual or sacrifice.

However, to my surprise he insisted that it's itutu and that he knows what he's saying.
He even spelled it for me to prove how sure he was.
I was kinda embarrassed, we argued over it for some time.
Then to convince me, he sent me these links below and I'm quite shocked.

Does the word really exist or someone somewhere just came up with it?
Wikipedia is sometimes wrong and the white guy's video in the YouTube link my friend sent me aint convincing me either. So that's why I'm asking.
Your replies will be much appreciated.
Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Af3ZG47oT7I&list=UU6nSFpj9HTCZ5t-N3Rm3-HA&index=5&feature=plcp
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Itutu
Re: What Does The Word ''itutu'' Mean In Yoruba? by bolorunfem(f): 4:01pm On Mar 09, 2012
The youtube didn't open on my system but the Wikki said it all. My initial reaction was shock but I quickly recovered. Though I've never head of such word in my life but I guess if there could be a word like 'igbona' then then there could be 'itutu'. wink

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

The King Of Home Equity Fraud: The Nigerian Who Conquered America / What's Your Flavour? The Fat, Skinny, Voluptuous Or Slim African Woman? / How The Igbos Emanated As A Tribe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.