Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,889 members, 7,798,974 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 01:15 PM

Your Thoughts On The Commercialization Of Gospel Materials - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Your Thoughts On The Commercialization Of Gospel Materials (5544 Views)

Your Thoughts On Mountain Of Fire And Miracles Church / Your Thoughts On This Sticker Of Bishop Oyedepo? Blasphemy / The Invasion Of The Funky Pastors & Commercialization Of Christianity (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Your Thoughts On The Commercialization Of Gospel Materials by lahwahleh: 10:31pm On Mar 08, 2012
Hello everyone, this was the subject of an arguement between me and a woman. She said it is not biblical to sell gospel materials such as books, tapes and cd's. What is your view on this?
Re: Your Thoughts On The Commercialization Of Gospel Materials by crossman9(m): 10:50pm On Mar 08, 2012
The bible expressly forbids making money out of the preaching of the gospel of Jesus Christ

We are Commanded in the Bible not to make Money out of the Gospel
Here are all the scriptures
Matthew 10:5-20
Matthew 10:7As you go, preach this message: 'The kingdom of heaven is near.'
Matthew 10:8Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse those who have leprosy, drive out demons. Freely you have received, freely give.
Matthew 10:9Do not take along any gold or silver or copper in your belts;
Matthew 10:10take no bag for the journey, or extra tunic, or sandals or a staff; for the worker is worth his keep.
Matthew 10:11"Whatever town or village you enter, search for some worthy person there and stay at his house until you leave.
Matthew 10:12As you enter the home, give it your greeting.
(N.I.V) 1 Corinthians 9:18 What then is my reward? Just this: that in preaching the gospel I may offer it free of charge, and so not make use of my rights in preaching it.
(K.J.V) 1 Corinthians 9:18 What is my reward then? Verily that, when I preach the gospel, I may make the gospel of Christ without charge, that I abuse not my power in the gospel.
1 Corinthians 9:19 For though I be free from all men, yet have I made myself servant unto all, that I might gain the more.
2 Corinthians 2:17 (New International Version,)
(N.I.V) 2 Corinthians 2:17 Unlike so many, we do not peddle the word of God for profit. On the contrary, in Christ we speak before God with sincerity, as those sent from God.
2 Corinthians 2:17 (King James Version)
2 Corinthians 2:17 For we are not as many, which corrupt the word of God: but as of sincerity, but as of God, in the sight of God speak we in Christ.
2 Corinthians 11:6 I may indeed be untrained as a speaker, but I do have knowledge. We have made this perfectly clear to you in every way. 7 Was it a sin for me to lower myself in order to elevate you by preaching the gospel of God to you free of charge?

King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)
2 Peter 2:3 And through covetousness shall they with feigned words make merchandise of you: whose judgment now of a long time lingereth not, and their damnation slumbereth not.
New Living Translation (©2007)
2 Peter 2:3 In their greed they will make up clever lies to get hold of your money. But God condemned them long ago, and their destruction will not be delayed.
Aramaic Bible in Plain English (©2010)
2 Peter 2:3 And by greed and fictitious accounts they will make profit among you, these whose judgment from the first has not been idle and their destruction does not sleep.

Matthew 16:26 What good will it be for a man if he gains the whole world, yet forfeits his soul? Or what can a man give in exchange for his soul?

Matthew 19:23 Then Jesus said to his disciples, "I tell you the truth, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven.
Matthew 19:23 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven.

Prayer

2 Thessalonians 3:1 Finally, brothers, pray for us,  that the word of the Lord may spread rapidly and be glorified,  even as also with you;

2 Thessalonians 3:2 and that we may be delivered from unreasonable and evil men; for not all have faith.

2 Thessalonians 3:3 But the Lord is faithful, who will establish you, and guard you from the evil one.

2 Thessalonians 3:4 We have confidence in the Lord concerning you, that you both do and will do the things we command.

2 Thessalonians3:5 May the Lord direct your hearts into the love of God, and into the patience of Christ.

Commands Dealing with the Idle

2 Thessalonians 3:6 Now we command you, brothers, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ,  that you withdraw yourselves from every brother who walks in rebellion,  and not after the tradition which they received from us.

2 Thessalonians3:7 For you know how you ought to imitate us.  For we didn't behave ourselves rebelliously among you,

2 Thessalonians3:8 neither did we eat bread from anyone's hand without paying for it,  but in labor and travail worked night and day, that we might not burden any of you;

2 Thessalonians3:9 not because we don't have the right,  but to make ourselves an example to you, that you should imitate us.

2 Thessalonians 3:10 For even when we were with you, we commanded you this: "If anyone will not work, neither let him eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:11 For we hear of some who walk among you in rebellion, who don't work at all, but are busybodies.

2 Thessalonians 3:12 Now those who are that way, we command and exhort in the Lord Jesus Christ,  that with quietness they work, and eat their own bread.

2 Thessalonians 3:13 But you, brothers, don't be weary in doing well.

2 Thessalonians 3:14 If any man doesn't obey our word in this letter, note that man,  that you have no company with him, to the end that he may be ashamed.

2 Thessalonians 3:15 Don't count him as an enemy, but admonish him as a brother.

Farewell

2 Thessalonians 3:16 Now may the Lord of peace himself give you peace at all times in all ways.
The Lord be with you all.

2 Thessalonians 3:17 The greeting of me, Paul, with my own hand,  which is the sign in every letter: this is how I write.

2 Thessalonians 3:18 The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.

2 Corinthians 2:17 (King James Version)
17For we are not as many, which corrupt the word of God: but as of sincerity, but as of God, in the sight of God speak we in Christ.
2 Corinthians 2:17 (New International Version,)
17 Unlike so many, we do not peddle the word of God for profit. On the contrary, in Christ we speak before God with sincerity, as those sent from God.
2 Corinthians 2:17 (New International Version - UK)
17 Unlike so many, we do not peddle the word of God for profit. On the contrary, in Christ we speak before God with sincerity, like men sent from God.
2 Corinthians 2:17 (Amplified Bible)
17For we are not, like so many, [like hucksters making a trade of] peddling God's Word [shortchanging and adulterating the divine message]; but like [men] of sincerity and the purest motive, as [commissioned and sent] by God, we speak [His message] in Christ (the Messiah), in the [very] sight and presence of God.

2 Corinthians 2:17 (New Living Translation)
17 You see, we are not like the many hucksters[a] who preach for personal profit. We preach the word of God with sincerity and with Christ’s authority, knowing that God is watching us.
Footnotes:

2 Corinthians 2:17 (Douay-Rheims 1899 American Edition)
17For we are not as many, adulterating the word of God; but with sincerity, but as from God, before God, in Christ we speak.

2 Corinthians 2:17 (Good News Translation)
17 We are not like so many others, who handle God's message as if it were cheap merchandise; but because God has sent us, we speak with sincerity in his presence, as servants of Christ.
Good News Translation (GNT)
2 Corinthians 2:17 (Contemporary English Version)
17A lot of people try to get rich from preaching God's message. But we are God's sincere messengers, and by the power of Christ we speak our message with God as our witness.

How many times the words “Free of Charge” Appears (2) in the bible (NIV)
(NIV) 1 Corinthians 9:18 What then is my reward? Just this: that in preaching the gospel I may offer it free of charge, and so not make use of my rights in preaching it.

(NIV) 2 Corinthians 11:7 Was it a sin for me to lower myself in order to elevate you by preaching the gospel of God to you free of charge?

(NIV) 2 Corinthians 11:8 I robbed other churches by receiving support from them so as to serve you.

How many times the words “Free of Charge” Appears (0) in the bible (NIV)

How many times the words “without Cost” Appears (0) in the bible (NIV)
(NIV) Isaiah 55:1 "Come, all you who are thirsty, come to the waters; and you who have no money, come, buy and eat! Come, buy wine and milk without money and without cost.

(NIV) Revelation 21:6 He said to me: "It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. To him who is thirsty I will give to drink without cost from the spring of the water of life.

How many times the words “Without Charge” Appears (0) in the bible (NIV)

Giving and sharing  not sowing

1 Corinthians 9 (King James Version)
1 Corinthians 9
King James Version (KJV)
1 Corinthians 9
1 Corinthians 9:1Am I am not an apostle? am I not free? have I not seen Jesus Christ our Lord? are not ye my work in the Lord?
1 Corinthians 9:2If I be not an apostle unto others, yet doubtless I am to you: for the seal of mine apostleship are ye in the Lord.
1 Corinthians 9:3 Mine answer to them that do examine me is this,
1 Corinthians 9:4 Have we not power to eat and to drink?
1 Corinthians 9:5 Have we not power to lead about a sister, a wife, as well as other apostles, and as the brethren of the Lord, and Cephas?
1 Corinthians 9:6Or I only and Barnabas, have not we power to forbear working?
1 Corinthians 9:7 Who goeth a warfare any time at his own charges? who planteth a vineyard, and eateth not of the fruit thereof? or who feedeth a flock, and eateth not of the milk of the flock?
1 Corinthians 9:8 Say I these things as a man? or saith not the law the same also?
1 Corinthians 9:9 For it is written in the law of Moses, thou shalt not muzzle the mouth of the ox that treadeth out the corn. Doth God take care for oxen?
1 Corinthians 9:10 Or saith he it altogether for our sakes? For our sakes, no doubt, this is written: that he that ploweth should plow in hope; and that he that thresheth in hope should be partaker of his hope.
1 Corinthians 9:11 If we have sown unto you spiritual things, is it a great thing if we shall reap your carnal things?
1 Corinthians 9:12If others be partakers of this power over you, are not we rather? Nevertheless we have not used this power; but suffer all things, lest we should hinder the gospel of Christ.
1 Corinthians 9:13 Do ye not know that they which minister about holy things live of the things of the temple? and they which wait at the altar are partakers with the altar?
1 Corinthians 9:14Even so hath the Lord ordained that they which preach the gospel should live of the gospel.
1 Corinthians 9:15 But I have used none of these things: neither have I written these things, that it should be so done unto me: for it were better for me to die, than that any man should make my glorying void.
1 Corinthians 9:16For though I preach the gospel, I have nothing to glory of: for necessity is laid upon me; yea, woe is unto me, if I preach not the gospel!
1 Corinthians 9:17For if I do this thing willingly, I have a reward: but if against my will, a dispensation of the gospel is committed unto me.
1 Corinthians 9:18What is my reward then? Verily that, when I preach the gospel, I may make the gospel of Christ without charge, that I abuse not my power in the gospel.
1 Corinthians 9:19For though I be free from all men, yet have I made myself servant unto all, that I might gain the more.
1 Corinthians 9:20And unto the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might gain the Jews; to them that are under the law, as under the law, that I might gain them that are under the law;
1 Corinthians 9:21To them that are without law, as without law, (being not without law to God, but under the law to Christ,) that I might gain them that are without law.
1 Corinthians 9:22To the weak became I as weak, that I might gain the weak: I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some.
1 Corinthians 9:23And this I do for the gospel's sake, that I might be partaker thereof with you.
1 Corinthians 9:24Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain.
1 Corinthians 9:25And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible.
1 Corinthians 9:26I therefore so run, not as uncertainly; so fight I, not as one that beateth the air:
1 Corinthians 9:27But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.
1 Corinthians 9:1-25 (New International Version)
New International Version (NIV)
1 Corinthians 9
Paul’s Rights as an Apostle
1 Corinthians 9:1 Am I not free? Am I not an apostle? Have I not seen Jesus our Lord? Are you not the result of my work in the Lord?
1 Corinthians 9:2 Even though I may not be an apostle to others, surely I am to you! For you are the seal of my apostleship in the Lord.
1 Corinthians 9:3 This is my defense to those who sit in judgment on me.
1 Corinthians 9:4 Don’t we have the right to food and drink? 5 Don’t we have the right to take a believing wife along with us, as do the other apostles and the Lord’s brothers and Cephas[a]?
1 Corinthians 9:6 Or is it only I and Barnabas who lack the right to not work for a living?
1 Corinthians 9:7 Who serves as a soldier at his own expense? Who plants a vineyard and does not eat its grapes? Who tends a flock and does not drink the milk?
1 Corinthians 9:8 Do I say this merely on human authority? Doesn’t the Law say the same thing? 9 For it is written in the Law of Moses: “Do not muzzle an ox while it is treading out the grain.”[b] Is it about oxen that God is concerned?
1 Corinthians 9:10 Surely he says this for us, doesn’t he? Yes, this was written for us, because whoever plows and threshes should be able to do so in the hope of sharing in the harvest.
1 Corinthians 9:11 If we have sown spiritual seed among you, is it too much if we reap a material harvest from you?
1 Corinthians 9:12 If others have this right of support from you, shouldn’t we have it all the more? But we did not use this right. On the contrary, we put up with anything rather than hinder the gospel of Christ.
1 Corinthians 9:13 Don’t you know that those who serve in the temple get their food from the temple, and that those who serve at the altar share in what is offered on the altar?
1 Corinthians 9:14 In the same way, the Lord has commanded that those who preach the gospel should receive their living from the gospel.
1 Corinthians 9:15 But I have not used any of these rights. And I am not writing this in the hope that you will do such things for me, for I would rather die than allow anyone to deprive me of this boast.
1 Corinthians 9:16 For when I preach the gospel, I cannot boast, since I am compelled to preach. Woe to me if I do not preach the gospel!
1 Corinthians 9:17 If I preach voluntarily, I have a reward; if not voluntarily, I am simply discharging the trust committed to me. 18 What then is my reward? Just this: that in preaching the gospel I may offer it free of charge, and so not make full use of my rights as a preacher of the gospel.
Paul’s Use of His Freedom
1 Corinthians 9:19 Though I am free and belong to no one, I have made myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible. 20 To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law.
1 Corinthians 9:21 To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God’s law but am under Christ’s law), so as to win those not having the law. 22 To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all people so that by all possible means I might save some. 23 I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings.
The Need for Self-Discipline
1 Corinthians 9:24 Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. 25 Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last, but we do it to get a crown that will last forever.
Footnotes:
a. 1 Corinthians 9:5 That is, Peter
b. 1 Corinthians 9:9 Deut. 25:4
Acts 4:32-37
The Believers Share Their Possessions
Acts 4:32 All the believers were one in heart and mind. No one claimed that any of their possessions was their own, but they shared everything they had.
Acts 4:33 With great power the apostles continued to testify to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus. And God’s grace was so powerfully at work in them all
Acts 4:34 that there were no needy persons among them. For from time to time those who owned land or houses sold them, brought the money from the sales
Acts 4:35 and put it at the apostles’ feet, and it was distributed to anyone who had need.
Acts 4:36 Joseph, a Levite from Cyprus, whom the apostles called Barnabas (which means “son of encouragement”), 37 sold a field he owned and brought the money and put it at the apostles’ feet.

Acts 5
Acts 5
Ananias and Sapphira
Acts 5:1 Now a man named Ananias, together with his wife Sapphira, also sold a piece of property.
Acts 5:2 With his wife’s full knowledge he kept back part of the money for himself, but brought the rest and put it at the apostles’ feet.
Acts 5:3 Then Peter said, “Ananias, how is it that Satan has so filled your heart that you have lied to the Holy Spirit and have kept for yourself some of the money you received for the land? 4 Didn’t it belong to you before it was sold? And after it was sold, wasn’t the money at your disposal? What made you think of doing such a thing? You have not lied just to human beings but to God.”
Acts 5:5 When Ananias heard this, he fell down and died. And great fear seized all who heard what had happened. 6 Then some young men came forward, wrapped up his body, and carried him out and buried him.
Acts 5:7 About three hours later his wife came in, not knowing what had happened. 8 Peter asked her, “Tell me, is this the price you and Ananias got for the land?”
“Yes,” she said, “that is the price.”
Acts 5:9 Peter said to her, “How could you conspire to test the Spirit of the Lord? Listen! The feet of the men who buried your husband are at the door, and they will carry you out also.”
Acts 5:10 At that moment she fell down at his feet and died. Then the young men came in and, finding her dead, carried her out and buried her beside her husband. 11 Great fear seized the whole church and all who heard about these events.
2 Corinthians 9
Generosity Encouraged
2 Corinthians 9
2 Corinthians 9:6 Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously.
7 Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. 8 And God is able to bless you abundantly, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work.
9 As it is written: “They have freely scattered their gifts to the poor; their righteousness endures forever.”[a]
2 Corinthians 9:10 Now he who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food will also supply and increase your store of seed and will enlarge the harvest of your righteousness.
2 Corinthians 9:11 You will be enriched in every way so that you can be generous on every occasion, and through us your generosity will result in thanksgiving to God.
2 Corinthians 9:12 This service that you perform is not only supplying the needs of the Lord’s people but is also overflowing in many expressions of thanks to God.
2 Corinthians 9:13 Because of the service by which you have proved yourselves, others will praise God for the obedience that accompanies your confession of the gospel of Christ, and for your generosity in sharing with them and with everyone else.
2 Corinthians 9:14 And in their prayers for you their hearts will go out to you, because of the surpassing grace God has given you.
2 Corinthians 9:15 Thanks be to God for his indescribable gift!
Re: Your Thoughts On The Commercialization Of Gospel Materials by Ybutterfly: 6:44am On Mar 09, 2012
^^^^^^^^^^tOO l0nG^^^^^^^^^^^^ undecided undecided
Re: Your Thoughts On The Commercialization Of Gospel Materials by lahwahleh: 12:45pm On Mar 09, 2012
But sir, it takes money to produce these materials. @crossman9
Re: Your Thoughts On The Commercialization Of Gospel Materials by Azibalua(f): 12:55am On Mar 10, 2012
lahwahleh:

But sir, it takes money to produce these materials. @crossman9
@ cross man
Please this is a simple statement
Answer it in a simple way
Don't type long articles no one actually reads them
Re: Your Thoughts On The Commercialization Of Gospel Materials by eddy1977(m): 7:14am On Mar 10, 2012
it is ok to sell gospel materials. the price is for the materials and not for the content.come on.even the bible is sold as a merchandise.it takes money to produce the packaging of the gospel material.

in some cases,materials have to be shipped and handled.that takes money. when the pastor has received a revelation and decides to put it in book format.the publishing house and the printing company will charge him to put the book together.that means,the pastor must come up with thousands of dollars to have his book published and printed.it is only logical for the pastor to turn around and sell the book.

so,common sense says that its ok and logical for pastors to sell cds,books and all gospel materials.
Re: Your Thoughts On The Commercialization Of Gospel Materials by crossman9(m): 9:32am On Mar 10, 2012
How many times the words “Free of Charge” Appears (2) in the bible (NIV)
(NIV) 1 Corinthians 9:18 What then is my reward? Just this: that in preaching the gospel I may offer it free of charge, and so not make use of my rights in preaching it.

(NIV) 2 Corinthians 11:7 Was it a sin for me to lower myself in order to elevate you by preaching the gospel of God to you free of charge?

(NIV) 2 Corinthians 11:8 I robbed other churches by receiving support from them so as to serve you.

How many times the words “Free of Charge” Appears (0) in the bible (NIV)

How many times the words “without Cost” Appears (0) in the bible (NIV)
(NIV) Isaiah 55:1 "Come, all you who are thirsty, come to the waters; and you who have no money, come, buy and eat! Come, buy wine and milk without money and without cost.

(NIV) Revelation 21:6 He said to me: "It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. To him who is thirsty I will give to drink without cost from the spring of the water of life.
Re: Your Thoughts On The Commercialization Of Gospel Materials by Dipwater(m): 11:17am On Mar 10, 2012
This guys are in money dat is why they have investments in the oil industry, buy planes like no man,s bizniz, live large in exotic hauses and drive latest whip in town while members are encouraged to have faith and biliv in God dat in due season they,ll reap
Re: Your Thoughts On The Commercialization Of Gospel Materials by BBDelta(m): 11:23am On Mar 10, 2012

1 Like

Re: Your Thoughts On The Commercialization Of Gospel Materials by Dipwater(m): 11:28am On Mar 10, 2012
@bbdelta honestly I gbadu their way dat is how it shuld be done
Re: Your Thoughts On The Commercialization Of Gospel Materials by manmustwac(m): 12:31pm On Mar 10, 2012
a very similar topic has already been on homepage recently undecided
Re: Your Thoughts On The Commercialization Of Gospel Materials by lahwahleh: 12:50pm On Mar 10, 2012
I like @Idi-Amin's response. But the same cannot work for Gospel artiste since it cost much more to produce a record.
Re: Your Thoughts On The Commercialization Of Gospel Materials by crossman9(m): 1:39pm On Mar 10, 2012
it in the word we are not to make money of the gospel
Re: Your Thoughts On The Commercialization Of Gospel Materials by theking5: 1:51pm On Mar 10, 2012
My take on this is that some of dis materials are sold on d high side, where a cd is sold at 400naira or dvd for 1000naira , it even makes some us who wants to buy and listen to d msg not to, d prices should be moderated so pple can buy and listen to d msg, they can make profit bt not too much.
Re: Your Thoughts On The Commercialization Of Gospel Materials by ITbomb(m): 3:04pm On Mar 10, 2012
I bought a message from our church front shop, actually the message was split into 3 sessions, I had thought the 3 sessions will be merge into a single mp3 cd for 200 but to my surprise , it was a single session in about 70 Mb out of 800mb free space and I was 'encouraged' to buy the other 2 sessions so that I would not miss the blessings

1 Like

Re: Your Thoughts On The Commercialization Of Gospel Materials by arbitrage: 3:08pm On Mar 10, 2012
Interesting, this was the question I sent by sms to a friend of recent. He is still thinking about it also to know what the Bible stand is on this. I simply asked him, if Peter or Paul or any other Apostle will probably and possibly spent hours (may be days) to seek God's face to receive inspiration, message or any form of spiritual enlightenment that will benefit the early church; will they actually sell it to the church to hear, watch and benefit from such message? If such gospel message needs to go beyond Jerusalem and Judea and probably needs getting to other churches in the Gentile world, will they send preachers (at whatever cost of transportation) to deliver such an epistle and cause it to be read freely in all locations or rather seller it to them?

Then here comes the question of the cost of producing such materials in our current world. An early comment made it known how many formats and ways to make today church members have access to such materials at no cost to the church. I did not even see it that way before but what I knew is this to support freely gotten freely give. Many of our ministries and churches today have printing presses and publishing houses across the globe. Just check each material publication and you will see that majority are printed by the same ministry's publishing house, which I presumed in such cases, are printing presses built by members' tithe money. In other words, they are built by God's money of that same ministry. So, if God gives inspirational message to a leader or member to share and bless members of the church and God's money (tithes, offerings, thanksgiving freewill offerings or other contributions from members) was used to publish such materials in the same ministry. Then whose cost are we bearing and taking into consideration in pricing such divine message to members.

Someone also talked about exempting gospel artiste as per selling of God's message. I think it is because the foundation of the church itself was destroyed or faulty, that is why there is almost nothing the righteous can do about it. Know that the talent or gift was supposed to be used in the church of God to bless and edify His people as He lays hands on such singer (like the Levite sons of Zadok or Kohatites, etc that specialize in songs/music in the Temple of God) without making it a business to live on outside the Temple/church as it is today. The portion of the Levites in sharing what comes to the house of God in tithes and offerings was taking care of those people without them have to pull out or start business with their gifts. It's different and honestly difficult today when any one with talent/gifts would rather not use it to bless his/her local congregation and environment BUT rather prefers to make ministry and business out of it.

It would have been easier if they stay together under their church or congregation so that the ministry can take care of producing such songs for outsiders to listen to and be blessed since it will then be the church's money that will produce it. But because no one wants to stay under another when you discover your giftings and you see how much you can make from sales, that is why talented/gifted person will rather not do other works but pull out and make a living from his/her gifts. It would not have raised any question although if such gifts/talents are not necessarily the gospel message that usually have God's word as the source.  If it was just secular music or your academic capabilities you spent money to learn from school or tutelage, you can make business and money out of it without any scriptural considerations but when you claimed it is the divine message, you are entering a Biblical restricted business area, I think.

Some even love the money and fame that go with it and they started under church/ministry to run after Hollywood for publishing because Holy Spirit is too slow for the riches they are envisaging. Eventually they are lost in the world and turned from a gospel singer/musician to secular whatever.

Back to church preacher, leader or pastor, when the Levite is no more getting what supposed to be the due of a full time ministry and labour, they also think about how to survive. Hence, they think of making money out of their "God-given" inspirational materials. Others do not start that way or had such mind, but when they see other wealthy ministers (out of inspirational material sales), they joined to make sales from the freely given-freely give grace they got from God. In fact, it does not matter anymore whether it is the church's (rather God's) money that printed such magazines, CDs, DVDs, daily devotions. They can claim they spent hours and days to get inspiration to right those things while other members were sleeping, so excuse themselves to sell but printed/published by a press that people tithes/offerings are sustaining.

Do not forget that a church/ministry that does not have her printing press/publishing house can still obey freely given-freely give command of the gospel. When their own Peter or Paul or whoever gets such a message, inspiration or whatsoever that needs sharing by any form of media, they should be ready to spend the tithes, offerings, etc. to sponsor the publishing of those materials so that members can have access freely to such epistle that is deemed important to everyone. Let there be (spiritual) meat in my house is the essence of the money in God's house.

Someone mentioned earlier the publishing of the Bible that gets into our hands by buying. This is majorly attributed to the fact that secular business publishers are the sources of the copies we have around us. The church can still give the word (Bible) to all free of charge if they will spend their money (tithes, offerings, contributions, etc.) to propagate the word of God. It is not only meant on buildings and expansions anyway. In any case, the ministry or church with capability to print Bible copies are not expected by that scriptures (of freely given-freely give) to sell it to others.

Finally, if for whatever justifiable reasons, we cannot but sell God-given gospel message, preaching, songs/music, CDs, DVDs, magazine, etc., I do not think it should be for a profit margin price. Not to the point we have today of preachers becoming jet-rider or billionaires from such sales of materials. Let it be from your personal secular or academic write-up that you labour for and not what message He delivered or revelations He made known unto you from "island of Patmos" bedroom for His churches (people).

I do not think Peter or Paul will today still feel their epistles should be made into e-format and sold to the Ephesians and Galatians no matter how lucrative it is simply BECAUSE they were not in trance or heard cunningly devised fables when the word came to them from the Word of Life Himself, saying, "freely have ye received, freely give."
Re: Your Thoughts On The Commercialization Of Gospel Materials by stolenstone: 6:23pm On Mar 10, 2012
omo see bible quotations?? Crossman abeg take am easy, this na crossfire of bible refrences.
Re: Your Thoughts On The Commercialization Of Gospel Materials by cja4real: 9:09pm On Mar 10, 2012
I actually don't see Jesus selling(making profit out) gospel materials in order to sponsor God's work.
That is why I respect Andrew Wommack. Andrew Wommack has decided to use the internet as a medium to freely distribute his message.If you don't have money to donate or order his CDs, go to his website(awmi.net) and download the same message free.
Re: Your Thoughts On The Commercialization Of Gospel Materials by optimistD(m): 9:56pm On Mar 10, 2012
the word commercialise is used when the intention is only for financial gain. or when it is being ran as a business. Im not against selling of gospel materials.
These things are produced with money, who pays the money? when they ask for free will donation in order to make these material available for free, poeple comlain that they are exploiting the poor masses. Now they sell it, people are still complaning.
on assumption that they make profit from the commercilisation and channel the profit into other gospel needs, will u still b against it? Dont forget that some of these materials are made available for free, where do u think the money came from?
because u dnt believe in a system, does that make it totally wrong?
Re: Your Thoughts On The Commercialization Of Gospel Materials by Jay5000(m): 10:26pm On Mar 10, 2012
the congregation contributes the munnyz to build the buildings, the schools, d printing companies etc, and d pastors colonize it. The congregation pays for the materials and then when its finished they tell you that you have to pay for the cost of "materials" and "printing", meaning that you are basically paying for the cost of your contribution. Open your eyes my friends.
Re: Your Thoughts On The Commercialization Of Gospel Materials by Joagbaje(m): 6:51am On Mar 11, 2012

the word commercialise is used when the intention is only for financial gain. or when it is being ran as a business. Im not against selling of gospel materials.
These things are produced with money, who pays the money? when they ask for free will donation in order to make these material available for free, poeple comlain that they are exploiting the poor masses. Now they sell it, people are still complaning.
on assumption that they make profit from the commercilisation and channel the profit into other gospel needs, will u still b against it? Dont forget that some of these materials are made available for free, where do u think the money came from?

Good point
Re: Your Thoughts On The Commercialization Of Gospel Materials by Joagbaje(m): 6:51am On Mar 11, 2012

Good point

Good point
Re: Your Thoughts On The Commercialization Of Gospel Materials by Joagbaje(m): 7:05am On Mar 11, 2012
Another mistake people make in confusion over the "free gospel " is that they can't differentiate between prefacing to sinners and building members. When a church reach out to sinners. They put money together to Reachout . To the sinners it is free but to the church it cost them time ,money energy etc. Nobody makes money from sinners.

But making gospel martials available for the brethren at a cost is not a big deal as explained above. It cost money to produce them , not only that , the circulation has to increase to other people. We buy books by people like Kenneth hagin here in Africa . How did the book get here ? Did they trekk? For some of us ,it's even a great opportunity to have those material to get to us. Why would Nigerians always want free things.

About making money of the gospel. It's not out of place. At all. That's what they've devoted their lives to.

1 Corinthians 9:14
14 Even so hath the Lord ordained that they which preach the gospel should live of the gospel.

13. crossman9(m):
it in the word we are not to make money of the gospel

Jesus himself recieved money for the gospel.

Luke 8:3
3 Joanna, whose husband Chusa was Herod's administrator; Susanna; and many other women. They provided financial support for Jesus and his disciples

It cost a lot to push the message into the world. The money must come from somewhere.
Re: Your Thoughts On The Commercialization Of Gospel Materials by Joagbaje(m): 7:17am On Mar 11, 2012
lahwahleh: But sir, it takes money to produce these materials. @crossman9

Thats another great point .

Why do we buy a bible ? to even start with if it is abomination to sell gospel materials. . If its ok to sell the bible , then every gospel material can be sold. We are encouraged to study. You are not forced to buy. You buy it because it is for your edification. People bought books in the bible days. Paul had great collection of books, we're they free?

2 Timothy 4:13
13 The cloke that I left at Troas with Carpus, when thou comest, bring with thee, and the books, but especially the parchments

The ethiopean eunuch had the book of isaiah which he was reading on his journey. Did he pick it free. The scribes who copied those scrolls we're paid for them . Let us not be hypocritical. The devil just take delight in bashing ministries these days. It's part of life to buy books that will build you.

Paul had told timothy to "study" Where would he get the books? He had to buy.

Proverbs 23:23
23 Buy the truth, and sell it not; also wisdom, and instruction, and understanding
Re: Your Thoughts On The Commercialization Of Gospel Materials by lahwahleh: 12:55pm On Mar 11, 2012
Thank you @Arbitrage for taking your time to give such an explanation. I noticed that you didn't mention the fact these ministries have PATNERS (COVENANT FINANCIERS) that dedicate a fixed part of their income to ministry. Those who ask where the money come from to note that. Also Jesus did not place a price tag on his teaching, the people saw the need and simply met it. That is still being done today and it is different from charging a price.
Re: Your Thoughts On The Commercialization Of Gospel Materials by plappville(f): 3:52pm On Mar 11, 2012
theking5: My take on this is that some of dis materials are sold on d high side, where a cd is sold at 400naira or dvd for 1000naira , it even makes some us who wants to buy and listen to d msg not to, d prices should be moderated so pple can buy and listen to d msg, they can make profit bt not too much.

They are not to make profits at all, if they sell for the price of the materials used only, it wont be a case. But they sell to make profit. Did the Apostles of Christ writes other books outside the bible? If they choose to write books, why not make it free or charge only for the material,? God help us. Money has corrupt the minds of them all.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Benny Hinn Captured On Wheel Chair After Brief Illness In Germany(photo) / CHRISTLIKE SELFLESSNESS - Mark Of A True Christian / Ask And You Shall Receive As This Year Is Coming To An End

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.