Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,690 members, 7,805,841 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:07 AM

Italy Angry Over Rescue Mission - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Italy Angry Over Rescue Mission (7280 Views)

Reps Angry Over Committees’ Allocation By Dogara / Jonathan Angry Over Leakage Of Patience's Illness / Delta Community Angry Over Gov. Uduaghan's Comment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Italy Angry Over Rescue Mission by ifihearam: 12:22pm On Mar 09, 2012
ROME (AFP) – Premier Mario Monti held a security committee meeting on Friday as anger spread over Britain’s failure to consult Italy before approving an attempt to rescue an Italian and Briton in Nigeria.

The interministerial committee for the security of the Republic (CISR) was meeting to reconstruct the events of the failed British and Nigerian operation to save Franco Lamolinara and Chris McManus, who were kidnapped last year.

“The tragic episode in Nigeria is unbelievable. The Italians are clearly humiliated,” said Antonio Puri Purini, columnist for the Corriere della Sera newspaper, which spoke of the government’s “rage” over the diplomatic incident.

“It is an unacceptable slap in the face and saying sorry is not enough,” it said.

Monti was only informed by Britain once the blitz was already underway and the Repubblica described the “dramatic phone call” with British Prime Minister David Cameron in which Monti demanded “details on exactly what happened.”

“This is a blow for Italy’s new-found international credibility,” it said.

Former Italian prime minister Massimo d’Alema, now in charge of a parliamentary committee dealing with security issues, criticised the rescue bid, complaining that it was apparently mounted without Italy being notified.

“It needs to be clarified why the British authorities decided to launch a military operation without informing us. We will get to the bottom of this,” he said on Thursday.

Fabrizio Cicchitto, a politician with the centre-right People of Freedom Party (PDL), said: “What happened in Nigeria is incredibly serious.”

Britain has said it gave the go-ahead on the operation because the men’s lives were in “imminent and growing danger”.

As Italian national pride smarted, Raffaello Matarazzo, research fellow at the Institute of International Affairs in Rome, said Italy’s exclusion from the decision-making was “a serious diplomatic incident” which would embarrass Rome.

The diplomatic slight “comes at a moment when Italy is improving its image on the international stage and the government is clawing back trust among its European partners,” he said.

While the argument is “also a bit of a blow to Monti’s current attempts to improve relations with Great Britain,” Matarazzo said he thought relations between the two countries “will not be seriously damaged.”

“These sorts of secret operations are very delicate and can blow up at any time,” he said. “Italy knows that.”
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/03/italy-angry-over-failed-rescue-bid/
Re: Italy Angry Over Rescue Mission by Sunofgod(m): 12:31pm On Mar 09, 2012
Correction: Italy Monti Angry Over Rescue Mission

'Monti' wasn't elected by the Italian people - therefore he does not speak for them.

(Plus Italy is broke - Monti can go screw himslef just like Cameron; Western Bas.tards)
Re: Italy Angry Over Rescue Mission by Demdem(m): 12:48pm On Mar 09, 2012
these guys should sharrap.
will they be saying these things if the rescue mission had been successful. Truly, failure has no friends.
Re: Italy Angry Over Rescue Mission by Akwasi(m): 1:50pm On Mar 09, 2012
The Italians are right. Cameron had no right to authorize such a daring operation without consulting Rome which also had a citizen as a hostage. This Cameron guy is really yeye, he wanted to copy Obama's order for the NAVY Seals to rescue the American hostage in Somalia.
Re: Italy Angry Over Rescue Mission by Nobody: 2:08pm On Mar 09, 2012
I read this from Washington post yesterday.
Re: Italy Angry Over Rescue Mission by Nobody: 2:12pm On Mar 09, 2012
Cameron wanted to tell the world that he has his own American version of Navy Seals, too bad America is far away better in the game
Re: Italy Angry Over Rescue Mission by gulfer: 2:15pm On Mar 09, 2012
Demdem:

these guys should sharrap.
will they be saying these things if the rescue mission had been successful. Truly, failure has no friends.

Can someone's head be shaven behind his back, do you know what they call having stake/interest in something? However you look at it, the Britons should have consulted the Italians as it was not only their national that was kidnapped. indirectly or directly and with the ill-advise and security reports that okayed the strike, the British have contributed in the deaths recorded.
Re: Italy Angry Over Rescue Mission by babaowo: 2:16pm On Mar 09, 2012
The real film will soon start and ppl we know the real enemy,
Re: Italy Angry Over Rescue Mission by Nobody: 2:25pm On Mar 09, 2012
Are you guys even serious? These guys are arguing over who should have[b] AUTHORIZED [/b]a mission on FOREIGN SOIL!!!!

If the captives had been in The United States would they be blabbing this chit!?

You guys amaze me.
Re: Italy Angry Over Rescue Mission by highland(m): 2:26pm On Mar 09, 2012
kingoflag:

Are you guys even serious? These guys are arguing over who should have[b] AUTHORIZED [/b]a mission on FOREIGN SOIL!!!!

If the captives had been in The United States would they be blabbing this chit!?

You guys amaze me.

Gbam
Re: Italy Angry Over Rescue Mission by Nnenna1(f): 2:27pm On Mar 09, 2012
kingoflag:

You guys amaze me.

Very true.

SMH at some people.
Re: Italy Angry Over Rescue Mission by Nobody: 2:28pm On Mar 09, 2012
kingoflag:

You guys amaze me.
So, you are supporting terrorists which your country leaders can not get rid of? Not every country ignore their citizens like yours!
Re: Italy Angry Over Rescue Mission by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 2:30pm On Mar 09, 2012
I laugh in funny eric cartman voice  - look at who else is complaining - Yes!!! Nigerians!  grin  grin  grin  grin over 3 decades of Islamic extremism, over 5 thousand deaths we still have no clue on what to do - when someone tries, we jump out of the cupboard to complain - ask your government why they are settling for dialogue with murderers, terrorists and illiterates
Re: Italy Angry Over Rescue Mission by Nobody: 2:33pm On Mar 09, 2012
all4naija:

So, you are supporting terrorists which your country leaders can not get rid of? Not every country ignore their citizens like yours!

Good to know from[b] YOU[/b] that The United States of America has shown no ability to get rid of terrorist and that we routinely abandon our citizens to their travails.

Ode, maybe you think the name of my President is Goodluck Jonathan.
Re: Italy Angry Over Rescue Mission by KayDee4: 2:35pm On Mar 09, 2012
kingoflag:

You guys amaze me.

There you go, comparing Nigeria to the US, on what basis ? Nigeria has shown that we cannot tackle the problem, so why not allow foreigners come carryout a rescue operation. @ least they didn't do it without permission.

If it was a hostage situation in US, they would have smoked out the boko rats in the blink of an eye.
Re: Italy Angry Over Rescue Mission by Yeske2(m): 2:39pm On Mar 09, 2012
kingoflag:

You guys amaze me.
I tire o, NLanders won't stop amazing me.
Re: Italy Angry Over Rescue Mission by Nobody: 2:40pm On Mar 09, 2012
kingoflag:

Good to know from[b] YOU[/b] that The United States of America has shown no ability to get rid of terrorist and that we routinely abandon our citizens to their travails.

Ode, maybe you think the name of my President is Goodluck Jonathan.
Listen to yourself. Didn't US do the same thing to save her citizens? Just keep your mouth shut if you couldn't understand what the lost of a citizen means to any organized society, unlike ours who bargain with terrorists than try or ask others for assistance. Even US cooperate with other countries in this regard not to mentioned our under-developed country.
Re: Italy Angry Over Rescue Mission by Nobody: 2:41pm On Mar 09, 2012
Kay-Dee:

There you go, comparing Nigeria to the US, on what basis ? Nigeria has shown that we cannot tackle the problem, so why not allow foreigners come carryout a rescue operation. @ least they didn't do it without permission.

If it was a hostage situation in US, they would have smoked out the boko rats in the blink of an eye.

I never said foreigners should not assist or lead a rescue mission since Nigeria has shown she doesn't have the capability to carry out such. All I'm saying is I think its an insult to the Sovereign Nation of Nigeria that a "Nonentity" (and Yes. Italy is a non-entity) like Italy is complaining about not being involved in authorizing a rescue mission in Nigeria. Note that all Monti kept complaining about was the lost opportunity to regain some kind of International Respect. . .  and he was expecting his Nation do that how? By calling the shots on how a Military Operation would proceed on foreign soil?

Puhleeaaze!
Re: Italy Angry Over Rescue Mission by chuks49(m): 2:41pm On Mar 09, 2012
Britain has said it gave the go-ahead on the operation because the men’s lives were in “imminent and growing danger”.

[quote][/quote]

Get Seal Team 6 involved when next you want to emberk on such mission, punk.
Re: Italy Angry Over Rescue Mission by Akwasi(m): 2:44pm On Mar 09, 2012
Nigeria's government has acknowledged that Britain consulted before the rescue mission
Re: Italy Angry Over Rescue Mission by Nobody: 2:47pm On Mar 09, 2012
all4naija:

Listen to yourself. Didn't US do the same thing to save her citizens? Just keep your mouth shut if you couldn't[b] understand what the lost of a citizen means to any organized society[/b], unlike ours who bargain with terrorists than try or ask others for assistance. Even US cooperate with other countries in this regard not to mentioned our under-developed country.

Organized society? You want to bet that You've seen more electricity black-outs in your life than me? Or that you've seen more Cops accept Bribes in broad-daylight than myself? You just love to talk , you don't calm down, relax and read what I've been writing. I've told you to "shut up" a while ago, you just didn't get it. Not, every insults starts with "You're Crazy".

Be quiet, you have no idea of how an organized society runs or a country defending the last drop of her citizen's blood. Relax, and read.
Re: Italy Angry Over Rescue Mission by Nobody: 2:51pm On Mar 09, 2012
kingoflag:

Organized society? You want to bet that You've seen more electricity black-outs in your life than me? Or that you've seen more Cops accept Bribes in broad-daylight than myself? You just love to talk , you don't calm down, relax and read what I've been writing. I've told you to "shut up" a while ago, you just didn't get it. Not, every insults starts with "You're Crazy".

Be quiet, you have no idea of how an organized society runs or a country defending the last drop of her citizen's blood. Relax, and read.
Lol . . . Hahaha . . . You are very funny. I like this guy. M.o.r.o.n!
Re: Italy Angry Over Rescue Mission by Nobody: 2:53pm On Mar 09, 2012
all4naija:

Lol . . . Hahaha . . . You are very funny. I like this guy. M.o.r.o.n!

Na wa o. This "Like" that you have for me, yet you called me a "Mo.ro.on". undecided
Re: Italy Angry Over Rescue Mission by KayDee4: 2:55pm On Mar 09, 2012
kingoflag:

I never said foreigners should not assist or lead a rescue mission since Nigeria has shown she doesn't have the capability to carry out such. All I'm saying is I think its an insult to the Sovereign Nation of Nigeria where a "Nonentity" (and Yes. Italy is a non-entity) like Italy is complaining about not being involved in authorizing a rescue mission in Nigeria. Note that all Monti kept complaining about was the lost opportunity to regain some kind of International Respect . . .  and he was expecting his Nation do that how? By calling the shots on how a Military Operation would proceed on foreign soil?

Puhleeaaze!

He was complaining because, not informing them about the operation seems like further disrespect slapped onto their already tarnished image.  . . .  and what if they call the shots? Why not if they have more expertise in rescue missions than the Brits and Nigerians. It becomes a disrespect to Nigeria if they had crept in without permission "US Navy seals-Bin Laden" style.
Re: Italy Angry Over Rescue Mission by Nobody: 3:11pm On Mar 09, 2012
Kay-Dee:

He was complaining because, not informing them about the operation seems like further disrespect slapped onto their already tarnished image.  . . .  and what if they call the shots? Why not if they have more expertise in rescue missions than the Brits and Nigerians. It becomes a disrespect to Nigeria if they had crept in without permission "US Navy seals-Bin Laden" style.

Hmmn, to each his own.

I just don't like the idea of "encroachment", whatever form it may take.
Re: Italy Angry Over Rescue Mission by dabrake(m): 3:28pm On Mar 09, 2012
i must laugh
Re: Italy Angry Over Rescue Mission by wordychap: 3:40pm On Mar 09, 2012
d operation went sour hence d complaint. i seriously don't support d nig. team involvement, d brits shud v gone d 'seals' way to get their citizen. nig military is too damn compromised not to v a link w d kidnappers n help foil d rescue attempt, n hey! d brits went for 'their citizen' on foreign soil, soil dat left dem for 8 MONTHS! w their eyes open n mopping- dont c nothing wrong with dat
Re: Italy Angry Over Rescue Mission by ceejay80s(m): 4:43pm On Mar 09, 2012
Na wa o! Why not allow the US to come into nigeria and do their job, our greedy leaders dey fear make our oil no enta their hand. Our president is more than weak and he is afraid to die, he is scared of doing anything because the same guys that planned and killed abacha are around him.
Re: Italy Angry Over Rescue Mission by Nobody: 4:55pm On Mar 09, 2012
It is deplorable to hear that Italy is angry for the "failed attempt" to rescure itz citisen

Why did Italy not undertake take to rescue itz natioanl before then?

This is a reasoning of a lazy man.

Italy should thank Uk and Naija for taking the initiative on their behalf. What if it was a success?
Re: Italy Angry Over Rescue Mission by chimuchi(f): 5:16pm On Mar 09, 2012
why angry?
Re: Italy Angry Over Rescue Mission by PurestBoy(m): 5:17pm On Mar 09, 2012
kingoflag:

Na  wa o. This "Like" that you have for me, yet you called me a "Mo.ro.on".  undecided

You're a M.O.R.O.N raised to power millions
Re: Italy Angry Over Rescue Mission by werepeLeri: 5:47pm On Mar 09, 2012
ceejay80s:

Na wa o! Why not allow the US to come into nigeria and do their job, our greedy leaders dey fear make our oil no enta their hand. Our president is more than weak and he is afraid to die, he is scared of doing anything because the same guys that planned and killed abacha are around him.

whats the meaning of this?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Akwa Ibom Airport Records 500,000 Passengers In 2 Years - Official / MASSOB,BIM Appeal To UN To Divide Nigeria Into 6 Republics / Tinubu Calls Igbo People "Awon Okoro" In Soon To Be Released Tapes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.