Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,785 members, 7,802,438 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:27 PM

Security Agencies Uncover Boko Haram Plot To Attack South - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Security Agencies Uncover Boko Haram Plot To Attack South (12355 Views)

XENOPHOBIC ATTACK: South African Policemen Smile At A Burning Victim (PHOTO) / MEND Promises To Attack South African Investments In N'Delta / Boko Haram Vow To Attack South South Part Of Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Security Agencies Uncover Boko Haram Plot To Attack South by chuks49(m): 8:43am On Mar 10, 2012
A plot by the militant Islamic sect, Boko Haram, to extend its operations to the southern part of the country has been uncovered by security agencies.

The sect had chosen some southern cities such as Lagos, Ibadan, Enugu, Onitsha and Warri for attacks.
It was learnt that following sustained attacks on the sect’s strongholds in Borno and Yobe states by security agencies, its members had dispersed to other parts of the country.

Security sources said that the group, which had carried out several devastating bombings and gun attacks in Kano that claim over 185 lives, was looking beyond the North in its future terror campaign.
One of the reasons for spreading its operation to the South, it was learnt, was in order not to limit its campaign to an ethnic agenda.

A top security source told PUNCH that there was likelihood that the Boko Haram might have some of their backers resident in the South.
The source said that the mastermind of the Christmas Day bomb attack on St. Theresa’s Catholic Church, Madalla, Niger State, Kabiru Sokoto, was sighted in Lagos after the incident.
It was learnt that security agencies were leaving no stone unturned in checking the moves of the arrested terror suspects and drawing probable inferences from them.

SOKOTO

The source said, “It was not a coincidence that Sokoto, who had been on the wanted list of the police before December 25, was sighted in Lagos.
“His presence in Lagos was not for fun. This is one of the angles security agencies are working on.
“I think the group has noticed that security is not tight in the South and there have not been bombings. They are out to cash in on the laxity.”

The Senate Committee on Police, which probed the escape of Sokoto from custody, had last February said that the suspect was seen in Lagos on December 13.
The committee chairman, Senator Paulinus Nwagu, had, while presenting the report of the probe said, “Police intelligence revealed that prior to his arrest on January 14, 2011, Kabiru Sokoto had been on the wanted list of security agencies.
“Sokoto was reported to have been noticed within the vicinity of Snake Island, Lagos, and left Lagos sometime on December 13, 2011 and disappeared from surveillance monitoring until January 11, 2012.

“He was later traced to Abaji in the Federal Capital Territory.

“Police detectives traced him from Abaji to Abuja on the same date and further traced him to Asokoro-Abuja, where he was finally apprehended at about 0240 hours (2.40 am) on January 14, 2012, at the Borno State Governor’s Lodge at Iro Dan Musa Street, Asokoro, Abuja.”
Intelligence report had revealed that Boko Haram sympathisers had moved to the South, from where they coordinated operations of the sect in the North.

It was learnt that the sect decided to shift to the South in order to divert the attention of security agencies, who are on the trail of its members in the North.
A security source stated, “Since the heat has been turned on them, they have been moving to Lagos and other cities, where they mix with unsuspecting northerners residing in those cities.”

He said that the sect’s plot to attack the South was aimed at further creating the impression that there was instability in the country.
The source said, “You will observe that activities of the sect are ebbing due to unrelenting efforts of security agencies.

“But Boko Haram is also devising another method. This time around, it is looking at ways of attacking the South.”
He, however, lamented that security agencies would have recorded more successes, if not for pro-Boko Haram elements in the Presidency.

According to him, some people, who are sympathetic to the Boko Haram cause, are frustrating security agencies’ plans to “deal a final blow on the sect.”

President Goodluck Jonathan on January 8 had said that the sect had infiltrated his government.
He had said, “Some of them are in the executive arm of government, some of them are in the parliamentary/legislative arm of government while some of them are even in the judiciary.
“Some are also in the armed forces, the police and other security agencies. Some continue to dip their hands and eat with you and you won’t even know the person who will point a gun at you or plant a bomb behind your house.”

When contacted, the police on Friday denied knowledge of any moves by the Islamic sect to spread its mayhem to the South.
The Force Public Relations Officer, Mr. Olusola Amore, said he was not aware of such a move and did not say anything further.
But a top security source said that there was a security alert all over the country and not just the South-West.

The source said that security agents were not expecting the sect to disclose its next move before steps were taken to stop it.
According to the source, the leadership of the Muslim community in the South-West has commenced an awareness campaign through the imams against acts of terror being perpetrated under the cloak of religion.
The source recalled that the Lagos State Governor, Mr. Raji Fashola, had pulled down three places of worship near the seat of government at Alausa because of incriminating security reports against the sect.

“There is security alert all over the country, not only in the South-West; the so-called plan is something we don’t expect them to execute before we take proactive steps.
“Security agents are aware of their advanced plans and are nipping them in the bud.
“The southern Muslims have value for human lives; they know that nobody can fight for God. They are not inconsiderate. The Muslim leadership in the South are putting their members on the alert; imams are already doing that,” a leader of the Muslim community said.

In Port Harcourt, a leader of the Muslim community, Alhaji Sarki Gabas, denied that Muslims were using their mosques as armoury for the sect in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria on Thursday.
Gabas reportedly denied the reports linking Muslims in the Rivers State capital with perpetrators of terror acts in the society.

Gabas had said, “It is not true that Victoria Street (in Port Harcourt) Mosque is being used for training Islamic militants and it is not true also that the Islamic school in Mile 3 houses militants and that Elelenwa Mosque is used as armoury.
“All these are lies. We do not believe in violence.”

http://www.nigerianeye.com/2012/03/security-agencies-uncover-boko-haram.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Nigerianeye+%28NigerianEye%29
Re: Security Agencies Uncover Boko Haram Plot To Attack South by jamace(m): 9:25am On Mar 10, 2012
So, what next?
Re: Security Agencies Uncover Boko Haram Plot To Attack South by olaak1(m): 10:04am On Mar 10, 2012
I just pray let this nuisance try to attack any Yoruba or Igbo land and see; I am telling u that will be the end of Boko Haram, bunch of miscreants!!!
Re: Security Agencies Uncover Boko Haram Plot To Attack South by Beaf: 11:11am On Mar 10, 2012
The sect had chosen some southern cities such as Lagos, Ibadan, Enugu, Onitsha and Warri for attacks.

I recall some months ago that some people were arguing that boko haram was a problem between the SS and core-North and they in the SW should only sit and watch. I hope the advocates of such a dangerous position have since done a full rethink, because it only exposes them to danger and unpreparedness in any eventuality.
It is folly to think one can watch events in Nigeria without getting involved. The entire South and Middle Belt need to act as one.
Re: Security Agencies Uncover Boko Haram Plot To Attack South by jmaine: 11:50am On Mar 10, 2012
Beaf:

I recall some months ago that some people were arguing that boko haram was a problem between the SS and core-North and they in the SW should only sit and watch. I hope the advocates of such a dangerous position have since done a full rethink, because it only exposes them to danger and unpreparedness in any eventuality.
It is folly to think one can watch events in Nigeria without getting involved. [size=14pt]The entire South and Middle Belt need to act as one.[/size]

The Middle belt have already shown . .they are not with the core North . . . . We need to unite against a common destroyer . . .

1 Like

Re: Security Agencies Uncover Boko Haram Plot To Attack South by egift(m): 12:17pm On Mar 10, 2012
Security Agencies[b] "Uncover"[/b] Boko? - stop insulting our senses.
Re: Security Agencies Uncover Boko Haram Plot To Attack South by Beaf: 12:25pm On Mar 10, 2012
I recall that there was a boko haram financier or terrorism connected businessman arrested in Lagos earlier this year. Anyone know what happened with his case?
Re: Security Agencies Uncover Boko Haram Plot To Attack South by aglomar: 12:40pm On Mar 10, 2012
They want 2 ignite a civil war, this time south n east against north. God save us.
Re: Security Agencies Uncover Boko Haram Plot To Attack South by aglomar: 12:41pm On Mar 10, 2012
They want 2 ignite a civil war, this time south n east against north. God save us.
Re: Security Agencies Uncover Boko Haram Plot To Attack South by otokx(m): 12:43pm On Mar 10, 2012
media lies
Re: Security Agencies Uncover Boko Haram Plot To Attack South by nasty45(m): 12:49pm On Mar 10, 2012
Hahahahaha i laf in i.e.d. See ds zombies o.mk them try theirself na.
Re: Security Agencies Uncover Boko Haram Plot To Attack South by Standing5(m): 12:52pm On Mar 10, 2012
Boko haram is confused or out to confuse us all, but God pass all of them.
Re: Security Agencies Uncover Boko Haram Plot To Attack South by snowdrops(m): 12:53pm On Mar 10, 2012
With a malfunctioning security apparatus, it is only the grace of God that BH has not extended its attack to southern Nigeria. There is seriously nothing stopping them. The truth is that were they to attack, it is the innocent northerners in the south that would pay for it with their lives or limbs. Because the attackers would simply vanish into thin air, and the masses would lunch jungle justice on any aboki-looking person.
Re: Security Agencies Uncover Boko Haram Plot To Attack South by nasty45(m): 12:54pm On Mar 10, 2012
I jst saw on vanguard page that the cp of lagos says it's untrue.whic one we go believe nw
Re: Security Agencies Uncover Boko Haram Plot To Attack South by lafuria1(m): 1:06pm On Mar 10, 2012
so sokoto was sighted in lagos the same day the madalla bomb attack toke place, is ok. so what is the solution. wait for them to attack or some pple attack on their behalf and blame it on boko haram and the security agencies will shout they told us so. we uncover we uncover, uncover what and no mastermind is arrested before the attack. Is abu qaqa and sokoto still alive becos no vital info has been gotten from them as far as the public know.
Re: Security Agencies Uncover Boko Haram Plot To Attack South by Andrew3(m): 1:10pm On Mar 10, 2012
otokx:

media lies
I am a believer, I believe.
Re: Security Agencies Uncover Boko Haram Plot To Attack South by highland(m): 1:17pm On Mar 10, 2012
Media organisation should stop promoting BH agenda or activities again.
Re: Security Agencies Uncover Boko Haram Plot To Attack South by snowdrops(m): 1:21pm On Mar 10, 2012
BH has already threatened to deal with any negative stories from media so wont be surprised if 9ja journalist were to sh*t in their pants and change song
Re: Security Agencies Uncover Boko Haram Plot To Attack South by iykay4455(m): 1:23pm On Mar 10, 2012
Nigerian media and sensationalism.Sun is the worst culprit.
Re: Security Agencies Uncover Boko Haram Plot To Attack South by bsparks: 1:25pm On Mar 10, 2012
olaak1:

I just pray let this nuisance try to attack any Yoruba or Igbo land and see; I am telling u that will be the end of Boko Haram, bunch of miscreants!!!
Really? Just what are u goin 2 do about it; or u know something we don't? Pray, do share.
Re: Security Agencies Uncover Boko Haram Plot To Attack South by snowdrops(m): 1:30pm On Mar 10, 2012
bsparks:

Really? Just what are u goin 2 do about it; or u know something we don't? Pray, do share.
He is a super hero; me think incredible hulk.
Re: Security Agencies Uncover Boko Haram Plot To Attack South by afroxyz: 1:37pm On Mar 10, 2012
As rightly said, media lies and psychological warfare. If they had the capability, they would have done it a long time ago. Tell that bogus publisher to come up with a better startegy of inducing fear
Re: Security Agencies Uncover Boko Haram Plot To Attack South by Odutodaiwa: 1:38pm On Mar 10, 2012

It is folly to think one can watch events in Nigeria without getting involved. The entire South and Middle Belt need to act as one.

Entire South ke. You mean with Parasitic SW inclusive Uncle idiotic Beaf. You can bet with me say for this gbege wey dey floor. Everybody go answer hin papa name.

On a more serious note. I think it makes sense for those of us whose ideals are against these Islamist extremists to build a consensus against every evil they represent. That is why some of us would appreciate if we could have a convergence of opinion on what is right and wrong rather than opinions jaundiced by triabalism as Beaf and some elements on NL are known for.
Re: Security Agencies Uncover Boko Haram Plot To Attack South by babaowo: 1:48pm On Mar 10, 2012
well may be the END is already near.
Re: Security Agencies Uncover Boko Haram Plot To Attack South by Beaf: 1:55pm On Mar 10, 2012
Odu-toda-iwa:

Entire South ke. You mean with Parasitic SW inclusive Uncle idiotic Beaf. You can bet with me say for this gbege wey dey floor. Everybody go answer hin papa name.

On a more serious note. I think it makes sense for those of us whose ideals are against these Islamist extremists to build a consensus against every evil they represent. That is why some of us would appreciate if we could have a convergence of opinion on what is right and wrong rather than opinions jaundiced by triabalism as Beaf and some elements on NL are known for.

The words in bold sum up an attitude that is best described as shooting yourself in the foot. Everybody is targetted by boko haram, but the excruciatingly poor ACN leadership has driven wedges between the Souths political blocks. I am happy that the President specifically issued a warning to that party over their uncivilised utterances.

Why do you think SE/SS people prefer to talk with Mrs. H.I.D. Awolowo rather than any jumped up clown that is in reverse gear and wanting to take down the entire South when they crash?
Re: Security Agencies Uncover Boko Haram Plot To Attack South by nduchucks: 2:27pm On Mar 10, 2012
For many narrow minded posters on this thread, bigotry, tribalism, sectionalism, and outright self hatred, have taken over their objectivity. These fools are calling for the south to unite in the fight against BH, while ignoring the fact that BH is an enemy of all Nigerians and have actually murdered more Northerners than any other group. When the chips are finally exposed, you may be shocked to learn that major financiers of BH hail from the SS and other southern regions.

I am beginning to suspect that gross incompetence, coupled with the same bigotry and narrow mindedness, are what advice the inability of the President to resourcefully, promptly and decisively deal with this BH menace. Shame on you people. SMH

Imagine a President disgracing the whole country by bringing in foreign forces to conduct law enforcement raids and kill Nigerians in the process!!

1 Like

Re: Security Agencies Uncover Boko Haram Plot To Attack South by Beaf: 2:34pm On Mar 10, 2012
^
Dude, sing as you will, boko haram remains an aboki thing.
Boko haram killing Northerners is merely an extention of the savage wickedness of the core-Northern elite that has seen the manufacturing to industrial scales of 10million almajiri's out of the regions innocent children.
Re: Security Agencies Uncover Boko Haram Plot To Attack South by IYANGBALI: 2:37pm On Mar 10, 2012
honestly if you ask me it is the nigerian media that is given these beasts called boko haram unnecessary publicity which is making them feel popular everyday,let the media shun boko haram and there activities for a month,they would all fizzle out like iso{sorry i don,t know what iso is called in english,tell me if you do grin grin grin grin grin}
Re: Security Agencies Uncover Boko Haram Plot To Attack South by Yujin(m): 3:34pm On Mar 10, 2012
@ndu_chucks, innocent blood is wailing over the north that is why boko haram kill mostly their own ppl. You cannot stop it; abandon the damn religion & seek God's forgiveness, only then shall you escape. It is all deceit saying boko haram is a nigerian thing, not just a northern thing. Your people claim mastery of politics & propaganda but now it won't work anymore because the end of their empire is near. Stop deceptively calling on nigerians to come together & fight bh as though bh is a group of unknown ppl.
@topic, what the media is saying is simply 'southerners prepare for attacks from the core north under the guise of boko haram'. Who do you think will house & help co-ordinate the imminent attacks of these jihadists if not the ones already residing there? My advise to southerners is 'be vigilant; study the movement of abokis around you including the items they bring to their homes & mosques and finally pray that God should expose their sponsors, plans & strategies. Somebody once started a thread with the interview of an ex-(jihadist)boko haram member where he revealed some relevant info. but many southerners assumed it a fable tale. Prevention is better than cure.
Re: Security Agencies Uncover Boko Haram Plot To Attack South by teskyg: 3:58pm On Mar 10, 2012
Media Lies.Me think the Government should prosecute this media houses that publish fake news.this is a big lie.Boko haram has come under intense heat from the JTF.their leaders are on the run.the aboki in the south,especially lagos know the harsh consequences of any attacked.it will be unpalatable to them.
Re: Security Agencies Uncover Boko Haram Plot To Attack South by mekaboy(m): 4:46pm On Mar 10, 2012
ONE THING I KNOW ABOUT ENUGU, IF A BOMB GOES OF, ALL NORTHERNERS AND MUSLIMS WILL HAVE TO LEAVE, I DONT KNOW ABOUT LAGOS THAT IS MIXED.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Pictures Of "Dying Buhari" Inside The Ambulance @ Heathrow Airport In London / Minister Directs IGP, NSCDC Boss To Relocate To North East / Ajaokuta: Steel Workers Welcome Plan To Return Coy To Original Builder

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.