Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,986 members, 7,799,377 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 07:57 PM

Why American Films Are Ridiculous. - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Why American Films Are Ridiculous. (6774 Views)

Opinion: Nigerian Films Are Getting Better / Nigerian Films Are Now Becoming What You Can't Watch With Your Family These Days / 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why American Films Are Ridiculous. by Nobody: 9:23am On Mar 10, 2012
But i love them.  The price tag that is put on some hollywood films are incredible. What on earth will make a movie cost $250 million i e. 38b naira. Is that the real budget or is the figure inflated. I will like to know.
Re: Why American Films Are Ridiculous. by mkmyers45(m): 6:17pm On Mar 10, 2012
Yes, they are realistic and thats why the films are so good, you watch them and they win Oscars.
Re: Why American Films Are Ridiculous. by Kslib(m): 12:41pm On Mar 11, 2012
Mehn,that's a huge figure there.I wonder what they use that kind of money to buy,is it cameras,make-up or what?
Re: Why American Films Are Ridiculous. by Lawalkay(m): 12:41pm On Mar 11, 2012
You want to compare good planning and execution to those crab 9ja producers cook 4 us in d name of movies called proudly nollywood. Proud 9ja indeed

1 Like

Re: Why American Films Are Ridiculous. by Nobody: 12:51pm On Mar 11, 2012
Personally I don't watch naija movies neither do I like their so called music. But I kind of find it strange the way you guys are quick on codeming naija movie and music industry and keep comparing it with Hollywood. Let's be realistic in as much as we need a huge improvement, that does not mean that the naija guys are not trying their best. Have you ever taken your time to really assess the situation on ground in naija and what we have here in advanced nation?
Re: Why American Films Are Ridiculous. by cynthiafred67(f): 12:52pm On Mar 11, 2012
I still ask my self this same question.
Re: Why American Films Are Ridiculous. by cynthiafred67(f): 12:52pm On Mar 11, 2012
I still ask my self this same question.
Re: Why American Films Are Ridiculous. by Zil1(m): 12:54pm On Mar 11, 2012
Did the producers and directors of those movies complain to you about the high cost of making such movies.. we are so used to the shame that we call films in nigeria that good things like what the hollywood do meets such destructive criticism.
Re: Why American Films Are Ridiculous. by Weselion1(m): 1:03pm On Mar 11, 2012
woodcook: Personally I don't watch naija movies neither do I like their so called music. But I kind of find it strange the way you guys are quick on codeming naija movie and music industry and keep comparing it with Hollywood. Let's be realistic in as much as we need a huge improvement, that does not mean that the naija guys are not trying their best. Have you ever taken your time to really assess the situation on ground in naija and what we have here in advanced nation?
you are quite right but you need to see 9ja storyline or title of film e.g the sun shall soon shine,the stolen bible,evil that men do. What da hell
Re: Why American Films Are Ridiculous. by Weselion1(m): 1:04pm On Mar 11, 2012
woodcook: Personally I don't watch naija movies neither do I like their so called music. But I kind of find it strange the way you guys are quick on codeming naija movie and music industry and keep comparing it with Hollywood. Let's be realistic in as much as we need a huge improvement, that does not mean that the naija guys are not trying their best. Have you ever taken your time to really assess the situation on ground in naija and what we have here in advanced nation?
you are quite right but you need to see 9ja storyline or title of film e.g the sun shall soon shine,the stolen bible,evil that men do. What da hell
Re: Why American Films Are Ridiculous. by Nobody: 1:29pm On Mar 11, 2012
Weselion.:

_
Say that really fast ten times. Botoh, Nigerian films are wack!
_
I used to love Nollywood movies, then I didn't (read: I hated them). There was no originality. It was stagnant, (like the mosquito-ridden body of water in our first house before my mum got rid of it). It was all voodoo, juju, and crap. Poor grammar, if any, and loads of religion, and don't get me started on the superstitions: a pigeon flies past my window (my neighbours are after my life). It gets cloudy the morning of my birthday (my enemies want my head). I stumble on a rock, or slip on a wet surface (the gods are so to blame).
But then something amazing happened: I discovered Schwarzenegger (The Terminator), Michael Fox (Back to the Future), Cameron Diaz (Charlie's Angels), Bruce Willis (Die Hard). And I never looked back.
Re: Why American Films Are Ridiculous. by KINGwax(m): 1:30pm On Mar 11, 2012
Lawalkay: You want to compare good planning and execution to those crab 9ja producers cook 4 us in d name of movies called proudly nollywood. Proud 9ja indeed
shut your 4k up!
Re: Why American Films Are Ridiculous. by abt(m): 1:31pm On Mar 11, 2012
Not only for cameras. Payment for the actors etc.
Re: Why American Films Are Ridiculous. by logica(m): 1:42pm On Mar 11, 2012
What on earth will make a movie cost $250 million
Nearly every single frame on the movie Avatar was a CGI (Computer Generated Image). If you know what a frame is (and you know how many frames are in a movie on average), and you know the salary that CGI experts command (of which you will likely have several dozen working on the project) then you begin to see that the budget is in order.
Re: Why American Films Are Ridiculous. by Nobody: 3:26pm On Mar 11, 2012
American films are still the BEST in the world, so why tag em 'ridiculous'? Whatever! Moving on.. *turns on TV and watches an 'American film'* smiley
Re: Why American Films Are Ridiculous. by SlimFero(m): 3:36pm On Mar 11, 2012
SimonAndal:
_
Say that really fast ten times. Botoh, Nigerian films are wack!
_
I used to love Nollywood movies, then I didn't (read: I hated them). There was no originality. It was stagnant, (like the mosquito-ridden body of water in our first house before my mum got rid of it). It was all voodoo, juju, and crap. Poor grammar, if any, and loads of religion, and don't get me started on the superstitions: a pigeon flies past my window (my neighbours are after my life). It gets cloudy the morning of my birthday (my enemies want my head). I stumble on a rock, or slip on a wet surface (the gods are so to blame).
But then something amazing happened: I discovered Schwarzenegger (The Terminator), Michael Fox (Back to the Future), Cameron Diaz (Charlie's Angels), Bruce Willis (Die Hard). And I never looked back.

I see Ɣ☺ΰ my dear!
Morgan Freeman, Al Pacino, Ben Affleck. They do movies Ω̴ot .. L♥√e portion, portion of L♥√e, L♥√e 'nd passion. Diff. Mvies*
Re: Why American Films Are Ridiculous. by ZIMDRILL(m): 4:13pm On Mar 11, 2012
Cygni: But i love them.  The price tag that is put on some hollywood films are incredible. What on earth will make a movie cost $250 million i e. 38b naira. Is that the real budget or is the figure inflated. I will like to know.
you need to understand what they need in a movie most things are expensive the type of cameras the software and time they take in developing a 6 sec action, then things like cars they use eng lets say there are using aston martins they have to buy them etc then location they travell with all those set etc the least is endless
Re: Why American Films Are Ridiculous. by blackboi(m): 4:46pm On Mar 11, 2012
slimdamatrix: American films are still the BEST in the world, so why tag em 'ridiculous'? Whatever! Moving on.. *turns on TV and watches an 'American film'* smiley

sorry dear, they're fast 4kin loosing relevance. For me, its Modern Korea Movies all the way cheesy

1 Like

Re: Why American Films Are Ridiculous. by SisiKill1: 5:04pm On Mar 11, 2012
Cygni: But i love them.  The price tag that is put on some hollywood films are incredible. What on earth will make a movie cost $250 million i e. 38b naira. Is that the real budget or is the figure inflated. I will like to know.
You know I too have wondered about this...why spend so much money on ageing technology re: Benjamin Button when they can slap chalk and charcoal on the actor's face ala Baba Suwe?

Why spend so much on special effects when they can use toy helicopter and interpose scenes from other films into their own film.

Why spend so much on writers, editors, directors when you can hire your wife's sister's husbands younger brothers third wife to do the job...she is an expert, after all she owns a netflix account.

Why hire professionals to compose scores that set the mood for your movies when you can play Dbanj's I love Big Yansh for every scene in the movie...even the sad scenes.

In short, why spend all that money when Nollywood has proven over and over and over again that all you need is $10 and an eager heart.

I've come to the conclusion that Hollywood is full of wastrels and they need lessons on how to spend money
Re: Why American Films Are Ridiculous. by SisiKill1: 5:05pm On Mar 11, 2012
Its official. . .I'm not a big fan of the new NL.
Re: Why American Films Are Ridiculous. by SisiKill1: 5:06pm On Mar 11, 2012
See above. . .or below. . .or whatever. undecided
Re: Why American Films Are Ridiculous. by Novice1(m): 5:45pm On Mar 11, 2012
The American, nay global film audience is so sophisticated and discerning that mere shooting of Drama (nollywood style) will not go anywhere on the world stage (I agree some west Africans "appreciate" nollywood. So to do real film production, u have to spend real money.

Take the example of James Cameron's "Titanic": He had to build a 3/4 scale model of the ship, construct a big water tank/ pool by the beach to accommodate the ship, hire hundreds of stunt men and even sponsor a research expedition to the depths where the original Titanic lay in the bowels of the North Atlantic, not to talk of restoring the prop Titanic to near-1912 decor, at times using actual items recovered from the original ship, and contacting actual companies that manufactured some of the items in 1912 (some of the companies were still in operation as at 1995-7, during the shooting of the film).

Thats how Oscars are won.
Re: Why American Films Are Ridiculous. by korrej(m): 6:53pm On Mar 11, 2012
They make huge budget and also make smiling profit... 'abeg audience dey wait for cinema tell dem say we go soon finish'- the wachowski brothers
Re: Why American Films Are Ridiculous. by Henry40: 7:39pm On Mar 11, 2012
From all I've gathered, for you,

Why American Films Are Ridiculous.
is because
The price tag that is put on some hollywood films are incredible.

Shall we commence?

1. The script: Unlike Nigerian movies where the director wakes up one morning and decides to make whatever crap he's thinking, in Hollywood things aren't done as such. Few movies are actually made by the same people who wrote them, and they have to impress the execs of a studio before the can give them such money and grant them the use of their facilities. Have you done a little research on how much script writers earn? By market value, good and proven script writers in Hollywood command an average of a seven digit paycheck {USD}.
2. Time: I remember, a few years ago CNN's then staff, Jeff Koinange did a piece on Nollywood on behalf of the CNN. A typical Nollywood movie takes about a month to start and finish. In hollywood, a movie can take years to even start, and it takes an average of one half of a year to complete. An established cinematographer earns between $500 and $800 a day (* 6 months = $90,000-$144,000). We aren't even talking about lightening, effects, etc.
3. Actors: Hollywood actors are The Best in the global industry (take it or leave it). Even a simply spectacular story needs a great actor, or it'll flop, but put a movie with an uninteresting plot in the hands of a spectacular actor and see how far it goes. Personally, I see nothing interesting about the movie Scarface but that movie still makes my list of best 10 movies of all time. Wanna know why? In the end, a spectacular actor commands a spectacular paycheck.

1 Like

Re: Why American Films Are Ridiculous. by Nobody: 8:13pm On Mar 11, 2012
How does one quote anothers comment ? This new Nairaland is whack.
I actually wanted to quote sisikill and I feel her comment is right on point and hilarious.
Re: Why American Films Are Ridiculous. by Nobody: 8:14pm On Mar 11, 2012
oh I see it , but it's still whack
Re: Why American Films Are Ridiculous. by Kingsley121(m): 8:32pm On Mar 11, 2012
Nollywood producers need to get back to their drawing board and get something more creative, but Nlers should see movies produced by our actors,like a 'desmond elliot and Emem Isong film', they are really moving the industry forward
Re: Why American Films Are Ridiculous. by donchido(m): 8:36pm On Mar 11, 2012
@blackboi...
i agree with u there all the way
Re: Why American Films Are Ridiculous. by fred2265: 8:52pm On Mar 11, 2012
This is too much a generalisation, there are some great American films and some poor ones. And it isn't always those with the big budgets that are best either.
Re: Why American Films Are Ridiculous. by jmoore(m): 9:21pm On Mar 11, 2012
Most of the money go to paying of salaries for cast and crew. Actors like Eddie Murphy,Carmon Diaz etc got $10m cheque for his vocal services in Shrek.
Re: Why American Films Are Ridiculous. by Impulse80(m): 10:30pm On Mar 11, 2012
Why compare a developing nation with a developed one? To what end?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Mortal Engines 2018 Dual Audio 720p Download / How Can I Open The Scrambled Channels On Eutelsat W3a / Get Your Next Movie Star Africa Form

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.