Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,377 members, 7,808,330 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:24 AM

Are High Mileage Cars Really That Bad? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Are High Mileage Cars Really That Bad? (34981 Views)

Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True / Accidented Or High Mileage Cars. Which Are Better? / Tips For Buying A High Mileage Car........must Read (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are High Mileage Cars Really That Bad? by olubainc: 2:43am On Mar 13, 2012
Buying a vehicle is a very important decision, several factors come into play when it comes the quality and the price of your vehicle. One of the factors that determine car price is the mileage. It is popular believe that a car with lower mileage is always better than that of a higher mileage hence the price of the lower mileage is always higher. To some extent this is true but not in all cases. A lower mileage car does not necessarily mean a better car. And here is my argument, you have an individual driving a car he bought brand new and drove it for 70,000 miles but never changed the brakes, shocks, suspension, filters etc. He uses the lowest grade petrol and does not necessarily change his oil on time. Compare that to a vehicle that has 120,000 miles on it, the brakes, shocks, suspension, filters etc were changed 10,000 miles ago. The previous owner changes the oil regularly and uses the highest quality petrol. Now in this case, the vehicles with 120,000 has better brakes, shocks and probably performs better. Now you can only take this argument to a certain extent, the wear and tear on a vehicle with 200,000 miles can not be compared to that with 70,000 miles. My point is that sometimes the mileage on a car is just numbers and cannot be used as the sole factor in determining how much you will pay for a car. To be fair, another aspect I need to address is the resale value whenever you intend to resell again. Obviously a lower mileage will be more attractive and will strongly determine how much you will end up getting for you vehicle. In conclusion, the mileage on a vehicle is an important indicator but not an accurate indicator of the quality and value of the vehicle. One more thing, if you plan on ordering a vehicle of substantial value, ensure to request for a carfax value. Common practice among some seller is to turn the mileage backwards, although this practice is illegal in the US, it hasn't stopped some dealers to turn the mileage back upon the arrival of the vehicle in Nigeria. Have a blessed and wonderful week.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are High Mileage Cars Really That Bad? by micklplus(m): 6:10am On Mar 13, 2012
I concur totally! Very valid points you made. A well maintained/serviced car, even with high mileage, is a good deal anytime anyday

2 Likes

Re: Are High Mileage Cars Really That Bad? by gulfer: 6:16am On Mar 13, 2012
You are right on this one. maintenance is key to either a low mileage or high mileage car. Terrain of use is also an important factor; compare a 70,000mile car in Nigeria with a 70,000 mile equal in the US.
Re: Are High Mileage Cars Really That Bad? by gulfer: 6:17am On Mar 13, 2012
You are right on this one. maintenance is key to either a low mileage or high mileage car. Terrain of use is also an important factor; compare a 70,000mile car in Nigeria with a 70,000 mile equal in the US.
Re: Are High Mileage Cars Really That Bad? by master2(m): 6:19am On Mar 13, 2012
@Poster. U are right maintaince is what should be how a car should be value. I bought a car of high mileage (225,000) and everything works perfectly. Almost one yr now am yet to do any major repairs.

3 Likes

Re: Are High Mileage Cars Really That Bad? by gulfer: 6:19am On Mar 13, 2012
Re: Are High Mileage Cars Really That Bad? by dohome: 7:10am On Mar 13, 2012
That statement is absolutely correct, because to service your car regularly as at when due will always put your car on the road and the performance is turbo charged!!
Re: Are High Mileage Cars Really That Bad? by eugoala(m): 7:41am On Mar 13, 2012
When proper maintenance culture Ȋ̝̊̅§ adhered  i̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ servicing ur vehiccles as @ when due,mileage should nt be taken into consideration.
Re: Are High Mileage Cars Really That Bad? by TRUCKMAN: 7:50am On Mar 13, 2012
I second the argument....maintainance is the key...
Re: Are High Mileage Cars Really That Bad? by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 8:00am On Mar 13, 2012
TRUCKMAN: I second the argument....maintainance is the key...

1 Like

Re: Are High Mileage Cars Really That Bad? by khalids: 8:00am On Mar 13, 2012
You've made a good point....But what you should note is that most people who buy second hand cars usually plan to sell off such cars in the future, hence one of the reasons why they would prefer a low mileage car.

For example I buy a car with a 40k mileage, use it for say 3 to 4yrs and in that time I add 40k mileage to it. Bringing the total mileage to around 80k. Selling the car will still be a lot easier and I would still be able to get a good price for it....

1 Like

Re: Are High Mileage Cars Really That Bad? by ogaibe1(m): 8:01am On Mar 13, 2012
Its unfortunate that when it comes to nigeria the whole ball game changes,even our so called professional dealers will rollback the mileage in order to sell at a higher value, but at the same time i dont know if i can justify that practice because we nigerians wants very nice cars but doesnt want to spend the appropriate money, secondly we rather buy a shining car without checking on the history of this car than if the truth is written about a car. I bought a car without even looking at it from california to new york all i saw is the picture i also used the carfax to look at the history before paying the appropriate price when the car came to nigeria a lot of people wanted to buy the car but couldnt even pay close to the shipment price. There are a lot of cheap buyers in nigeria so guess what we get what we deserve even the professional sellers.

1 Like

Re: Are High Mileage Cars Really That Bad? by Geebratah: 8:01am On Mar 13, 2012
I support you......
Re: Are High Mileage Cars Really That Bad? by calculusx(m): 8:15am On Mar 13, 2012
" we nigerians wants very nice cars but doesnt want to spend the appropriate money, secondly we rather buy a shining car without checking on the history of this car than if the truth is written about a car "

" There are a lot of cheap buyers in nigeria so guess what we get what we deserve even the professional sellers "

Most buyers don't know what to look out for when purchasing a Car. All they believe is low mileage and Clean Car but when you tell them the price, they label you with so many names telling you their neighbor got his own for so so amount. I think some buyers deserve what they got forgetting nothing good comes easy.

Maintenance is the Key
Re: Are High Mileage Cars Really That Bad? by FlyboyZee: 8:26am On Mar 13, 2012
In as much as I wish to agree with the OP, I beg to disagree.

The general assumption in buying a used car is based on Ceteris Paribus. The assumption that all things being equal, that is, it is assumed that all the cars are serviced and maintained as at and when due since the current buyer may not know the previous user and as such dealers prefer to use the mileage of the car to determine its wear and tear rather than its condition of use which could not be vouched for. I hope am making sense here.

Lets assume Seun bought a brand new 2000 model car in late 2000 and sparingly uses the car because he's always on NL trying to change its outlook and performance.lol. While Sienna bought a brand new 2011 model car in mid 2011, but he is an ibo chap that is always on the road for one business or the other 24/7.lol; and in 2012, the two cars were put up for sales at Inspire_Autos. Now let me say this: ceteris paribus, it would be assumed that Seun's car will have low mileage and very dispersed servicing record, while Sienna's car will have very high mileage and a tight servicing record. Now, a buyer, Olubainc may not have been privileged to know the service records of the two cars and as such may have to make a choice based on an assumption. Now to my question: If not the mileage, what should he use to determine the wear and tear of the car for which he is not privy to the service records? Please, bear in mind that Seun's car is a clean 2000 model with low mileage, while Sienna's car is a clean 2011 model with high mileage.

Keep the answers rolling as this man needs some education here.

1 Like

Re: Are High Mileage Cars Really That Bad? by xtgozie(m): 8:41am On Mar 13, 2012
Mazda 626, reg nos: CU 65 RBC Abuja, Engine nos: ES337836, Chassis nos: JMZGF14F201140747, Colour GOLD. Was stolen from my sister after she was kidnaped and d ransom paid.please to all the good people of Nigeria I ask to kindly note d above data and call 08189557442 if seen
.God bless
Re: Are High Mileage Cars Really That Bad? by Nobody: 9:11am On Mar 13, 2012
master2: @Poster. U are right maintaince is what should be how a car should be value. I bought a car of high mileage (225,000) and everything works perfectly. Almost one yr now am yet to do any major repairs.
OMG U get liver ohhhhhhhhh shocked
Re: Are High Mileage Cars Really That Bad? by hardbody: 9:49am On Mar 13, 2012
@ Flyboy

The mileage is the last thing i check. Now note a few important check points:

1. When the ignition is turned on, watch the lights on the dashboard, if they do not ALL go off within 3 seconds, teh engine is becoming weak
2. When teh engine is running, open the bonnet and place a finger lightly on engine casing (or whatever is directly on top of the engine) if your finger shakes at the least, the engine is also not very strong
3. Take a close look at the brake pedals, if it is slightly worn to the right, it is an indication that the vehicle had been driven in traffic situations (go-slow as we call it in 9ja)meaning that teh engine has suffered more than a car that could have done longer distances but on a smooth drive
4. Apply your weight to the shock absorber areas, if they bounce unecessarily, then the shocks are bad.
5. Finally, dont compromise test driving a car, it could possibly tell you a lot more in terms of alignment and balancing.

Let your auto technician also run some checks, but these simple body checks had helped me when i bought my first car in 2000 (Benz 200) at Cotonou. That car is still being driven today by a relation that i gave it out to.

I hope this helps

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are High Mileage Cars Really That Bad? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 10:27am On Mar 13, 2012
I am often suspicious of posts like this because tt is often used to sell used-cars that even the manufacturers have specifically stated concerns on parts and operational functionality beyond a certain mileage (age). Lately dealers have been touting used cars from 1999 with 130k-140k mileage as actually very good deal. HOW! if you said a 2007 car has 130K-140K mileageI can understand it was driven long-distance on good roads with a good repair-shop to maintain it.

Why would any honest dealer bring in a car that is first of all 15-20 years old with 130k Mileage and try to sell it off as a good deal What Gives!! grin It is not a Good Deal. Buyers beware. Why are OLD used cars with High Mileage sold very cheap? if they are such a good deal for Nigerians.

It is now a trend (ugly one) that dealers are touting 100K as the NEW LOW Mileage - Maybe I am missing a lot but avoid cars between 1999 and 2004 that have over 100k+ mileage. It will do well on American/Euro roads with good maintenance not Nigerian roads with dodgy mechanics - you are just asking to be cursed all year long. My Honest Opinion
Re: Are High Mileage Cars Really That Bad? by omar22(m): 10:43am On Mar 13, 2012
This is how I see it….

In Europe the Insurance Company thinks that an average car owner who doesn’t drive to work would rack up around 5k miles a year, double that to 10k miles a year. I use to be wary about the high mileage but then I realised that most diesel engine cars have a very high mileage because the diesel engine are stronger than petrol engine cars. 95% of the cars that they use to drive from one country to another country in Europe are a diesel engine car that’s why they tend to have a very mileage, ex company cars also do have high mileage but they are well maintained by professionals but you don’t want to purchase a car that was used as a cab or taxi! They have sucked every inch of its life out of the car. I could remember in the 90’s so many Nigerians bought Mercedes 190, 230e, 250 or 200 (the typical V-boot) from Germany or Belgium, countries that uses these models as taxi’s by the time they get to Nigeria within a 6 months and a year they started developing problems. This is what you get when you ask someone to buy the car for you, they know where to get them cheap mostly car auctions!
Re: Are High Mileage Cars Really That Bad? by goldincome(m): 10:46am On Mar 13, 2012
Mazda 626, reg nos: CU 65 RBC Abuja, Engine nos: ES337836, Chassis nos: JMZGF14F201140747, Colour GOLD. Was stolen from my sister after she was kidnaped and d ransom paid.please to all the good people of Nigeria I ask to kindly note d above data and call 08189557442 if seen
.God bless

Sorry for the loss. If we see it, we will lets you know.

Thats why you need to install vehicle tracker in your car.
Read more about it on Nairaland here: https://www.nairaland.com/690331/automated-vehicle-tracking-system-protect
Re: Are High Mileage Cars Really That Bad? by hardbody: 10:51am On Mar 13, 2012
@ Flyboy

The mileage is the last thing i check. Now note a few important check points:

1. When the ignition is turned on, watch the lights on the dashboard, if they do not ALL go off within 3 seconds, teh engine is becoming weak
2. When teh engine is running, open the bonnet and place a finger lightly on engine casing (or whatever is directly on top of the engine) if your finger shakes at the least, the engine is also not very strong
3. Take a close look at the brake pedals, if it is slightly worn to the right, it is an indication that the vehicle had been driven in traffic situations (go-slow as we call it in 9ja)meaning that teh engine has suffered more than a car that could have done longer distances but on a smooth drive
4. Apply your weight to the shock absorber areas, if they bounce unecessarily, then the shocks are bad.
5. Finally, dont compromise test driving a car, it could possibly tell you a lot more in terms of alignment and balancing.

Let your auto technician also run some checks, but these simple body checks had helped me when i bought my first car in 2000 (Benz 200) at Cotonou. That car is still being driven today by a relation that i gave it out to.

I hope this helps
Re: Are High Mileage Cars Really That Bad? by Cdemian: 11:11am On Mar 13, 2012
I urgently need a CAR of 150-250k for a taxi. Call/sms 08063828269
Re: Are High Mileage Cars Really That Bad? by Baawaa(m): 11:41am On Mar 13, 2012
.God bless

Have you report at the nearest police station.And can make radio announcement.
Re: Are High Mileage Cars Really That Bad? by Krucifax(m): 11:41am On Mar 13, 2012
Mileage of a vehicle is absolutely crucial! It's most times the sole determining factor for price when other things have been taken into consideration.
A car buyer would normally consider the following:

1.Manufacturer: A Mercedes Benz E Class with 80K Miles is also more reliable than say a Honda with 80K Miles on the clock.

2.Model: A BMW 3 series from 2000 upwards is more reliable than one before 2000 both with 80K Miles on the clock.

3.Service History :This is common sense.Never buy a car without a log book. A car might have only 10k Miles on the clock,but if it
has been involved in a major accident with subsequent refurbishment,it will never be thesame again. Also these tells you if it has been maintained properly. Also with servicing the log book tells you what has or hasn't been changed and therefore needing repairs.

4.Previous Owners: Knowing how many previous owners the car has had is important.In Nigeria this might be hard to ascertain but it is also crucial. This not only helps determine the value,it can help you determine if the seller is lying about mileage. If the car is imported ther are many websites you can use to check previous owners. Also it should be listed on the car documentation.

5.Test Drive: This is an absolute must!!If you don't do any of the above you MUST test drive a car before you buy! If it's your first car and you are not sure what to look out for,take a mechanic with you. He MUST[/b]not be your regular mechanic as it will be in his interest for you to buy a dodgy car.
Tips for test driving are:
i.Start engine "yourself"from cold.
Does engine start or does it reguire your pressing ascelerator first to push fuel throught the carburetor?
Y.Sign of dodgy battery or faulty carburetor or faulty injection system.
ii.When engine is running does the exhaust smoke excessively?
Y.Sign of poor engine oil usage or damaged gasket.
iii.When driving do you hear metallic grinding noise when you brake? And is break time delayed?
Y.Faulty brake pad and or gear box(very serious)
iv.How does engine sound,does it rev up n down on it's own?
Y.Old engine with serious wear.

And to answer OP [b]YES
High Mileage cars are a bad idea if you are buying a car you wish to enjoy for some years. I have owned 3 cars in my time from Naija to Europe and i would never touch a car above 70-80K Miles!!!!
Re: Are High Mileage Cars Really That Bad? by purefella(m): 11:42am On Mar 13, 2012
Either low mileage or High mileage it doesn't matter at all auto dealers are committing odometer fraud freely in this country . they reduce mileage of their vehicles to get better price for it
Re: Are High Mileage Cars Really That Bad? by DidiLove1: 12:57pm On Mar 13, 2012
shocked shocked shocked shocked
Flyboy Zee: In as much as I wish to agree with the OP, I beg to disagree.

The general assumption in buying a used car is based on Ceteris Paribus. The assumption that all things being equal, that is, it is assumed that all the cars are serviced and maintained as at and when due since the current buyer may not know the previous user and as such dealers prefer to use the mileage of the car to determine its wear and tear rather than its condition of use which could not be vouched for. I hope am making sense here.

Lets assume Seun bought a brand new 2000 model car in late 2000 and sparingly uses the car because he's always on NL trying to change its outlook and performance.lol. While Sienna bought a brand new 2011 model car in mid 2011, but he is an ibo chap that is always on the road for one business or the other 24/7.lol; and in 2012, the two cars were put up for sales at Inspire_Autos. Now let me say this: ceteris paribus, it would be assumed that Seun's car will have low mileage and very dispersed servicing record, while Sienna's car will have very high mileage and a tight servicing record. Now, a buyer, Olubainc may not have been privileged to know the service records of the two cars and as such may have to make a choice based on an assumption. Now to my question: If not the mileage, what should he use to determine the wear and tear of the car for which he is not privy to the service records? Please, bear in mind that Seun's car is a clean 2000 model with low mileage, while Sienna's car is a clean 2011 model with high mileage.

Keep the answers rolling as this man needs some education here.

For the love of me, i thot Sienna was Urhobo!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are High Mileage Cars Really That Bad? by omar22(m): 1:35pm On Mar 13, 2012
purefella: Either low mileage or High mileage it doesn't matter at all auto dealers are committing odometer fraud freely in this country . they reduce mileage of their vehicles to get better price for it

Then you use common sense.... a 12 years old car at an average of 10k miles a year gives you around 120k miles... so if you see a car year 2000 and all of a sudden its showing around 80k on the clock then theirs a chance that its been tampared

1 Like

Re: Are High Mileage Cars Really That Bad? by dayokanu(m): 5:39pm On Mar 13, 2012
Like its said everything is considered "All things being equal"

There might be situations that make a 30yr old car better than a brand new (e.g factory defect)

When buying cars, there is usually no way you can ascertain the maintenance unless it was done regularly with car dealers.

In every country in the world, mileage are legit ways to determine prices of cars and their reliability

Then when it comes to mileage, there is a difference between in-city miles and highway miles. Highway miles are less harmful

An average car in the US does 10-15k miles a year so when you have buyers in Nigeria trying to buy a 2003 EOD (Almost 10yrs old but want that with less than 40k miles then you are courting rollback miles cars

A friend once told me there is a used CRV 2007 in Lagos and has 8,000 miles on it. I just knew that was a lie.

A car with 8k miles is almost as good as new.

Does the buyer in America just bought the car and was admiring it in the garage without driving it?
Re: Are High Mileage Cars Really That Bad? by Piyke: 7:32pm On Mar 13, 2012
lagerwhenindoubt: I am often suspicious of posts like this because tt is often used to sell used-cars that even the manufacturers have specifically stated concerns on parts and operational functionality beyond a certain mileage (age). Lately dealers have been touting used cars from 1999 with 130k-140k mileage as actually very good deal. HOW! if you said a 2007 car has 130K-140K mileageI can understand it was driven long-distance on good roads with a good repair-shop to maintain it.

Why would any honest dealer bring in a car that is first of all 15-20 years old with 130k Mileage and try to sell it off as a good deal What Gives!! grin It is not a Good Deal. Buyers beware. Why are OLD used cars with High Mileage sold very cheap? if they are such a good deal for Nigerians.

It is now a trend (ugly one) that dealers are touting 100K as the NEW LOW Mileage - Maybe I am missing a lot but avoid cars between 1999 and 2004 that have over 100k+ mileage. It will do well on American/Euro roads with good maintenance not Nigerian roads with dodgy mechanics - you are just asking to be cursed all year long. My Honest Opinion

Well from experience I agree with the @PO but disagree on your point. I got 2003 EOD with 153k while a relative of mine got a 2003 camry with about 80k. My EOD has been in top notch condition for over 2 years now. Infact my mechanic always calls it machine. Runs silently, drips H2O from exhaust cheesy and no real repairs asides brake pads etc normal wear and tear. On the other hand, My relative has done some major repairs on his lower mileage camry. Previous service history and test drive by a good mechanic are the most essential.
Re: Are High Mileage Cars Really That Bad? by purefella(m): 12:49am On Mar 14, 2012
@omar i don't have common sense why don't you give me some mtcheewww do you think it's everybody that's educated about what you said in your reply , most people just open the big eyes in the skull to look at the odometer readings without calculating anything , their should be a law against it
Re: Are High Mileage Cars Really That Bad? by master2(m): 8:30am On Mar 14, 2012
Ijogz K: OMG U get liver ohhhhhhhhh shocked
U wan try! But the car dey serve me wella. No major repairs only change oil n fan.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Does A Car Consume More Fuel When The AC Is On HI Than On LO / 8 Of The Most Luxurious Cars In The World / See The Number Of Vehicles On Nigerian Roads

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.