Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,996 members, 7,806,897 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:34 AM

You Should Resign If Your Employer Is Doing Bad Things - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / You Should Resign If Your Employer Is Doing Bad Things (4948 Views)

Photos Of My Office And Why I May Resign To Pursue My Music Career / ... Was Sacked For Not Dancing To 'shake Body'... Now An Employer Of Labour / What Does It Mean If Your Employer Is Advertising For Your Position (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

You Should Resign If Your Employer Is Doing Bad Things by Naijacareerist: 4:36pm On Mar 14, 2012
Many Nigerians face unethical situations daily. Nigerian companies are involved in all types of unethical business practices from bribing customers, sexual harassment in the workplace environment, state laws being violated, and so forth. I remember during one of the panels at the Harvard African Business Conference one of the panelists spoke about taking some unethical actions because in her eyes it was a necessary evil. Funny enough someone from the audience rose and gave a counter argument to the panelist statement arguing, “Africans of the new generation cannot give in to the notion of bribing because we will never grow from our past”.

Many Nigerians continue to talk about unethical practices they witness, but yet are the same ones to be right in the mix. What makes you different from the manager that gave a bribe to secure a contract when you were right in the room during the transaction? As an employee when is it time to part ways and say enough is enough? I believe it’s a difficult situation to face on, but as more of us turn away from the mentality of “business as usual” Nigerian companies will have no choice but to strive to become more ethical sound.

This morning a former executive, Greg Smith at Goldman Sachs wrote an Op-ed piece on New York Times about his resignation from the premier investment banking firm. Greg Smith decided to resign not because of age or lack of promotion, but simply because he felt ethically he could not work for the company any longer. I was so inspired by his courage to speak up against Goldman Sachs because being in such a top position it is hard to face the harsh reality that you are work environment forces you to cross unethical boundaries.

In ideal world the CEO of the company should model ethical behavior, but realistically that is not the case. If you feel your values no longer align with the company then do not be afraid to leave the organization. In the end you are doing yourself a disservice if you continue working for a company that does not live up to the ethical code you stand for. I applaud Greg Smith for telling us the unfiltered truth and hope we can learn a valuable lesson from his courageous move.

Via Naija Careerist: Working In An Unethical Environment: A Lesson From Greg Smith's Resignation At Goldman Sachs

2 Likes

Re: You Should Resign If Your Employer Is Doing Bad Things by doofanc: 10:18pm On Mar 14, 2012
Na ethics i in chop abi?

The above can only work were unemployment benefits exisit.
Re: You Should Resign If Your Employer Is Doing Bad Things by Nobody: 10:26pm On Mar 14, 2012
The reason is basically fear.
Fear of the unknown if they quit their job.
Fear of not knowing where the next cheque will come from.
This fear is easily doubled if this employee is a family man with children/pregnant wife/etc.
It is times like these that are very easy to forget God/church/etc and act like you saw nothing.

Thing is though, when someone sacrifices themselves for righteousness's sake, God always takes note. And that action will always be rewarded.
These are just one of the many tests God allows us to face everyday to give us the chance to truly act out what we sing at church every sunday. i.e O Lord, you are my provider, I depend on you. . . etc etc etc.
But most people, even if they are avid-church-goers, often fail these tests to prove their belief in God's existence and that HE is their source, not their jobs.

. . . Narrow truly is the way.
May God give us the strength to walk in His will.

3 Likes

Re: You Should Resign If Your Employer Is Doing Bad Things by impish: 10:28pm On Mar 14, 2012
I totally agree with you OP. These days, unethical behavior in companies has become the norm. Our moral compasses are rapidly shifting. The list of these practices is endless. Gosh! Whilst relatively new to the corporate world in Nigeria, I have fast learnt that it is near impossible to find a company devoid of this behavior. Heck, if Goldman can be accused of unethical practices, then who can't?

I recently resigned from my post at my former company because of this. Whilst I will not go as far as Greg in naming and shaming, I just refuse, as a matter of principle, to participate in or contribute to any such activities. I just felt that if I stayed, then I would be just as guilty as my bosses and other company staff. Everyday for the thief, one day for the owner, eh?

I know that taking a stand is usually costly to whoever does so, but for me, it is the only way that I can sleep well at night. The day I resigned was the happiest day of my life. I felt lighter, like a huuge weight had been lifted off of me.

May God give us the courage to take a stand, to do the right thing, at whatever personal cost to us.

2 Likes

Re: You Should Resign If Your Employer Is Doing Bad Things by impish: 10:36pm On Mar 14, 2012
doofanc: Na ethics i in chop abi?

The above can only work were unemployment benefits exisit.

Im not sure about that. Sometimes, by staying put in such companies, one may find themselves involved in a criminal investigation years or months down the line. I have heard of accountants at companies being jailed for crimes the bosses committed, which they may or may not have even known about. These days, most accountants try to cover their behinds by keeping copies of mails, memos and instructions that go through their desks.

If given the choice, 2months unemployment whilst searching for a new job after resigning from a morally corrupt organisation, or 10 years in jail, I would choose the former. I choose life. At least, I come out with my integrity, self respect and pride intact.
Re: You Should Resign If Your Employer Is Doing Bad Things by tanimola22: 11:21pm On Mar 14, 2012
Naijacareerist: Many Nigerians face unethical situations daily. Nigerian companies are involved in all types of unethical business practices from bribing customers, sexual harassment in the workplace environment, state laws being violated, and so forth. I remember during one of the panels at the Harvard African Business Conference one of the panelists spoke about taking some unethical actions because in her eyes it was a necessary evil. Funny enough someone from the audience rose and gave a counter argument to the panelist statement arguing, “Africans of the new generation cannot give in to the notion of bribing because we will never grow from our past”.

Many Nigerians continue to talk about unethical practices they witness, but yet are the same ones to be right in the mix. What makes you different from the manager that gave a bribe to secure a contract when you were right in the room during the transaction? As an employee when is it time to part ways and say enough is enough? I believe it’s a difficult situation to face on, but as more of us turn away from the mentality of “business as usual” Nigerian companies will have no choice but to strive to become more ethical sound.

This morning a former executive, [b]Greg Smit[/b]h at Goldman Sachs wrote an Op-ed piece on New York Times about his resignation from the premier investment banking firm. Greg Smith decided to resign not because of age or lack of promotion, but simply because he felt ethically he could not work for the company any longer. I was so inspired by his courage to speak up against Goldman Sachs because being in such a top position it is hard to face the harsh reality that you are work environment forces you to cross unethical boundaries.

In ideal world the CEO of the company should model ethical behavior, but realistically that is not the case. If you feel your values no longer align with the company then do not be afraid to leave the organization. In the end you are doing yourself a disservice if you continue working for a company that does not live up to the ethical code you stand for. I applaud Greg Smith for telling us the unfiltered truth and hope we can learn a valuable lesson from his courageous move.

Via Naija Careerist: Working In An Unethical Environment: A Lesson From Greg Smith's Resignation At Goldman Sachs

Your submission makes a whole lot of sense, no doubt. However, Greg is not a good example here. Did he relinquish all the huge bonuses he was paid over the years? While I applaud his decision, I believe the reason for his resignation did not become known to him today. Why did he dine with the big demons for so long? This guy has been rising at Goldman for many years, why did he not resign long before now? It is abundantly evident that he has nothing to lose by resigning. We all know that he has amassed a lot of wealth over the years, and we all also know that he will be a huge hotcake if he decides to head back to Cape Town or Joburg. Until his resignation, this guy was just a level below our dear Agangan. I don´t think his resignation is that much of a big deal. If he were such an upright person, he would have dissociated himself from the demons long before now. This is exactly how I see it. No need coming to open mouth after you have benefited from the demons.

T22.

2 Likes

Re: You Should Resign If Your Employer Is Doing Bad Things by yamakuza: 11:27pm On Mar 14, 2012
^ Better late than never grin !

I get your point though.
Re: You Should Resign If Your Employer Is Doing Bad Things by Nobody: 11:45pm On Mar 14, 2012
tanimola22:

Your submission makes a whole lot of sense, no doubt. However, Greg is not a good example here. Did he relinquish all the huge bonuses he was paid over the years? While I applaud his decision, I believe the reason for his resignation did not become known to him today. Why did he dine with the big demons for so long? This guy has been rising at Goldman for many years, why did he not resign long before now? It is abundantly evident that he has nothing to lose by resigning. We all know that he has amassed a lot of wealth over the years, and we all also know that he will be a huge hotcake if he decides to head back to Cape Town or Joburg. Until his resignation, this guy was just a level below our dear Agangan. I don´t think his resignation is that much of a big deal. If he were such an upright person, he would have dissociated himself from the demons long before now. This is exactly how I see it. No need coming to open mouth after you have benefited from the demons.

T22.

Well then, I'm thankful you're not God. cheesy cheesy cheesy
This one that you are still judging the man for having chosen to finally walk a more righteous path.
Re: You Should Resign If Your Employer Is Doing Bad Things by Adey09(m): 11:59pm On Mar 14, 2012
Yes, Nigerians face many unethical situations daily and our company and our companies are involved in other unethical practices, while I agree with the poster in saying we should resign, I want to shed more light on some issues too.
I want to admit that one should avoid being involved in any unethical pratices eg bribing, intimate harassment and other less than good vices which easily corrodes ones integrity , forthrighteness and character
Furthermore,one would not have any moral justification to defends ones integrity , especially when one later rises up to condemn it because people will say words like were you not there too, didnt we share it together etc
Nevertheless, as Nigerians, we all know the prayer and fasting and even the number of strategic night vigils we attended before we got that Sacred Job, so do you really think it is easy to just carry Pen and paper and tender ones resignation like that ,am sure it cant because one will always cook up words like I no the wahala wey I do b4 I even get job na, so to butress my point lets take a close look at the Nigeria Police Force, for every Police that collects 20 naira , we can all point out many others that dont give, take ,receive and even partake in the sharing,so did they tender their Resignation ?, No am sure it wont be easy for them as their friend will laugh and even jeer them for their faith, Or where will they get another job as quickly as possible to Buy Bread, Petrol, Gala, Pay your children School fees and meet other ends meet , so we can all see that Though Resignation is good , it may not necessarily be the best and safest option, at least a Popular adage even says Ogun Orififo ko ni kaberi, meaning, whether the cure for headache is the severance of the head, which to me seems impulsive and Irrational,
Furthermore, for that Goldman sachs, that resigns , do we all Really believe ,He will just Resign like that , pwithout even a Back up plan, am sure he will only be a righteous person, but he is also calculating ,coolheaded and even more a Master planner, so we can then rightly say he must have been planning it for more than two years,( abi se 'decade' ni ka pe ni) Yes, I really mean Even 10 years ,
and then for those who live in the western world especially USA, Britain , Germany, Canada... He is likely to write a Book or lets call it his Memoirs, of course Publishers would literally be chasing him, which will earn him thousands of Dollars , if not Millions sef, dont U all think he is wise ?
In conclusion, Yes, your conscience cant take it, so resign , but if you will resign have a Backup plan o, dont go and sit at home, think of ur wife, ur children , school fees etc and lastly Pray very well too. Half a word is just enough for the wise
Re: You Should Resign If Your Employer Is Doing Bad Things by tanimola22: 12:41am On Mar 15, 2012
@Adey09,

I completely follow your path of reasoning, and that was exactly why I earlier said Greg wasn't a good example. The act of resignation, in itself, is honorable. But the doer in this case, well, I have my reservations. If you have been following global financial trends, you would know that Goldman hasn't really changed that much over the years. They are the demons we have known them to be. The only thing that has changed is people's perception of them, and it is this change of perception that led Mr. Greg to hand in his resignation. I suspect he has decided to turn a new leaf. grin

It is not news that investment banking is a dog eat dog profession, especially at a place like Goldman and other BB. Even the interviewing process alone will give you a hint. It can only be news to someone who has consciously or unconsciously paid closed eyes to this fact over the years. Do you know the pathetically unethical behaviors that many of these multinational oil companies in Naija have exhibited over the past years? I cannot even begin to list them. From Haliburton to Shell, the list goes own. Yet many people in Nigeria are ready to give up their legs to work for these companies. cry

My point is, while I believe it is great to be upright and to stand for the truth, voluntary resignation is really not very easy in a place like Naija. I mean, will you help me feed my 5 children, wife, younger brother, mother, father, and so on if I suddenly resign from a very lucrative job just because some persons in the organization are dubious?

1 Like

Re: You Should Resign If Your Employer Is Doing Bad Things by ayobase(m): 12:59am On Mar 15, 2012
We share d same belief,but this is not gonna work in Nigeria where unemplyment ravages like fire in a dry bush!
Resign and never get employed?
Hmmmm!
We need to put things into place before that can be embraced!
Everyman to himself.
My Boss being unethical doesnt make me one!

Naijacareerist: Many Nigerians face unethical situations daily. Nigerian companies are involved in all types of unethical business practices from bribing customers, sexual harassment in the workplace environment, state laws being violated, and so forth. I remember during one of the panels at the Harvard African Business Conference one of the panelists spoke about taking some unethical actions because in her eyes it was a necessary evil. Funny enough someone from the audience rose and gave a counter argument to the panelist statement arguing, “Africans of the new generation cannot give in to the notion of bribing because we will never grow from our past”.

This morning a former executive, Greg Smith at Goldman Sachs wrote an Op-ed piece on New York Times about his resignation from the premier investment banking firm. Greg Smith decided to resign not because of age or lack of promotion, but simply because he felt ethically he could not work for the company any longer. I was so inspired by his courage to speak up against Goldman Sachs because being in such a top position it is hard to face the harsh reality that you are work environment forces you to cross unethical boundaries.

Re: You Should Resign If Your Employer Is Doing Bad Things by Adey09(m): 6:09am On Mar 15, 2012
Yes, Tanimola 22 , we tow the same line and Thanks for further reminder on Corruption sagas like Haliburtons, Shell and you also rightly said all oil companies are guilty of bastardizing our environment
and for now, Retiring cannot work in Nigeria.
Even look at all those investment companies, I remember when we have all become suspicious of buying shares in banks,
From 2006 till when Sanusi came on Board, I can remember every seminar, career talks I attended, always telling us to go and buy more shares, they will say and I quote " Nigerian Youths save your money , buy shares , we always reply that we' ve bought, they will say Buy more, the more shares you buy the more your chances of getting rich. is that so ?
Even this magazine, is it success digest, they will show us the best financial gurus on shares in Nigeria urging us , pleading with us to buy shares not knowing that they were just deceiving us, a o ma se o
Nigeria is Totally bad and corrupt
Now where are they now ? Immediately Sanusi came on Board and exposed their dirty yansh, they all dissappeared , fizzled out. My point is they all knew the true situation about the Nigerian economy , despite the cover up advertisement of Akingbola and Ibru , but they didnt stand for the truth.
Re: You Should Resign If Your Employer Is Doing Bad Things by Afam4eva(m): 6:59am On Mar 15, 2012
God punish ethics. Who f-ing cares about ethos when there is money to be made.
Re: You Should Resign If Your Employer Is Doing Bad Things by joanana(f): 12:05pm On Mar 15, 2012
Hmm..... Resign ke? angry cos my employer is bad? shocked If he is doing bad things, that's his problem not mine. I will do my job and get paid for it. My advice is never resign from ur present job when u don't ve another by the side to sustain you. It is not easy to stay home when u resign. Be patient cos u know u wont be there for long!!! wink
Re: You Should Resign If Your Employer Is Doing Bad Things by Passionplus: 2:21pm On Mar 15, 2012
what he did is commendable and anyone can do it if we are less afraid and trust GOD to provide for us.It is always good to have an exit plan in place when joining any company.Except you are directly in the line of fire(involved in the unethical practices), then you may have to abandon your plan for 'consciense sake'.But if you are not,then follow your plan.Having a plan gives you the freedom to decide how long to work for, for whom and especially makes avery job a stepping stone to becoming what you are meant to be.So you do not neccessarily hold on to it as if your entire life depends on it even when it doesn't.
Re: You Should Resign If Your Employer Is Doing Bad Things by anonimi: 2:49pm On Mar 15, 2012
Not in Nigeria where employers owe their staff salaries for many months and still expect them to show up for the oga's owambe parties
Or he owes them 7 months salary and gives them xmas/year end gifts worth 10% of their unpaid monthly salary for which they start hailing her as a good boss!
Re: You Should Resign If Your Employer Is Doing Bad Things by buJu234: 3:10pm On Mar 15, 2012
Please OP...

i beg u in God`s name; this is Nigeria; where the real principles dont wk here.

thats why d shell; chevron etc when they come here must b corrupt 4 them to survive here..

so dont think abt resigning because of one ethical stuff;

i have seen companies where the MD sleeps
with the female staffs ( weather married or not) and they still stay because he pays them over 150k per mth.
the day one of them decided to resign; come and see more than 10 beautiful babes (graduate; Msc etc) who were lining up to sleep
with the man in other to feel that post.

u either take it or leave it... thats the situation Nigeria is oo....

someone took his former employer to court 4 laying him off for no reason; without anything like pay off etc after working 4 over 10yrs with the
employer to build the company; do u knw that the employer won the case.

and if u re a family man bros u have to think not twice but more than twice b4 u drop that letter to resign ooo
Re: You Should Resign If Your Employer Is Doing Bad Things by tanimola22: 6:03pm On Mar 15, 2012
buJu-234:
Please OP...

i beg u in God`s name; this is Nigeria; where the real principles dont wk here.

thats why d shell; chevron etc when they come here must b corrupt 4 them to survive here..

so dont think abt resigning because of one ethical stuff;

i[b] have seen companies where the MD sleeps
with the female staffs ( weather married or not) and they still stay because he pays them over 150k per mth.
the day one of them decided to resign; come and see more than 10 beautiful babes (graduate; Msc etc) who were lining up to sleep
with the man in other to feel that post.[/b]

u either take it or leave it... thats the situation Nigeria is oo....

someone took his former employer to court 4 laying him off for no reason; without anything like pay off etc after working 4 over 10yrs with the
employer to build the company; do u knw that the employer won the case.

and if u re a family man bros u have to think not twice but more than twice b4 u drop that letter to resign ooo

LMAO LOL...Do they carry out the show in public? Do the MDs announce that if you want work, oya come and be nice to me?

The said Greg knows that his career in finance is dented for life. He has plans B, C,....., Z. His case is 10^34 times better than the case of 99.999% high earning workers in Nigeria. Do you guys have an idea of the contacts and pay he has made over 10-12 years? Don´t you guys think he did that to win some upright clients so that they can patronize him when he eventually lunches his own financial outfit? Or do people think he just woke up yesterday and said he wanted to resign. hahaha.
Re: You Should Resign If Your Employer Is Doing Bad Things by niddamugu(m): 6:25pm On Mar 15, 2012
This is book knowledge. Practically, it does not work in Nigeria. Show me an employer in this country who is totally "clean". I know this is very controversial. Our politicians, despite all their loot sorry money, still want to die in office. Why don't they resign even when confronted with obvious fraud? This is Nigeria! Even Adam Smith will agree that some social principles cannot work here. Nigeria is unique!

(1) (Reply)

Career Advice For Women / History Of Nairaland (SEUN) / You Can Start With A Low Paying Job

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.