Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,479 members, 7,808,748 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:17 PM

Rover! Rover! Rover! - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Rover! Rover! Rover! (11506 Views)

Leaked Images Of the 2014 Range Rover Sport / Leaked Pictures - 2013 Range Rover / Overheating In Rover 75 V6 2.5 Liter Engine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rover! Rover! Rover! by Easybaby(f): 7:55am On Oct 29, 2007
Guys,

pls, kindly tell me all about ROVER CAR . . . .I'm about to purchase one that was just cleared from the port.

Is this car as good as Honda cars? Is it reliable? Is it cost effective? Is the spare parts readily available?

Is the body strong? etc . . .

pls your advice is highly needed. I will appreciate your contributions grin
Re: Rover! Rover! Rover! by Nobody: 8:09am On Oct 29, 2007
@ Easy: Hmm, certain models of Rover are prone to cylinder head gasket failure.

This applied to all models fitted with the K-series engine. Models included:

1) Rover 200
2) Rover 400
3) Rover 600
4) Rover 800
5) MGF
6) Land Rover Freelander

Let me know exactly what model you're looking to buy, i.e model designation, engine size / type, year of manufacture.

At least once a month, I get to carry out repairs on 1 or more of these cars, the MGF being the most awkward, due to it's mid-engine configuration. In extreme cases, the engine / cylinder head has gotten so hot, there have been cracked lines (the block is all alloy, with steel liners). Expensive.

Much improved on the following models:

1) Rover 25
2) Rover 45
3) Rover 75

Rover went bust 3 years ago, there are no dealerships in the UK anymore, not sure how things are in Nigeria. Parts are still plentiful though.
Re: Rover! Rover! Rover! by Nobody: 8:13am On Oct 29, 2007
The Honda-engined versions were good, not as good as Honda in corrosion problems, but mechanically, reliability wasn't a problem.

How to identify Honda-engined cars:

With the bonnet open, and you standing facing the car, the transmission would be on the left, while the engine drive belts / pulleys would be on the right. With Rover-engined cars, it's the reverse. As I said, this is with you standing facing the car.
Re: Rover! Rover! Rover! by Easybaby(f): 8:30am On Oct 29, 2007
@siena, thanks so much for that info. As you said, I will try and know the model and the engine type
Re: Rover! Rover! Rover! by Nobody: 8:31am On Oct 29, 2007
@ Easy: No worries, take care. smiley
Re: Rover! Rover! Rover! by Easybaby(f): 9:57am On Oct 29, 2007
@siena, this is the info about the ROVER:

Year of manufacture:1994

model: 827

engine type: Rover- engined

thanks grin
Re: Rover! Rover! Rover! by Nobody: 10:36am On Oct 29, 2007
@ Easy: Avoid those Rover V6-engined cars like the plague!

I believe this is the Rover Sterling / Vitesse. Was an absolute flop over here, there are hardly any left alive.
Re: Rover! Rover! Rover! by Easybaby(f): 11:07am On Oct 29, 2007
siena, thanks a lot . . .I was having a double mind earlier

But what can you say about Honda Hall, bullet and bulldog . . .I like those cars also.
Re: Rover! Rover! Rover! by Nobody: 11:14am On Oct 29, 2007
Honda are good cars, reliable, though very uninvolving to drive.
Re: Rover! Rover! Rover! by showbobo(m): 6:14pm On Oct 29, 2007
@SIENA

you're such a genius, how do you get to know all this?
Re: Rover! Rover! Rover! by omotoda(m): 4:50am On Oct 30, 2007
oga siena u are a genius oooooooo

please wat can u say about A bmw 1995 model 318i series.?

just got one
Re: Rover! Rover! Rover! by Sunnyjean(m): 6:18pm On Oct 30, 2007
pls im also considering Rover 620 or 623, what do u think
Re: Rover! Rover! Rover! by Nobody: 7:00pm On Oct 30, 2007
omotoda:

oga siena u are a genius oooooooo
please what can u say about A bmw 1995 model 318i series.?
just got one

1995 BMW 318i will be the 8V engine. Designation will be M40B18.

It's an early engine  carried over from the E30 series cars.

On a 1995 car, if it's a 16V version, it will be the better M44 series, changes were better cylinder head design, and changes were also made to the camshaft profiles to make the motor smoother, and more responsive from low speeds. The full engine designation was M44B19. Although the model "318i" would suggest it's a 1.8, it's actually a 1.9-16V, and SHOULD be badged 318iS as a saloon or coupe. If a compact, it'll be badged 318Ti.

The M44 1.9 litre 4 cylinder engine is actually a newer design than the 2.0 6 cylinder (M50B20)

From experience, the 318i is sluggish, and will require more throttle opening to cruise at a decent speed, (it is a heavy car) and only produces 115hp. It's thirstier than the 318iS.

I would personally go for the 318iS, unless you've already purchased the 318i. The 318iS 16V motor makes 140hp, and cruises a lot better than the 318 8V, and returns better mpg. In terms of reliability, both engines are good.
Re: Rover! Rover! Rover! by Nobody: 7:13pm On Oct 30, 2007
Sunnyjean:

please im also considering Rover 620 or 623, what do u think
A few early 620's used Rover K-series engines, and should be avoided. From 1994 onwards though, the 620 was only available with the excellent Honda unit, and should present no problems, if looked after.

The 618 / 623 used Honda engines from the very beginning, and are also reliable. My choice however, will be between the 620 and 623. 618 is painfully slow.

Bear in mind though, the Rover 600 series is essentially a re-badged Honda Accord, but resale values will be way down compared to the equivalent Honda model.
Re: Rover! Rover! Rover! by omotoda(m): 9:36pm On Oct 30, 2007
@siena
tnx for the info.How doi know if it is a 318SI.ALLI KNOW IS THAT IT IS SMALL ENGINE, FOUR CYLINDERS AND IT IS INJECTOR
Re: Rover! Rover! Rover! by Nobody: 10:05pm On Oct 30, 2007
omotoda:

@siena
tnx for the info.How doi know if it is a 318SI.ALLI KNOW IS THAT IT IS SMALL ENGINE, FOUR CYLINDERS AND IT IS INJECTOR

If it's just badged "318i", then it'll be an 8V engine.

If badged "318iS", then it'll be a 16V engine.

The 16V models have a much wider cylinder head, and the spark plugs will be in the middle, while the 8V models will have the spark plugs to one side of the cylinder head. They'll be on the left of the cylinder head, as you face the car.
Re: Rover! Rover! Rover! by Easybaby(f): 7:40am On Oct 31, 2007
@siena . . .you are too much grin

Thanks alot grin grin grin
Re: Rover! Rover! Rover! by Nobody: 9:24am On Oct 31, 2007
Easybaby:

@siena . . .you are too much grin

Thanks alot grin grin grin

Glad I could help. smiley
Re: Rover! Rover! Rover! by zignorr(m): 9:59am On Oct 31, 2007
@siena . . .Thanks so much for that info about cars . . . .it has gone a long way in helping me to choose a better car grin

zignor cool cool cool
Re: Rover! Rover! Rover! by illusion2: 3:31pm On Nov 01, 2007
@poster
it all depends on what you're looking at,but as advised I wld avoid a Rover due to the company's current status.

If its your first car & you intend to go for a 'tokunbo' go for a Honda or Toyota not earlier than 1999.

Cheers
Re: Rover! Rover! Rover! by ADONIZ: 5:35pm On Nov 01, 2007
Hi Siena,
Whats the problem with a Honda Legend with a V6 engine
More specifically whats the problem with a V6 engine as most people have advised me against buying a car with one.
Please advise.
Re: Rover! Rover! Rover! by Nobody: 9:46pm On Nov 01, 2007
ADONIZ:

Hi Siena,
Whats the problem with a Honda Legend with a V6 engine
More specifically whats the problem with a V6 engine as most people have advised me against buying a car with one.
Please advise.

Honda Legend, 2.5 / 2.7V6 24V.

Nothing wrong with them at all. It all depends on the level of expertise available, come repairs / service times.

I personally like them. Sure, they'll be less economical than a 4 cylinder engine, but I like high performance, so that wouldn't be an issue, as far as I'm concerned. They are silky smooth, and will pull from very low speeds with ease in high gear, requiring no down shifts (if it's a manual, most were auto).

People tend to assume (wrongly) that a V6 would be less economical to run than a 4 cylinder motor, but look at the size of the car. A 4 cylinder 2.0 16V will return worse mpg! An engines ability to cruise easily with very little throttle opening will determine how economical it will be, as long as it's driven properly.

The Honda Legend V6 also has a very crowded engine bay, and will be quite daunting to all but the experienced mechanic. But, they are strong engines, and will rack up starship miles before needing serious attention, as long as it's looked after.
Re: Rover! Rover! Rover! by Roughlen(m): 8:56am On Nov 02, 2007
infact, you have made me fall more in love with the v6 honda legend
i have always driven V6 engines but bro,dem dey swallow fuel
my 10liters of fuel takes me just about 80km wen travelling
thats a lotsa gas man.
Re: Rover! Rover! Rover! by IjebuBoi(m): 9:37am On Nov 02, 2007
Siena, I sincerely appreciate what you are doing on this forum. Can you please educate me on the Isuzu Rodeo LS 2002. Hoew reliable is it? What's the performance like? What compares with it. I read review somewhere and it was accorded 44% overall. Does this mean it has a below average perfomence capability. Thanks
Re: Rover! Rover! Rover! by adechuks(m): 9:06am On Nov 05, 2007
Colonel Siena,
Thanks for all your posts.

What do you think of a Freelander 2002/03. It's a V6
Re: Rover! Rover! Rover! by Sunnyjean(m): 11:00am On Nov 17, 2007
please what do u think about VOLVO, interms of maintenance,fuel consumption and parts available
Re: Rover! Rover! Rover! by cybersleek(m): 4:32pm On Nov 17, 2007
Hello everyone in the house, i can see that sienna is doing justice to all the questions of the auto afficionado's in nairaland. You cant get better advice than he has given you, especially for free. If you want any rover product like he said, be wary of any rover that carries the k series engines, they are not very reliable, and will cost an arm and a leg to fix if ever you can get a mechanic in nigeria. As for those built in collaboration with honda, they are as good as their honda conterparts, so dont be scared to pick up a well looked after specimen. The person who wanted information about the volvo, you neglected to mention what model it was? ultimately, irrespective of what car you decide to buy, it depends on how well looked after the car is and how much you adhere to the manufacturer's instructions, although some cars suffer from poor build quality to start with. Feel free to post your questions on line and i will try to answer them though i doubt if i can do better than sienna is doing though. Cheers!
Re: Rover! Rover! Rover! by adekennis(m): 11:19am On Nov 19, 2007
@Easybaby,congrats bank don giv you dat loan wey you talk say you request for? shocked shocked
abi where you see money?? shocked
lol just kidding ooo grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
go buy hummer jare grin
Re: Rover! Rover! Rover! by CHIMSKY(m): 1:02am On Nov 20, 2007
WHAT BOUT THE HONDA ACCORD 1988 MODEL AND VOLKSWAGEN JETTA EXECUTIVE (OLD MODEL)WHAT ARE THEIR PECULIARITIES?
Re: Rover! Rover! Rover! by iykezoral: 1:19pm On Dec 04, 2007
Hello Siena,

Thanks for all your explanations, you are really wonderful.

Please, what model of Honda accord ( b/w 1998 and 2000) models has a problematic and expensive gear box ranging b/w 250k and 300k. I actually need a honda accord of these model range but need to be advised further.

thanks.
Re: Rover! Rover! Rover! by proo212(m): 6:52pm On Dec 04, 2007
Siena is probably the best to answer your question as he deals with the mechanics of these cars but I believe Hondas and the equivalent Rover cars have issues with selecting reverse gear. I think this a known Honda issue but I have never heard of the gearbox failing though
Re: Rover! Rover! Rover! by romeo(m): 10:09pm On Jan 16, 2008
I have a Rover 75 2.5 engine and i think it's a nice car but the parts are a major problem especially when you have it in Nigeria, i always go home with some essential parts each time i come back to Nigeria

But i don't know much about other Rover cars

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Toyota Highlander 2008 Model Vs Lexus RX 330 2007 Model. Ur Advice / Shoe Or Foot Driving Which One Is The Best ? / Ford's “Weather Factory” Test Centre Can Create Any Weather Condition You Want

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.