Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,866 members, 7,802,781 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:25 PM

Blame Me Also For Failed Hostage Rescue – Jonathan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Blame Me Also For Failed Hostage Rescue – Jonathan (5599 Views)

VP Sambo Held Hostage In Kano / External Forces Stalled Chibok Girls Rescue – Jonathan / External Forces Stalled Chibok Girls Rescue – Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Blame Me Also For Failed Hostage Rescue – Jonathan by OAM4J: 4:30am On Mar 16, 2012
I’m partly to blame for failed hostage rescue – Jonathan

President Goodluck Jonathan said on Thursday he would take some of the responsibility for a failed hostage rescue attempt in which an Italian and a British man died in Sokoto.

Kidnappers killed Franco Lamolinara and Chris McManus on Thursday last week while a raid to free them was under way, according to British government sources briefed on the matter.

The case drew criticism from top Italian officials, who questioned why Rome was not consulted before the operation, which was launched by Nigerian forces with support from Britain.

In an interview with CNN on Thursday, Jonathan said Nigerian authorities had worked with the British and other international intelligence agencies, but did not specify who the other nations were.

Jonathan said Nigeria took its share of the blame for the operation’s failure.

He said, “We worked with the international intelligence system. If there was success, there would have been a collective glory. Since we did not quite succeed, well, we all take responsibility.”

“So I cannot say I will not take part of that responsibility: yes, I do. I’m the President of the country.”

Britain said it had not been possible to inform Italy of the operation until it was under way because of the fast moving situation on the ground and the “imminent and growing danger” to the hostages’ lives.

Jonathan said the raid was initiated after conversations between the captors were intercepted.

The hostages had been moved several times and there were fears they would be taken out of Nigeria, he said.

The escape of one of the alleged kidnappers during an arrest the day before the failed rescue attempt also raised fears McManus and Lamolinara would be killed, the president said.

Jonathan said he was not aware of any demand for a ransom, or of any ransom payment having been made.

“In this particular case, no family member informed security agencies that they (the captors) had reached out to them for ransom,” he told CNN.

An autopsy conducted on Lamolinara’s body on its return to Rome revealed he had been shot four times, according to Italian media reports.

http://www.punchng.com/news/im-partly-to-blame-for-failed-hostage-rescue-jonathan/
Re: Blame Me Also For Failed Hostage Rescue – Jonathan by DuduNegro: 4:40am On Mar 16, 2012
that's a dumb creek statement. . . other than Jonathan, who else can and should we blame?
Re: Blame Me Also For Failed Hostage Rescue – Jonathan by OAM4J: 4:49am On Mar 16, 2012
He should take the blame as the C in C for the security lapses in all Boko Haram bombings too and do us a favour by tendering his resignation letter. It is an honorable thing to do.
Re: Blame Me Also For Failed Hostage Rescue – Jonathan by Yeske2(m): 7:58am On Mar 16, 2012
Before nko, who are we to blame?
Re: Blame Me Also For Failed Hostage Rescue – Jonathan by naijaking1: 8:44am On Mar 16, 2012
OAM4J: He should take the blame as the C in C for the security lapses in all Boko Haram bombings too and do us a favour by tendering his resignation letter. It is an honorable thing to do.

Unfortunately, even the so-called moderator is so politicaly myopic that he doesn't even understand the virtues involved when the president has the nerves and the honesty to said, "I take the blame for all that happens in my country" Like LBJ, GEJ knows that the bucks stop at his table. If you don't undersatnd it, please do yourself a favor a get educated.
If he resigns over a killing by Hausa criminals in Sokoto, then you'll replace him with Tinubu the drug pusher?
Re: Blame Me Also For Failed Hostage Rescue – Jonathan by dayokanu(m): 8:49am On Mar 16, 2012
So Mr Retardeen what are you going to do about it
Re: Blame Me Also For Failed Hostage Rescue – Jonathan by Nobody: 8:59am On Mar 16, 2012
Re: Blame Me Also For Failed Hostage Rescue – Jonathan by alex406(m): 8:59am On Mar 16, 2012
Kudos to mr president for taking the bold step by accepting the blame instead of looking for excuses,at least we all make mistakes bt hardly accept our incompetence.
Re: Blame Me Also For Failed Hostage Rescue – Jonathan by Nobody: 9:02am On Mar 16, 2012
Re: Blame Me Also For Failed Hostage Rescue – Jonathan by tunapar(m): 9:06am On Mar 16, 2012
who are we to blame anyway other than GEJ.yeye man.mtcheeeew
Re: Blame Me Also For Failed Hostage Rescue – Jonathan by Ibangap(m): 9:08am On Mar 16, 2012
President of which country? Nigeria?
Re: Blame Me Also For Failed Hostage Rescue – Jonathan by Maisuya1: 9:43am On Mar 16, 2012
Who authorised the mission- Britain
There were British soldiers involved
British lives involved.
Yet the British PM has not directly claimed responsibility, infact they do not really agree that the failure of the mission was due to them (even though it might be implied) but trust our presido, who should be tactfully dodging such question taking responsibility of a British authirized mission, ONLY OUR LEADERS CAN BE THIS UNDIPLOMATIC.

2 Likes

Re: Blame Me Also For Failed Hostage Rescue – Jonathan by yuzedo: 10:32am On Mar 16, 2012
undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Blame Me Also For Failed Hostage Rescue – Jonathan by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 10:45am On Mar 16, 2012
Mai-suya:
British lives involved.
Yet the British PM has not directly claimed responsibility, infact they do not really agree that the failure of the mission was due to them (even though it might be implied) but trust our presido, who should be tactfully dodging such question taking responsibility of a British authirized mission, ONLY OUR LEADERS CAN BE THIS UNDIPLOMATIC.

GEJ has thus saved face for UK and Italy thus cooling an emerging diplomatic fracas between Italy and Britain. while giving foreign watchers to chalk one up for Nigeria's lack of diplomacy in international matters.. so GEJ. what next, do you even realize this was an international matter? Hmmm guess tenor-elongation is what is critical on the minds of Nigerians now grin Dufus!
Re: Blame Me Also For Failed Hostage Rescue – Jonathan by 1025: 10:45am On Mar 16, 2012
British lives involved.

@mai-suya,
it is shameful that u are bold enough to mention it here that british soldiers went for a rescue mission in an independent country like nigeria that claims to be the giant of africa. will such trash happen in south afrcia?
it is good that joanthan is beginning to accept responsibilities at this stage.
remember he swore an oath to protect lives and properties.
Re: Blame Me Also For Failed Hostage Rescue – Jonathan by Arosa(m): 10:53am On Mar 16, 2012
1025:

@mai-suya,
it is shameful that u are bold enough to mention it here that british soldiers went for a rescue mission in an independent country like nigeria that claims to be the giant of africa. would such trash happen in south afrcia?

Why not? It was a joint mission.
Re: Blame Me Also For Failed Hostage Rescue – Jonathan by wesley80(m): 10:57am On Mar 16, 2012
OAM4J: He should take the blame as the C in C for the security lapses in all Boko Haram bombings too and do us a favour by tendering his resignation letter. It is an honorable thing to do.

You should take the blame as the Mod for the frequent tribal jibes and ever increasing number of bigots this section has been continuously sprouting and do us all a favour by tendering your resignation letter. It would be most honourable, or does anyone need to tell you you've Failed? How do I sound?
Re: Blame Me Also For Failed Hostage Rescue – Jonathan by nasty45(m): 11:02am On Mar 16, 2012
Na me de wan blame before.MTCHEW.abeg lemme oh
Re: Blame Me Also For Failed Hostage Rescue – Jonathan by chakula: 11:09am On Mar 16, 2012
ok
Re: Blame Me Also For Failed Hostage Rescue – Jonathan by Afam4eva(m): 11:14am On Mar 16, 2012
Na my papa i for blame before?
Re: Blame Me Also For Failed Hostage Rescue – Jonathan by Maisuya1: 11:18am On Mar 16, 2012
1025:

@mai-suya,
it is shameful that u are bold enough to mention it here that british soldiers went for a rescue mission in an independent country like nigeria that claims to be the giant of africa. will such trash happen in south afrcia?

My guy don't get it twisted. That interview was not meant for the Nigerian public, if GEJ is really concerned about the breach of our sovereignty he should be addressing the nation on NTA and explaining to us naijapals, while blasting the British for bungling the operation (or better still keep shut). The only reason he is on CNN singing is because of the row between the English and the Mafians and probably the British PM asked him to come in and take some of the fire aimed at Britain (since Nigeria is "diplomatically expendable"wink so guy, read deeper into what's really happening.
Re: Blame Me Also For Failed Hostage Rescue – Jonathan by emmysam2: 11:41am On Mar 16, 2012
Jonathan said Nigeria took its share of the blame for the operation’s failure.

He said, “We worked with the international intelligence system. If there was success, there would have been a collective glory. Since we did not quite succeed, well, we all take responsibility.”

I Strongly disagree with GEJ. There is no such thing as "Collective Glory" in Nigeria. What we have continually witnessed is FAILURES UPON FAILURES!
Besides, why engage in a spurious Military assignment that you know next to nothing about? Go ask Obama and the American Tactical Military Contingent that raided and killed Osama bin Laden how many months of planning it took for the operation to be successful. Must Nigerian government continually give dumb excuses for their inefficiencies?
Re: Blame Me Also For Failed Hostage Rescue – Jonathan by gulfer: 11:49am On Mar 16, 2012
He needs a lecture on international diplomacy.
Re: Blame Me Also For Failed Hostage Rescue – Jonathan by dadicvila(m): 11:57am On Mar 16, 2012
so your father will take over abi??you will not blame the people that promised to make the country ungovernable
Re: Blame Me Also For Failed Hostage Rescue – Jonathan by Pakavy(m): 12:32pm On Mar 16, 2012
then let him clean up his mess
Re: Blame Me Also For Failed Hostage Rescue – Jonathan by mcchegzy(m): 12:34pm On Mar 16, 2012
ok....we blame you, wat else?
Re: Blame Me Also For Failed Hostage Rescue – Jonathan by kokoA(m): 12:46pm On Mar 16, 2012
As oyinbo dey invold uncle Joe don take blame abi.. Wht of all d naija pple wey BH don kill..? Who will take the blame? Dis dude just finished listening to Akon's track ''put the blame on me'' before talking i guess.
Re: Blame Me Also For Failed Hostage Rescue – Jonathan by hakanai(m): 12:55pm On Mar 16, 2012
President GEJ stop the ,trying to take the blame o!!Even the Italians have kept the heat on prime Minister Cameron for his decision to give you ago ahead.Where he could have shared the intel and decisions with his fellow EU brother.Also the Italians have said even before this,the UK is fond of ignoring them over critical matters that really should be there own to decide.So no carry this nation or yourself put in between this two developed nations.They understand we are under developed and that is why they have focused there criticism on each other.They know they could have done better than this and they know our capabilities towards this.Otherwise they would have being heating the nation up over this incidence!!!
My presido please observe sense in this and let them dialogue o!
Re: Blame Me Also For Failed Hostage Rescue – Jonathan by namfav(m): 1:05pm On Mar 16, 2012
will he accept blame for the nigerians that die every day from preventable things? or is it because of the color of their skin? dumb president
Re: Blame Me Also For Failed Hostage Rescue – Jonathan by jmaine: 1:27pm On Mar 16, 2012
wesley80:
[size=16pt]
You should take the blame as the Mod for the frequent tribal jibes and ever increasing number of bigots this section has been continuously sprouting and do us all a favour by tendering your resignation letter. It would be most honourable, or does anyone need to tell you you've Failed? How do I sound?
[/size]

Bros . . . .You do well . .now lets hear from those twats who were gleefully in support of his statement . . .
Re: Blame Me Also For Failed Hostage Rescue – Jonathan by niddamugu(m): 2:17pm On Mar 16, 2012
This man is losing it per second per second. Displaying is weakness to the international community. angry angry angry I tire for this Azikiwe man o! The world is blaming Cameron for the failed attack and you are saying they should give a share of it. Or do you think they give money for that? grin grin grin grin
Re: Blame Me Also For Failed Hostage Rescue – Jonathan by kemmeye: 2:43pm On Mar 16, 2012
so who does he think we ahve been blaming all this while

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Sex On Movie Location: Alexx Ekubo And Adunni Ade Nabbed Making Love / Secret Video Reveals Pastor TB Joshua’s secrets / No One Shot In London: Shia Procession Bring To A Halt London's Busiest Street

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.