Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,987 members, 7,799,383 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 08:06 PM

Arik Suspends London-abuja Flight From The 25th March - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Arik Suspends London-abuja Flight From The 25th March (4605 Views)

Ebola: Arik Suspends Flights To Liberia, Sierra Leone / Ebola: Arik Air Suspends Flights To Liberia, Sierra Leone / Lagos To Abuja Flight Cost - Arik Air (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Arik Suspends London-abuja Flight From The 25th March by mukina2: 12:10pm On Mar 16, 2012
Arik Air ‏ @ArikAir
Just announced; suspension of London-Abuja flight, effective 25th March for call centre #s to contact about re-booking http://www.arikair.com/ng/CONTACT-US/Call-Centre.aspx
https://twitter.com/#!/ArikAir/status/180606659452862464
Re: Arik Suspends London-abuja Flight From The 25th March by stagger: 12:22pm On Mar 16, 2012
They should make up their minds about what they want. haba!
Re: Arik Suspends London-abuja Flight From The 25th March by otokx(m): 12:25pm On Mar 16, 2012
Its like these guys are about to fold
Re: Arik Suspends London-abuja Flight From The 25th March by ifyalways(f): 12:27pm On Mar 16, 2012
After all the noise "on and about" that route?lol

What are their reasons,not-profitable route?Business as usual for BA and Virgin. . .and they must be having the longest and best laugh here.Before a kid goes dancing where elders fear to step on,s/he would do well to ask questions.
Re: Arik Suspends London-abuja Flight From The 25th March by toyemz(f): 12:36pm On Mar 16, 2012
nice

what about the lagos london route?

is that still on?
Re: Arik Suspends London-abuja Flight From The 25th March by agiboma(f): 12:54pm On Mar 16, 2012
Perhapes it was not their fault, many things could have caused the cancillation of this service. They may have had some trouble with the heathrow airport landing authority, many airlines have issues with the various airport and their policies and landing fees. Lots of things happen in the airline business, i think they where forced out and it was not their choice to come out willingly. They should try London-Gatwick its the lesser of the two evils. Just think how nice it would be if they where no longer providing the service, ahhh yes more business for BA, and Virgin atlantic and co. Its all politics IMO

1 Like

Re: Arik Suspends London-abuja Flight From The 25th March by omar22(m): 1:04pm On Mar 16, 2012
They may have had some trouble with the heathrow airport landing authority, many airlines have issues with the various airport and their policies and landing fees. Lots of things happen in the airline business, i think they where forced out and it was not their choice to come out willingly.

They always land after 4pm which means they dont pay the premium landing rate.... to me its basically POOR MANAGEMENT... I travelled with them in 2009 the service was fantastic the plane was clean, everything was working I think it was a foreign comapny that was managing the airline.

In 2011 I went on it again..... Never again I would fly with Arik... so useless, the crew were so rude, nothing worked etc
Re: Arik Suspends London-abuja Flight From The 25th March by Mayflowa(m): 1:51pm On Mar 16, 2012
I know they will fold up soon. Recently, I and three other were frustrated when the one white airline supervisor told his checking staff to close down in our present because the flight was 1.30hr to take off even when we were on queue. I was like %&^£$%.
I have to pay N147,000 like the other because our ticket were not changeable ,to rebook the next day. I slept in the airport that cold night.You know what... not more than 25passengers weere on board on Friday! All their customers have been ill-treated! I hate them myself! I would never take Arik in my life!
Re: Arik Suspends London-abuja Flight From The 25th March by brixton: 3:01pm On Mar 16, 2012
Arik air is crab
Re: Arik Suspends London-abuja Flight From The 25th March by Shinor(m): 3:29pm On Mar 16, 2012
Should Arik close down, I will come speedily to one conclusion. Nigerians can't run a decent airline business. Before Arik, It was Inter Continental owned by the same guy who owns Victor Vanni Security. The company folded up. OKADA. BELLVIEW. ALBARKA. SOSOLISO. ADC. CAPITAL. All dead.
Last Year Air Nigeria made noise that they were coming to Gatwick Airport from September 1st. They didn't do jack and failed to apologise. Is it that we cannot operate an airline? If we struggle to operate a scheduled bus service guess an airline will be an uphill task
The best local airline in Nigeria today is Indian owned and run - DANA.
Re: Arik Suspends London-abuja Flight From The 25th March by Nobody: 10:33pm On Mar 16, 2012
ђã†̥ really happened, poor management ø® they were muscled out?
Re: Arik Suspends London-abuja Flight From The 25th March by CELL2ME2: 9:49am On Mar 17, 2012
Arik was compelled to suspend its services on the route following the inability of the UK and Nigeria governments to come to agreeable terms on the 2008 Bilateral Air Services Agreement (BASA). Under the terms of the BASA Arik was allocated seven (7) frequencies per week in respect of the Lagos/ London, Heathrow service and seven (7) per week for the Abuja/ London, Heathrow service. The total of 14 frequencies is out of 21 available for Nigerian carriers under the BASA.

However, an anomaly exists between access to slots in the respective countries with the Nigerian government matching the allocation of slots with frequencies therefore giving UK carriers unfettered access to its full complement of 21 slots at Abuja and Lagos airports. However, this is not reciprocated in the UK with the authorities drawing a distinction between allocation of frequencies and access to slots, claiming that an application for landing slots at UK airports is a process separate from the BASA entitlement.

From the inception of the route in November 2009, Arik has been in a slot-lease agreement with a UK carrier, leasing arrival/ departure slots on the Abuja/ London route at Heathrow. At the end of the summer schedule (October 2011), the UK carrier that Arik was in the slot-lease agreement with for this route advised the airline of its intention to sell the company and began to wind down its contractual arrangements with Arik Air. Without these commercially arranged slots Arik Air was forced to suspend operations at the start of the winter schedule (2011).

Immediate aero-political discussions were held by the respective governments to resolve the long-existing and underlying anomaly in the BASA. As an abridgement, the UK authorities facilitated the temporary continuation of the commercial lease of these slots in support of Arik Air’s Abuja/ London, Heathrow operation. This interim solution was only available up until 25th March (2012). Unfortunately, despite the best efforts of both governments, there has been no solution found. The situation remains as it was at the end of October 2011 with Arik Air having no landing/arrival slots after March 2012 thus forcing it to suspend the route.

Dr Michael Arumemi-Ikhide, Group CEO/ President of Arik Air, commented on the suspension of the Abuja/ London route:
“Whilst it is regrettable to have to suspend our services between Abuja and London, we simply could not continue with the route due to the restrictions placed upon us in accessing arrival/ departure slots in to UK airports. It is an unfortunate situation and one that we felt was being resolved at government level and we hoped that an agreement would have been reached before the start of the summer schedule. Due to the stalemate we are therefore forced to suspend this route.
“We support any dialogue that will take place in the future between the governments on this issue and we stand ready and waiting to commence when asked to and when we feel that the imbalance had been satisfactorily redressed. Our main priority is our passengers and it is disappointing to discontinue such a critical route and reduce capacity between the countries which gives less availability to the Nigerian traveller. However, we would like to assure our customers that we are fully committed to the UK market and will continue as normal on the Lagos-London, Heathrow route with our flagship A340
Re: Arik Suspends London-abuja Flight From The 25th March by CELL2ME2: 9:54am On Mar 17, 2012
Shinor: Should Arik close down, I will come speedily to one conclusion. Nigerians can't run a decent airline business. Before Arik, It was Inter Continental owned by the same guy who owns Victor Vanni Security. The company folded up. OKADA. BELLVIEW. ALBARKA. SOSOLISO. ADC. CAPITAL. All dead.
Last Year Air Nigeria made noise that they were coming to Gatwick Airport from September 1st. They didn't do jack and failed to apologise. Is it that we cannot operate an airline? If we struggle to operate a scheduled bus service guess an airline will be an uphill task
The best local airline in Nigeria today is Indian owned and run - DANA.
Their reason for suspension of this route is not about stuff its all about the inability of the UK and Nigeria governments to come to agreeable terms on the 2008 Bilateral Air Services Agreement (BASA). Under the terms of the BASA Arik was allocated seven (7) frequencies per week in respect of the Lagos/ London, Heathrow service and seven (7) per week for the Abuja/ London, Heathrow service. The total of 14 frequencies is out of 21 available for Nigerian carriers under the BASA.

Its b/cos of the kind of Government we ve

(1) (Reply)

Direction To JKK Building / For People Within United State, New York To Be Precise. / Lagos To Owerri Is How Many Hours

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.