Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,899 members, 7,802,902 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:44 AM

Port-Harcourt, Awka, Enugu, Or Owerri? (Relocating To East) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Port-Harcourt, Awka, Enugu, Or Owerri? (Relocating To East) (19383 Views)

Poll: Best place to live in the Eastern Nigeria

Enugu: 52% (41 votes)
Port Hacourt: 7% (6 votes)
Owerri: 26% (21 votes)
Awka: 2% (2 votes)
Calabar: 10% (8 votes)
This poll has ended

I Will Relocate Back To East If Apc Win Lagos State Again- Ifeduba / Don't Run Away To East Gov Yero Of Kaduna State Appeals To Ndigbo / Ngige Triumphs Over Dora Akunyili At Court Of Appeal In Awka, Enugu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Port-Harcourt, Awka, Enugu, Or Owerri? (Relocating To East) by ZUBY77(m): 9:07pm On Mar 16, 2012
Planning To Relocate To East

I want to live in Eastern Nigeria. I have heard about PH, Awka, Enugu, and Owerri. I like quiet and well planned cities with good road networks, less pollution, standard super malls, airport, stadium, good hospital, night clubs/life and all those things that Americans enjoy. Which city in the east can accommodate my desires?
Re: Port-Harcourt, Awka, Enugu, Or Owerri? (Relocating To East) by agiboma(f): 9:11pm On Mar 16, 2012
ZUBY77: I want to live in Eastern Nigeria. I have heard about PH, Awka, Enugu, and Owerri. I like quiet and well planned cities with good road networks, less pollution, standard super malls, airport, stadium, good hospital, night clubs/life and all those things that Americans enjoy. Which city in the east can accomodate my desires ?

I am not sure about Owerri but Port has all the things you quoted in your request list, except for the Super mall i have not seen any of those around, in comparison to western standards.
Re: Port-Harcourt, Awka, Enugu, Or Owerri? (Relocating To East) by wesley80(m): 9:30pm On Mar 16, 2012
^^ PH isnt what i'll call a 'quiet' City, in terms of 'hustle and bustle' in 9ja, after Lagos for me its PH (I stand corrected). I've only visited Enugu but I think its what you're looking for. Owerri is also a very nice well planned town but falls short in the area of huge shopping malls.
Re: Port-Harcourt, Awka, Enugu, Or Owerri? (Relocating To East) by Beaf: 9:44pm On Mar 16, 2012
ZUBY77: I want to live in Eastern Nigeria. I have heard about PH, Awka, Enugu, and Owerri. I like quiet and well planned cities with good road networks, less pollution, standard super malls, airport, stadium, good hospital, night clubs/life and all those things that Americans enjoy. Which city in the east can accomodate my desires ?

Go to Akwa Ibom or Cross River.
I especially recommend Akwa Ibom, it is the fastest developing part of Nigeria with several state of the art facilities and investment opportunities.
The luscious women are a bonus for the lonely, unattached male. You know the drill! grin

2 Likes

Re: Port-Harcourt, Awka, Enugu, Or Owerri? (Relocating To East) by SamMilla1(m): 9:52pm On Mar 16, 2012
Modified
Re: Port-Harcourt, Awka, Enugu, Or Owerri? (Relocating To East) by SamMilla1(m): 9:55pm On Mar 16, 2012
I have been to all the cities you mentioned and i would recommend Enugu for you. Well it is the capital of the old eastern region. The best shopping mall in the country, the shoprite, opened late last year and trust me, it is far better than 80% of European malls. Then the Nnamdi Azikiwe stadium which hosts Enugu Rangers also hosted Nigeria 99 U20 World cup and Nigeria 2009 U17 World cup. The Akanu Ibiam International Airport is about 5 Minutes drive from the city center. UNTHospital and Niger Foundation hospitals boast of the best Doctors in the Country. The road networks are second only to Abuja with street lights everywhere. I even drive until 2am without headlamps. Ojukwus, Ekweremmadus, Peter Obis etc all live there. Dora Akunyili, Jim Nwobodo, Ken Nnamani and many more all live in this quiet heaven.
You can enter the city by road through double laned express from Awka, from PH and from Abakiliki. The highlight of the city is that it is very calm and well planned by British colo masters. Welcome to Coal city.

6 Likes

Re: Port-Harcourt, Awka, Enugu, Or Owerri? (Relocating To East) by wesley80(m): 10:26pm On Mar 16, 2012
^^ I feel tempted myself.
Re: Port-Harcourt, Awka, Enugu, Or Owerri? (Relocating To East) by pluto04(m): 10:57pm On Mar 16, 2012
Depending wether you classify Calabar as the east. I'll recomend the city. One of the most beautiful in Nigeria with relatively low cost of living. Enugu is not bad and Oweri is definetely worth considering. These 3 cities have decent night life but not on the scale of big cities like PH.

You are more likely to find the following together without traveling great distance only in PH.
standard super malls, airport, stadium, good hospital, night clubs/life and all those things that Americans enjoy

However, PH is very far from quite and you have to constantly be on your guard.
Re: Port-Harcourt, Awka, Enugu, Or Owerri? (Relocating To East) by OneNaira6: 11:40pm On Mar 16, 2012
I'll recommend my state Delta, Asaba grin wink but if do not want delta then you should try Enugu, owerri, Akwa-ibom and calabar. They fit the category of what you are looking for. PH is also good but it is not quiet.
Re: Port-Harcourt, Awka, Enugu, Or Owerri? (Relocating To East) by MrGlobe(m): 11:49pm On Mar 16, 2012
Enugu is where you are lookign for. Bye
Re: Port-Harcourt, Awka, Enugu, Or Owerri? (Relocating To East) by tigerleggs(m): 11:59pm On Mar 16, 2012
East ke! It's already filled up. That why the Ibos are leaving their ancestral land en mass for space. Why not try Maiduguri, Bauchi, Kano or any of the Bokoland. It's lively with Xmas bangers(bombs) and Barca Boys(Bokoboys) I've made reservations for you.

2 Likes

Re: Port-Harcourt, Awka, Enugu, Or Owerri? (Relocating To East) by BlackPikiN(m): 12:44am On Mar 17, 2012
^^^^Mad man.
Re: Port-Harcourt, Awka, Enugu, Or Owerri? (Relocating To East) by Ejine(m): 1:30am On Mar 17, 2012
I think you should try Onitsha.
Re: Port-Harcourt, Awka, Enugu, Or Owerri? (Relocating To East) by ektbear: 1:36am On Mar 17, 2012
What do you intend to do for a living? Start your own business or work for someone else?

I have a high opinion of Port Harcourt myself (having lived there briefly), but don't know much about how it compares to other major Eastern cities as far as business potential.
Re: Port-Harcourt, Awka, Enugu, Or Owerri? (Relocating To East) by GAR3TH(m): 2:20am On Mar 17, 2012
I'll recommend Uyo located in Akwa Ibom state. Its a small city with good developing infrastructure and good government. There is a mall [u/c] in the city and the city is fairly quiet, almost to quiet.

Another good city is Calabar located in Cross Rivers state. This city has it all from shopping and entertainment to social life and leisure. Calabar has the best infrastructure for its size in nigeria and is known for being nigeria's cleanest city. But what sets calabar out from other small quiet cities are the job opportunities and businesses located in calabar.

Though Calabar is Nice its mainly for the young crowd, though its still a good place to raise a family. Enugu, located in Enugu state, is my top choice for families. This city has a mall and and is fairly quiet. Though the infrastructure is not on the same level as Uyo or Calabar, the city is rapidly developing with the current progressive government. Enugu is surrounded by other cities that are only minutes away, not like calabar or uyo in which you'll have to drive some miles and hours to other close cities. Another reason why Enugu is a good choice is because there are numerous houses being built there so finding a home should be easier than other cities.

Owerri is nice but Its way to quiet and homes and businesses are waaay to spread out.
Re: Port-Harcourt, Awka, Enugu, Or Owerri? (Relocating To East) by aljharem(m): 2:22am On Mar 17, 2012
One_Naira: I'll recommend my state Delta, Asaba grin wink but if do not want delta then you should try Enugu, owerri, Akwa-ibom and calabar. They fit the category of what you are looking for. PH is also good but it is not quiet.

That is not the east, where is ur geography ?
Re: Port-Harcourt, Awka, Enugu, Or Owerri? (Relocating To East) by aljharem(m): 2:24am On Mar 17, 2012

I recommend Owerri in Imo state, that is the next big thing over there and maybe calabar or enugu. Port harcourt is dry and if you are used to city life such as Abuja or Lagos, you might not like PH

Moreover, Imo would be the next big state in Nigeria very soon, I suggest you familiarise yourself with the state wink
Re: Port-Harcourt, Awka, Enugu, Or Owerri? (Relocating To East) by Mowire: 3:02am On Mar 17, 2012
@zubby, I grew up and reside in Lagos, did my bachelors in Owerri (owerre) NYSC in PH (why the history?). You may not get all you looking for now in Owerri, but I can assure you of peace, quiet night life cos Owerri doesn't really sleep completely, plus the place is flourishing. PH sure have more evil than good for one llke you.
Re: Port-Harcourt, Awka, Enugu, Or Owerri? (Relocating To East) by OneNaira6: 3:20am On Mar 17, 2012
alj harem:

By the way, wetin concern you If I put my state as East?

First of all Asaba Delta is East
Second of all E no concern you if I call my state and people as Eastern; even if I call them Southeastern, it still does not concern you.

Are you from Asaba? No
Are you deltan? No
Does it concern you? No

Then waka go and don't disturb me for here.

9 Likes

Re: Port-Harcourt, Awka, Enugu, Or Owerri? (Relocating To East) by Onlytruth(m): 3:20am On Mar 17, 2012
alj harem:

It is technically the East because it is just across the Niger from Onitsha. Another thing going for Asaba is the airport for those who need quick access.
It hosts a lot of Nollywood locations and stars too.
Re: Port-Harcourt, Awka, Enugu, Or Owerri? (Relocating To East) by Yeske2(m): 7:03am On Mar 17, 2012
Ejiné: I think you should try Onitsha.
No, let him choose between Enugu and Owerri, Onitsha is business oriented and fast paced.
Re: Port-Harcourt, Awka, Enugu, Or Owerri? (Relocating To East) by Yeske2(m): 7:09am On Mar 17, 2012
One_Naira: I'll recommend my state Delta, Asaba grin wink but if do not want delta then you should try Enugu, owerri, Akwa-ibom and calabar. They fit the category of what you are looking for. PH is also good but it is not quiet.
Asaba? Well sha but don't you think Onitsha is extending into Asaba fast (not surprising as twin cities ), much traffic and congestion though night life still cool.
Re: Port-Harcourt, Awka, Enugu, Or Owerri? (Relocating To East) by stiyke(m): 8:01am On Mar 17, 2012
DO your best to visit and spend at least 2 nights in PH, Owerri, Asaba, Calabar, Akwaibom and lastly Enugu. Bearing your intended business in mind, you will be able to make an informed choice or at least narrow down your choices. I have been to all of them, i choose Enugu only because PH is really rowdy for me, that was then. Guess what, now enugu got even better thats why i suggest you visit enugu last.
Re: Port-Harcourt, Awka, Enugu, Or Owerri? (Relocating To East) by Nobody: 8:44am On Mar 17, 2012
Op is your village not quite ? hire some cheap labourers and they clear a plot of land then go and buy goal post(your stadium is done). you can be visiting the city in your state or nearby every weekend for your shopping and chick(villgae girls are good too just that they are mostly ugly)

as you dey chose where to live,remember 2015
Re: Port-Harcourt, Awka, Enugu, Or Owerri? (Relocating To East) by pendusky(m): 9:05am On Mar 17, 2012
Try Uyo in Akwa Ibom! U wont regret.
Re: Port-Harcourt, Awka, Enugu, Or Owerri? (Relocating To East) by OneNaira6: 9:05am On Mar 17, 2012
Yeske!:
Asaba? Well sha but don't you think Onitsha is extending into Asaba fast (not surprising as twin cities ), much traffic and congestion though night life still cool.

In what way is Onitsha extending to Asaba?
If you mean like migration thus overcrowding then no, I do not see it that way. I see it as a great movement for both sides. The behavior is reciprocal on both sides: many of onichaians are residing and working in Asaba just like there are tons of Asabians working and residing in Onitsha. The result of this interaction is unity, infrastructure, and development among others thus IMO it is a good thing and I wish they continue this movement.

1 Like

Re: Port-Harcourt, Awka, Enugu, Or Owerri? (Relocating To East) by freecocoa(f): 9:09am On Mar 17, 2012
OP ENUGU is where you are looking for,that's the best place to live in the east IMO,no stress of traffic jam,no over population,enough fine girls,enough food and you can get whatever you need from ROBAN stores or SHOPRITE etc ,ENUGU tops the list abeg.smiley
Re: Port-Harcourt, Awka, Enugu, Or Owerri? (Relocating To East) by Dipwater(m): 9:16am On Mar 17, 2012
I think evri city has it own challenges u can visit the cities u mentioned spend time ther to see if it will suit u owerri is cool tho. Cuz I live ther but business is kinda dull it doent have great opportunities am planning to muv out enugu wuld suit u beta
Re: Port-Harcourt, Awka, Enugu, Or Owerri? (Relocating To East) by OneNaira6: 9:16am On Mar 17, 2012
freecocoa: OP ENUGU is where you are looking for,that's the best place to live in the east IMO,no stress of traffic jam,no over population,enough fine girls,enough food and you can get whatever you need from ROBAN stores or SHOPRITE etc ,ENUGU tops the list abeg.smiley

Chei see toasting grin grin grin

see how you just dey toast Enugu, I can tell you are from Enugu no be so? wink
Re: Port-Harcourt, Awka, Enugu, Or Owerri? (Relocating To East) by Ejine(m): 9:17am On Mar 17, 2012
Yeske!:
No, let him choose between Enugu and Owerri, Onitsha is business oriented and fast paced.

Nah, don't mind me - I was just playing. grin

@OP
Enugu, Calabar, Uyo and Owerri are the suggestions I'll make for you. They're definitely the most serene.
Re: Port-Harcourt, Awka, Enugu, Or Owerri? (Relocating To East) by freecocoa(f): 9:18am On Mar 17, 2012
Ejiné: I think you should try Onitsha.
Have you ever been to osha so or are you being sarcastic?ABA and OSHA are competing for "the dirtiest place in nigeria".

OP abeg no near that side if you want all what you stated in your post.
Re: Port-Harcourt, Awka, Enugu, Or Owerri? (Relocating To East) by freecocoa(f): 9:20am On Mar 17, 2012
One_Naira:

Chei see toasting grin grin grin

see how you just dey toast Enugu, I can tell you are from Enugu no be so? wink
No be toasting something for reals cheesy and nah I'm not from enugu,its just a wonderful place to be in.smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Boko Haram Kills 12 In Borno / Protest In Abuja Over FG's Inability To Rescue Chibok Girls (Pics) / CAN Congratulates Buhari, Advises Him On Cabinet Selection

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.